BajaNomad

can anyone verify this?

woody with a view - 5-25-2009 at 05:21 PM

: Just heard from a friend living at laguna manuela that carmelita died from
: stomach cancef in villa jesus maria last week

http://math.ucr.edu/ftm/bajaPages/MsgBoard/messages/1456.htm...

it'll be a sad day.....:saint:

Carmelita, a lovely lady.

Mulegena - 5-25-2009 at 05:24 PM

David K - 5-29-2009 at 04:00 PM

This is sad news!

Vaya Con Dios Carmelita!

nomad 039.jpg - 49kB

Bajahowodd - 5-29-2009 at 04:28 PM

Was this the lovely lady in the restaurant next to the Pemex?

[Edited on 5-29-2009 by Bajahowodd]

David K - 5-29-2009 at 04:32 PM

Carmelita sold tamales out of her van at the Villa Jesus Maria Pemex for many years and later built a small cafe next to her van... The Tamale Lady of Jesus Maria...

Bajahowodd - 5-29-2009 at 04:36 PM

Vaya con Dios.

Frank - 5-29-2009 at 05:21 PM

She will be missed. Last time through her son was working the cafe.

Confirmation?

Mulegena - 5-29-2009 at 05:38 PM

Can anyone confirm this?

She's a wonderful lady. When I went through in late March her place was closed.

Can someone please ask and report here, please?

toneart - 5-29-2009 at 08:59 PM

The restaurant had a "For Sale" sign on it when I passed through on May 12. If confirmed, Roger will certainly be sad. Carmelita is one of his favorites.

carmelita

BajaDanD - 5-29-2009 at 09:43 PM

We were there in Feb.
We always stop there comming and going. Its tradition.

To this day every time I eat a tamale I compare it to hers
What a sad day for all. She was a true Baja legend

woody with a view - 5-30-2009 at 06:10 AM

Carmelita

she once told my wife and i how much see loved all "her boys" in regards to the baja 1000 crew, surfers and fishermen. she said with a HUGE smile and great emphasis that, "without her boys, her life would not have been what it was!"

GRACIAS AMIGA!!!!

:saint:RIP:saint:

la famosa.jpg - 44kB

David K - 5-30-2009 at 07:12 AM

We stopped there for tamales in July, 2007... I took this photo of her fridge as someone else had earlier added a 'got baja?' sticker to it!

Carmelita wasn't there when we ordered, but arrived before we left and gave us all warm greetings and hugs like we were old friends! I had bought tamales from her only once before, in December, 2001... which was the last time I traveled that far south.

Carmelita was a warm, wonderful lady... and will be greatly missed!

dtbushpilot - 5-30-2009 at 07:20 AM

Always a favorite stop.........dt

Joelt - 6-1-2009 at 03:01 AM

I was there on the 28 of May and it was open and the tamales were outstanding. I haven't seen her there the last couple of times through. There has been very nice guy working the last 2 times I was there.

bajalera - 6-1-2009 at 08:14 AM

Carmelita was a Baja California icon, and will really be missed.

Bob H - 8-2-2009 at 04:48 PM

I missed this thread... how sad. She was a wonderful lady with a bright smile and loved to wear red!

She will be sorely missed! Bob H

Curt63 - 8-2-2009 at 10:25 PM

I was there in early June and her son said she had passed away 3 weeks prior.

Great Lady and great food. I'll miss her.

vacaenbaja - 8-2-2009 at 11:16 PM

Yes Carmelita has left us. I too stopped by in mid June to
be told the sad news. She was a wonderful person and quite a singer. She would love to sing to us a corrido that
told of her life. I remember when she used to park her truck at the old Pemex close to some scraggly trees that looked very out of place.

OH NO!

Sharksbaja - 8-3-2009 at 12:11 AM

I missed this as well!
She embodied the "Bienvenidos" of Baja for me since the road opened up thru there, there she was, day in and day out handing tamales to the travelers. I can't count the times I have stopped to enjoy her hospitality and good offerings.

I send my blessings to her family aand all the rest, who are many.

Will never forget that genuine smile..... Vaya con dias mi amiga....:yes:

Carmelita.jpg - 43kB

David K - 8-3-2009 at 08:50 AM

I think the reason it was missed by so many, is the title of the thread: "can anyone verify this?"

Perhaps if it also mentioned "Carmelita, the Tamale Lady" it would get more notice?

[Edited on 8-3-2009 by David K]

bajaboolie - 8-3-2009 at 01:35 PM

Yes, very sad indeed...I had missed this thread too. Our drive down isn't complete unless we stop there. Hope they continue to carry on the torch....

bacquito - 8-3-2009 at 08:24 PM

I did not know her but it is apparent that many Nomads did. Vaya con Dios and my regrets to her family.

Cardon Man - 8-4-2009 at 11:47 AM

That is sad news indeed. Her tamales were a mandatory stop on all of my trips down the peninsula. She was one of those great Baja characters and will be missed by many.

msawin - 8-5-2009 at 04:55 PM

I did not know either and I have to say that we did stop by
for tamales / buritoes last July 17th heading south.
They were great as always but maybe made by the grand dauhgters who had learned from the best.. R>I>P>

martin-o

BajaGringo - 8-5-2009 at 04:57 PM

QEPD

Bajahowodd - 8-5-2009 at 05:02 PM

The Jesus Maria Pemex was always on our itinerary, just because of her. I can only hope that her tradition will be carried on.

Pompano - 8-12-2009 at 08:50 AM

(First, gracias to a caring nomad for U2Uing this thread about Carmelita.)

Damn, the Baja Road just got a little lonelier. It's getting tougher and tougher to say goodbye. Now Carmelita..one more Baja icon and fine friend.

I'll always remember your smiling '' Tres por el camino?" after you got used to my 3-to-go order. Best tasting burritos I ever ate, but they were more than that....I always thought of Baja starting close to her van.

You are loved and missed by many. Vaya con Dios, longtime amiga.