BajaNomad

ferry to La Paz from the Mainland (Topolobampo)

discopulga - 5-3-2009 at 09:19 PM

The Ferry was awesome from near Los Mochis to La Paz. First go to the office and pay for your passage, your vehicle if you have one, and a cabin. You cannot stay in your car for the voyage. It took 6 hrs. We boarded on a Sunday evening at around 7 p.m. (it leaves after 10 p.m.) and rented a cabin which sleeps 4 people. It was spotless and the bath, about the size of a motorhome bath, had a shower that had awesome pressure and hot water. Passage for adults was 1,065 pesos, our Infiniti cost 2,105 pesos and the cabin cost 760 pesos. They sell sandwiches on the ferry and at around 10 p.m. they serve a buffet at an extra cost. The ferry gets to La Paz around 8 a.m. You must go thru customs after disembarking. Very good experience

Hook - 5-4-2009 at 06:30 AM

At today's exchange rate, that's about 365 dollars per couple one way. I did not defray the cost of the cabin amongst all four people, only a couple.

Was your Infiniti within the 5.4 meter length classification or longer?

[Edited on 5-4-2009 by Hook]

Awatson - 5-4-2009 at 06:49 AM

The $365 is for 2 people and the car + the cabin. That's not bad.

Hook - 5-4-2009 at 07:54 AM

I guess it's all relative. Living on the mainland, I would probably have to double that amount to get back here.

And, of course, I am remembering the cost of Greek ferries. Man, are they cheap by comparison. Probably heavily subsidized, though.

But the length classification is very important. You go over 5.4 meters and it increases dramatically. That's why I hope he/she returns to this post.