BajaNomad

Baja By The Sea at Embarcadero Park in San Diego

fdt - 5-24-2009 at 08:29 AM

CANIRAC, The Baja California restaurants associations of Tijuana, Tecate, Rosarito, Ensenada and Mexicali are having an event called "Baja by the Sea" in San Diego at Embarcadero Park next saturday May 30th.
It is all free and will be a great opportunity to taste the different foods and wines of Baja California, enjoy great folkloric music and much much more. Baja California state officials will be there like the governor and secretary of tourism as well as the city mayors and tourism officials of all five municipalities.
Parking at Embarcadero Park is limmited but neighboring Sea Port Village has ample parking that gives you 2 hours free parking when you make a purchase at one of their shops, they charge 3dollars for additional hours
I hope you can make it to this exiting event.

Visit the web site and register so they know youre attending.
http://www.bajabythesea.org/english/index.html

NOTE: I look forward to seeing you there and I will be happy to answer any questions you might have regarding this event but with all due respect if you feel compelled to criticize Baja California or in any way feel a need to hijack this thread because you have personal problems or issues with Baja California please feel free to do so on this already hijacked thread:
http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=38738#pid4163...

[Edited on 5-31-2009 by fdt]

jeans - 5-24-2009 at 07:34 PM

Hey...sounds like fun and no waiting at the border!

Where will you be, Fernando?

Edit: I made a simple name tag in a Word Document with the BajaNomad Logo - you can drop you name in - so Nomads can ID each other (for those us us who do not have a T-shirt) . U2U your email address and I'll send it to you.

[Edited on 5-28-2009 by jeans]

fdt - 5-24-2009 at 07:45 PM

I don't know exactly were but looks like I'll be assigned to help my friend Juan Saldaña at the Ensenada pavillion. I prefer to be just a tourist :yes:

AmoPescar - 5-24-2009 at 11:53 PM

Hola Mi Amigo

I'm hoping to be there. Sounds like a real good time!

Looking forward to seeing you there.

Amo Pescar :P:saint::spingrin:

fdt - 5-25-2009 at 06:11 AM

Great Amo, it's always great to see you mi amigo.

bajadock - 5-25-2009 at 06:39 AM

FDT,
Thanks for spreading your good cheers. I'm hoping to catch up with Ensenada team(sent him email request, thanks) today or tomorrow.

fdt - 5-26-2009 at 05:43 AM

I'm glad they are going to help out.

docsmom - 5-26-2009 at 08:30 PM

I'm so excited as I write this 'cuz I just learned that I'll be in San Diego all day on the 30th and would love to tour the expo and meet any Nomads I can find. I've looked at the map on the expo website but as a Tucsonan, and not familiar with SD, I can't really decipher it. I'll probably be at Seaport Village for breakfast, with the 80+ year old in laws. Can we walk from there with the old folks? Is there somewhere close to the event where we should park? Should we take the folks back to their apartment before we come?
I welcome any detailed information you can give me and I hope to see you there!
Kathy and David (docsmom & docsdad)

Udo - 5-26-2009 at 08:50 PM

Be sure to wear your Nomad Tshirt :light:and identify yourself as a proud member!:yes:

dtbushpilot - 5-26-2009 at 08:55 PM

I still don't have one udo. Jill and I will probably ride down on the motorcycle so we may be dressed in motorcycle garb. Any idea what time you are going to be there, I'll look for you.....dt

bajadock - 5-26-2009 at 09:14 PM

Shameless cross-thread promo, as FDT connnected me with the Ensenada team for Baja By The Sea. http://GOLF4NINOS.wordpress.com will have flyers at the SD event.

I'm flying east May 27, so can't pester fellow nomads on this one. Hope to see photos.

Coordinating marketing efforts is a grand idea.

fdt - 5-27-2009 at 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by docsmom
I'll probably be at Seaport Village for breakfast, with the 80+ year old in laws. Can we walk from there with the old folks? Is there somewhere close to the event where we should park? Should we take the folks back to their apartment before we come?

It is walking distance from Sea Port Village even for the young 80 year olds. As a matter of fact the best place to park would be Sea Port Village and they will give you 2 hours free parking (if you purchase something at one of their stores). As for taking them back to the apartmet, it's up to you but I would allow them to enjoy the festivities.

http://www.portofsandiego.org/recreation/1599-first-annual-b...

First Annual “Baja by the Sea” Event to Showcase Cuisine, Wine and Culture of Mexico
Tuesday, 26 May 2009

On Saturday, May 30, 2009, the Port of San Diego's Embarcadero Marina Park North will turn into Baja California Norte for the first annual Baja by the Sea.

Sponsored by the government and the mayors in Baja, California cities, the event will showcase the area as a major tourism destination. The Honorable Jose Guadalupe Osuna Millan, governor of Baja California, will join Baja's Secretary of Tourism, Oscar Jesus Escovedo Carignan and other government leaders to help promote Mexico's tourism and real estate industries.

"The Port of San Diego is proud to host 'Baja by the Sea' in a tidelands park," said Commissioner Robert "Dukie" Valderrama, who will be giving opening remarks at the event. "The Port shares a sister port relationship with the Port of Ensenada and we will do all we can to promote business and tourism in Ensenada and all of Baja California."

The Baja cities of Tijuana, Mexicali, Rosarito, Ensenada and Tecate will be represented with regional cuisine, wine, art, musical performances and other entertainment. Business leaders from these cities will be on hand to discuss growing business opportunities as well as present information on recreation and tourism. Event hours are from 12 p.m. to 6 p.m. and admission is free.

For more information on the event, or to register as a business vendor, go to www.bajabythesea.org.

docsmom - 5-27-2009 at 11:03 AM

Thank you FDT.

fdt - 5-27-2009 at 11:20 AM

You're welcome and I also sent you a U2U with my contact info.

David K - 5-27-2009 at 03:13 PM

Baja Angel and I are planning on going... See you there Fernando!

Bajaboy - 5-27-2009 at 08:53 PM

Wait-didn't Von say something about buying beers?

Inside scoop

fdt - 5-28-2009 at 07:51 AM

Just got the inside scoop that Governor Osuna is in training an will be preparing "Ensalada Gobernador" a Baja California salad, Mayor Jorge Ramos from Tijuana will be preparing Caesar Salad, Mayor Hugo Torres from Rosarito will be preparing lobster burritos, Mayor Pablo Alejo from Ensenada will be preparing fish tacos. I am trying to find out what the Mexicali and Tecate mayors are going to be making.
Wow, what a fun event, a unique experience indeed.

Bob H - 5-28-2009 at 08:24 AM

I will try to be there, for sure! :tumble:
Bob H

jeans - 5-28-2009 at 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by udowinkler
Be sure to wear your Nomad Tshirt :light:and identify yourself as a proud member!:yes:

If you don't have a T-shirt, I made a simple name tag in WORD. U2U me with your email address

fdt - 5-29-2009 at 12:50 AM

Hey, I want a name tag.:yes:

David K - 5-29-2009 at 08:08 AM

Having attended other Mexican government functions in the past, and noting that they asked what organization you are with, I would guess they will provide name tags? The Tastes of Tijuana comes to mind from about 4 years ago...

Did everyone who is going tomorrow register on the web site, as requested???

jeans - 5-29-2009 at 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
Having attended other Mexican government functions in the past, and noting that they asked what organization you are with, I would guess they will provide name tags? The Tastes of Tijuana comes to mind from about 4 years ago...

The name tag I made has the Baja Nomad Logo and you can put your BN handle on it. If they provide name tags... Great..but it will be with real names, which we don't know...(mostly)

jeans - 5-29-2009 at 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by fdt
Hey, I want a name tag.:yes:

On it's way!

Bajaboy - 5-29-2009 at 09:22 AM

Quote:

Yep, I registered as David K:bounce:

David K - 5-29-2009 at 09:24 AM

Not sure how long we will hang around, but I will bring my camera so those who can't be there will get to see some of the event.

Haven't heard if Doug (Baja Nomad) and family will be there... Hopefully there isn't a baseball game at the same time!

Hasta Mañana!:bounce:

David K - 5-29-2009 at 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bajaboy
Quote:

Yep, I registered as David K:bounce:

Then can I be 'BajaBoy'?:light:

Woooosh - 5-29-2009 at 09:39 AM

Wine, food, and art from BaJa California will be featured tomorrow at the Embarcadero Marina Park, behind Seaport Village, in an effort by business and government to revive a struggling tourism industry.

Baja by the Sea, scheduled from noon to 6 p.m., will offer dishes such as fish tacos from Ensenada and Caesar salad from Tijuana, beer from three breweries and 30 types of wine.

Organizers of the free event have scheduled performances by the Baja California Orchestra, the Nortec Collective and Lux Boreal, a contemporary dance troupe. Organizers have also scheduled a demonstration of lucha libre, the wrest1ing performances that regularly draw crowds in Mexico.

Baja California Gov. Jos6 Guadalupe Osuna Millin and the state's five mayors will be playing host during the event, spearheaded by Baja California's restaurant chamber, Cantrac.

By showcasing the state's food and culture, promoters are hoping to persuade visitors to return to Mexico. A combination of factors - including drug-related violence, long lines at the border and the recession - has led to a dramatic drop in tourism in recent years.

"If the tourist isn't coming to us because of the crisis, we're going out to look for the market," said Francisco Villegas, Canirac's president.

A schedule of the event and directions are available at bajabythesea.org.

Graham - 5-29-2009 at 12:15 PM

I've just registered. That was easy. Sounds like it will be a fascinating and fun event.

Looking forward to seeing you all there.

Graham Mackintosh

David K - 5-29-2009 at 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Graham
I've just registered. That was easy. Sounds like it will be a fascinating and fun event.

Looking forward to seeing you all there.

Graham Mackintosh

It will be good to see you, as well!

Will you provide the 'hand caught' dorado for fish tacos? :lol: :

Carne Assada

Graham - 5-29-2009 at 05:35 PM

Actually... I'm bringing the Baja burro for the burritos.

I'll try not to overcook it this time.

;D

capt. mike - 5-30-2009 at 06:57 AM

Graham - i was just curious - you being a Scottsman and all (right?).

what is your favorite malted Scotch? and what is a good value Scotch?

with branch water, club soda, on the rocks or neat?

David K - 5-30-2009 at 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Graham
Actually... I'm bringing the Baja burro for the burritos.

I'll try not to overcook it this time.

;D

Yah... good idea, I like my burro rare!

Gang, the weather prediction (if you are coming here from out of town) is grey skys and chance of drizzle... bring a light jacket or wind breaker. The ground is wet this morning in Oceanside.

See you in a few hours... we will probably be there about 1 pm and hang out for an hour or two.

BajaWarrior - 5-30-2009 at 09:11 AM

There is definate drizzle to today. It is 9:00 a.m. and still dripping from our roof. We live about 8 miles from Seaport Village. Hopefully it will at least dry up as we plan on being there around 1 p.m.

See ya there...

David K - 5-30-2009 at 10:20 AM

See you there Chuck (and others)... We are getting ready to head out soon...

Von - 5-30-2009 at 10:35 AM

Still drizzleing here in Tierrasanta its probably even more by the water usually it is. Wife said it sure looks gloomy but were still going around 1pm.

Graham - 5-30-2009 at 07:15 PM

It was a gray day... but any drizzle had cleared when we arrived about 12.30. What a wonderful location... delicious Mexican dishes, plenty of beer and wine, margaritas too. Entertainment. FREE!!

So glad we went. Good to see Jerry Sanders there with the Baja governor, city mayors, and other dignitaries. And some very colorful Nomads. An event to remember. Thankyou Baja California. Can't wait for next year.

[Edited on 5-31-2009 by Graham]

Graham - 5-30-2009 at 07:17 PM

Warm Baja Welcome

Graham - 5-30-2009 at 07:20 PM

Jeans, Jana and Bonni

[Edited on 5-31-2009 by Graham]

Graham - 5-30-2009 at 07:28 PM

Bonni chatting with Tecate mayor, Donaldo Penalosa

Graham - 5-30-2009 at 07:32 PM

Fernando, Udo and Yours Truly

Graham - 5-30-2009 at 07:39 PM

And most important the panel of dignitaries who graced the event.

fdt - 5-30-2009 at 08:29 PM

What a great event. It was great to see several nomads there, Cyndarouh and Lance, SDRonni and husband (sorry I forgot nice gentelmans name), jeans, Udo and wife Jana, Bob H, Graham and Bonni. I was told that David K was there and also dtbushpilot and BajaGeoff but I missed them. I'm sure many others were there but it was a big crowd and of course Simone (Mrs FDT) and Junior nomad Sofia were also there and a lot of mexicans I know :rolleyes:
It was overcast all day long and I now know why, Overcast was there (who told him he could go?) :lol:
Lots of beer and wine and food for everyone and all for free. I had a lot of fun with Udo chasing down all of the mayors and the governor for a picture, I'm sure he will be posting them. Turns out governor Osuna thought Udo was a gringo, He has to tell you the story.
Thanks to CANIRAC (the restaurants association) for putting on this great event and of course the great help they had from the secretary of tourism.

jeans - 5-30-2009 at 09:23 PM

Fun, fun FUN! I will get pics up tomorrow, but I ran into Hugh & Carol Kramer from Discover Baja Travel Club...they've moved their offices to UTC area of San Diego. Then I ran into Celia Diaz of Binational Emergency Medical Care Committee. She had arranged my mother's Coast Guard rescue from Gonzaga a few years ago. She is a sweet woman whose non-profit agency has helped hundreds of injured or ill
Americans make it back home. (For a $30 Membership). She then introduced me to Hugo Torres!

Then I saw MexicoTed (Donovan) who is promoting Baja Expos as far away as Chicago. I guess the government has loosened some money for promotion.

Udo & Janna Winkler were delightful...I didn't get a chance to talk to SDronnie.

Graham & Bonni were the first I met there, (watch for our pic in La Frontera) but I did not find the largest group of Nomads until I got to the Tecate booth.:lol: (Mr. & Mrs. DK, BajaGeoff and Mr. & Mrs. UdoWinkler)

FDT managed to get photo ops for Udo, who wanted to meet all the bigwigs.

The drizzle had stopped by noon and it was comfortable up until late afternoon when the wind came up...

I was telling UDO & Janna about the parties we used to have on both sides of the border....sure do miss them!

BajaWarrior - 5-30-2009 at 09:29 PM

We got there about 1:45 and did some food, beer and wine tasting and that was about it. We did see Geoff and Jennifer but they looked pretty busy so we just kept walking. We also ran into David K and Elizabeth and her daughter.

The weather was overcast although it was warm as the wind was very light for being on the bay. The food was really good, we sampled some delicious seafood including Ceviche Scallops, all very tasty.

Bajagypsy - 5-31-2009 at 08:27 AM

sounds like alot of fun, wishwe lived closer so that we could have attendend.

PHOTOS from Saturday's big event!

David K - 5-31-2009 at 08:42 AM

Baja Angel's daughter Amber joined us for a very fun afternoon near SeaPort Village... The weather was over-cast/ cloudy, but was dry and not too cold for the time we were there (1:00pm to 4:30pm).

It was great seeing and meeting Nomads, too...

The wine and beer samples were generous, but when we got near the food samples... the lines were a kilometer long! That's okay, we know how good the food in Baja is, already!

We hoped to party with Ferna, but everyone said he was still in Tijuana when we got there... When he did arrive late, we couldn't find him... The event has to be labled a huge success by the size of the tunout!!!

Graham and Bonni Mackintosh were the first amigos we bumped into and photographed.

Wine and wine dipping syrup, which was yummy!

BajaSol and Von

BajaSol (Mike) has produced a wonderful video about Baja and hopes to produce a TV show about Baja!

This is a new beer from Mexicali.

Tecate Beer was well represented!

Jennifer and BajaGeoff of BajaBound.com... a major sponsor of Baja Nomad Forums and a great Insurance for Baja bound travelers... here with Baja Nomad 'jeans'.

Udo and Janna join in the photo!

Janna & Udo Winkler join Graham and Bonni Mackintosh here.

More Photos Coming...

A BIG TURNOUT! (Part 2 Photos)

David K - 5-31-2009 at 09:04 AM

Amber, Mexico Ted, Baja Angel

David K and Mexico Ted

David K, Mexico Ted, Baja Sol

Hugh and Carol Kramer of the Discover Baja Travel Club

We got to meet David 'dtbushpilot', and his wife Jill and their doggie cacahuete (peanut)... dt spotted me and came right over and introduced himself... That's the way to do it... Nomads meeting in person!

Can you say LOBSTER?

San Diego mayor, Jerry Sanders was enjoying the day, as well!

Chuck 'Baja Warrior' and his wife Chris enjoyed the day as much as the rest of us!

Anytime a Baja event is announced, I highly recommend you try and come to it!

Until next time, have fun and live life!

[Edited on 5-31-2009 by David K]

Von - 5-31-2009 at 11:57 AM

Really cool David! Wish everyone would of been able to make it.

Everything was free couldnt believe it! I really liked the Cucapa Beer it was just like Negro Modelo.

I loved the black mussle soup it was delicous.

They had all you can eat pure Guacamole no plates but you could put

all you wanted on the chips.

Udo - 5-31-2009 at 01:51 PM

I think my post is a bit too long. I have written two separate posts on our experience at the Baja By The Sea with all the Nomads, but none showed up so far. I've been writing since 10:30 this morning.
Hopefully this will come through...a test!

Udo - 5-31-2009 at 03:17 PM

[Let's how this cut & paste works out]
This time I am saving this in Word and copy & paste it to the board. It’s a lot of work to write two long previous posts and a post a bunch of photos, and click on the post button and nothing comes out.
After leaving the Baja by the Sea Expo last evening we went to the midnight showing (the only one available) of STAR TREK and did not get home until 3 a.m. The picture was better the second time around in IMAX. I highly recommend it.

I know that we have had several posts so far on the subject, but would like to share my wife Jana’s and mine views.
Our primary objective was to visit with Nomads at the gathering, but the members did not start showing up until after one, and food was being served at about 1:15 pm. We are the type to open and close the party so we showed up at 11:00 a.m. Some of the booths were still setting up, but there were some munchies already available at some booths. We tried a sardine pate (sounds terrible until you taste it). YUMMO! We also tried the choros and choro chowder. Also a great find. The guacamole booth was also starting early. I am guessing that they brought the guacamole from Mexico, because whole avocados are not permitted.
We stood in line at several booths that included lobster burritos, marlin burritos, pizza, sushi (three booths), fish tacos, ceviche, caracol ensalada, paella that was more like a gumbo, Carne asada, varietal cheeses, about 8 different wines, wine syrup, and varietal olive oils. Did I mention a WHOLE fish taco per person? There were also about 8 other burrito booths, plus some chimichanga burritos, and five booths of beer, plus Los Remedios Restaurante Bar and Cantina in TJ was giving away margaritas. Many hotels were giving away 20% discount coupons, including the El Cortez in San Felipe.
After our feeding frenzy we went in search of Nomads expecting them to proudly wear their Baja Nomads shirts. Only David and I wore our shirts. Although DTbushpilot, and his lovely wife Jill who was cuddling Cacahuete, tapped my on my shoulder and immediately introduced himself. Great people! Then we mozied some more and found a large gathering of Nomads (where else?) at the Tecate beer booth. There were David K, Elizabeth and her daughter Amber, Baja Sol, Von and Bob H, Then along came Graham Macintosh and his wife Bonni. Great get-together. It was as if we were long time friends and hadn’t seen each other in years. Then about three p.m. Fernando with his daughter in tow and his sexy wife Simone show up. What a great person. I figured he knew all of the dignitaries that were there so I asked him to introduce me. The Governor of Baja was on his way out to his armor plated SUV so we had to run to catch up with his entourage. Fortunately he stopped for another interview and I managed to speak with him for a few moments. He was all smiles and gleeful that a Gringo came over to see him, but there was a look of disappointment in his face when I spoke to him in perfect Spanish and he uttered that he thought I was a gringo and I end up being a local from Baja. Jana, Jean, and Fernando really got a kick out of the Governor’s comments.
And thanks to Fernando I managed to get my photo taken with several Mayors.
In all it was a great experience. There were probably a few thousand in attendance with a 50/50 split between San Diegans and Spanish speaking people. In the parking lots, there was a large contingent of Baja license plates.
I feel this was a great success for the Baja tourism board. And even tough we were in the U.S., the aromas, music, and Spanish language, really made one feel that we were south of the border.
I think I’ll post only three photos at a time. It’s a lot of work to do this and then post and nothing happens.
Udo & Jana

Here are two of the 8 kilo lobsters that the Lobster House from Puerto Nuevo brought over.

The veggie booth from the Ensenada region:

The excellent carne asada served.

About a 30 kilo tuna display from the tuna pens between Ensenada and El Mirador

Udo - 5-31-2009 at 03:27 PM

Amazing when you press the right buttons!

The paella from the Lobster House in Puerto Nuevo

Hugo Torres (Mayor of Rosarito) and the Secretary of Baja Tourism, cook burritos for the crowd.

Fernando, Simone, their cute dughter, my wife and me, with xolo the mascot from the Tijuana national soccer tieam.

The Mayor of Tecate, myself, and the secretary of tourism discuss the short border waits at Tecate plus the famous bakery across from the park in Tecate.

Pops - 5-31-2009 at 03:34 PM

choros ???? choro chowder ????:rolleyes:

Udo - 5-31-2009 at 03:35 PM

Last of my photos, and six hours after my first try.

Mayor Torres and I discuss the breathtaking beaches in Rosarito

Baja's Governor, Mr Milan, and I share a laugh. You should have seen his body guards when I walked up!

Ensenada's Mayor and I discuss the tourist trade and cruise business

[Edited on 5-31-2009 by udowinkler]

DENNIS - 5-31-2009 at 04:19 PM

WOW....If this is going to be an annual event, I'll bet next year it'll get a lot more much deserved respect. Sorry I missed it.
Did anyone mention Baja/Med or is that something you're supposed to discern yourself?

Oh yeah...one more thing...Are those lobsters in season now or are they stuffed table decorations?

Udo - 5-31-2009 at 04:26 PM

I touched them, Dennis, they were real. As you can see, however, they had been cooked. They even brought a third one for the paella gumbo.
They were not on ice, therefore they were trash after the event. Shame.

Udo - 5-31-2009 at 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Pops
choros ???? choro chowder ????:rolleyes:

Choros are the coastal mussels available on most of the west coast of Baja. The choro bisque was a take on lobster bisque. I was really delicious.
They are a world different from the New Zeland mussels we see in the U.S. The flavor is much softer in the Baja choros.

DENNIS - 5-31-2009 at 04:35 PM

Quote:
I touched them, Dennis, they were real. As you can see, however, they had been cooked. They even brought a third one for the paella gumbo.

Kind of wasteful, for sure. Three bucks worth of ice would have saved them from the trash can. I'll let someone else make a political statement about this. I'm not in the mood.

David K - 5-31-2009 at 09:15 PM

Udo... wow, what a great reporter you are! Glad you got to touch all the important items from Baja... including the governor!

Thanks for your take on yesterday's BIG event!!!

Udo - 5-31-2009 at 09:50 PM

Thanks David. It was soooo nice to meet Elizabeth finally! You two are great people to hang around with.
Jean was great also, but she liked hanging around the margarita booth, which my wife liked too!

David K - 5-31-2009 at 10:00 PM

Thank you Udo...

Perhaps a Baja-isk fiesta here sometime? I have the Baja-theme movies and a keg of Tecate in the kegerator to share!

Hope to visit with you and la esposa Jana, mas en la futura!:D

[Edited on 6-1-2009 by David K]

Bajaboy - 5-31-2009 at 10:02 PM

We made our way to Seaport Village to find all the parking lots full. We pulled the plug and decided to go for a long walk up at Balboa Park and Hillcrest.

Next time-

David K - 5-31-2009 at 10:14 PM

It was quite an event Zac... perhaps too crowded for most of us... but the free beer and wine flowed without delay! We arrived at 1:00pm and the lot was very full... but just cruised slowly and people were leaving constantly, opening up parking spots. It is like fishing, just be patient... Sorry we missed you... Haven't seen you and Tracy (or the baby) in a while!

Did you run in the Rock 'n Roll marathon today?

fdt - 5-31-2009 at 10:46 PM

Quote:

I am quite positive that they were not trash, they were used for the burritos along with many others they brought, those 2 were hollow and the Paella I would not not compare it to gumbo (a soup) but if we need to look for a similarity it would be more like Jambalaya (Simones step dad has a Cajun party once a year).

docsmom - 6-1-2009 at 08:40 AM

We were there, but way too early. We were in San Diego only for the day and our schedule brought us to Seaport Village about 10am. We knew we were too early so we wandered the village for a while and took our first run through the event about 11:30, just to see what was happening. Not much at that time. We made about 3 cruises through the event, last one about 1:00, still not much happening. We were amused by the fact that the truck bringing lots of the food supplies arrived at the event about noon! That's when the light bulb went off and we realized that a Baja event would naturally be happening on Baja time:biggrin::biggrin:
We were so hoping to meet some Nomads, and now that I see the pix posted I realize we shadowed Udo and Jana for quite a while (Udo, we couldn't see your Baja Nomad logo underneath your yellow windbreaker....) and even chatted offhand with them. Saw Hugh & Carol sitting on a bench.
It sounds like the party got started about 1:30 and I wish we'd taken one more run at it. But we were tired and wet and cold and decided to head north to Pacific Beach where we knew we could have a bowl of clam chowder (not the best) at the Green Flash, I could put my ocean deprived tootsies in the Pacific, and walk the Crystal Pier (my favorite place north of the border!).
I'm glad you all had a wonderful time and like Dennis I say please encourage one next year.
(Udo, sent you a U2U)

Bob H - 6-1-2009 at 11:09 AM

I arrived around 3:30pm with a couple of friends of mine. It was just a fantastic event! The Tecate beer was flowing quickly and you could just stand around their tent and have your fair share. Then the food lines. Not too bad - some booths were beginning to run out of food around 5pm. TJ beer had plenty, and after four or five times in line the small sample cup was upgraded to a 12-oz cup! Those guys know how to market their beer! I could not believe how much food was being served. After waiting in the first line - you take your plate and eat your food while standing in another line. And, on and on and on you go!

Does anyone know if this is going to be an annual event? I surely hope it helps boost tourism in Baja!

It was nice to see Ferna and his wife again and meet Udo - but, missed everyone else. It was pretty crowded. I'd like to go back again.

Bob H

[Edited on 6-1-2009 by Bob H]

SDRonni - 6-1-2009 at 12:00 PM

What a nice event! I was surprised there were so many there, considering the weather. Yes, parking was at a premium. It was nice to see Ferna again, and to meet Jeans, Udo and Jana. Being there, with all the food, sights, sounds and smells, really made me want to go back down to Baja. We haven't been in a while..........must remedy that! Did get a chance to talk to Mayor Torres, who told me that the convention center going up just north of Rosarito will be completed in a year. Is that realistic???? (don't laugh at me!)

Woooosh - 6-1-2009 at 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by SDRonni
What a nice event! I was surprised there were so many there, considering the weather. Yes, parking was at a premium. It was nice to see Ferna again, and to meet Jeans, Udo and Jana. Being there, with all the food, sights, sounds and smells, really made me want to go back down to Baja. We haven't been in a while..........must remedy that! Did get a chance to talk to Mayor Torres, who told me that the convention center going up just north of Rosarito will be completed in a year. Is that realistic???? (don't laugh at me!)

Realistic to build it in a year or fill it with conventioneers? My observation is that when Meixco needs to do someting fast- it can. Most US companies wouldn't consider an out-of-country convention for liability reasons. Considering his is the biggest hotel owner in the area- he would personally benefit of course. And he would need to get it all done before the next election- because every election seems to reset the time and money clock on all projects.

jeans - 6-1-2009 at 01:51 PM

Quote:
jeans was great also, but she liked hanging around the margarita booth, which my wife liked too!

Hey....no fair...they just kept coming by with the tray, I helped to lighten his load! :saint:

The poor guy never made it out very far before getting mobbed.

BajaGeoff - 6-1-2009 at 02:16 PM

Great seeing everyone on Saturday. The event was a lot of fun and well put together. Only setback seemed to be the parking, which was difficult.

Udo - 6-1-2009 at 05:21 PM

Quote:
Thank you Udo...

Perhaps a Baja-isk fiesta here sometime? I have the Baja-theme movies and a keg of Tecate in the kegerator to share!

I'll make things easier for a lot of people...if we have a Baja-isk fiesta, I promise to do some or most of the cooking. I have enough "stuff" to feed 500. All we need are a few tables.

DENNIS - 6-1-2009 at 06:02 PM

Quote:
I'll make things easier for a lot of people...if we have a Baja-isk fiesta, I promise to do some or most of the cooking. I have enough "stuff" to feed 500. All we need are a few tables.

Let's have it at Whoooooosh's house. It'll only take a couple of months to drain the moat, disarm the Claymores, de-fang the wolves, steralize the hostesses, cap the lazers, cleanse the air, shoot the neighbors and otherwise tidy up the place for company. The perfect venue.

Just kiddin', Whoooosh. You're one of my favorite people here, for sure.

Yayy! More Baja Parties

Gypsy Jan - 6-1-2009 at 06:52 PM

The good vibes will chase out the bad history (well, at least I am hoping).

Pops - 6-1-2009 at 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Gypsy Jan
The good vibes will chase out the bad history (well, at least I am hoping).

Bad history ???

What am I missing ??:?:

Pops - 6-1-2009 at 07:02 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Thank you Udo...

What happened to DK's post ??? :?:

Woooosh - 6-1-2009 at 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
Quote:

Let's have it at Whoooooosh's house. It'll only take a couple of months to drain the moat, disarm the Claymores, de-fang the wolves, steralize the hostesses, cap the lazers, cleanse the air, shoot the neighbors and otherwise tidy up the place for company. The perfect venue.

Just kiddin', Whoooosh. You're one of my favorite people here, for sure.

No offense taken of course. My falcons always need fresh road-kill to feast on Senor Sinned. It does have a tinge of truth though- all the neighbors laughed and thought a prison was going in when my house was being built. They think I'm a genius now though.

David K - 6-1-2009 at 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Pops
Quote:
Quote:
Thank you Udo...

What happened to DK's post ??? :?:

Mike, nothing's missing that I posted in this thread (that I can see)???

Graham - 6-2-2009 at 12:19 AM

To digress to answer CaptMike’s question [page 2 of this topic]. Scotch whisky! A subject close to my heart. Yet I’m definitely no connoisseur… not of any spirits. [e.g. At my last blind tequila tasting, at the Pyramid Resort, I enthusiastically voted for the cheapest Tequila!]

But in the early 1980s I took part in a charity event in Scotland which involved stopping at most of the distilleries, collecting bottles of their best to auction and raffle to raise money for disadvantaged kids. Invariably, we did the tour and sampled the products.

All those malts tasted great to me… but I recall especially liking Glenmorangie. Might have been because I bought a bottle to take to my dear old Highland dad, and shared it with him while I spent many happy and fascinating hours recording his experiences in WW2. We drank it with just a little water. The association and circumstance probably counted as much as the quality of the whisky.

Likewise, when I was walking around the coast of Baja and found a bottle of Japanese whisky on Malarrimo Beach, it warmed me by many a campfire, and not surprisingly, no malt whisky ever tasted better.

And when I was on Guardian Angel Island and a minikeg of Heineken was dropped to me by parachute, it seemed the best beer in the world. Even warm Milwaukee’s Worst would have been very welcome in the circumstances. Guess I’m easy.

But without a doubt the Baja beer and wines on Saturday were perfect for washing down all that truly delicious seafood, wonderful cheeses, etc. And my fondest memory – After finishing a plate of that yummy “farmed” tuna, I was looking for a place to put plate in trash when someone breezed by, took the plate and placed a margarita in my hand. Baja was doing itself proud!

fishbuck - 6-2-2009 at 03:31 AM

As I recall, it was fairly unanimous that the "cheap" tequila was best at the Book Sighing/Tequila tasting Pyrimid party. But my memory is a little foggy on that one.
Man, I wish I was there with you guys!
Any photos?

capt. mike - 6-2-2009 at 05:52 AM

thx Graham!
i'll get some and try it. the Glen morangie that is.

Udo - 6-2-2009 at 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by fishbuck
As I recall, it was fairly unanimous that the "cheap" tequila was best at the Book Sighing/Tequila tasting Pyrimid party.

EL CHARRO My favorite cheap tequila.

David K - 6-2-2009 at 11:28 AM

Quote:
As I recall, it was fairly unanimous that the "cheap" tequila was best at the Book Sighing/Tequila tasting Pyrimid party. But my memory is a little foggy on that one.
Any photos?

You mean 'any MORE photos'?

fishbuck - 6-2-2009 at 05:50 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Any photos?

You mean 'any MORE photos'?

Okay, I found the photos. Looks like it was fun!

David K - 5-2-2010 at 10:25 AM

bump for Bob H and others to preview the event which is returning May 29... 2010

Mexicorn - 5-2-2010 at 11:37 AM

Whats the cost of the event?

David K - 5-2-2010 at 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Mexicorn
Whats the cost of the event?

The event is / was free... but you don't have any repect for anything I say :lol:

comitan - 5-2-2010 at 01:03 PM

DK

You have my repect, you mean it free to spend a ton of money on junk food, and drinks.:lol::yes::lol::yes:

David K - 5-2-2010 at 03:16 PM

I don't consider sea food and other prepared dishes 'junk food', do you? The food and drinks (beer mostly) we had last year were all free... As I didn't want to stand in the long lines, I didn't have much... Ask Udo about the food... and anyone know what happened to Ferna?

Udo - 5-2-2010 at 03:57 PM

You have to get to the event somewhat early, around opening time if you can.
If my past experience is any indication, we need to get there waaayy before the lunch crowd shows up, which was about 11:15 or so.
There should be several "TEQUILA TROUBARORES" that will have shooter tastings (that's why I'm there!).
Last year`there were about 25 food booths, a lot of hotel discounts booths, winery, and beer booths. All from places around Baja. Really was a lot of fun. Really was a lot of fun to meet Nomads for the first time.
The other fun parts will be meeting the Mayors of Northern Baja as well as the Governor.

David:
I have not seen or heard from Fernando since last year's Tequila Expo in TJ. Neither of his cell numbers (US & Mexico) are not working.
I know that David and Lizabeth won't be there because they'll be at Mission Santa Maria 4X4ing.

comitan - 5-2-2010 at 04:02 PM

DK

No if that's what they have I repect what you say because you have been there.:tumble:

BAJACAT - 5-2-2010 at 05:18 PM

FERNA, when missing right after the 2009 DIA DE REYES, he never posted pictures or the video from the event, he never call me or try to contact me, don't know what happen.. Maybe Doug knows what happen to him, he was closer to him than me...

Bob H - 5-3-2010 at 08:08 AM

I'm going to try and make it there again this year. I arrived around 3pm and still had plenty of free beer and wine and food. Lines were not as long and they didn't start to run out of stuff for about 1-1/2 hours.

This year's details:

http://www.discoverbajacalifornia.com/print-news.php?id=224

Bob H

BajaNomad - 5-3-2010 at 10:22 AM

Quote:
anyone know what happened to Ferna?

I'm uncertain. Just before the Dia de Reyes event, he took on substantial responsibilities at a Rosarito business. Possibly that's been taking significant time for him?

Udo - 5-5-2010 at 07:40 PM

Try and make it a little earlier this year, Bob.
My wife and I should be there by opening time, or a little earlier. I need to visit the kite shop at the embarcadero.

Quote:
Originally posted by Bob H

This year's details:

http://www.discoverbajacalifornia.com/print-news.php?id=224

Bob H

ps. Muchas gracias for the link, Bob...this a great place for all Nomads to visit!:bounce:
You can't beat the price.....................................

Everything's FREE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:spingrin::smug:

David K - 5-6-2010 at 08:07 AM

Well, you guys have fun... If you get the new FJ before, think about coming down and doing the Mision Santa Maria run on that day!

Udo - 5-6-2010 at 06:47 PM

IF Jana's new Sun Fusion Yellow arrives before the end of this month, David, at the very least I will take a whirlwind run to meet up with you after the BAJA BY THE SEA visit in San Diego.
I hate to not show up for free tequila, beer, wine, as well as food.
This is better than when we shop at the (Calimax), (Soriana's) and (Ley's), and there is a chick at the alcohol isle and is offering free tequila shots. My friends still have a difficult time believing that story until I show them the photos on my Iphone.
This event should be on the list of every Nomad's "can't miss event".

[Edited on 5-7-2010 by udowinkler]

David K - 5-6-2010 at 09:55 PM

Quote:
IF Jana's new Sun Fusion Yellow arrives before the end of this month, David, at the very least I will take a whirlwind run to meet up with you after the BAJA BY THE SEA visit in San Diego.
I hate to not show up for free tequila, beer, wine, as well as food.
This is better than when we shop at the (Calimax), (Soriana's) and (Ley's), and there is a chick at the alcohol isle and is offering free tequila shots. My friends still have a difficult time believing that story until I show them the photos on my Iphone.
This event should be on the list of every Nomad's "can't miss event".

[Edited on 5-7-2010 by udowinkler]

Mexico is awesome at showing how much life can be enjoyed WITHOUT government running every part of our lives!

I hope to see your new yellow FJ Cruiser on the trail soon!

Udo - 5-8-2010 at 10:44 AM

This is one BAJA Showing where the government (Mayors and Governor) are part of the festivities, but as an invited integral part of the festivities, not as a government run event. :yes:

David K - 1-17-2023 at 10:21 AM

Fun looking back on this event that many Nomads attended...

Sadly, photos attached were lost when Nomad did a reboot. However, photos linked to photo hosting sites, like Photobucket in this case, were preserved (with their watermark added to the once free accounts, hoping you will pay)! We use PostImages.org now.

Anyway, a look back 13 years to a fun gathering. Keep an eye out for the details for the 2023 Baja Expo, coming this March.