BajaNomad

Anyone done some GOLD detecting in BAJA?

Von - 5-14-2009 at 09:36 AM

Just wondering if any Nomads done any gold prospecting or would like to go with me somewhere in baja gold hunting maybe in some dried up river beds like BOLA im itching to try that dried up river....let me know....Von:bounce:

fdt - 5-14-2009 at 10:44 AM

I purchased a Garrett GTAx750 about 3 years ago to go prospecting or even just take it on trips and use it while camping but have not ever used it. I should go with you. :light:

Do you have one? What did you have in mind?

mulegemichael - 5-14-2009 at 10:46 AM

we've tried panning in the rivers up west of santiago with no luck...we are raw amatuers, tho, so that's kinda what we expected...but we'd like to keep at it if we could see some kind of success.

Von - 5-14-2009 at 10:49 AM

Im getting one like that fdt maybe we can go somewhere where do recommend? I use to go to la rumorosa in the early 90's with a friend but no luck we need to look in river beds and look for Nuggets the size of quarters preferably. what u think?

vandenberg - 5-14-2009 at 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Von
look for Nuggets the size of quarters preferably. what u think?

Sounds good to me. Have done some gold digging in 49er territory.
If you would find nuggets that size, this era would in a couple of decades be known as the 09er goldstrike.:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

But it doesn't hurt to keep dreaming.:P

[Edited on 5-14-2009 by vandenberg]

fdt - 5-14-2009 at 11:15 AM

What if we go to a beach near and try our luck before. You'd be amazed at how many people loose money an jewelry.

DENNIS - 5-14-2009 at 11:45 AM

Let me try again:
---------------------------------

Baja's Hidden Gold : Treasure Along the Mission Trail
by Herman Hill
Paperback -
Reader Rating:
See All Detailed Ratings
Write a ReviewDetails
Usually ships within 24 hours
ISBN-13: 9781934248720Sales Rank: 488,043Pub. Date: October 2008Read reviews
Online Price: $16.95Become a Member and SaveAdd To List uiAction=GetAllLists&page=List&pageType=list&ean=9781934248720&productCode=BK&maxCount=100&threshold=3 1 used from $10.11

Do they detect beer cans?

Dave - 5-14-2009 at 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by fdt
What if we go to a beach near and try our luck before. You'd be amazed at how many people loose money an jewelry.

You could make a fortune. :rolleyes:

DENNIS - 5-14-2009 at 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Dave

Do they detect beer cans?

With all the lead-filled candy available in Mexico, they should be able to pinpoint a loaded baby diaper at fifteen feet deep.

ELINVESTIG8R - 5-14-2009 at 01:38 PM

I have gone out into the Baja desert to look for gold nuggets but never found any. Really I have. I also tried gold panning but no success. You have to take your own water and recycle it. So, please do not try to sell me a treasure map with an X marking the buried gold spot. I already bought one and it was a fake. Thank you. :lol::lol:

Cypress - 5-14-2009 at 01:47 PM

The only gold found in Baja, in any quantity, was real estate and it's sorta lost its luster.:)

Woooosh - 5-14-2009 at 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by fdt

I see a few "treasure hunters" out on the Rosarito beach every day. They must find something or they wouldn't keep comingback.

Do you folks really use metal detectors to find gold ore in water? How? Having lived and panned for gold in Colorado I found that most gold is in small flake form. You really have to "pan them out" to get the little pieces and then put them into a vial. Rarely do you find gold pieces larger that a large grain of rock salt- let alone somthing big enough to set off a hand-held metal detector. People do use machines to break up the creekbeds in fast flowing streams (sluices) and sift them down but you still have to pan out the gold that settles to the bottom by hand. I think gold panners really really like that part.

David K - 5-14-2009 at 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
Let me try again:
---------------------------------

Baja's Hidden Gold : Treasure Along the Mission Trail
by Herman Hill
Paperback -
Reader Rating:
See All Detailed Ratings
Write a ReviewDetails
Usually ships within 24 hours
ISBN-13: 9781934248720Sales Rank: 488,043Pub. Date: October 2008Read reviews
Online Price: $16.95Become a Member and SaveAdd To List uiAction=GetAllLists&page=List&pageType=list&ean=9781934248720&productCode=BK&maxCount=100&threshold=3 1 used from $10.11

===================================================

Here is the book... Herman lives in Guillermo's area of Bahia de los Angeles... Fun read... no directions to the hidden gold are given however! :lol:

Hermans Book-r.JPG - 31kB

DENNIS - 5-15-2009 at 06:07 AM

Thanks David.....I had trouble with the Barnes and Noble link to the full page and cover shot.--------------------

Von..
Ed V. is right-on with his comment about quarter size nuggets. Feel lucky if you ever find one the size of a pea. Quarter size is relativly huge and considered jewelry size which drives up the value.

Paulina - 5-15-2009 at 06:49 AM

Von,
The next time you're in Bahia, go by and meet Herman. He lives at Guillermo's. He's usually on the patio there telling stories. If he's not there, ask anyone around to guide you to his place.

Buy your book from him personally. He'll autograph it for you and then probably talk your ear off about his gold prospecting adventures. He does not make any profit off of the online sale of his book.

Tell him his daughter sent you.

Von - 5-15-2009 at 09:47 AM

cool! ill definetly look him up......thank you