BajaNomad

Cilantro

elgatoloco - 6-12-2004 at 12:23 PM

We are leaving shortly for Baja norte to partake of the benefits.

Salsa herb holds health benefit
Study finds compound in cilantro kills harmful bacteria

WASHINGTON (Reuters) -- Another reason to eat spicy foods: cilantro, an herb key to many cuisines and central to salsa, can kill food poisoning bacteria, researchers said on Tuesday.

U.S. and Mexican researchers said they had identified a compound in cilantro that kills harmful Salmonella bacteria. They hope it can be developed into a safe food additive that could help prevent foodborne illness.

The study, published in the Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry, shows why salsa, a staple of Mexican food, and many other spicy foods seem to have innate antibacterial activity. It fits in with other studies done over the years that show popular spices can keep food from spoiling.

The compound, called dodecenal, is found in the fresh leaves and the seeds of cilantro, also known as coriander.

In lab dishes dodecenal was twice as effective as the commonly used antibiotic drug gentamicin against Salmonella, a frequent and sometimes deadly cause of foodborne illness.

"We were surprised that dodecenal was such a potent antibiotic," Isao Kubo, a chemist at the University of California, Berkeley who led the study, said in a statement.

But it is not potent enough to fight food poisoning in naturally occurring amounts, Kubo said.

"If you were eating a hot dog or hamburger you would probably have to eat an equivalent weight of cilantro to have an optimal effect against food poisoning," Kubo said.

Kubo's team also found a dozen other antibiotic compounds in fresh cilantro that showed some activity against a variety of harmful bacteria.

Cilantro- authenticity

thebajarunner - 6-12-2004 at 12:40 PM

There are two quick ways to determine how authentic and tasty food will be when you are eating out...
First, if you want to test a new Mexican restaurant, always order a chile relleno.
That one is the easiest to screw up and the real test... if the relleno is good, the rest of the menu will be good.
The second, how much cilantro is used. Amazing how often you go to a pure "Gringo" home and they serve Mexican food, sin cilantro...
And equally surprising how we often have guests who point out the cilantro and inquire as to what is adding that unique taste to the dish.
Teresa, being from the farm in Jalisco, grows it fresh right outside the back door for quick access (and addition to all sorts of things)

Baja Arriba!!

elgatoloco - 6-12-2004 at 01:04 PM

Es la verdad!

The chile relleno has ALWAYS been my litmus test. There is nothing like a well prepared chile relleno!

Barb grows and uses cilantro liberally in lots of dishes.

Between the cilantro and the tequila I think we can keep most of those nasty bacterias at bay!!

We are off to Yaqui Tacos for some carne asada and then on to Jaliesciense for some tacos de pescado y camaron

bajalera - 6-12-2004 at 02:55 PM

Chiles rellenos are my standard test dish at unfamiliar restaurants, too. Only really bad one I've ever had was in TJ, where the nice lady at the door handed us menus in English, which said "Stof Peeper." I assumed this was a chile relleno. Wrongo! It was a saggy, very tired sweet green peeper stof with the kind of macaroni and cheese you get out of a Kraft box.

MORAL: Stick with the chile relleno as a test of quality, but don't accept a menu that's English-only. (Now that I think of it, I wonder what the Spanish menu called that misbegotten stof peeper.)

Thanks for all that cilantro info, Gato!

Lera

Stof Pepper

BajaCactus - 6-12-2004 at 03:01 PM

Bajalera... they are called "Experimentation with wondering tourists"...:D

Antonio M.
BajaCactus
"Where tha Baja is much more than a dream..."

Sin cilantro, por favor

jeans - 6-12-2004 at 09:05 PM

I'm not a picky eater, but Cilantro with ruin anything on my plate.

I took a group of friends to La Espana?a last Sunday and when I was confrming that the dish did not contain cilantro, our waiter laughed and said "You've been here before...I remember you!"

The funny thing is, is that I don't recall ever tasting cilantro in anything before the mid 80's. I started going to Ensenada in the 60's and spent a lot of time there in the 70's.

In the mid 80's, I was living in Texas and tending bar in a restaurant that was serving a new (to me) dish that was all the rage....fajitas. I couldn't figure out what that horrible taste ( & smell) was. :?: That was my introduction to cilantro.

My dining life would be easier if I could learn to like it, but that's not happening.

David K - 6-12-2004 at 10:42 PM

You hate cilantro as much as I hate mustard... Mustard just takes over the taste of whatever you add it to (in my opinion). I wish I liked it, and life would be easier! Funny how I do like cilantro and always will add more if it is available!

When I saw the title of this thread, I half expected the subject was marijuana! Those of you from the Amigos board will recall when Lorenzo de Baja and I stumbled upon an 'agricultural project' in Agua Caliente canyon... some amigo called it a 'cilantro farm'!!! http://vivabaja.com/baja_2001

DanO - 6-13-2004 at 09:22 AM

Funny, I've noticed that people who don't like cilantro REALLY don't like it. I wonder if it's some sort of chemically or biologically based aversion. Anyway, ditto on the relleno as a bellwether of Mexican cooking. I particularly like how they do them in New Mexico -- deep fried until very crispy, instead of pan fried. Only bad thing about them is that you have to wait for them to cool down before eating.

Chile rellenos

jrbaja - 6-13-2004 at 02:25 PM

are also my test and usual order when eating out. Seems like there's enough interest here to share something with yall. Cazuela del Mole in Rosarito Beach makes some of the best I've ever had. Enjoy.

Herb - 6-13-2004 at 11:57 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by jrbaja
Cazuela del Mole in Rosarito Beach makes some of the best I've ever had. Enjoy.

Uh Oh, the secret is out! This place has Some of the best Mexican food (that is not just Baja Regional food) that I have had anywhere in the country and the prices are excellent as well. Jeans will appreciate that they have many sin-cilantro dishes.(although I love the little green weed myself)

To tell you the truth, I like Cazuela de Mole even more than Taco de Hutz@@#$$ in Ensenada (I refuse to learn to spell anything that requires that much effort in any language).:)

Cilantro?? What's that???

Bedman - 6-14-2004 at 12:14 AM

It was July 12, 2003 and we had just pulled into the small town of Hot Springs, S. Dakota. We decided we were hungry and stopped at a cute restaurant in town called Mi Cocina. The sign read, ?Real home made mexican food?. My chili rellanos were wrapped in won tons and deep fried, go figure. The salsa was enchilada sauce straight out of the can, the chips were Doritos. Bedman had the Enchillada plate, they used cheddar cheese for his enchilada's and when he asked if he could have a small dish of Cilantro and chopped onion, they didn't know what Cilantro was! The rice was "Spanish" style with big pieces of canned tomatoes, It was a Hoot. We laughed all through the meal. When the waitress asked us, "How was the food?", we told her it was okay, but it wasn?t anything like any mexican food we ever had. She got a little defensive and when we paid the bill, the owner told us, "She had tried mexican food in Texas, Arizona and Mexico and didn?t like any of them. So, she made up her own recipes". We went back to camp laughing about this ladies perception of "Real Homemade Mexican food"

Bedman

Skeet/Loreto - 6-14-2004 at 03:53 AM

Mexican Food is different in the States than when in Mexico{Except if you are in Dos Palos Calif. where we are 72% mexicano.
Virginia and i would, after living in Loreto several years, try to seek out good Mexican Food on our trips back to the States.Wefound as everyone else that it depends on the Cook and where he obtained the materials for the preparation.
We grow many of our on Herbs on our back porch.
My Son Todd, the Exc. Chef at the Marriott Greenway Plaza uses herbs and {Cilantro} is
n his cooking each Day.]

The "La Monito" in Merced Calif. is truly Mexicano, serving a different Soup each Day, with Posloe on Saturday, Birria on Sunday.

P.S. Jeans, Where did you tend Bar in Texas?

Skeet/Loreto

"In God I Trust"

SoCalAl - 6-14-2004 at 07:52 AM

The chiles rellenos is the test? I don't think so.? The frijoles fritos and the salsa is what makes a Mexican restaurant. Chiles rellenos is just another dish, however it is one of the most difficult to get right. There are so many various ways to prepare them. That depends on which part of the country (Mexico) the cook is from. I particularily care most for the Jalisco styles. One is in a soup and the other in a sour cream sauce. I believe David K and Debra had a taste of that at BOLA last year. The refried beans and the salsa is what really matters at least for most Mexicans.
My rule of thumb is, make sure that the locals are packing the place before eating there. It is always a good sign to see the locals eating at a restaurant in their neiborhood.

Chile Rellenos

jrbaja - 6-14-2004 at 07:58 AM

In a soup ? Sounds kinda messy.

Debra - 6-14-2004 at 11:10 AM

I'm with "Jeans" Cilantro translates into "soap weed" to me :P

And I have to admit....I was afraid of Alex's Chili Rellenos (I've never cared for them) but, had to have a bite, and it was pretty good. :D

elgatoloco - 6-14-2004 at 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by SoCalAl
The chiles rellenos is the test? I don't think so.? The frijoles fritos and the salsa is what makes a Mexican restaurant. Chiles rellenos is just another dish, however it is one of the most difficult to get right. ------------------------------

I, elgatoloco, have yet to eat at a restaurant that new how to properly prepare chile rellenos (to my self proclaimed expertly opinionated and discriminating taste buds) that had inferior frijoles and salsa. However the reverse has been true.

It is HARD but not impossible to find a chile relleno worth remembering. :biggrin:

Well prepared salsa and frijoles are more readily available.

LET'S EAT!

:lol:

[Edited on 6-14-2004 by elgatoloco]

Truck stops along Highway 1 in Baja

jrbaja - 6-14-2004 at 11:34 AM

generally have some pretty good rellenos. The almejas aren't bad either from what I hear:lol::lol::lol::lol:

SoCalAl - 6-14-2004 at 12:24 PM

Chiles rellenos should not be for mass production anyway. It is more a labor of love when cooking them. To make them right it takes tedious patience and know how. I could wright out the recipe and hand it to a bunch of people and each person would have a diffrent end result.
I agree with elgatoloco about finding a restaurant with great chiles rellenos. The only place I used to get them right was at grandma's, now it is one of my aunts and a sister that get them right. Although all 7 of my aunts and 20 or so cousins can cook them. Only those two people inherited my grandma's special touch. I am the third (I think?). As far as the beans and salsa, go to a restaurant with bas beans and salsa and that is a Mexican restaurant that is not frequented by Mexicans, example Acapulcos, El Torito.
Have you ever noticed the diffrence between a busy taco stand and one that was not busy right next door? It's the fresh beans and delicious salsa...

Menudo and birria are the other two plates that I think only certain people can cook well and when well cooked they are delicious. When not they can be a nightmare, scaring people and making them vow never to try that dish again. :spingrin:

bajalera - 6-14-2004 at 01:39 PM

We're talking RESTAURANT food here, SoCalAl, not the good stuff Granny makes. The advantage of using chiles rellenos as a test, to me, is that even the bad ones are pretty good. The same can't be said of menudo and birria, where bad can be the absolute pits.

bajalera

SoCalAl - 6-14-2004 at 02:02 PM

HMMMM, Good point. I still think that the poeple visiting the restaurant make it what it is. If you want good Mexican food you should go to a retaurant jam packed with Mexicans. If you want good Chinese, the same rule applies. It works for me, maybe it will work for you.:light:

Anyway, don't mean to step on anyones toes. Just thinking out loud, that's all.

All this talk about food is making me hungry.

Out to lunch, later...

jeans - 6-14-2004 at 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DanO
Funny, I've noticed that people who don't like cilantro REALLY don't like it. I wonder if it's some sort of chemically or biologically based aversion.

You got that right! Other items that I don't care for I can simplyly eat around, but not that stuff. I have heard the soap referrence like Debra said, but I never had my mouth washed out with soap, so I can't relate!:lol::lol:

With all this talk about chili rellenos, I think I'll give them a try again. I had them once about 30 years ago and was not that impressed and never ordered them again. I'll try them at the place JR mentioned.

Quote:
Originally posted by Skeet
P.S. Jeans, Where did you tend Bar in Texas?

For eleven of the longest months of my life I lived in Big Spring, TX working at a radio station with my sister who had moved there with her family when her husband got his first teaching job out of college.

When the station sold, I was "last hired, first fired" and got a job in Midland tending bar at Gardsky's. (Looks like Bennigans here). A month later, I had enough of Texas and came home. Miss the bar-b-que there but not much else.

Bob H - 6-14-2004 at 03:37 PM

The very best chili rellenos we have ever eaten is during chili rellenos night (I think it's on a Thursday) at Jungle Jim's in Mulege, along the river. Absolutely mouth watering!! The place gets PACKED every chili rellenos night... Bob H:yes:

Thanks Bob

jrbaja - 6-14-2004 at 03:57 PM

I'll be stoppin.

elgatoloco - 6-14-2004 at 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by SoCalAl
...... now it is one of my aunts and a sister that get them right. Although all 7 of my aunts and 20 or so cousins can cook them. Only those two people inherited my grandma's special touch. I am the third (I think?). ....... :spingrin:

SoCalAL......I think those on this board may require an unbiased outside opinion of your families chile relleno cooking skills. In my usual unselfish manner let me be the first to volunteer my services in the name of gastronomic enlightenment! :biggrin::lol::spingrin::tumble::D;):cool::saint:

David K - 6-14-2004 at 06:12 PM

Matt, you and Barb come down to Gecko for the Fourth... Alex is a super nice guy and a gourmet chef... really!

If my memory serves me, we met Alex and Juan at China's (Chee-nah) taco stand (north of Las Hamacas, in front of the Long Distance phone/Internet store). They were looking for a place to stay and Debra invited them to Camp Gecko... great Baja connection made! They shared some great tasting (and spicy) things with us... muy buenos amigos!

This is what Nomads are all About!!

Skeet/Loreto - 6-14-2004 at 06:36 PM

Jeans; thanks fir the Personal Info. A good number of the Haggerton Family live in and around Big Springs, and Midland Texas!
My GrandFather was a "Commission Man for Cattle and Horses He died in a Hit and run Accident in 1939, the case was solved a year later just from the ID on a Hub Cab left at the scene.
His three boys rasied and trained Polo Ponies for the Eastern Seaboard Nobbies.

Many , many years ago I 'Cowboyed" on a 10 Section Ranch North of Big Springs'{$90 Bucks a Month and Found"
Had to take care of 1500 sheep and 2,000 head of Spanish Goats and a string of Horses for the Winter of 1949.

That made me realize that there must be a better way to make a living.

Guess you know that George Bush Sr. came to Midland as a young man, selling Oil and Gas Leases.

Us Texans have produced a few Past Presidents for this Great country.

Did you have many calls at the Bar for a "Beer with a Gin Float?

Skeet/Loreto

"In God I Trust"

Rellenos in Oakdale

thebajarunner - 6-14-2004 at 07:48 PM

Come on over and try Teresa's.... they are the greatest.
The secret>>>> Eat 'em as soon as possible out of the deep fryer.... of course they are waaaayyyyy hot coming out, but that is when they are best.
As to the comment on frijoles as the standard- sorry, frijoles are a piece of cake compared to rellenos.
Also, taking a green Gringo to Mexico the first time is a cultural shift as to the food.
Folks who think they like Mexican food will not find food South of Ensenada anything close to what they are accustomed.
So, an adjustment is necessary and a warning is in order prior to ordering.

Baja Arriba!!

bajalera - 6-15-2004 at 09:19 AM

Holy Guacamole, SoCalAl! You haven't stepped on anyone's toes. I wouldn't judge a Mexican restaurant by its beans any more than I'd judge a U.S. one by its mashed potatoes--and when it comes to places where a lot of local people or truck drivers stop, this may be because the food is good, or they may just have pretty waitresses, or they may have a spectacular view.

But there haven't been any notable differences of opinion in this exchange. If you want to experience toe-stepping-on, click on the Off-Topic section and say something nice--or not-so-nice--about George Bush or John Kerry. Either one will start a ruckus.

bajalera

Skeet/Loreto - 6-15-2004 at 01:22 PM

Over the years spent in Baja Sur, I have watched the opening of several "Taco Stand" One Day in Cuicad Constitution I ask my Friend the rule for Success.
He replied"A pretty Girl in a short Skirt and Low Blouse"Later i observed that the Food was better at the Mom and Pops places such as "Tony's" across the Street from the Cochina Hotel.
Several years ago on my first Visit to Flordia as We approached St, Petes on Hwy 19, there were many Hot Dog and Peanut Stands all being operated by Girls Dressed in Short Shorts and Very small Tops. The next year or so they were removed by the Locals and now they have them all in one Place "Hooters'.

Moral of this Story: To Each his Own.

Skeet/Loreto

"In God I Trust"

jeans - 6-15-2004 at 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Skeet/Loreto

Did you have many calls at the Bar for a "Beer with a Gin Float?

Never heard of it. I do remember my first night tending bar in Wyoming. My first customer at the Elks Club in Jackson Hole ordered a "ditch". I thought he said b-tch.

This ain't California anymore.....

Quote:
Originally posted by Skeet/Loreto
Jeans; thanks fir the Personal Info. A good number of the Haggerton Family live in and around Big Springs, and Midland Texas!

I think I met one of them. I was giving a presentation to a business owner...a guy who sold RVs & travel trailers. As I was explaining the benefits of a drive-time campaign, he stops me, and while looking deep into my eyes asked, "Have you been born again?"

Beer with a Gin Float

Skeet/Loreto - 6-16-2004 at 01:05 AM

Jeans. I am not a Born Again Christain.

I was Baptized at 8 years of age in a Creek behind the Calvary Baptist Church near Sweetwater Texas, and then again at the First Baptist church of amarillo Texas at 16 years of age. I was so ornery it tooktwo dippins to make me a Believer!!

Was a Youth leader when I workded on the Ranch, riding my Horse 4 miles to church.

After going into the Navy, became a 'Back -Slider" until last october when i redicated my life to Christ for the Purpose of Paying back the Lord for all the times he Saved my Life!{airplanes, Boats, cars}.

Now I help People who are in need,especially children.

I was only born Once!

Several years ago while working at a Bar and Resturant at Buck Meadows Lodge near Yosemite} the Tunnel Hands working on the Cherry Tunnel would come in early in the Morning and order a Beer Float.

A Glass of Beer with a Shot Glass of Gin slowly dropped to the Bottom of the Glass ,where the Gin slowly moved upward giving the Beer a very different Taste. Try it sometime.

In the Genology files there does not seem to be any Preachers in my Past, but you should have been around to attend a couple of "Hell Fire and Damnation' Sermons during that time, made the hair stand up on your Neck!!!

have you ever heard anyone Talk in "tongues" ?

Skeet/Loreto

"In God I Trust"

Elks Lodge

jrbaja - 6-16-2004 at 05:58 AM

Jackson Hole 1972, 73, 74, 75. Lived a mile past Teton Village so had to ski in in the winter. Had moose for neighbors and girlfriend Dixie.
Ring any bells Jeans ?

jeans - 6-16-2004 at 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by jrbaja
Jackson Hole 1972, 73, 74, 75. Lived a mile past Teton Village so had to ski in in the winter. Had moose for neighbors and girlfriend Dixie.
Ring any bells Jeans ?

Poker Flats area? I think we had this conversation before. I remember a Dixie who came to town from down south with a girlfriend. Blond, quite the party-girl, but this was later. I was there '75-'79

Quote:
Originally posted by Skeet
have you ever heard anyone Talk in "tongues" ?

My goodness this thread is seriously off-track. No Skeet, I would usually cut them off before they got that drunk.
:lol::lol:

GeoRock - 6-16-2004 at 10:41 AM

:o My worst Mexican food to date? Found too far north of the border in Anchorage, Alaska.

:light: My most interesting and laugh-causing chile rellanos to date . . . found in Louisville, Kentucky at a Mexican restaurant. The chiles were breaded and fried just as Kentucky Fried Chicken pieces. It was at least 15 years ago, and I was shell-shocked. First couple bites I didn't appreciate, being used to California's egg-batter versions. But as I ate more and more, I liked it better and better. Now adays, I hate the egg-batter type. Give me Mexico's version of stuffed and fried chiles without the disgusting puffy batter over them.

And guess what? When I make them at home, I recreate Kentucky's version. I call them my Kentucky Fried Rellanos. Yumm.

SoCalAl - 6-16-2004 at 10:42 AM

Been gone for a couple of days. You have to stop everything you are doing when it comes to funerals and graduations. Can't believe how we went from cilantro to chiles rellenos and now this? WOW, this is better than having a conversation with my best friend in a restaurant. You know how those go, you start with one topic and work your way through the entire lifetime of subjects. Maybe it's time to change the subject and make a new post. For what ever it's worth I will be cooking some chiles rellenos at camp gecko on the 4th of July. I will make 30 first come first serve, me you provide your own boos. :tumble:

GeoRock - 6-16-2004 at 10:43 AM

Almost forgot to post this: at a Chinese restaurant in TJ recently, Jeans ordered a (???) shrimp dish. It came covered generously in cilantro. As she hates cilantro, it was grounds for a hearty laugh.

Heather - 6-16-2004 at 11:20 AM

Just to add my 2 cents. I also order chili rellenos in restaurants, not as a test, but just that they're so darn hard to make! It takes a good 2 hours to get everything done; from peeling the chilis to beating the eggs just right to stuffing them without the cheese falling out and then the eggs falling off...jeez...that's why I'll order them if they're on the menu!

I do agree though, that there are good frijoles and not so good, so that is more of an indication of the quality of the food to me as well. Guess it depends on how much lard is used! Tortillas also make a difference in quality of the restaurant...home made or store bought!

Two more weeks and I'll be enjoying some of these good eats! We're heading South! Saludos, H.

jeans - 6-16-2004 at 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by GeoRock
Almost forgot to post this: at a Chinese restaurant in TJ recently, Jeans ordered a (???) shrimp dish. It came covered generously in cilantro. As she hates cilantro, it was grounds for a hearty laugh.

Um...we were in Mexicali, remember? You were driving!

But that wasn't nearly as funny as you & Roper trying to order vegetarian from a Chinese waiter who, of course, did not speak English....but then we figured out he didn't speak Spanish, either! :lol: How many waiters did it take for you two to order? They looked so relieved when I announced that I liked meat!

KurtG - 6-17-2004 at 12:25 PM

If you are in Mulege go to Professora Angelina's in the Pemex building on the highway and try her Chile Relleno de Mariscos. No cheese inside but rather shrimp, scallops, and fish. The batter is delicious and then it is topped with a walnut cream sauce, sounded a little strange to me but my friends said it was great and they were right. For about $7.00 you get two of these with all the fixin's which was more than I could eat, took one home to reheat the next day. Also she has shrimp in mango or tamarind salsa that is outstanding. Great little place.