BajaNomad

Avoid Ensenada Immigration Office (If Possible)

Pacifico - 4-30-2009 at 07:05 PM

I just returned from baja and wanted to relay an experience we had at the Ensenada immigration office. This is just our experience so you can take it or leave it.

We headed down to Ensenada via the San Ysidro crossing. We got the red light and were pulled into secondary. (we were going to pull into secondary in order to get our tourist cards like we normally do, but the far right entrance was blocked off.) We were going on an offroad trip and were towing an offroad car. Because of this, there was nowhere to park and go obtain a tourist card. We figured "no problem" we'll get them in Ensenada once we drop off the trailer.

So we dropped the trailer in Ensenada and headed down to the Ensenada immigration office. We went in and there was no immigration officer behind the counter but were told he would be back soon. We waited about 25 minutes for this clown to show up. He arrived and we asked for two tourist cards. First, he told us since we did not obtain them in T.J. that we had to pay a fine (like $5.00 U.S. each) We figured this is B.S. but whatever it's Mexico. So this guy tells us we must go pay the fine first. He gives us a hand-drawn map to where we must go pay. It is 5 blocks away at some bank - we were not allowed to pay at the little bank located in the same building as my friend told me he has done before. Now it gets interesting - My buddy is going through his papers and an old tourist card falls out on this guy's desk. The guy snatches it up and says this is illegal and should have been turned in. (I know, but who stops on their return and does this? Anyone?) Anyway, the guy proceeds to tell my friend that he must go to T.J. and pay a fine before he can get his tourist card. How much you ask? Try $220.00 U.S.!!! We said O.K. and left. :lol::lol::lol:Needless to say, we did not get a tourist card this trip. We tried to do the right thing and get them, but Mexico makes everything so difficult that it is like they discourage you from getting them. This was the 1st trip in many years that I traveled without one and luckily we did not have any issues. Just food for thought......avoid Ensenada immigration office if possible.

boe4fun - 4-30-2009 at 07:12 PM

When you pass through the border, take the FIRST RIGHT TURN, go to the 1st street and turn right and go about 50 meters to the paid parking lot on the right. At the rear edge of the parking lot (near the pedestrian bridge) you can access immigration, the bank, etc. Hope this helps.

norte - 4-30-2009 at 07:20 PM

Funny. You tried to do the right thing??? You did not follow the law... and when that did not work you just said screw it.... Bet you are all for building a fence as well:lol::lol::lol:

woody with a view - 4-30-2009 at 07:22 PM

where's the fence?

norte - 4-30-2009 at 07:24 PM

Its the one to keep illeagals out of Mexico.... Oh well they just sneak in

Pacifico - 4-30-2009 at 07:54 PM

Boe4fun - Thanks for the info!!! I will try that next time if the far right declaration lane is closed again. Is there room for vehicles with trailers. That's what this site is all about - people helping people!

norte - Remember this quote: "It is better to be thought a fool, than to speak and confirm it." I hear you.......

Diver - 4-30-2009 at 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by norte
Funny. You tried to do the right thing??? You did not follow the law... and when that did not work you just said screw it.... Bet you are all for building a fence as well:lol::lol::lol:

What's funny ?
He simply related his experience and I thank him.

Do you have a problem with the "fence" ?
If you knew in advance that someone was coming to break into your home, would you leave the door open ??

danaeb - 4-30-2009 at 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Pacifico
(we were going to pull into secondary in order to get our tourist cards like we normally do, but the far right entrance was blocked off.)

I was just through the far right lane last week. It looks like it's blocked off, but it's an automatic gate. You can get through.

DENNIS - 4-30-2009 at 09:07 PM

Pacifico...... I feel your pain but, you know we are never right. It's their ballgame and we have to play by their rules. You can't use our indignation as a reason to do it our way. It doesn't work.
I'm not scolding you, buddy. I'm just trying to give you years of experience in a couple of sentences.
Just do as they say, even when it flys in the face of logic and common sense and all will be well. Put the discomfort behind you and have a good trip.

Packoderm - 4-30-2009 at 09:42 PM

I'd just say to the man, "Sure thing, but to whom do I write the traveler's checks? I have 400 pesos cash and 800 dollars in traveler's checks."

Bajahowodd - 4-30-2009 at 11:19 PM

There have been so many posts about the Ensenada office. It's almost like they are "playing" gringos. Legally, there's no reason to fine anyone who just entered the country the same day. Perhaps the tourism folks should step in.
As for Mexicali, it's on the right also. Dif is you have to cross the street to get to the bank.

I KNOW WHAT IMMIGRATION GUY YOU GOT

lizard lips - 5-1-2009 at 05:53 AM

I bet it was the little guy! This guy always gives me grief whenever I go there..... Years ago I went there with several people to obtain the their tourists papers and at that time there was no charge. He told everyone it costs $10 bucks and I called him on it and made a complaint to his boss and got him in trouble. Every time I go into this office he always asks me for my "papers" and I show him my FM2, he takes it, looks at every page and gives it back and walks away. He's an ass..... with an attitude!

Their rules?

bajabillybob - 5-1-2009 at 07:02 AM

Why is it we must play russian rulette every time we have to deal with a Mexican official down here. Its a roll of the dice and if you are lucky, you just get nicked 'a little bit'.
Mexico needs to cull the banditos out of any office that has the ability to impose a fine and enforce its laws across the board.

Somehow I do not see this happening any time soon.:mad:

BornFisher - 5-1-2009 at 07:13 AM

I think the message here is get rid of your expired visas. I have one in my van and one in my boat. I`m pitching those puppies!!

Pacifico - 5-1-2009 at 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by lizard lips
I bet it was the little guy! This guy always gives me grief whenever I go there..... Years ago I went there with several people to obtain the their tourists papers and at that time there was no charge. He told everyone it costs $10 bucks and I called him on it and made a complaint to his boss and got him in trouble. Every time I go into this office he always asks me for my "papers" and I show him my FM2, he takes it, looks at every page and gives it back and walks away. He's an burro..... with an attitude!

Yep, he was a little guy. Major attitude right off the bat as well. A real "gringo hater" for sure. I was extremely nice and treated him with respect but I guess he was having a bad day!

Pacifico - 5-1-2009 at 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by BornFisher
I think the message here is get rid of your expired visas. I have one in my van and one in my boat. I`m pitching those puppies!!

Definitely don't let one fall out on their desk!!! I gotta admit it was somewhat comical....What were the odds of my buddy's expired visa falling on his desk right in front of him? Lesson learned.....

norte - 5-1-2009 at 07:41 AM

Quote:
My buddy is going through his papers and an old tourist card falls out on this guy's desk. The guy snatches it up and says this is illegal and should have been turned in. (I know, but who stops on their return and does this? Anyone?) Anyway, the guy proceeds to tell my friend that he must go to T.J. and pay a fine before he can get his tourist card. How much you ask? Try $220.00 U.S.!!! We said O.K. and left. :lol::lol::lol:Needless to say, we did not get a tourist card this trip. We tried to do the right thing and get them, but Mexico makes everything so difficult that it is like they discourage you from getting them. This was the 1st trip in many years that I traveled without one and luckily we did not have any issues. Just food for thought......avoid Ensenada immigration office if possible.

The fool is the one who breaks the law and then complains about it! Better luck next time and hope you don't get caught without your permit. The fine is even larger.

TonyC - 5-1-2009 at 08:11 AM

Does the tourist visa for 6 months allow for multi. entries until it expires, or do you have to turn it in upon leaving?

David K - 5-1-2009 at 08:16 AM

There is no checking for Tourist Cards in the entire state of Baja California and even state tourism officials have said that the entire state is in the 'border zone' so up to 7 days, no tourist card needed.

That contradicts with federal rules published in the past that say 72 hours max. time in the border zone... and the border zone ends at Maneadero on the Pacific side and either Mexicali or San Felipe on the gulf side?!

Their are some who say your Mexican auto insurance will be void without one or if you get into any legal problem, you are toast without one...

Nobody has ever posted here they were denied coverage or got jailed because they didn't have one, however... Not yet, anyway...???

If you can, I would get one... because they say: Better to have it and not need it... Then to need it and not have it!

[Edited on 5-1-2009 by David K]

David K - 5-1-2009 at 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by TonyC
Does the tourist visa for 6 months allow for multi. entries until it expires, or do you have to turn it in upon leaving?

When they decided to charge a fee (tax) for tourist cards 8 or 9 years ago, they said the $20 FM-T was good for multiple entries... Turn it in before it expires.

With tourism so badly hurt by the tax, they offered a free 7 day card.

Alan - 5-1-2009 at 12:54 PM

I too remembered the law as FMT's not being required above Maneadero. I would think that it would be possible to get one in Ensenada without incurring a fine as it's not required until you go south of there (of course they don't even get checked until you cross into BCS at GN - and even then only if you cross during business hours).

I feel your pain and frustration. I too TRY to comply with their laws but I think most of us will agree that at times they do make it difficult. After 40 years of traveling south I still have no idea where we are supposed to turn them in on our return.

I also usually tow (a boat) when I drive down and they really don't make things conducive for us. I love the 120 degree turn to even get to the Imm office in Ensenada and then trying to find a place to park a 60' rig. Thank Gawd I didn't draw the short guy on that visit!

The actual laws may have changed and perhaps a FMT is now required at TJ. It is just so hard to tell since the interpretations of the laws can change hourly depending on who you come in contact with.:lol:

DENNIS - 5-1-2009 at 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Alan
I too remembered the law as FMT's not being required above Maneadero. I would think that it would be possible to get one in Ensenada without incurring a fine as it's not required until you go south of there (of course they don't even get checked until you cross into BCS at GN - and even then only if you cross during business hours).

Correct, Alan, but only for seven days. Longer than that in the Free Zone requires an FMT.

Pacifico - 5-1-2009 at 03:13 PM

Quote:
It is just so hard to tell since the interpretations of the laws can change hourly depending on who you come in contact with.:lol:

Very true, Alan. I think this is one of the main problems. I have tried to get the free tourist card on trips less than 7 days and asked the immigration officer about it - he had no idea what I was talking about. Also, on a different note - the only place I have been checked is at the inspection place north of G.N.

Alan - 5-1-2009 at 03:20 PM

Quote:
Quote:
It is just so hard to tell since the interpretations of the laws can change hourly depending on who you come in contact with.:lol:

Also, on a different note - the only place I have been checked is at the inspection place north of G.N.

That's the only place I have ever been checked to except years ago when they actually had a checkpoint at Maneadero.

woody with a view - 5-1-2009 at 04:03 PM

Quote:
Quote:

Very true, Alan. I think this is one of the main problems. I have tried to get the free tourist card on trips less than 7 days and asked the immigration officer about it - he had no idea what I was talking about. Also, on a different note - the only place I have been checked is at the inspection place north of G.N.

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:last friday at 5am we pulled up to the gate and it opened and we parked. wifey and i walked to the migra office around the back and presented passports. i asked for 2 "FREE 7 Day FMT's" and the guy looked at me like i just stole his chick! he said there is no free FMT's. only 180 days. i told him he was wrong. after a few tense minutes of nonsense, the guy pulled out his phone and said he was calling a supervisor (probably checking on his chick!) to see where the forms were. after some conversation, he hung up the phone and proceeded to continue to fill out the same forms that were 95% complete, marking 7 days. he handed them to us and we were on vacation.:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

marooons don't even know their own laws. or even worse, they are being told to deny the free ones in the hopes of making some money for the govt. if it wasn't my last trip for awhile, i woulda paid straight away. times are tough and that's my $40.

David K - 5-1-2009 at 04:07 PM

Good for you Woody!

Hey, you could always tell him the Baja Nomads said it was so! :lol::light:

Bajahowodd - 5-1-2009 at 04:21 PM

Dennis, I seem to recall some recent threads where it was determined that you could only stay above Maneadero for 72 hours without FMT. It also involved discussion of auto insurance being void, if you got into an accident and were in violation of the law. I know DK was part of the discussion.

David K - 5-1-2009 at 04:27 PM

This was (at one time) common knowledge:

The border zone was an area to Maneadero and to San Felipe (some writings say Mexicali only) where you could visit for up to 72 hours WITHOUT an FM-T (Tourist card). More than 72 hours, you need one.

The 7 day period is unofficial and only mentioned by state tourism people (not the feds who have authority over foreignors).

There is a 7 day FREE FM-T... if you insist on it, like Woody just did.

DENNIS - 5-1-2009 at 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K

The 7 day period is unofficial and only mentioned by state tourism people (not the feds who have authority over foreignors).

Just like everything else here, inconsistancy prevails. I was told of the "one week" period by an immigration official five years ago.

David K - 5-1-2009 at 05:42 PM

Great Dennis (did you get it writing?) !!:rolleyes:

Have a great weekend!

DENNIS - 5-1-2009 at 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
Great Dennis (did you get it writing?) !!:rolleyes:

Would it matter? Probably not. Is there any place to get the straight scoop on anything down here?

mooose29 - 5-2-2009 at 07:09 PM

We stopped going to the Ensenada office years ago because of that guy. It was always such a tense way to start our vacations and we always had all our paperwork in order. he just made you feel very unwelcome.

BajaGringo - 5-2-2009 at 07:23 PM

Anybody here able to tell me his name? I do have a very close contact in immigration that is definitely several pay grades higher than this lowlife and I would love to give them the deal on this guy.

bajaguy - 5-2-2009 at 07:43 PM

Check your u2u

BajaGringo - 5-2-2009 at 08:02 PM

Got it and answered. Thanks my friend...

Bajaboy - 5-3-2009 at 09:37 AM

Yes, this issue needs to be cleared up so the illegals can come out of the shadows. :lol:

Bajahowodd - 5-3-2009 at 01:54 PM

I seriously do hope something can be done about that guy. it would be insane to think someone legally in Ensenada would be fined for trying to extend their stay, and in doing so, stay legal. On a couple of occasions, I've had the misfortune to pull in at San Ysidro behind a tour bus. Had to wait forever. It would be comforting to know that I could really skip that wait and not get hijacked at the office in Ensenada.

DENNIS - 5-3-2009 at 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bajahowodd
On a couple of occasions, I've had the misfortune to pull in at San Ysidro behind a tour bus. Had to wait forever.

It might be a good place to open a bar. You know how well they do next to a laundrimat. [is that how you spell "laundrimat?" Looks wrong.]

Russ - 5-3-2009 at 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaGringo
I do have a very close contact in immigration that is definitely several pay grades higher than this lowlife and I would love to give them the deal on this guy.

This guy has been there a long long time or they've been cloning his ethics in Ensenada. I've never been in that office but I've heard from an awful lot of unhappy tourist dealing with that office. Thanks BajaGringo for anything that may come of your inquiry.

Bajahowodd - 5-3-2009 at 03:28 PM

Dennis- Try lavanderia automatica. May work. Great idea, but for the paucity of real estate available there. Although it seems there's alot of offices there that don't seem to matter.

Ron- If you can be of any help on this, you will become the Dios de Baja.

Yamero - 5-4-2009 at 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by boe4fun
When you pass through the border, take the FIRST RIGHT TURN, go to the 1st street and turn right and go about 50 meters to the paid parking lot on the right. At the rear edge of the parking lot (near the pedestrian bridge) you can access immigration, the bank, etc. Hope this helps.

Following the southbound traffic arrows, the first possible right turn appears to be the road parallel to Av. de la Amistad. Further southwest in this image, there is a pedestrian bridge over the river. Where is the immigration office? TIA

Tijuana_border.jpg - 50kB

mtgoat666 - 5-4-2009 at 10:21 AM

Quote:
We tried to do the right thing and get them, but Mexico makes everything so difficult that it is like they discourage you from getting them.

when you travel, you just got to remember you're not in Kansas anymore :lol::lol:

Foreigners have a much more difficult time dealing with USA immigration. Gringos should count their lucky stars that Mexico does not make things as difficult for foreign visitors as our "Homeland Security."

Timo1 - 5-4-2009 at 10:23 AM

Absolutely right Goat

Yamero - this might help:

TacoFeliz - 5-4-2009 at 12:39 PM

Border_1.jpg - 42kB

and this...

TacoFeliz - 5-4-2009 at 12:39 PM

Border_alt_1.jpg - 41kB

David K - 5-4-2009 at 02:54 PM

Nice Job Taco Felix!

Pacifico - 5-6-2009 at 12:05 PM

Excellent job TacoFeliz!!! Nice map to the alternate parking!!!

lizard lips - 8-3-2009 at 04:15 PM

The little guy has always given me trouble every time I step foot in that office in Ensenada, so I expect it. I had foot surgery a year ago and had to make an appearance to renew my FM2. I obtained a handicap parking card from AAA in San Diego good for 6 months. I parked in the handicap space in front of La Migra and used my crutches to get in. I minute later this guy appears, looks at me and says I better move my car because that card hanging from the rear view mirror is no good in Mexico and is only for handicap people. I got up, came over to him and said call a cop and have it towed. I did not say it in a nice way. He walked away. I remained there for about an hour and it was never towed.

Gringo-------- Any word on getting this guy spanked yet?

[Edited on 03/08/2009 by lizard lips]

BooJumMan - 9-21-2009 at 07:49 AM

Heh! I had the same experience in the Ensenada office.

Both my friends are fluent in spanish. Me, not so much...

We get to Ensenada immigration since we couldn't get over to the far right lane. The secuirity guard outside tells us to park in front, where its clearly marked as a handicapped zone. I say, whatever, and park there since he seemed like a nice guy.

We of course get our "fines" because we didn't get Tourist cards in TJ. It still doesn't make any sense to me. He makes us go to that Bank 5 blocks away in which the teller at the bank tells us that we needed to get something signed (He was supposed to sign it).

We get back and the guy in the office then tells me I'll have to pay a huge fine since I parked in the handicap zone!!!! I told him that his buddy outside told me to park here and its not fair. My buddies talk with him in spanish and beg not to get a fine because he forgot to stamp our fine papers or whatever.

Finally it all worked out and we got our tourist cards, but, YES here is my story of why to just go to TJ office !!!

DENNIS - 9-21-2009 at 08:22 AM

Yeah...That place is a daytime nightmare. The only thing missing is a big sign on the front of the building, "Welcome To Mexico. Enjoy Your Visit."

durrelllrobert - 9-21-2009 at 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by TacoFeliz

How about directions to get to migration from northbound lanes to have your FM3 or FM2 stamped for exit (like we are all supposed to do EVERYTIME)?:?::?::?:

Pacifico - 9-21-2009 at 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by durrelllrobert
Quote:
Originally posted by TacoFeliz

How about directions to get to migration from northbound lanes to have your FM3 or FM2 stamped for exit (like we are all supposed to do EVERYTIME)?:?::?::?:

Good question!!! I would like to know this as well.......:?:

Don Alley - 9-21-2009 at 10:57 AM

One of the Loreto immigration officers told me I had to get an exit stamp when I left the country. This was this summer, at the Loreto airport when I flew down, after driving out earlier in the summer without getting stamped out and filling out a red form. When I told him border congestion at Tijuana made that very difficult, he said that in the future I could get my exit stamp and red form at the local Loreto office as I left town.

Might be worth looking into.

DENNIS - 9-21-2009 at 10:59 AM

Quote:

Good question!!! I would like to know this as well.......:?:

Why? No one does it that I know of. It's not expected from BCN residents. Could you imagine the mess of every person with an FM stopping to get the book stamped? A lot of those folks go back and forth every day. Sometimes more than once.

DENNIS - 9-21-2009 at 11:06 AM

More inefficiency.
just came back from the fishing license office in the same building as Aduana, Port Capitan and immigration and a Banejercito branch, complete with a teller at the window.
My buddy filled out the app. for his license and was told to go to Banejercito to pay the fee. Not the Banejercito branch which was ten feet away and open but, the Banejercito branch that is five blocks away.
This doesn't even qualify for THIRD world behavior. Fifth or sixth, maybe.

I know. Banjercito ?? is spelled wrong. Why do I not care?

[Edited on 9-21-2009 by DENNIS]

DENNIS - 9-21-2009 at 03:19 PM

By the way....Does everybody pay 520 pesos for a one year fishing license? I think that's what my buddy paid. Sounds like a lot for a hard working man who wants to take his kids fishing.

MikeLikeBaja - 9-21-2009 at 03:22 PM

Dennis, Did your buddy meet you in a white (4runner like) car today? Did you have a long metal piece you were holding? Man, I if that was you and I knew it, I would have run up and hugged you.

MikeLikeBaja - 9-21-2009 at 03:25 PM

Everybody has been very helpful to me at Imagracion office. If you go in with a smile, that helps.

[Edited on 9-21-2009 by MikeLikeBaja]

[Edited on 9-22-2009 by MikeLikeBaja]

MikeLikeBaja - 9-21-2009 at 05:03 PM

The silence confirms to me that I saw the little critter.

Pacifico - 9-21-2009 at 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by MikeLikeBaja
Everybody has been very helpful to me at Imagracion office. If you go in with a smile, that helps.

Not with the little fella......he must have been dropped on his head as a baby!!!

Pacifico - 9-21-2009 at 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
More inefficiency.
just came back from the fishing license office in the same building as Aduana, Port Capitan and immigration and a Banejercito branch, complete with a teller at the window.
My buddy filled out the app. for his license and was told to go to Banejercito to pay the fee. Not the Banejercito branch which was ten feet away and open but, the Banejercito branch that is five blocks away.
This doesn't even qualify for THIRD world behavior. Fifth or sixth, maybe.

I know. Banjercito ?? is spelled wrong. Why do I not care?

[Edited on 9-21-2009 by DENNIS]

That was amazing to me as well!!! Go 5 blocks instead of 5 steps....go figure!!!

Bajahowodd - 9-21-2009 at 05:13 PM

I think they're just having so much fun. Think about it.

MikeLikeBaja - 9-21-2009 at 05:14 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by MikeLikeBaja

Not with the little fella......he must have been dropped on his head as a baby!!!

He is in the other office now. When I see him outside smoking I always say "hi" and he returns the saludos.

MikeLikeBaja - 9-21-2009 at 05:17 PM

That man could no way be grumpier then our own happy Dennis. It is funny, Dennis always brings a smile to my face on here.