BajaNomad

Beach fishing in Buena Vista

dtbushpilot - 3-25-2009 at 11:05 AM

We've been here for a week and haven't gone out fishing yet.....I've had to settle for fishing from the beach......such a sacrifice........dt

Quite a hand full on my "Baja bass rod"....

rpleger - 3-25-2009 at 11:09 AM

WOW....Who needs a boat?

Russ - 3-25-2009 at 11:14 AM

You're starting to pi$$ me off:spingrin:

dtbushpilot - 3-25-2009 at 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Russ
You're starting to pi$$ me off:spingrin:

In case you're not peeed off enough, that was the second one I caught. They could have been twins.....dt

BTW, I still have your cheese, hope I don't have to use it for bait.....dt

[Edited on 3-25-2009 by dtbushpilot]

Skip_Mac - 3-25-2009 at 11:28 AM

def. UFO, unidentified fishing (fishy) object; invariably a claim backed up by very blurry photos/video. See fisherman, tall tales.

Not to call names or make accusations, but what were the conditions, dates you were UFOing and how did you cook them? Let's have the.... REST OF THE STORY!

Russ - 3-25-2009 at 11:39 AM

You show the 2nd one and no ride in Bubba for you.

Bubba 12:26~1.jpg - 48kB

dtbushpilot - 3-25-2009 at 11:39 AM

Ok mac, you got me. It's really a cardboard cut out of a fish.....

Actually, they were Jack Creval in the 25lb class. I usually carry my camera but in my haste to get down to the beach after seeing a school on mackerel come out of the water I forgot it. My lovely wife took the pictures from the deck of our condo and they get blurry when I try to zoom in on them. I caught them on a Rapala Sub Walk lure but the way they were going after the mackerel a beer can probably would have worked. I caught them yesterday around 1:00 pm and released them. Don't care much for Jack Creval as a table fish, besides, I didn't want to clean them.

Anybody that knows me knows that I wouldn't make up or embelish a fish story...........ok, I lied that time......dt

[Edited on 3-25-2009 by dtbushpilot]

Osprey - 3-25-2009 at 11:55 AM

The lieing thing gets to be a habit I guess. I used to lie so much that one time my pals caught me telling the truth and I lied my way out of it. That cured me. No more lies now.

Pescador - 3-25-2009 at 12:18 PM

My daddy always said that when it comes to fishing, never let the truth get in the way of a great story.

castaway$ - 3-25-2009 at 02:06 PM

Nice Jacks, what is a Rapala Sub Walk? I don't think I've heard of that one and I'm a big Rapala fan.

dtbushpilot - 3-25-2009 at 02:12 PM

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_101...

dt

castaway$ - 3-25-2009 at 02:16 PM

Thanks for the link, I use a smaller version for smallmouth on the John Day and it kills them at the right time of the year. Which color/pattern do you find the best?

dtbushpilot - 3-25-2009 at 02:48 PM

I've had good luck with the silver. The Jacks were caught on a gold. I brought a few down in the 6" size but haven't tried them out yet. They cast well, the only thing that I don't like are the hooks. They are pretty light weight and need to be checked and re-bent after catching a large fish.....dt

DT.IN.LB.BAJA - 3-25-2009 at 03:13 PM

excellent afternoon fun!!

baitcast - 3-25-2009 at 03:18 PM

El Pescador Grandes catch their fish from the beach when all others must have a boat:lol:
Rob
A afternoon delight!

[Edited on 3-25-2009 by baitcast]

big jacks

mulegemichael - 3-25-2009 at 05:00 PM

yeah, the east cape is all about huge jacks...sometimes they get in the way..of the pez gallos...osprey...here's one of the locals!...actually, one of my favorite guys to fish with down there; alonzo is muy mexicano and i just roll with the punches..i enjoyed him and his family and they brought joy to my life...and monster jacks!...and roosters!..the cape is awesome1

alonzo jack cravelle.jpg - 20kB

castaway$ - 3-25-2009 at 06:41 PM

Are the jack's good to eat?

dtbushpilot - 3-25-2009 at 08:43 PM

The locals like them but I don't care for the taste. Guess a lot depends on how it's prepared. I had some caldo pescado that was made with a jack that I gave to my neighbor and it was very good. Maybe next time I catch one I will try my "carp on a cedar plank" reciepe......dt

shari - 3-26-2009 at 12:12 PM

whoa amigo!!!! nice fish dude....so glad you are into fish there and enjoying your holiday...guess you wont have to make chicken a la washing machine tub like we did in San Roque!

dtbushpilot - 3-26-2009 at 05:15 PM

Hey Shari, that "chicken a la washing machine tub" was pretty good, better than "jacks a la cedar plank". I still haven't decided if I should post a bar-b-que report with pictures or not. None of us look to be at our photographic best.

Maybe I'll let the other Nomads decide.......anybody out there in Nomadland want to see dirty pictures of San Roque yard bird?....dt

Skip_Mac - 3-28-2009 at 10:29 AM

dtbushpilot, The facts back you up...Thanks for the details, Your story and fishing credibility are four star with me. Keep up the good work (even though I turn green with envy every time I read a good fishing post). Feeling Baja deprived in Alta California...

mulegemichael - 3-28-2009 at 10:44 AM

san roque yard bird???....sure!...bring em on!