BajaNomad

Down Riggers

Trex - 4-7-2009 at 09:08 AM

I'm taking my boat from Monterey Ca. to Loreto Baja in July and leaving it there. If they will not let me fish for Salmon, I will fish for Dorado.

Is there any use for down riggers in Baja? Should I bring them with the boat or just sell them?

BajaBruno - 4-7-2009 at 09:12 AM

You might send a message to Bill Erhardt--I know he has been experimenting with downriggers lately.

Pescador - 4-7-2009 at 09:33 AM

Depends on what you want to fish for. I have tried them for yellowtail and under the right conditions they do work but are a lot of work to put up and down when there are other methods that are probably more productive. If I have a complete novice on board, however, I have used them to get that person hooked up with a fish pulling either a lure or live bait.
Sometimes when the tuna are running (which happens less and less each year) they can be productive part of a trolling spread as well as for Wahoo. I do have a friend who thinks he gets a few more hookups with downriggers for sails but my experience does not agree with that.
For Dorado, they are not going to help at all.
So, since you already have them, you might find them occasionally helpful but will probably not be the favored method.

Trex - 4-7-2009 at 10:49 AM

Bruno and Pescador, thanks for the feed back. I've emailed Bill Erhardt for his input. As Pescador mentioned, since I have them I might as well bring them, so I will. When tuna are down deep, they might come in handy.

Skeet/Loreto - 4-7-2009 at 12:09 PM

Trex.
I had my first Panga rigged for Outriggers in 1976. Used the outriggers about 2 years found that they were not necessary.
I ended up with most of my Rods 9 Footers. They could be used somewhat as out riggers.
Spent 38 years fishing out of Loreto, fish like the Mexicanos and you can catch all of the different Species and have lots of Fun.

Skeet/Loreto

Pompano - 4-7-2009 at 12:26 PM

Trex..I used downriggers on my Baja fishing boat in 1971. A 29' sportfisherman. Plus the outriggers, kites, and planing boards we have from up north..was fun to try them all down here. I caught many species of fish on all these methods, but back then there were a LOT more fish in the SOC. Still some around, though.

So by all means, bring them and have a try now and then...experiment...it's all fun!

edit to add: Aha..beat you by 5 years, Skeet. ;D

[Edited on 4-7-2009 by Pompano]

Skeet/Loreto - 4-7-2009 at 02:41 PM

Trex. If you go to the right place at the right time you can catch all the fish you can Eat.!!

Now if you want to try for Yellowfin go South to the Rock called Las Animas off of the North East of Isla San Jose.{about 35 miles South of Loreto} They are so thick at times you can ske on them. It will depend on whether or not they are coming in for this year.

Ok Pomp but my first trip was 67 when I fished out of San Nicholas with Pappa Murillo{Daniel;s Brother}! Del Elfonzo is still the best all around fishing I have ever ever Had.

Skeet

Trex - 4-7-2009 at 03:03 PM

I look forward to getting to know the Loreto fishing community. I'm hoping to join a caravan heading down in July for the Loreto Dorado Tournament. I plan on storing the boat at Loreto Storage or Loreto Shores RV Park. The Vagabundos Club is helping me with all the documents and insurnace. Goodbye cold water and fog.

comitan - 4-7-2009 at 03:04 PM

First liar hasn't a chance!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Skeet/Loreto - 4-7-2009 at 04:11 PM

But Comitan!!! Every time I tell a Fish Story it is TRUE!!!
Like the time at the Isla when I caught 2 Grouper at 180 Lbs each, or the time I caught 2 80Lb Amberjack, or the time I was claeaning Fish and the pelicans where snaping at my legs, or the time I was diving down to 35 Feet and met a hammerhead Shark or the time I set on the isla and watched the birds nest.

Oh! Comitan, It is all true on the Sea of Cortez!! Pompano Knows!

Or the time the Whales come up to your Panga and swim by and give you a Look that tells you that they are giving you Permission to be in "Their " waters!!

Oh! that great Sea of Cortez, The Fish, the Birds, The Sharks, The Whales and all the other wonderful Creatures of the Sea and Air. Oh! how I miss it on a daily basis.

Comitan_ 2- 70Lb. Yellowfin just south of Carmen island, my wife and a 57 Lb. Dorado tons of 40 lb Yellowtail, Cabrilla, Lobster, Clams. Triggerfish!

There is no end to the "Truth of the Catch""..

Skeeter

comitan - 4-7-2009 at 06:26 PM

Skeet

Ok the time we were at Santispac 1983 were in a palapa having coffee in our sleeping bags had our lines in the water couldn't keep the sandbass off our lines so we could drink our coffee. Dorado, wahoo, pargo too many to remember.:rolleyes::rolleyes:

bill erhardt - 4-7-2009 at 07:53 PM

Tracy.......I saw this thread before I saw your U2U message. I got a downrigger after a couple of days fishing at the south reef off Catalana last year when I was getting my usual two to four yellowtail and some guys were slow trolling around me with a downrigger and loading up the boat. I am by no means an expert with the downrigger yet, but sometimes it is the answer for yellowtail. One day last week when the bite on the surface slowed and the drift was too fast to get down where the fish were holding with sliding weights I went to the rigger picked up 8 'tails in about two hours. A few days later I tried it on the same reef and didn't get a bite. So, by all means bring your downrigger with you. It won't always work for you, but if your experience is as mine has been, there will be times when it will get you more fish than fishing any other way. I have not yet used the rigger for marlin, but I know that many blues and blacks are caught on bait fished deep, and I imagine that there are also sometimes bigger yellowfin lurking below smaller ones feeding on the surface. I plan to try mine for both when the situation presents itself.

Don Alley - 4-8-2009 at 07:23 AM

A downrigger is on the list of things to buy for my boat.

I could see where one could come in handy yesterday when the yellowtail were metering at 80-120 feet. Some folks have done well at times with them here.

I also think they might be useful in the summer season. Sometimes I suspect the gamefish are holding deeper. Maybe early morning dorado may be deeper until surface temps warm? Wahoo? Tuna?

Downriggers

Pompano - 4-8-2009 at 12:00 PM

I wouldn't be without them for bottom or mid-tier fish. Freshwater or salt makes no difference to me...I use mine in both environments.

On Lake of the Woods and other northern lakes in Canada, plus some reefs & canyons in Baja, they might make the difference between catching lake trout, walleyes, wahoo... or hoisting a skunk-flag.

Even my smallest boat..a specialized backtroller, 1875 BT Yarcraft, is equipped with a single downrigger. Actually my boat of preference for all types of fishing... have used this open fisherman Up North and all over Baja. I like to fish a tiller boat when out by myself or 1-2 others. I have lots more control to stay on the fish, manuever, cast, troll, etc.

Trolling a #5 shadrap about 3 feet just off the bottom will vastly improve your success. Also trolling a Mirrolure way down deep for jurel or any other species will get you results when all else is way sloooow. Just get the belly out quick on the strike and you're good to go.

The other thing I put in this boat that is soo important these days...that barber's chair. Hydraulic pumping up and down, swivels 360 degress in superb comfort all day long.

It's all good!

bill erhardt - 4-16-2009 at 09:49 AM

The day before yesterday fishing with relatives from the Midwest who had never before caught a yellowtail, we scratched for a couple on the fly before catching nine more using a downrigger getting bit just about as soon as we got a bait down. A couple of days earlier at San Bruno Reef I could not get a bite on bait trolled behind the ball while others fly-lining or fishing with an in-line weight were staying bent. It is sure nice when the action is slow to have the rigger aboard and find that a bait trolled down in the water column is what they are looking for.

mail.google.com.jpg - 49kB

Trex - 4-17-2009 at 08:16 AM

Very nice. I will bring the down riggers with me.

Any suggestions on a safe place to store my boat in Loreto.

I'm considering Loreto Storage or Loreto Shores RV.

bill erhardt - 4-17-2009 at 10:42 AM

Tracy........If Loreto Storage is the new storage facility on the airport road, both it and Loreto Shores would be good bets. At both, I think, you can arrange storage either inside or out, and either would be secure. It would be good to have either inside storage or a good cover for your boat. The sun, wind, dust, etc. can take a toll on a boat exposed to the elements.

LaTijereta - 4-17-2009 at 12:43 PM

Trex,

You might also check with Don Rhoades, he has storage place up the street just beyond the Port Captain's Office on the righthand side.
Close to the marina and in town..

LarryK - 4-17-2009 at 01:29 PM

Don Alley, please check your u2u
Thanks