BajaNomad

Camping Punta Chivato

Russ - 3-23-2009 at 04:49 PM

If you have made plans to camp at the "camping beach" in Punta Chivato you may want to change your plans. There was a meeting yesterday and we were in formed that the corporation that now owns much of the land around here will close the beach to camping. Access will be allowed for walk ins. The manager of the corp. will be asking the police in Palo Verde to inform vacationers/visitors before they make the trec out that there is no beach camping. I am sickened by this turn in events! The camp beach is, I believe, the icon of Punta Chivato. I started my love of this area camping on that beach as have many who live here today. This is one of the disgusting changes that we see happening through out Baja. To be simi fair to the corporation... Their manager is only looking out for their interest. He informed us that government agencies have forced him to control their holdings. If there is any damage to the land those agencies will site the corp. and it may effect their plans for development. So, to all those who have had a wonderful time camping and playing here, Punta Chivato is now a gated, guarded and private community. Chain link & barbwire fencing surrounds it and you can not get in without having your name and license recorded. I have a lot more to say but probably have gone to far already. Shortly I will remove "Punta Chivato" from my location info here.:no:

elgatoloco - 3-23-2009 at 04:56 PM

Sorry to hear that. We spent a few lovely days on the beach there all by ourselves about a decade ago, it was great.

rpleger - 3-23-2009 at 04:57 PM

Bummer

Packoderm - 3-23-2009 at 05:06 PM

Maybe Doug should create a whole separate forum called "Our Diminishing Baja Frontier" or something along those lines.

wakemall - 3-23-2009 at 06:50 PM

Punta Chivato was my first trip to Baja numerous years ago. Planned the trip for over a year. There were probably 40 homes and the hotel. We towed the 14 Valco and parked it on the beach. It is also where I learned about sting rays. Breaks my heart that new and young Baja ventures have been shut off from this fantastic part of Baja Sur!

Cardon Man - 3-23-2009 at 06:52 PM

That sucks. :mad: I hate to hear of yet another amazing spot being sacrificed to feed the machine.

toneart - 3-23-2009 at 07:03 PM

Sorry to hear that, Russ. Just in time for Semana Santa. Are these the same people that opened the new hotel and restaurant last week? :?:

Russ - 3-23-2009 at 08:00 PM

toneart, The restaurant is owned by the previous owners who got it from the ejido. As I understood it yesterday, there is no immediate plan to start development. Only remove any opportunity/ access for people to enjoy a part of Baja that happens to be owned by a corporation with no historical feeling or interest. Semana Santa here was a traditional place for many Mexican families. Past tense.:(
However, to be a little bit fair, the corporation participated in local charity events and community improvements like road repairs. I just get sick every time I go out my door and see the 8' barbed wire fence stretching up over the horizon:barf:

[Edited on 3-24-2009 by Russ]

AcuDoc - 3-23-2009 at 10:09 PM

I hate to hear this. I had not camped there as much as other places. Punta Chivato is a very special place. I will miss it and regret that I didn't stay their more in the past.

JESSE - 3-23-2009 at 10:34 PM

That problem is going to be solved soon, theres not much i can say, but the new changes wont last more than a few months.

Russ - 3-24-2009 at 05:23 AM

A glimmer of light!

mulegemichael - 3-24-2009 at 08:21 AM

russ....does that include santa ynez beach?...i know the rancher now charges a few bucks to camp there presently

Russ - 3-24-2009 at 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by mulegemichael
russ....does that include santa ynez beach?...i know the rancher now charges a few bucks to camp there presently

I think of Santa Ynez as several beaches. 1-from the runway to the end of the houses 2 -then to the estuary & 3 -from the estuary to the cliffs. Some here even have broken up the stretch with the houses with various names. Anyway, the last section that has a road sign on Hwy is really a nice beach I often forget. I didn't know of a camping charge but have heard of a lot of thefts from there. From my house I can see that there is a ranch out there near the beach but have never seen a road in to it. That section of beach is broken up between three ejidos and I THINK the rancher is scamming folks if not robbing them. Recommend that someone is always at the camp even for a short walk. This is also a beach that turtle poachers use.
Edit: Kinda got of in my own direction there and didn't answer your question.
So far as I know the corporation that has interests here does not have any on Santa Ynez beach... Well a short piece that stops at my place where their fence starts.

[Edited on 3-24-2009 by Russ]

cantinflas - 3-24-2009 at 01:09 PM

That is terrible news. Some of my best days dorado fishing came from that spot. When will it end?

Russ - 3-25-2009 at 09:31 AM

Just was informed that the beach at the south end of Santa Ynez is in fact a camp area with a caretaker of sorts. The road in is no worse than the Punta Chivato road and only 5 miles long and not the wash board yet. Also there is a daily free.

wsdunc - 3-25-2009 at 11:52 AM

The beach at Punta Chivato is a magical place, I must have camped there for a total of 10 weeks since the early 80s. First trip the beach was deserted for the whole week (late Sept). The hotel was closed. I've caught big cabrilla, dorado, and medium tuna and sailfish from my 15 foot aluminum boat there. Also got introduced to a stingray there, my wife insisted it was because I was watching the topless college girls rather than where I was walking. For me Punta Chivato is what Baja was all about. It's a shame others won't get a chance to experience what I did. I love Punta Chivato.

Pacifico - 3-25-2009 at 01:37 PM

My early baja trips used to always be to Punta Chivato. It all started when I flew down to Mulege with my Dad and one of his friends and stayed at the Serenidad. One of the days we were out fishing and we stopped in at Chivato and snorkeled. That was when the sands of baja got on my shoulders and couldn't be shaken off....:tumble: That was in 1982. I was fortunate enough to take my son down there camping about 5 years ago and he loved it! It is definitely one of those "special" places in baja. Let's hope it's not closed long..... Here I am at Punta Chivato in 1984!!!:lol: Gotta love the 80's!!!

Problem??

Dave - 3-25-2009 at 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by JESSE
That problem is going to be solved soon, theres not much i can say, but the new changes wont last more than a few months.

What problem? There's now no camping on the beach.

As it should be.

tripledigitken - 3-25-2009 at 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Dave
Quote:

What problem? There's now no camping on the beach.

As it should be.

Is that supposed to be funny?:?:

No

Dave - 3-25-2009 at 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by tripledigitken
Is that supposed to be funny?:?:

JESSE - 3-25-2009 at 04:02 PM

The previous owners told me that there is indeed a problem with some campers that are ruining it for everybody. The people that hold the concession to the federal zone, are constantly fined by Semarnat if they find trash, oil, or any sort of pollution on the beach. I have personally seen people park their cars right on the sand and stay there for weeks, wich will obviously leave fluids and trash. Also, they park right in front of peoples houses and block their views, so dont entirely blame the owners.

If you want to camp in baja, dont park your car on the beach, on front of peoples houses, and dont stay there for weeks, sometimes months on end.

Courtesy

Dave - 3-25-2009 at 04:22 PM

Quote:
If you want to camp in baja, dont park your car on the beach, on front of peoples houses, and dont stay there for weeks, sometimes months on end.

IMO, If this had been followed from the git-go there would never have been a problem.

tripledigitken - 3-25-2009 at 04:38 PM

No camping at Chivato seems a shame.

Make a portion of the area available for camping with appropriate rules, and then enforce them.

Most of the current owners of property in Chivato are there because of their exposure to camping at that beach. They built their homes knowing that the beach was used by campers. Sounds like people who live near an airport and once in their house complain about the jet noise.

Ken

Pacifico - 3-26-2009 at 12:08 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by tripledigitken
No camping at Chivato seems a shame.

Make a portion of the area available for camping with appropriate rules, and then enforce them.

Most of the current owners of property in Chivato are there because of their exposure to camping at that beach. They built their homes knowing that the beach was used by campers. Sounds like people who live near an airport and once in their house complain about the jet noise.

Ken

Well put Ken! I remember going there when there were no houses and only the hotel. Then the houses slowly appeared and suddenly some of the homeowners wanted the camping beach closed. People are funny that way....This has been a revolving issue for years. Maybe better enforcement of some rules would solve everything???

Pompano - 3-26-2009 at 07:12 AM

Ah, the good old days of Punta Chivato beach camping in it's infancy. We are talking NOSTALGIA here. :yes:

wsdunc, Pacifico, and all other old-time Chivato campers...perhaps you'll remember some scenes from 1975 - 1988? Being an unofficial part of the old hotel and nearby casa grande during those years, I had some great times enjoying the big house, restoring spartan hotel rooms, that gorgeous point of land, the fishing and diving, and welcoming all the many campers on the beaches. Memory Lane for me. Planting palms with Doc, buying patio furniture at Kobey's and many trips hauling to Chivato. Building cisterns, solar hot water panels, hauling garbage with Jorge, dove, quail, and duck hunts, did I mention the fishing!
Bill Alvarado on the left with some nice tuna. We were with my fellow Baja-wanderer, nomad aquaholic, who passed away this last June..rest in peace, old friend.

The beach camping then was second to none..the lucky foks who discovering that place way back in the day thought it was Paradise...and in a way, it was.

Although I had flown over a few times perviously, my first trip going ashore there was by cabin cruiser a few years after builder Lou Federico's departure and was a frequent resident at my casa grande room until renovator Bill Alvarado's departure. The history of the place is ...ah..interesting, to say the least. :rolleyes:

Does anyone recall Bill's two sons, Doc Lyons, George Staples, Dr. Sordo, Pepe Piano, Billy Brush, and so many others of that era? The trail in was a natural deterrent to crowds. It was a spine-busting washboard that was 4 or 40..your choice.

Then, a few years later, old flyers Rich & Jeannie from Wyoming who built the very first home there? They flew the most colorful 180 I have ever seen. (a serious search feature..makes sense if crashing enroute!) And then so many new home owners/builders arriving...and most are still there today.

But, as usual waxing nostalgic, I digress from the topic at hand...Beach camping at Chivato stopped. Temporary or permenent? We shall see.

Good or bad?.. I don't know these days... as I have lost my familiarity with the area for many years now. I do know we hosted many hundreds of well-behaved and caring campers over those early years. Naturally, there were a few malcontents..a very few, thank God. I don't know what the issue today is..perhaps camper's holding tanks? There are so many new homes out there these days. Throwing garbage, beachdriving, and camping deliberately in front of someone's house view is antogonistic and begs trouble, I would suspect.

The 'as yet' undeveloped beach areas towards Mulege and north towards San Bruno: Cannot those areas still be used for beach campers? I take it the beach camping on the lighthouse point is no longer allowed...in addition to Shell Beach?

I just had a thought....Do they still allow airplane camping at Pta. Chivato? As shown here in 1981-82.

If not, that's a pity, but Baja, she's a'changing... faster'n a bad burrito thru your colon.
I knew it was time to leave when this happened in the late 80's
;D

[Edited on 3-26-2009 by Pompano]

Russ - 3-26-2009 at 07:41 AM

Good report Pompano. :(
I really hope they'll do some improvements to the camp area and re-open it. Doubtful but a nice thought. The manager told us they would be removing the showers & outhouses soon because they'll be held responsible for the "dirt". Maybe the Santa Ynez camp will take off and be a good place for some isolated camping.

jahImpala3 - 3-26-2009 at 07:24 PM

This is a bummer. My grandparents started camping there in the late 1970's. They started taking me in the 1980's during summer vacation. I always looked foward to the epic Dorado fishing. I took my wife there for her first Dorado fishing trip in July 2007. It was a great trip. I guess I will have to try and get a place on Shell Beach. Thanks for the information Russ.

Russ - 3-27-2009 at 06:15 AM

jahImpala3, I'm hoping what ever Jesse was referring to will change the current situation on the beach but I have my doubts. The guy at the guard shack is now telling people they can access the beach by going thru my yard. I've had a couple people drive right thru my yard to the beach. Most figure out it's someones home and ask where there is an access. Samana Santa should be real interesting.

jahImpala3 - 3-27-2009 at 08:10 AM

Russ, thats too bad people are driving through your yard. I've seen pictures you have posted of your place and remember seeing it while boating the coast to check out the houses. I hope to have a place like yours in the future. Punta Chivato/Mulege is a very special place to my family and me. Hopefully at least they could stop the traffic driving across your yard.