BajaNomad

Baja California in San Diego

fdt - 5-14-2009 at 09:41 PM

The restaurants associations "CANIRAC" of Tijuana, Tecate, Ensenada, Mexicali and Rosarito along with the states government and each cities government is having an event in San Diego's Sea Port Village on May 30th with music, food, drinks, folkloric dancers and more. The event starts at 12noon. I hope as many Nomads as posible can make it there, it will be a great event were to meet felow Nomads and also it will be a great opportunity for all of you to meet the governor, secretary of tourism and all five mayors.
Hope to see you there.
Saludos

http://www.bajabythesea.org/english/index.html

[Edited on 5-15-2009 by fdt]

David K - 5-14-2009 at 09:52 PM

Almost like being in Baja without crossing the border! Saturday the 30th!

I hope we can make it... :coolup:

fishbuck - 5-14-2009 at 11:12 PM

Yes and you will get to meet the Ambasador of Tijuana. Our very own FDT!:yes:

fdt - 5-15-2009 at 10:04 AM

I'll be there for sure.

Woooosh - 5-15-2009 at 10:05 AM

Not safe enough to hold this event in Mexico? Fresh lobster isn't even available in Baja again until september and Red Lobster is running better specials. No one is coming to Mexico for food until Mexico gets it's act together- no time soon. This is pathetic IMHO. If you want touisrts to visit...become tourist friendly! geesh

[Edited on 5-15-2009 by Woooosh]

arrowhead - 5-15-2009 at 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Woooosh
Here's the option. Turn the currently failed San Diego Old Town toursit zone over to Baja restauranteurs, craftsmen and merchants for five years. Give tourists a real baja experience in safety- not a one-day tent side show in a park.

I think the phrase "real baja experience in safety" is an oxymarooon. How would you safely recreate the open meter holes in the middle of the sidewalks, the 18" curbs to step off, or the non-standard stairways with no handrails? I don't think state laws would allow those little kids to run around blocking your way selling chicles. I also don't think they would allow taco carts with the burners bolted right to the top of the propane bottles.

CaboRon - 5-15-2009 at 10:48 AM

Quote:
Not safe enough to hold this event in Mexico? Fresh lobster isn't even available in Baja again until september and Red Lobster is running better specials. No one is coming to Mexico for food until Mexico gets it's act together- no time soon. This is pathetic IMHO. If you want touisrts to visit...become tourist friendly! geesh

Two words GUEST SERVICE

That is what brings in the business ....

Woooosh - 5-15-2009 at 10:49 AM

OK- My post may have been negative without providing a positive option... although the lack of credibility and wisdon shown by still promoting Baja as a real estate investment location is troubling- there is a possibility.

Here's the option. Turn the currently failed San Diego Old Town toursit zone over to Baja restauranteurs, craftsmen and merchants for five years. Give tourists a real baja experience in safety- not a one-day tent side show in a park. They could enjoy the real food and crafts. No need to scare anyone, deal with TJ or wait in long lines to cross the border in either direction. A safe way to experience contemporary Baja until they make it safe for visitors to enjoy what is left of the real one! Five years may not be long enough though...

fdt - 5-15-2009 at 11:19 AM

Dearest Woooosh;
Wouldn't attending this event (even if you are not a turist but a resident) be a great and unique opportunity to talk to the people in charge about your concerns and ideas?
:light:

Bajaboy - 5-15-2009 at 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by fdt
Dearest Woooosh;
Wouldn't attending this event (even if you are not a turist but a resident) be a great and unique opportunity to talk to the people in charge about your concerns and ideas?

He'd be a tourist in San Diego:lol:

So FDT, is there free food and exhibits? The website is a bit vague in my opinion. Why does one need to register? Is this a cultural exhibit or one to lure people to invest in Baja? Just some questions...

Zac

DENNIS - 5-15-2009 at 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by fdt

What is Baja-Med cuisine?

El Camote - 5-15-2009 at 11:37 AM

I'm still trying to figure out what is "trough the senses". Maybe the food is so good, you'd prefer to eat it from a trough. Maybe they've seen me eat good Mexican food. :bounce:;)

fdt - 5-15-2009 at 11:38 AM

It's open to the public and yes, free food and drinks. It is a cultural event promoted initialy by CANIRAC, the restaurants association. The reason for registering is so they know who and ow many are going to attend.

Note: If you by any chance decided to leave Baja California Sur permanently on or around May 1st please avoid registering.

oldlady - 5-15-2009 at 11:38 AM

Promotional activity is most effectively done where the target market IS in order to motivate the consumer. Whoosh and Caboron....this isn't a tough concept.
The selection of the venue and the promotional copy seem like a good way to provide a point of view alternative to your own in a pleasant surrounding.

Udo - 5-15-2009 at 12:51 PM

Jana & I will be there

Hope to meet many Nomads. We will wear our "BAJA NOMADS" t-shirts.:bounce:

dtbushpilot - 5-15-2009 at 01:00 PM

Jill and I will be there.....I'd wear my Nomad tee shirt if I had one. Are they available yet?.....dt

DENNIS - 5-15-2009 at 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS

Does anybody know.......or has heard of this? Sounds like a shared signature style. Very confusing.

Woooosh - 5-15-2009 at 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by fdt
Dearest Woooosh;

They don't care what anyone thinks becasue nothing is actionable. They are just totally desperate for dollars. It's all thinly veiled propaganda disguised as a trade show. If they dropped the real estate hype- they might have passed the crediility and smell test. But nope. Everyone in San Diego knows what frozen deep fried lobsters tastes like already.

I would be very surprised if this event didn't turn into an anti-Mexico protest forum for the 1000 "displaced" residents from Rosarito Beach and many others! Those people could turn this event upside down before it even starts and the Mexicans would produced this event will run back across the border with thier furry tails between their legs. Maybe the parenets of the slain teenagers will show up withe the mother of the boy who was killed over his still-missing meat truck. I'll bet this event does more harm that good- justifiably so IMHO. Still SOS.

Woooosh - 5-15-2009 at 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by oldlady
Promotional activity is most effectively done where the target market IS in order to motivate the consumer. Whoosh and Caboron....this isn't a tough concept.
The selection of the venue and the promotional copy seem like a good way to provide a point of view alternative to your own in a pleasant surrounding.

Location? Timing? Was the Cinqo de Mayo weekend booked up or something? The timing of promotions is just as important as the location of the target audience- this planning group gets an "F".

Woooosh - 5-15-2009 at 01:41 PM

Doesn't the new passport law go into effect in two weeks? Maybe they should have a booth at the event for applying for passport cards.

A booth to hire private security for your trip... A booth to buy Mexican car insurance (see Mexican accident thread)... A booth to show potential tourists how to shop for souvenirs wthout getting jacked and your SUV stolen... a booth to show how to duck for cover when they fire rounds into the Puerto Nuevo restaurant you are dining in... A booth to tell investors what areas your children will be kidnapped in and any assisting officers beheaded. All good info! Let's give them the full experience with full disclosure. That will bring the crowds back down to Baja.

DENNIS - 5-15-2009 at 01:44 PM

I would guess that this event has been in the planning stages for quite some time, judging from the reference to the "most rapidly growing destination in tourism and real estate in Mexico." Either that or somebody is taking disingenuousness to new levels.
Oh well....I hope the food's good and the wind doesn't blow.

Nobody will tell us what Baja/Med Cuisine is? Somebody must know something.

DENNIS - 5-15-2009 at 01:52 PM

Baja/Med Cuisine doesn't have anything to do with eating Turtle, does it?

BajaGeoff - 5-15-2009 at 02:02 PM

Gypsy Jan did a "Baja Med" post on Chowhound last year....

Here is what they ate:

--------------------------------------------------------------------

- Clam shots - fresh, raw clams in a bright, citrus marinade with a touch of vodka
- Oysters and spinach in a cream sauce, roasted in the shell on rock salt
- Roasted duck tacos, in house made, grill roasted flour tortilla shells stuffed with field greens.
- Marlin fish tacos, cooked with cheese, onion and sweet red pepper in the same grilled flour tortillas.

Then, two perfectly grilled rib eye steaks that could be cut with the side of a fork were delivered, with crisp, fresh sautéed string beans and French fries

One dessert, a house made guava/apple pie with vanilla ice cream and a beautiful looking and tasting green drizzle, the name of which I don’t remember, because, by then, I was in a food coma

--------------------------------------------------------------------

So...I am still not sure exactly what Baja Med is, but I would eat pretty much all of that stuff!

Woooosh - 5-15-2009 at 02:16 PM

I'm sure the event will be well attended... by all the stranded cruise ship passengers in San Diego who were supposed to be in Mexican ports of call. Maybe they won't even notice they aren't in Mexico! nah...

fdt - 5-15-2009 at 02:17 PM

I don't think there is a particular dish that is Baja Med or that one dish is what Baja Med is. Baja of course is for Baja California and Med is for diferent reasons, one beeing the mediterrnean climate we have, second the wines and third the ingredients or spices used to complement traditional Baja California or Mexican foods. I'm not certain but I also believe it was here in Tijuana that it started, La Querencia maybe?
Now serving traditional mexican or Baja California dishes with mediterranean type of seasonings or methods of cooking and not beeing able to distinguish an accentuated flavor of either would be Baja Med cuisine.
I'm hoping I did not confuse you more :saint:

Were is our resident expert JESSE when we need him?

tripledigitken - 5-15-2009 at 02:20 PM

Quote:
Quote:

Does anybody know.......or has heard of this? Sounds like a shared signature style. Very confusing.

Dennis,

Surely you have heard of Fusion Cuisine? Merging styles of preparation of various cuisines.

For example take a Bacon Wrapped Hotdog and put it in a tortilla. Call it "Mexican Americana". I won't even mention Tex-Mex!:spingrin::tumble::spingrin:

Ken

Woooosh - 5-15-2009 at 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by fdt
I don't think there is a particular dish that is Baja Med or what Baja Med is. Baja of course is for Baja California and Med is for diferent reasons, one beeing the mediterrnean climate we have, second the wines and third the ingredients or spices used to complement traditional Baja California or Mexican foods. I'm not certain but I also believe it was here in Tijuana that it started, La Querencia maybe?
Now serving traditional mexican or Baja California dishes with mediterranean type of seasonings or methods of cooking and not beeing able to distinguish an accentuated flavor of either would be Baja Med cuisine.

Baja-Med is probably just another typo like "trough." I've run 176 restaurants all over the USA and never heard that one before. Could be the creative use of the similar latitude and inland climate as the Mediterranean or use of healthy olive oils and seafoods, but more likely just a "Baja-Mex" typo like the "trough" one.

I think getting people to come to eat in Baja while at the same time inventing a new style of food prepartation for their arrival is a stretch for sure.

tripledigitken - 5-15-2009 at 02:33 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by fdt
I don't think there is a particular dish that is Baja Med or what Baja Med is. Baja of course is for Baja California and Med is for diferent reasons, one beeing the mediterrnean climate we have, second the wines and third the ingredients or spices used to complement traditional Baja California or Mexican foods. I'm not certain but I also believe it was here in Tijuana that it started, La Querencia maybe?

Baja-Med is probably just another typo like "trough." I've run 176 restaurants all over the USA and never heard that one before. Could be the creative use of the similar latitude and inland climate as the Mediterranean or use of healthy olive oils and seafoods, but more likely just a "Baja-Mex" typo like the "trough" one.

I think getting people to come to eat in Baja while at the same time inventing a new style of food prepartation for their arrival is a stretch for sure.

Woooosh,

There not inventing the style. It's been around for years. I would hope you know of Villa Saverios in TJ, which serves food of that style.

They also have a restaurant in Bonita called "Romesco's-A Baja Med Bistro" which is an excellent restaurant.

Get out more! Enjoy yourself.

Ken

DENNIS - 5-15-2009 at 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaGeoff
So...I am still not sure exactly what Baja Med is, but I would eat pretty much all of that stuff!

Yeah, Geoff....Most of that sounds really good....except the clammy things. They need to be cooked.

comitan - 5-15-2009 at 02:40 PM

Dennis

The Gringo Gazette South has an article,( The term Baja Med is more like a movement. Local growers,vintners,and chefs are all sharing a new idea, CNN, Gourmet Magazine and the New York Times have talked about and acquired the taste.) In short its about using all the fresh produce, seafoad and wines, olive oils and fresh spices.

DENNIS - 5-15-2009 at 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by tripledigitken
For example take a Bacon Wrapped Hotdog and put it in a tortilla.

Or, Carnitas in a hot dog bun. OK I'm starting to get it now. I'm also starting to have cravings for Carnitas.

DENNIS - 5-15-2009 at 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by comitan
The term Baja Med is more like a movement.

Oh lord, Wiley. I never figuered regularity would enter into it.
Thanks for the explaination.

BajaGeoff - 5-15-2009 at 02:48 PM

I second that notion Dennis. I think they should serve carnitas in hot dog buns at Padres games.

fdt - 5-15-2009 at 02:54 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by tripledigitken
For example take a Bacon Wrapped Hotdog and put it in a tortilla.

Or, Carnitas in a hot dog bun. OK I'm starting to get it now. I'm also starting to have cravings for Carnitas.

bajabound2005 - 5-15-2009 at 02:57 PM

Fortunately, we live in Baja and get to enjoy the food and wines of Baja every day!

DENNIS - 5-15-2009 at 02:58 PM

WHERE'S THE BACON??????????

BajaGeoff - 5-15-2009 at 02:59 PM

no bacon = major problem

DENNIS - 5-15-2009 at 03:01 PM

Not only is there no bacon on that dog, it's questionable whether the new and improved Craig's List would even post that picture. :lol::lol:

Woooosh - 5-15-2009 at 03:12 PM

Quote:
Dennis

The Gringo Gazette South has an article,( The term Baja Med is more like a movement. Local growers,vintners,and chefs are all sharing a new idea, CNN, Gourmet Magazine and the New York Times have talked about and acquired the taste.) In short its about using all the fresh produce, seafoad and wines, olive oils and fresh spices.

Hmmm. So "Baja-Med" is just Mediterranean food when served in Baja? The Mediterranean produce and seafood is more varied, intense and exceptional in quality- so maybe Baja-Med is the "light-version" ?. Makes perfect mexisense to me now... :lol:

No, sadly I don't go out in TJ at night to dine. I can't relax inside not knowing if my car is OK in the lot or if my family house is OK in Rosarito. We are still on "high alert" here. I don't even go to the movies in Rosarito because the chances of our car being there when you come out are limited. I suppose both situations are easily solved by taking cabs though...

I do dine out a lot in Vegas although I have great love and respect for the caesar salad :) I learned how to prepare one properly from a Mexican chef decades ago and I still make a mean one. The Caesar Salad is one of the few things I never ding Mexico for- even when the raw egg people pile on (a proper caesar dressing is made with a coddled, not raw, egg).

DENNIS - 5-15-2009 at 03:20 PM

Quote:

I don't even go to the movies in Rosarito because the chances of our car being there when you come out are limited. I suppose both situations are easily solved by taking cabs though...

Why don't you get a POS beater? One that no self-respecting thief would steal. Search.... Pizza Insurance.... here on Nomad.

Woooosh - 5-15-2009 at 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by CaboRon
Quote:
Originally posted by fdt
Quote:
I'm sure the event will be well attended... by all the stranded cruise ship passengers in San Diego who were supposed to be in Mexican ports of call. Maybe they won't even notice they aren't in Mexico! nah...

Why don't you just not go?

Why don't you just stay in TJ where you obviously belong :lol::lol::lol:

Do they really let you cross the border or do you hike through Jacumba :lol::lol::lol:

Really though- all those cruise ship passengers will love to see Baja being promoted at the same time they are being prohibited from visiting.

Not great timing either. Nothing says " honor our war vets during Memorial Day Week" like a pro-Mexico event. I don't see this event coming off as the organizers had planned. Too many negatives and uncontrolables. The Trump Baja victims will probably jump in to protest along with everyone else too.

They should have dropped the real estate hype and just made it a crafts and food event. Even then it should have been held on May 5- when nothing happens in Mexico but everyone would have been interested in San Diego. Memorial Day week? duh

CaboRon - 5-15-2009 at 04:49 PM

Old Town San Diego has had a spanish villiage for over fifty years, with great restaurants and many craft vendors .

Why bring the Real Estate agents into it .....

This looks as if it is just another BS event to sell real estate :lol::lol::lol:

[Edited on 5-15-2009 by CaboRon]

woody with a view - 5-15-2009 at 05:19 PM

Quote:
Old Town San Diego has had a spanish villiage for over fifty years, with great restaurants and many craft vendors .

This looks as if it is just another BS event to sell real estate :lol::lol::lol:

i think the village sprouted about 150 years ago. ask junipero serra, or alonzo horton. they should know!

Woooosh - 5-15-2009 at 05:28 PM

Quote:

I think you missed the past few years at Old Town... The State threw out the longtime successful operator (Dianne Powers), brought in some corporate geeks from Deleware who changed everything (including the restaurants) and fired everyone. They killed the place financially and I think it is being handed over to someone else again. Leasing it for free to Baja restaurants, craftsmen and such for a few years would be a generous offer and would be much better than what is there now.

[Edited on 5-16-2009 by Woooosh]

bajabound2005 - 5-15-2009 at 05:46 PM

Hey, Woooosh -- do you like anything....anywhere?

Woooosh - 5-15-2009 at 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajabound2005

Why do you ask? Just because I post of my dislike of shady real estate deals and promotions, the general social ignorance, the rampant institutionalized corruption and a total lack of public security bordering on "failed state" deosn't mean I don't like living here. It's getting me ready for my next life in hell. :biggrin:

woody with a view - 5-15-2009 at 05:53 PM

Quote:
Quote:

Why do you ask? Just because I post of my dislike of shady real estate deals and promotions, the general social ignorance, the rampant institutionalized corruption and a total lack of public security bordering on "failed state" deosn't mean I don't like living here. It's getting me ready for my next life in hell. :biggrin:

:P:lol::P:lol::P:lol:

CaboRon - 5-15-2009 at 05:56 PM

Quote:
Quote:

I think you missed the past few years at Old Town... The State threw out the longtime successful operator (Dianne Powers), brought in some corporate geeks from Deleware who changed everything (including the restaurants) and fired everyone. They killed the place financially and I think it is being handed over to someone else again. Leasing it for free to Baja restaurants, craftsmen and such for a few years would be a generous offer and would be much better than what is there now.

That is really too bad, I have many fine memories of the place ....

CaboRon - 5-15-2009 at 06:22 PM

Quote:
Not only is there no bacon on that dog, it's questionable whether the new and improved Craig's List would even post that picture. :lol::lol:

:lol::lol::bounce::lol::bounce::lol::wow::lol::bounce::lol::lol:

CaboRon - 5-15-2009 at 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by woody in ob
Quote:

i think the village sprouted about 150 years ago. ask junipero serra, or alonzo horton. they should know!

Never meet the dudes Woody :lol::lol:

Woooosh - 5-15-2009 at 06:36 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

They were well intentioned and tried to be more authentic in their historic portrayal of life there 150 years ago. The costumes were all tunic-styled and brown instead of the vivid colors most people would associate with Mexico. Same for the shops and restaurant- historically correct but nothing exciting. It just wasn't what people wanted. There were also a lot of hurt feelings in the community. Why people tinker with success I'll never know or understand.

Bajaboy - 5-15-2009 at 07:27 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

They were well intentioned and tried to be more authentic in their historic portrayal of life there 150 years ago. The costumes were all tunic-styled and brown instead of the vivid colors most people would associate with Mexico. Same for the shops and restaurant- historically correct but nothing exciting. It just wasn't what people wanted. There were also a lot of hurt feelings in the community. Why people tinker with success I'll never know or understand.

It all came down to money...Delaware West offered the State of California more money...plain and simple.

Von - 5-15-2009 at 07:36 PM

Well i dont care if theres any stink'n protest...... my wife and i are going. And would be happy to register:bounce: We hope to see all you bajanomads ok:spingrin: ill be wearing my super bright DRAGON shirt you can not miss me... come and ask for your free beer when you see me.................."Von i want my free beer" and ill get you one ok....see you guys there....

Fred - 5-15-2009 at 07:39 PM

Von..................I want one

Santiago - 5-15-2009 at 07:47 PM

Who's this Von guy? I think I like him.
Flowers: are you going to be wearing your Ban Roll-on costume?

Bajaboy - 5-15-2009 at 07:47 PM

Von-I'm registered and I'm going to work hard for Gabriel's first words to be "Von get my dad a beer"

Zac

ps. Did my first 50 miler last weekend!

David K - 5-15-2009 at 08:39 PM

The link to the registration online form: http://www.bajabythesea.org/registro.html

Register seperately for each family member, as it will probably be for name tags.

Elizabeth and I will see you guys there!

fishbuck - 5-15-2009 at 09:38 PM

Could this be an unofficial replacement for our beloved Pyramid Book signing?
I think I will try and make this event... I hear there is free beer!

fishbuck - 5-15-2009 at 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bajaboy
Von-I'm registered and I'm going to work hard for Gabriel's first words to be "Von get my dad a beer"

Zac

How long does it take to walk 50 miles?:spingrin:

Bajaboy - 5-15-2009 at 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by fishbuck
Quote:

Zac

12 hours! Next up, 100!

CaboRon - 5-15-2009 at 10:00 PM

Quote:
Quote:

fishbuck - 5-16-2009 at 01:23 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by fishbuck
Quote:

Zac

12 hours! Next up, 100!

Wow, that's a long time!
Where this Baja Festival is at was part of the race course for a half marathon that I ran in San Diego. It started at Point Loma Lighthouse and ended at Balboa Park. It's in August and they hold it every year.
It was kind hot in August!

changes to old town??

capt. mike - 5-16-2009 at 07:03 AM

is the old town tortilla factory still there? :?::?:

CaboRon - 5-16-2009 at 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by capt. mike

When I was growing up that was my favorite restaurant :bounce:

Bajaboy - 5-16-2009 at 07:12 AM

Quote:

If you're referring to Old Town Mexican Cafe, yes, it is still there. It was the park that was changed and not the restaurants outside of the historical part.

CaboRon - 5-16-2009 at 07:25 AM

Quote:
Quote:

If you're referring to Old Town Mexican Cafe, yes, it is still there. It was the park that was changed and not the restaurants outside of the historical part.

That's great , perhaps I will go for lunch during the week.

Thanks for the info.

Today the second and final truck arrives from Todos Santos.

I have been spending most of my days at the San Diego Zoo getting some good walking . The new exhibits are awesome!!

Also Balboa Park is even more beautiful than ever....

CaboRon

[Edited on 5-16-2009 by CaboRon]

Bajaboy - 5-16-2009 at 08:29 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Thanks for the info.

I have been spending most of my days at the San Diego Zoo getting some good walking . The new exhibits are awesome!!

CaboRon

I was at the zoo myself yesterday....I can't wait for the new elephant exhibit to open later this month.

David K - 5-16-2009 at 09:07 AM

Looking forward to the event... will have on Baja Nomad shirt and 'got baja?' hat... See you all there!

Udo - 5-16-2009 at 09:18 AM

HEY!

I don't have a "got baja" hat.

BUT, if just a few Nomads wear our tshirts, the ones that don't can figger out who we are, and hopefully hook up.

One question...I hope Fernando can answer.
The Embarcadero is a large place. Are they taking over the whole wharf? Or is the event held in a specific building or landmark?

CaboRon - 5-16-2009 at 09:58 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Thanks for the info.

CaboRon

I was at the zoo myself yesterday....I can't wait for the new elephant exhibit to open later this month.

Yea, I am looking forward to the elephants finally moveing out of their old enclosures into somethng much larger and more natural :bounce:

David K - 5-16-2009 at 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by udowinkler
HEY!

I don't have a "got baja" hat.

BUT, if just a few Nomads wear our tshirts, the ones that don't can figger out who we are, and hopefully hook up.

One question...I hope Fernando can answer.
The Embarcadero is a large place. Are they taking over the whole wharf? Or is the event held in a specific building or landmark?

Udo... see the web page with a satellite image and arrow:
http://www.bajabythesea.org/english/index.html

Udo - 5-16-2009 at 10:19 AM

Thanks David!

fdt - 5-17-2009 at 07:47 AM

Thanks David

bajadock - 5-18-2009 at 04:54 PM

FDT,
Thanks for posting this event. I was trying to find a way to attend and hawk flyers for our GOLF4Niños event, but, gotta be at family reunion that weekend back east.

I know that you, nomads and others will HAVEABLAST.

BajaWarrior - 5-18-2009 at 06:41 PM

Pretty sure we'll be there, sounds like fun!

David K - 5-19-2009 at 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaWarrior
Pretty sure we'll be there, sounds like fun!

Chuck: You guys going to be at Bahia Santa Maria this weekend (Memorial Day)?

May see you there... We will be camping on Shell Island (tide permitting) and will come south to visit with Rob & Connie one day of the weekend.

CaboRon - 5-19-2009 at 09:15 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Dennis

Hmmm. So "Baja-Med" is just Mediterranean food when served in Baja? The Mediterranean produce and seafood is more varied, intense and exceptional in quality- so maybe Baja-Med is the "light-version" ?. Makes perfect mexisense to me now... :lol:

No, sadly I don't go out in TJ at night to dine. I can't relax inside not knowing if my car is OK in the lot or if my family house is OK in Rosarito. We are still on "high alert" here. I don't even go to the movies in Rosarito because the chances of our car being there when you come out are limited. I suppose both situations are easily solved by taking cabs though...

I do dine out a lot in Vegas although I have great love and respect for the caesar salad :) I learned how to prepare one properly from a Mexican chef decades ago and I still make a mean one. The Caesar Salad is one of the few things I never ding Mexico for- even when the raw egg people pile on (a proper caesar dressing is made with a coddled, not raw, egg).

Interesting, how do you "coddle" and egg ....

Sounds almost obscene even though I love a good Caeser salad :lol:

comitan - 5-19-2009 at 09:19 AM

Ron

Coddled is half cooked like your brain.

Woooosh - 5-19-2009 at 09:25 AM

Quote:
Ron

Coddled is half cooked like your brain.

slightly less than half-cooked... not sure if that affects the brain analogy.

comitan - 5-19-2009 at 09:33 AM

Maybe addled fits better.

CaboRon - 5-19-2009 at 09:41 AM

Quote:
Quote:

CaboRon - 5-19-2009 at 09:47 AM

Quote:
Quote:

Found it , thanks

http://www.oldtownmexcafe.com/