BajaNomad

big shark caught near Sta. rosalia

capt. mike - 4-12-2009 at 06:52 AM

glad i am not beach camping now!

sharksantarosalia (Custom) (2).JPG - 47kB

David K - 4-12-2009 at 06:54 AM

Very cool... a Great White?

How about some details Mike... where did you get the photo?

Shark Education

Marla Daily - 4-12-2009 at 07:04 AM

For another perspective:
www.savingsharks.com
www.sharksavers.org
www.saveoursharks.com

Don Alley - 4-12-2009 at 07:04 AM

It's an old photo from 2004. Here's another of the same fish:

Mexfish

[Edited on 4-12-2009 by Don Alley]

Pacifico - 4-12-2009 at 07:14 AM

That looks like the same shark caught on September 26th, 2004. Note the white mark on it's back near the dorsal fin and other similarities.....

Don Alley - 4-12-2009 at 07:18 AM

more info here

Cardon Man - 4-12-2009 at 07:19 AM

That's the same shark no doubt about it. Too bad it's dead.

capt. mike - 4-12-2009 at 07:26 AM

ha!!
i never said when it was caught. The pix was sent to me by a mulege resident and friend.
he didn't say.

and i am glad i am not beach camping most of the time....that is if these monsters are about....:!::!::!::O:O

bill erhardt - 4-12-2009 at 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by capt. mike

.........and i am glad i am not beach camping most of the time....that is if these monsters are about....:!::!::!::O:O

And just how is it that you think you would be at risk from sharks if you were beach camping?

capt. mike - 4-12-2009 at 08:52 AM

'cause i resemble their food.
seals and baby whales.

actually beach camping just doesn't do much for me anymore no matter what's in the water.

i like resorts. less stuck to fuff with.

nancyinpdx - 4-12-2009 at 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Cardon Man
That's the same shark no doubt about it. Too bad it's dead.

well I'm glad they ate it and did not waste the meat. I think it's horrible to kill an animal just for sport but hunting/fishing to eat is ok.

Don Alley - 4-12-2009 at 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by nancyinpdx

well I'm glad they ate it and did not waste the meat. I think it's horrible to kill an animal just for sport but hunting/fishing to eat is ok.

Methods that indiscriminately kill endangered fish, marine mammals and turtles should not be excused just because the carcasses are eaten. That fish WAS wasted.:rolleyes:

Von - 4-12-2009 at 09:03 PM

cool but that sucks! wish they would not have cought it but like everything in life sooner or later its going to die.................

htnfool - 4-13-2009 at 01:49 PM

That fish sure makes you think twice about going for a swim. I have been out dorado fishing 20 miles outta Mulege, it's hotter than hell, why not jump in the bathtub warm water and take a quicky. I think now I will just take a bucket with me.

Cardon Man - 4-13-2009 at 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by htnfool
That fish sure makes you think twice about going for a swim. I have been out dorado fishing 20 miles outta Mulege, it's hotter than hell, why not jump in the bathtub warm water and take a quicky. I think now I will just take a bucket with me.

Better chance of being struck by lightning than being bit by a great white in the Gulf of California. But hey...anything's possible. Better bring the bucket!

ok now I'll get flamed

nancyinpdx - 4-13-2009 at 08:56 PM

I know there are lots of hunters on here and I have 3 family members who think it's fun to hunt. But here's my true opinion:

I think all hunting unless you're literally starving to death, is gross and unnecessary and I don't know what is fun or thrilling about killing an animal. Yuck!

I do buy meat from the store but I could never kill the animal, know the animal personally, or see its body or carcass. Packages of meat in the store usually don't look all that gross but it is yucky that we eat dead flesh!!! Uggh! But it does taste good, doesn't it?

I am also against killing or eating endangered animals, trading in their body parts, or purposely harming their environment.
Are great whites an endangered species?

I think large nets that indiscriminately capture and kill should be banned.
And their owners should be punished for using them.

Quote:
Originally posted by Don Alley
Quote:

Methods that indiscriminately kill endangered fish, marine mammals and turtles should not be excused just because the carcasses are eaten. That fish WAS wasted.:rolleyes:

fishbuck - 4-13-2009 at 11:05 PM

Are you sure that isn't a really big Mako? Great Whites in S. Rosalia?
I seen some nice sharks in the Cortez and Pacific but never that big.
I never fish for sharks but have caught 2 small (4 FEET) Makos. They are delicious! :)

fishbuck - 4-14-2009 at 01:36 AM

Quote:
'cause i resemble their food.
seals and baby whales.

actually beach camping just doesn't do much for me anymore no matter what's in the water.

Hey Cap

When I get Campo Fishbuck built you can fly right in.
Until then, you can stay at Bill Grandstaffs place.
I'll meet you there this summer!
I have seen a few small blue sharks there. But it is the ocean so I'm guessing there might be some small (10 foot) Great Whites around and maybe some 10 foot Makos.
Keeping in mind I have seen 10 foot Blues when I have fished from San Diego.
I think Bahia SQ is safe for swimming. :)

capt. mike - 4-14-2009 at 05:22 AM

cool, i'll take you up on that. nuthin like the SQ area in summer when you live in phx.

Cardon Man - 4-14-2009 at 05:56 PM

Quote:

I do buy meat from the store but I could never kill the animal, know the animal personally, or see its body or carcass. Packages of meat in the store usually don't look all that gross but it is yucky that we eat dead flesh!!! Uggh! But it does taste good, doesn't it?

I would much rather kill and handle the flesh myself than buy from the store. Don't get me wrong, I buy pork and beef and such. I don't raise such animals and it's a lot of work to do so I'm sure. There is great satifaction gained from fishing/hunting that results in a healthy, naturaly raised animal that provides good food. The catching or killing is only part of the equation. Being able to handle the product yourself from death to table is very rewarding. Not to mention the benefits of eating natural, organic, chemical-free flesh be it fish, foul, or game. Good stuff!

[Edited on 4-15-2009 by Cardon Man]

elizabeth - 4-14-2009 at 06:31 PM

Great whites are a threatened species...

[Edited on 4-15-2009 by elizabeth]

Paladin - 4-14-2009 at 06:42 PM

Paladin Rodent Control
Licensed, Insured & EPA Approved.
The Ranchers Best Friend
"Have Gun Will Travel"

Below is a sample of the good deeds done

Sincerely
Paladin

http://www.dogbegone.com/gutless.html
http://www.dogbegone.com/maxcarn.html
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RVxGXVQVwkI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iOTU2WzSJhQ

Bob H - 4-14-2009 at 07:54 PM

Quote:

Capt Mike... you crack me UP! :lol::yes::lol:

Bob H

fishbuck - 4-15-2009 at 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by elizabeth
Great whites are a threatened species...

[Edited on 4-15-2009 by elizabeth]

It's not a great white it's a mako!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shortfin_mako_shark

[Edited on 4-15-2009 by fishbuck]

Cypress - 4-15-2009 at 03:33 PM

A mako?:biggrin::D

fishbuck - 4-15-2009 at 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Cypress
A mako?:biggrin::D

Maybe. The largest confirmed Mako is 1750 lbs. And the largest reported is 2200 lbs.
Has anyone ever reported a great white caught in S. Rosalia besides this one? Lots of Mako's get caught there I'm sure.
It's possible. Lots of the islands on the Pacific side have great whites but I have never seen a report of one in the SOC.
It might be difficult to tell the difference when that get that big. I think they are close cousins.

Cypress - 4-15-2009 at 03:59 PM

fishbuck, You might be right.:biggrin:

Ken Bondy - 4-15-2009 at 04:37 PM

I think it is a mako. The white shark has a more distinct countershading line (white on the bottom, dark gray on the top) that runs the full length of the body. The mako countershading tends to get less distinct towards the rear of the body. This countershading on this shark is more like a mako. Plus the range argument clearly favors the mako. Lots of makos in the Santa Rosalia area, I am not aware of any positive identifications of white sharks in that part of the Sea of Cortez. There are lots of whites in the Pacific at about the same latitude (Isla Guadalupe), but I am not aware of any that have wandered up into the Sea of Cortez that far north. It's possible that this shark is a white but if I had to pick one I would go with a mako.

baitcast - 4-15-2009 at 05:04 PM

I would agree with you guys as the temp range seems to favor the GWS also but now I have a problem,this is a pic of the same sharks jaws cleaned up look closely hmmmm not so sure now?
Rob

Frank - 4-15-2009 at 05:19 PM

Triangle serrated teeth belong to a GW, non serrated is a Mako.

Wiles - 4-15-2009 at 05:22 PM

If that set of jaws came from the shark pictured on the beach, it's an easy call. Great White.

baitcast - 4-15-2009 at 05:23 PM

Now check out this set of choppers,no set pattern as in the first set,I,v caught a few makos and the one thing I always noticed was the teeth:lol: what I mean is they just go every which way no pattern to them? check it out.
Rob

baitcast - 4-15-2009 at 05:37 PM

One last thing on the mako,they are thr most exciting thing with fins you can latch on to,around the 100# on up,if these things had wings there,s no telling where they might go.

We used to fish these things in SO Calif when it was not so popular as today,late 50,s 60,s and 70,s,there were lots of Mako,s in those days they were called Bonito sharks?

Staight out from Point Fermin we hooked any number of them,this pic is my first bonita shark,wooden boats and iron men:lol:
Rob

fishbuck - 4-15-2009 at 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by baitcast
I would agree with you guys as the temp range seems to favor the GWS also but now I have a problem,this is a pic of the same sharks jaws cleaned up look closely hmmmm not so sure now?
Rob

The jaws in the photo look like GW teeth. How do you know those jaws are from the original shark in the 1st photo?

baitcast - 4-15-2009 at 05:50 PM

Look under Don Alley same fish sept 204 this posting.
Rob

fishbuck - 4-15-2009 at 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by baitcast
Look under Don Alley same fish sept 204 this posting.
Rob

Okay. It drowned in a net and wasn't the target species. But ya, a great white.:cool:.

Ken Bondy - 4-15-2009 at 07:36 PM

I agree that the shark looks very pregnant. Too bad we don't get a view of the ventral fins so we could see the presence or absence of claspers. I still think the shark in the photos is a mako. I have only photographed a mako once underwater, and it's not very good (shot a long time ago on Ektachrome 400, very grainy):

But see how faint the countershading line is. Contrast that with the white, where the countershading line is very distinct:

I'm stickin' to my mako ID :)

baitcast - 4-16-2009 at 07:04 AM

Ken the teeth the teeth,in your secound shot very closely check out the teeth,by the way those Guadalupe pics are among my very favorites
Rob

Ken Bondy - 4-16-2009 at 08:58 AM

baitcast - I agree, the jaw in your picture is definitely from a white. Makos are snaggle-toothed, whites have much more regular spacings and shapes. My mako argument is getting very weak :). Thanks for the comments on the Guadalupe pictures, it was an incredible rush seeing those beautiful animals in the water.

shari - 4-16-2009 at 10:42 AM

Juan doesnt think it's a mako either and he used to fish for them...he wanted to see the tail to see if it is what is called a Toro here...bull shark because of the thickness of the belly and the regular teeth and are huge...hmm

nancyinpdx - 4-16-2009 at 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Cardon Man
Quote:

I would much rather kill and handle the flesh myself than buy from the store. Don't get me wrong, I buy pork and beef and such. I don't raise such animals and it's a lot of work to do so I'm sure. There is great satifaction gained from fishing/hunting that results in a healthy, naturaly raised animal that provides good food. The catching or killing is only part of the equation. Being able to handle the product yourself from death to table is very rewarding. Not to mention the benefits of eating natural, organic, chemical-free flesh be it fish, foul, or game. Good stuff!

[Edited on 4-15-2009 by Cardon Man]

Yeah knowing it is 'clean' meat is good- I know that livestock get fed some horrid things, get injections, etc., and that those unhealthy practices and substances cause humans health problems, probably including cancer! So I see your point.