BajaNomad

Viejo San Quintin, any opinions?

jeffg - 3-22-2009 at 09:57 AM

San Quintin is usually my stopping point for a late breakfast, we've had some great one's there. On my last drive south I saw that the restaurant Viejo San Quintin had reopened in a new location further south. I had thought that the people who ran the original location had re-located to the restaurant at Jardines.

Has anyone been to this new Viejo San Quintin restaurant? Any reviews?

Thanks,

Jeff

squintingringo - 3-22-2009 at 11:08 AM

Nice job on the building. The place is comfortable and clean, though pretty bare inside when we were there. Some artwork on the wall and if they continue in the way they started it will be very nice. The service is fine. The menu is pretty standard fare and the food mediocre. My wife had eggs with nopales and says, "it was fine", but I can tell by the tone she wasn't inspired. I had an omelet that was "fine", too, but fairly thin and flat and unexciting. Portions were a bit spartan in my opinion. You can do lots worse in SQ but I doubt it will become a landmark.

bajabound2005 - 3-22-2009 at 09:26 PM

hey, when the pickins' are slim...as they are in those parts!

elgatoloco - 3-23-2009 at 08:58 AM

Mision Santa Ysabel is where we eat breakfast in SQ. We have had many excellent meals there and not one mediocre. Now it is only breakfast but the service and food keeps us coming back.

If it's luch time it's El Paraiso for mariscos!

BajaGringo - 3-23-2009 at 09:01 AM

I second Santa Ysabel. Always good food and service. It is located on the east side of the highway on the north end of town.

rpleger - 3-23-2009 at 10:13 AM

Another vote for Santa Ysabel...

Always great food and service.

Bajahowodd - 3-23-2009 at 10:24 AM

Count me in too for Santa Ysabel.

BajaGringo - 3-23-2009 at 10:25 AM

Sounds like we need to make a reservation for a group of 8...

:biggrin:

jeffg - 3-23-2009 at 10:29 AM

Thanks squintingringo for the review, and to everyone else for the feedback. We do like Mision Sta. Ysabel, have stopped there many times. Good food, clean banos and fast service, all the elements of a great pit stop on a travel day when we are trying to make good time on the road. I like to have some good alternatives for some variety, or for those times when Sta Ysabel has a couple of busses stopped out front!

The restaurant at Jardines has been a good alternative too. It sounds like the Viejo San Quintin may have a ways to go yet... or would it now be called Nuevo Viejo San Quintin?

Gracias!

Jeff

tripledigitken - 3-23-2009 at 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by jeffg
...... We do like Mision Sta. Ysabel, have stopped there many times. Good food, clean banos and fast service, all the elements of a great pit stop on a travel day when we are trying to make good time on the road......Gracias!

Jeff

Agree on Sta Ysabel. Always a good breakfast!

Ken

squintingringo - 3-23-2009 at 11:51 AM

Misión Santa Isabel... already a landmark in SQ. You can always count on them for some good "home cookin'". Seafood, chicken, carne asada and all the mexican dishes are great. One of my favorites is the liver and onions. They even have a reasonable facsimile of an American hamburger, not to mention the pancakes and other concessions to the gringos. And there's always a pot of soup to get the meal started, and made by someone who knows how to make soup. Reasonable prices, good service, and a favorite for the locals as well. If you're coming from the north, dying of hunger, and can't drive another 15 minutes, there's a new restaurant in Vicente Guerrero just opened by the same family. I think its called the Misión or Misión Somethingorother, at the new hotel on the West side of the highway. Pretty much the same program on the food.

Bill Collector - 3-23-2009 at 12:37 PM

Hi Jeff
casa albright is thinking of relocated maybe you can stop there for breakfast. I know you have been there plenty times for dinner. Let us know
Barb

jeffg - 3-23-2009 at 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bill Collector
Hi Jeff
casa albright is thinking of relocated maybe you can stop there for breakfast. I know you have been there plenty times for dinner. Let us know
Barb

Hola Barb,

Ya, if you want to meet us in San Quintin with some breakfast burritos that'll work! Otherwise I guess Sta. Ysabel will have to do.

Actually I've had breakfast at your casa too, after holing up there for the hurricane...

See you guys next week some time!

Jeff

Bajahowodd - 3-23-2009 at 04:55 PM

Hey squint- hoping someone can give more detail. If it is the same folks, I'd like to have it as an option.

Udo - 3-23-2009 at 05:07 PM

I'll go along with the vote for Santa Ysabel. It's even worth the drive from Old Mill or Don Eddie's!

David K - 3-23-2009 at 05:22 PM

Mision Santa Isabel... is NOT a 'lost mission'! :lol:

It IS a GREAT restaurant... however! :light:

squintingringo - 3-23-2009 at 06:25 PM

Yes, Bajahowodd, it is the son of the owner of Misión Santa Isabel who is running the new restaurant under an agreement with the new hotel that owns the building. I guess he calls it 'La Misión'.

NoShoesRequired - 3-23-2009 at 06:36 PM

If you happen to be cruising through on a weekend... and can hold out another 15 mini or so to the North... head out to Shipwreck Beach (Punta San Jacinto) and dine with Rick and Maria at thier (un-advertised) B&B. Along with Rick's creatively amusing and funky-artful surroundings, he keeps the coffee Hot and cooks up omelettes that are fluffy and full of the goodness of the day. A plate full with tortillas and beans - coffee included for under $6US. Well worth the visit. Wonderful people.

(Sorry, I can not figure out how to post pictures here, you could see with your own eyes...)

David K - 3-24-2009 at 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by NoShoesRequired

(Sorry, I can not figure out how to post pictures here, you could see with your own eyes...)

Here you go: http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=24603

DianaT - 3-24-2009 at 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by squintingringo
Misión Santa Isabel... already a landmark in SQ. You can always count on them for some good "home cookin'". Seafood, chicken, carne asada and all the mexican dishes are great. One of my favorites is the liver and onions. They even have a reasonable facsimile of an American hamburger, not to mention the pancakes and other concessions to the gringos. And there's always a pot of soup to get the meal started, and made by someone who knows how to make soup. Reasonable prices, good service, and a favorite for the locals as well. If you're coming from the north, dying of hunger, and can't drive another 15 minutes, there's a new restaurant in Vicente Guerrero just opened by the same family. I think its called the Misión or Misión Somethingorother, at the new hotel on the West side of the highway. Pretty much the same program on the food.

And if hungry before there, we usually stop at Valentines in San Vicente just south of the Pemex on the east side of the street.

It is very popular with the locals---simple, but good food. Only open for breakfast and lunch.

bajabird - 8-3-2009 at 08:24 AM

Where exactly is Santa Ysabel restaraunt?

I hate to say it, but I am done with Momma E's unless taking a first timer. I seem to get heartburn there with every order of burritos (crab or lobster).

bajabound2005 - 8-3-2009 at 08:31 AM

from the food or the prices?

David K - 8-3-2009 at 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajabird
Where exactly is Santa Ysabel restaraunt?

I hate to say it, but I am done with Momma E's unless taking a first timer. I seem to get heartburn there with every order of burritos (crab or lobster).

From Woody's thread on a motel, North San Quintin: posted on 7-17-2009 at 06:20 PM

Even better... I just used Google Search and found this from BajaLife:

RESTAURANT MISION SANTA ISABEL

Located at Km 190 on the main road.

(it is on the east side of Mex 1, just as you are entering San Quintin... not Lazaro Card##es).

Oggie - 8-3-2009 at 05:13 PM

El Faro restaurant

We usually have breakfast at Mission Santa Isabel, when we are heading south, always good food and service. going North we stay at Jardines Baja and eat at the restaurant next door. On one trip north on a Monday their retaurant was closed and Carmen suggested the"EL Faro" restaurant just south of the turn-off for Jardines on the West side of the road. It turned outto be great. Carlos, the owner, is very nice and the food is deliciuos. Their cream of clam soupis wonderful.

what about tacos

BajaDanD - 8-3-2009 at 09:48 PM

Los Pablanos(SP) anybody

bajabird - 8-4-2009 at 08:30 AM

David, Thank you. I will stop in and give it a try.

As for momma e's. Its not the prices...... though do use pesos or you get taken, which i did a few months ago for 30% on dollars... They only gave 10:1 while the exchange was 14:1. My problem is the heartburn, every trip (and theres lots of them) I get it there, and i eat all over baja, and all kinds of peppers as well.... They do something that just gets to my belly. I think maybe i have learned my lesson.... finnnnnnnaaaalllllly.

chuckbolton - 8-10-2009 at 05:15 PM

mision santa isabel has been there im guessing 20+ yrs-- you dont stay around that long anywhere if its not good and reasonable-- and the locals eat there-- another good sign.

bajabird - 8-19-2009 at 02:22 PM

Ok, just back from baja sur....

On the way down. Stopped and went back north on the highway to find Santa Isabel. Ran into friends that said theyve been eating there for 18 years. Funny, I passed the place by, drove back, missed it looking for km 190, stopped at mercado, got directions.... pulled in and the lot is full of cars. GREAT PLACE. !!!! KM 189

On way back, ate at El Faro, OMG one of the best lobster/shrimp meals ever! The salsa was even fantastic with chunks of avacado in it, great salad, and NO HEARTBURN

Sorry Momma Espinoza. Times have changed.