BajaNomad

Pacific Side Sea Kayaking

seayak - 5-26-2009 at 11:06 PM

Intro...

I'm in the planing phase of sea kayaking the Pacific side of Baja from San Diego to Cabo. Trying to figure my trip window based on prevailing winds. Late summer works for me, what direction would the winds be pushing?

On a side note, June of 08' I paddled from Crescent City, Ca; south to Mission Bay, San Diego. I covered 1321 miles of coastline, so I have some experience in the surf, and with expedition planing.

Thanks for any input,

Jerry Sparks

PST

redhilltown - 5-26-2009 at 11:35 PM

I have fished my fair share out of Punta Santo Tomas and it seems the winds usually kick up in the afternoon to some pretty nasty swells. Winds usually from the north or northwest...the bay is protected to those winds so you have a safe harbor but if from the south, all bets are off and I think the local pangeros even pull their boats out of the bay...you mentioned late summer which would be hurricane season further south. Once there, Sam Saenz runs the Puerto Santo Tomas resort and you can camp at his place or rent a cabin. If you speak Spanish you can talk to the local urchin/sea cucumber divers (or fishing guide Marcos) to get a good heads up on what awaits you further south. Have a blast!

fishbuck - 5-27-2009 at 02:13 AM

Early mid summer to early mid fall.
The problem is getting to Cabo in peak hurrican season. Big swells. Starting in about September October.
So leave San Diego no later than July 15. Pull your boat out in Cabo no later than Oct. 1.
You can't do better.
How long will it take? What kind of kayak will you use.

I believe it is generally a "down hill" run the whole way as far as wind goes.
I think the conventional wisdom is that it's much easier to sail to Cabo from San Diego than it is to sail back.
Think Newport to Ensenada race.

[Edited on 5-27-2009 by fishbuck]

Bob and Susan - 5-27-2009 at 05:47 AM

i always wonder when people say
it's "uphill" from ensenada to san diego...

isn't sea level actually "sea level":?::?:

BajaGringo - 5-27-2009 at 06:46 AM

It "feels" like it's uphill...

shari - 5-27-2009 at 07:33 AM

Hi Jerry and welcome to Nomadlandia! We have a good pal who kayaked here to Bahia Asuncion from Rosarito and had a fantastic time. I lent him our kayak sail and he used it alot and he highly recommended one for anyone kayaking down the west coast. He also paddled alot at night when the wind and waves were at a minimum and the paddling was awesome under the stars. He put in at fish camps and had great experiences with them...they fed him, gave him water etc. and good advice...he spoke elementary spanish.

What is most important is time...time to kill when the weather is bad...too windy or time to stay and enjoy your host village. If you do this and want some contact names along the way...we have lots of relatives and amigos in various camps along this coast so email me for that. Make sure you take a radio for emergencies...stop in and see us for a meal and shower!

Great Book

bajagrouper - 5-27-2009 at 12:50 PM

Hola, In 1985 a 31 year old woman and a 60 year old man did a trip simular to what you want to do...They did a shakedown trip from Washington to San Diego...Then continued not only to Cabo but all the way up the gulf side ending in Yuma AZ. In 1986 she wrote a book describing the trip, a good read and it may be helpful for planning your adventure:

Keep it Moving, Baja by canoe
by Valerie Fons

published by The Mountaineers
306 2nd. Avenue West, Seattle,Washington 98119

Even though the title says "Baja by Canoe" they traveled by sea kayaks...Good luck and have a wonderful trip...

[Edited on 5-27-2009 by bajagrouper]

seayak - 5-27-2009 at 01:44 PM

Man You guys are awesome, and thanks...

Based on what I've paddled in the past, I manage to average 22 miles per day through Northern California. However, I battled weeks of small craft advisory, gale warnings, and hazardous seas. Through central and southern cal I did better at 25 to 30 miles per day.

As far as a time frame, I would like to leave at the end of June 2010, and hope that I can finish withing 6 weeks of my start. However, once underway I'm committed; so I'll finish when I finish.

In the past I've paddle a Prijon Kodiak; 17ft high volume seakayak. But for the last year I've been paddling a Necky Chatham 17; 17ft (low volume rough water). Based on some of the charts I'm looking at, I would like to select a craft that will hold enough supplies to keep me unsupported for at least 4 weeks, but allow me to get supplies when they are available.

Lastly for the next 12 months I'll continue to research the route, condition physically, and wait for my window.;)

DanO - 5-27-2009 at 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by redhilltown
I have fished my fair share out of Punta Santo Tomas and it seems the winds usually kick up in the afternoon to some pretty nasty swells. Winds usually from the north or northwest...the bay is protected to those winds so you have a safe harbor but if from the south, all bets are off and I think the local pangeros even pull their boats out of the bay...you mentioned late summer which would be hurricane season further south. Once there, Sam Saenz runs the Puerto Santo Tomas resort and you can camp at his place or rent a cabin. If you speak Spanish you can talk to the local urchin/sea cucumber divers (or fishing guide Marcos) to get a good heads up on what awaits you further south. Have a blast!

Correct, prevailing north to northwest wind really howls in the PST/La Bocana area in late summer. Every once in a while you may get an easterly blowing out of the Santo Tomas valley. Puerto Santo Tomas has a new boat ramp and is completely protected from everything but a large southerly swell (rare in summer).

You may run into a sea kayak tour group in that area. They run a tour that puts out in the Punta Banda/La Bufadora area and paddles south past PST and La Bocana. My guess is that they pull out in the Erendira area. I've also seen a group of university students use the beach La Bocana as a put in and pickup spot, but it can get ugly there if the swell is up.

seayak - 5-27-2009 at 06:16 PM

I have a few books that I've read about Baja in reference to paddling. So far this is the list...

"Keep it moving"

"We Survived Yesterday"

"Enchanted Vagabonds"

woody with a view - 5-27-2009 at 06:25 PM

hey yakster

over the next year you will find all of the information (and more) that you can ever hope for, right here. like shari said, u2u me for a list of names of locals that will be stoked to share what they have when you haul out for the day.....

if you survived the central cali coast, even a large hurricane swell will seem like paradise, until you try to make the beach.

good on ya, brah!

mtgoat666 - 5-27-2009 at 07:23 PM

You might get some tips from Abraham Levy. Met him in 2008 when he was kayaking solo entire coast of baja (part of his circumnavigation of entire coast of Mexico by kayak). You can probably reach him thru his website at http://www.abrahamlevy.com/

seayak - 5-27-2009 at 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by mtgoat666
You might get some tips from Abraham Levy. Met him in 2008 when he was kayaking solo entire coast of baja (part of his circumnavigation of entire coast of Mexico by kayak). You can probably reach him thru his website at http://www.abrahamlevy.com/

Followed some of his trip, HUGE undertaking.

Thanks...

seayak - 5-27-2009 at 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by woody in ob
hey yakster

over the next year you will find all of the information (and more) that you can ever hope for, right here. like shari said, u2u me for a list of names of locals that will be stoked to share what they have when you haul out for the day.....

if you survived the central cali coast, even a large hurricane swell will seem like paradise, until you try to make the beach.

good on ya, brah!

Thanks, I can't even think of how the California tour would have gone if I hadn't the support of random surfers and fishermen. The info on this board just keeps getting better.:spingrin:

jahImpala3 - 5-28-2009 at 07:30 AM

I knew you would get some good responses here Jerry:yes:
I'll start looking at various weather stations down the coast and check out the history for more data concerning winds.
-Eric

jahImpala3 - 5-28-2009 at 08:05 AM

Try this link if it works for surf and wind forecasts.

http://www.weather.com/outlook/recreation/boatandbeach/surf/...

seayak - 5-28-2009 at 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by jahImpala3
I knew you would get some good responses here Jerry:yes:
I'll start looking at various weather stations down the coast and check out the history for more data concerning winds.
-Eric

If you weren't on here already, I was going to have to get you to registrar. The amount of seat time in Baja on this board is astounding! The planing is moving forward, so things are looking good.

Jerry

seayak - 5-28-2009 at 10:22 AM

Can anyone make a comparison of big surf breaks in Baja to Northern Cal? Surf landing is the most technical part of coastal tripping...

shari - 5-28-2009 at 10:28 AM

You will find many spots you can put in by looking for the fish camps...they always have a little area where they pull their pangas in sheltered by rocks or a little point or something. They love to get visitors too.

mtgoat666 - 5-28-2009 at 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by seayak
Can anyone make a comparison of big surf breaks in Baja to Northern Cal? Surf landing is the most technical part of coastal tripping...

first time i did sea kayaking was vancouver island west coast. after one rough beach landing, i learned how to travel far to avoid bad beach landing.

generally speaking, on avarege the surf is smaller in baja relative to nor cal, but there are exceptions to that rule, such as hurricanes, southern storms, etc

like nor cal, coastline varies a lot. seems to me that in baja if you have a big surf day you are usually not too far from a point or lagoon entrance where you might find easier access on lee side or inside (fyi, the ebb/flood flow out of lagoon mouths can be quite severe and you will see some wild sand bars and chaotic breaks in front of some of the big lagoons like san ignacio and mag bay. study google earth images and charts and you will see the wide gaps where you wont find cover for reaching beach on a big surf day. if you know you need to traverse a wide gap with no easy beach access, then plan that leg accordingly.

seayak - 5-28-2009 at 12:31 PM

Google Earth is my favorite... As far as trip leg planing your right on, and I will usually increase daily mileage to make sheltered landings. However, with the way things go, I try to lay out alternate landing sites because of weather, fatigue, and the unknown changes that happen while in route. Because of the "x" factor I've been caught off guard in relation to landing on beaches that I figured would have been sheltered. Nothings worse than getting banged up in a surf landing to later realize that the swell has changed direction and is causing the huge sets to form on what was supposed to be nice easy day.:O

seayak - 5-29-2009 at 12:02 AM

Google Earth images show pretty heavy population from the boarder to La Bufadora. Majority of it looks like resorts and commercial properties. Whats protocol for landing? I know state side there are standards in reference to the high water mark. I do plan on staying in hotels when possible, and have considered that I may have too in the busy sections.

redhilltown - 5-29-2009 at 12:13 AM

howdy again. another book for research might be "the baja catch" by gene kira and neil kelly. it is all about small boating and fishing around baja and might fill in some blanks for you...they used boats smaller than your kayak I believe. I also thought of the tuna pens north of ensenada...maybe kayakers go near them all the time and it is no big whoop but I always had this bad feeling it is best to give them a wide berth in case the tuna policia are feeling their oats.

seayak - 5-29-2009 at 12:27 AM

Quote:
howdy again. another book for research might be "the baja catch" by gene kira and neil kelly. it is all about small boating and fishing around baja and might fill in some blanks for you...they used boats smaller than your kayak I believe. I also thought of the tuna pens north of ensenada...maybe kayakers go near them all the time and it is no big whoop but I always had this bad feeling it is best to give them a wide berth in case the tuna policia are feeling their oats.

WoW! The book retails for $137.00, found it used for $40. I may have to suck it up, it looks good.

thanks,

Jerry

seayak - 5-29-2009 at 12:29 AM

Quote:

As I was, found a used copy for $14.00, it's on the way. Thank you again.

Jerry

wilderone - 5-29-2009 at 08:48 AM

"Google Earth images show pretty heavy population from the boarder to La Bufadora. Majority of it looks like resorts and commercial properties. Whats protocol for landing? I know state side there are standards in reference to the high water mark. I do plan on staying in hotels when possible, and have considered that I may have too in the busy sections."

No protocol, no standards. Landing in these populated places would be no problem in most cases. If you're around a larger town, you'll have to arrange some place to keep your yak and gear safe while you're in a hotel. There are a few RV parks on the beach too where you can spend the night and you won't have to leave the beach. Or ask a nearby restaurant owner if you can leave your stuff there while you go elsewhere to a hotel. You should be past this area in 3 days max. Then, past Ensenada, the towns are very small, and not even near the beach, so you won't encounter that problem. In any event, there is usually someone around in a truck or fisherman in a boat who will be happy to accommodate you in any way. I would suggest you take a lot of $5 bills for these folks who will be helping you out with water, a lift into town, watching your stuff, letting you camp on their property, etc.

seayak - 5-30-2009 at 01:13 AM

Sorry in advance for the questions that come to mind...

What are the night time temperature ranges? Have to figure out what I'll be sleeping in.

fishbuck - 5-30-2009 at 01:52 AM

Mid-June it will still be a bit cool at or near San Diego.
I'm in Newport Beach, Ca and it's a bit cool for sleeping on the beach in a sleepng bag now.
I'm glad I'm in my little apartment. I have the window cracked but might close it. And turn on a little heat.
The later in summer the better. Plus you are going south.
But expect damp and cool the whole way. Until it might be hot at night near Cabo.

Hay yak, maybe you could make a little tour out of this. You know, people could meet you along the way for each leg and paddle along with you. And some support vehicles to bring supplies and shuttle people.
I have owned two speed ski kayaks that I have used in the Ocean. I'll do part of it. The warm part where the fishing is good. I'm trolling a lure for sure!

[Edited on 5-30-2009 by fishbuck]

seayak - 5-30-2009 at 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by fishbuck
Mid-June it will still be a bit cool at or near San Diego.
I'm in Newport Beach, Ca and it's a bit cool for sleeping on the beach in a sleepng bag now.
I'm glad I'm in my little apartment. I have the window cracked but might close it. And turn on a little heat.
The later in summer the better. Plus you are going south.
But expect damp and cool the whole way. Until it might be hot at night near Cabo.

Hay yak, maybe you could make a little tour out of this. You know, people could meet you along the way for each leg and paddle along with you. And some support vehicles to bring supplies and shuttle people.
I have owned two speed ski kayaks that I have used in the Ocean. I'll do part of it. The warm part where the fishing is good. I'm trolling a lure for sure!

[Edited on 5-30-2009 by fishbuck]

Anytime anywhere, I would love the company. Spending weeks on my own starts to do things to my mind.:?:

seayak - 5-30-2009 at 07:57 AM

Prior to leaving I'll send messages to confirm that I'm stepping off, while in route I'll be using a SPOT satellite message trafficker for people to follow my progress via the web. Anyone familiar with satellite phones? It would be nice, but not sure on the cost.

woody with a view - 5-30-2009 at 09:03 AM

http://www.satellitephonestore.com/iridium/iridium-satellite...

seayak - 6-1-2009 at 05:59 PM

Been reading about Sat phones and rates, and the question becomes; is it necessary? Previous trips I checked in with a SPOT unit and managed to call when I could. However, a phone while south of boarder would be nice for safety reasons. Anyone with experience on the matter?

woody with a view - 6-1-2009 at 06:13 PM

i think i read that incoming calls are free????? but for emergencies out in the midst of nowhere, i'd splurge and spend some $ for added comfort and sleeping easy. you just need to keep it dry. once you leave san quintin you are far from a phone if you need one.

Udo - 6-1-2009 at 07:02 PM

I did a similar adventure about 20 or so years ago on a Hobie 16 along with 6 other 16's. We cut our trip short at Bahia Asuncion because of lack of winds and getting really tired. We had a chase crew following us on trucks and kept in touch with VHF.
When we told the US Coast Guard what we were doing, we were told "we did not hear that".
A couple of years later we did the same thing from San Felipe to Mulege.
Each time we were on the boats for about 12 days.
Better than jeeping (sorry Ken).
I was going to suggest Abraham Levy but several of you beat me to it. I now own a couple of Hobie Adventure Islands, one set up for fishing.

wilderone - 6-2-2009 at 10:26 AM

No, a sat phone is not necessary. Look at the map. You will be landing on beaches between El Rosario and Guerrero Negro; roads to some of these places do not exist; and Hwy. 1 is inland. Who are you going to call? It would take days to meet up with you from San Diego. A boaters guide would be more helpful. I have one that shows the northern coast so you'd know where an accessible beach is. I forget the exact name, but could let you know tomrrow if you're interested, or fax you pages if you want. You don't want a situation where you've only got 2 more miles in you, nighttime is imminent, and then have 5 miles of rocky cliff with pounding surf to face instead. Historically, the beaches that have good access, have a road leading to them, and have been used by fishermen for 100 years to launch boats. So if you see a nice accessible beach to come into (versus a sheer cliff), then it is possible there will eventually be a person around by and by if you're really in trouble. It's possible that a boat will see you coming down the coast and you can make contact en route (hopefully the paddle waggle is understood by those fishermen) or take some flares.
Otherwise, you'll be coming into small settlements, like Laguna Manuela which has an American RV resident contingent and fishing co-op, or Scammons Lagoon which has a salt works, etc. On a 10-day Gulf expedition, we had a weather radio so we'd know the forecast (broadcasted from Texas and Mexico - some in Spanish, some in English), but you should know how to read the clouds, swells and wind by now. And definitely don't go out in bad weather and come in at the first sign of big sea and wait it out. I know there is a radio frequency that is used by yachts, based in Cabo I think. You might want to get something like that - not sure how that works wireless though - I'm clueless on electronics. I know chit can happen, but sometimes you just have to plan for the worst and then just do it. Always have 5 days of water with you and you can always catch a fish. Take 20 packs of Ramen noodles. Divine intervention plays a part too - and Baja CA is a very spiritual place.

woody with a view - 6-2-2009 at 10:42 AM

all good advice, HOWEVER the 200 some miles from el rosario to santa rosalillita and on to GN is uninhabited EXCEPT for a few fishing shacks every 10-25 miles or so. that leaves a lot of places to have a problem and wait for days for someone to come along. making a call to tell your people where you are and what you need in an emergency is priceless, or $40/week rental.

[Edited on 6-2-2009 by woody in ob]

desertcpl - 6-2-2009 at 02:55 PM

you might want to take a look at this

http://www.carlosfiesta.com/

seayak - 6-2-2009 at 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by desertcpl
you might want to take a look at this

http://www.carlosfiesta.com/

NICE... That's worth reading, trip or not.

Jerry:cool:

seayak - 10-20-2009 at 05:06 PM

Still planning this trip...

New question...

What type of fuels are available that are with in walking distance of the beach? I'm working out which stove I'm taking with me and how much fuel I can expect to carry if I can't resupply.

grmpb - 10-20-2009 at 05:29 PM

a stove that will work with gasonline. not sure you would find anything else especially in the more remote areas

Mexitron - 10-20-2009 at 06:11 PM

Even gasoline could be hard to find--remember there's no stores between El Rosario and Guerrero Negro, and El Rosario is a long walk from the beach! San Quintin and Bahia Tortuga would be better bets unless you can find some in the fish camps...(bring something to barter with perhaps). And you can always find a little wood for a fire.

Mexitron - 10-20-2009 at 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajagrouper
Hola, In 1985 a 31 year old woman and a 60 year old man did a trip simular to what you want to do...They did a shakedown trip from Washington to San Diego...Then continued not only to Cabo but all the way up the gulf side ending in Yuma AZ. In 1986 she wrote a book describing the trip, a good read and it may be helpful for planning your adventure:

Keep it Moving, Baja by canoe
by Valerie Fons

published by The Mountaineers
306 2nd. Avenue West, Seattle,Washington 98119

Even though the title says "Baja by Canoe" they traveled by sea kayaks...Good luck and have a wonderful trip...

[Edited on 5-27-2009 by bajagrouper]

That's a great adventure! I used to have the book, lent it to my old girlfriend, never got it back....oy.....I think though that they did the trip in 1983 because I remember them trying to land in Central Baja but were unable to because the El Nino surf that year was HUGE.

amirravon - 10-20-2009 at 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by shari
Hi Jerry and welcome to Nomadlandia! We have a good pal who kayaked here to Bahia Asuncion from Rosarito and had a fantastic time. I lent him our kayak sail and he used it alot and he highly recommended one for anyone kayaking down the west coast. He also paddled alot at night when the wind and waves were at a minimum and the paddling was awesome under the stars. He put in at fish camps and had great experiences with them...they fed him, gave him water etc. and good advice...he spoke elementary spanish.

What is most important is time...time to kill when the weather is bad...too windy or time to stay and enjoy your host village. If you do this and want some contact names along the way...we have lots of relatives and amigos in various camps along this coast so email me for that. Make sure you take a radio for emergencies...stop in and see us for a meal and shower!

What a wonderful woman , Shari I really love you and john . hope to see you guys soon.

shari - 10-20-2009 at 06:32 PM

Amir...the feeling is mutual amigo! We look forward to your return visit...we are still showing people the picture of you with that enormous yellowtail!

Crusoe - 10-20-2009 at 06:51 PM

A Coleman duel fuel stove is a good choice. Very durable. ++C++

bajadock - 10-20-2009 at 08:37 PM

'YAK,
It's abvious that you are an adventurer and in solid physical condition. I like Fishbuck's/Shari's idea of setting up relay stations for support, safety, cold cervezas, other.

Please accept one of my guest bedrooms as a stopover here on Punta Banda. I also have the right vehicle and racks to help you haul in/out.

I'm a novice kayaker, but, am thrilled with yakking. Picked up my fleet of 3 this September and will likely end up with a 4th. Might even provide kayak tours in exchange for Pacificos/Vinotinto for visiting nomads here.

Holler as your plan moves forward.

[Edited on 10-21-2009 by bajadock]

seayak - 10-20-2009 at 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajadock

'YAK,
It's abvious that you are an adventurer and in solid physical condition. I like Fishbuck's/Shari's idea of setting up relay stations for support, safety, cold cervezas, other.

Please accept one of my guest bedrooms as a stopover here on Punta Banda. I also have the right vehicle and racks to help you haul in/out.

I'm a novice kayaker, but, am thrilled with yakking. Picked up my fleet of 3 this September and will likely end up with a 4th. Might even provide kayak tours in exchange for Pacificos/Vinotinto for visiting nomads here.

Holler as your plan moves forward.

[Edited on 10-21-2009 by bajadock]

Muchas Gracias :spingrin:

I look forward to meeting you.

Jerry

shari - 10-21-2009 at 06:53 AM

you KNOW you have a warm dry bunk and some Burro tacos when you arrive on our friendly shores too! In rosalillita ask for Martin Arce, Nelo Arce or Chulo and tell em your an amigo of Juan Arce in Asuncion...you'll get the royal treatment.
If it were me, I'd go stoveless...there is lots of little bits of wood for making cooking fires...you'll get good at it. We rarely even bring a grill as we just make one out of old lobster trap bits. You will find several fish camps and will be taken in and fed in all of them as you will be respected for your modus operandi...learn to eat raw fish, roe, shellfish, urchins etc. This will be an adventure you will never forget!

seayak - 10-22-2009 at 01:55 AM

When it comes to eating I usually fair pretty well. I'm hoping the sea life is good, It's my plan for the majority of my protein intake. Anything I should know about shell fish, and urchins?

Past trips have made me feel like technology is doing all the work, this time out I plan on going native.:biggrin:

wilderone - 10-22-2009 at 01:14 PM

Just get a small backpacker stove and take 2-3 canisters - very reliable, a necessity, and will serve you well. If you take a larger stove and then have to find gas for it, will take up space and you may not be able to use it if you run out of fuel. For fish, make charcoal with small sticks and wrap in aluminum foil to cook. Heavy duty aluminum foil is also very handy - can be used as lids for cooking pots to reduce weight, can be re-used, folded flat. Use water bladders instead of gallon containers since they will conform to available space. Use filtered sea water to cook pasta and rice in. Conserve fuel by boiling pasta and then letting it sit in the boiled water to finish cooking. Use a wind screen to keep any wind off your stove and wasting fuel. Only heat beverage water to the temp you want, instead of boiling and then letting it cool off. Plan meals so that most of them are created with just boiled water: oatmeal, pasta, stove top stuffing, dried soup, couscous, etc.

Crusoe - 10-22-2009 at 01:29 PM

Also in the food dept. If you can afford to buy some freeze dried fruit and freeze dried dinners they pack well and if you land some place very exausted and spent from a hard day of paddeling, and you have a stove,you can have a decent meal without turning into a scavanger. Also cooking in extreemly windy conditions hunkered into some sand dunes or the likes, trying to escape the wind, a stove comes in very handy. Good luck ++C++

TheColoradoDude - 10-22-2009 at 01:57 PM

Will you be trolling some rapalas behind your kayak? To me that would be a sure way to catch dinner. Sashimi good!

monoloco - 10-22-2009 at 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by seayak
Still planning this trip...

New question...

What type of fuels are available that are with in walking distance of the beach? I'm working out which stove I'm taking with me and how much fuel I can expect to carry if I can't resupply.
On most remote Baja beaches there is ample driftwood for fires making it easier to stretch your fuel.

seayak - 10-22-2009 at 10:11 PM

I'm figuring on six week window for the trip. However, I don't plan on bringing that much fuel, I was planing on using any natural resources that I could. The stove that I plan on using is an Esbit folding stove. Tiny German folding stove that burns hexamine tablets, I can fit about 21 fuel cubes into the 32 oz cup that I boil with. As for the food that I pack, 80% is dehydrated and requires hot water to rehydrate. The rest of my food I can eat without heating. As for fishing, thought I might troll.

What should I use for lures?

wilderone - 10-23-2009 at 09:17 AM

I have an Esbit - the fuel tabs don't get as hot as propane mix fuel, and if there's a bit of a breeze, takes away some heat as well. If you run out of tabs then you have nothing. If 80% of your food is dyhydrated, doesn't that make the stove and its capability of boiling water efficiently an absolute necessity? 21 fuel cubes means 21 meals out of the possible 80 meals (2 hot meals or beverages per day x 42 days) you'll want. That's a lot of scavanging for drift wood in the wind waiting for coals and your water to boil. Don't compromise on this.

seayak - 10-23-2009 at 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by wilderone
I have an Esbit - the fuel tabs don't get as hot as propane mix fuel, and if there's a bit of a breeze, takes away some heat as well. If you run out of tabs then you have nothing. If 80% of your food is dyhydrated, doesn't that make the stove and its capability of boiling water efficiently an absolute necessity? 21 fuel cubes means 21 meals out of the possible 80 meals (2 hot meals or beverages per day x 42 days) you'll want. That's a lot of scavanging for drift wood in the wind waiting for coals and your water to boil. Don't compromise on this.

So far with the esbit set up, with out my wind screen I can boil 2 cups of water in just about 5 minutes. The cubes are said to burn for about 13 minutes, although I've averaged all my burn trial times and came out with an average of 10 minutes. Although the tablets don't have the BTU's of propane, or other liquid fuels they are by far the lightest and most compact fuel that I have used. Not to also mention there easier to budget, ie; one tablet/one boil, vs.mass of fuel/average boil time.
As for the amount of fuel I'll take, not sure yet. I have a six week window and 2 weeks of that is fluff to cover weather, fatigue, lay overs, and the unknown.
Not that it matters, but any idea how long it takes to boil 2 cups of water at sea level with your esbit?;)

seayak - 10-23-2009 at 02:08 PM

This is comparison of my MSR XKG-EX stove, 775ml pot, 2 fuel cells, and rebuild kit (cigar tube), next to my esbit stove, and cup.

seayak - 10-23-2009 at 02:10 PM

top view of cup with stove inside and 18 fuel tablets.

Skipjack Joe - 10-23-2009 at 02:29 PM

Get a small backpacker's grill for cooking. The fish will taste a lot better when barbqued over a fire. That dehydrated stuff gets old real fast. It really doesn't take very long to set up some rocks and start a fire. Fires are fun. The whole process of searching, eating, sitting around with the coffee, stoking it now and again, writing a journal entry. Given a choice of doing all that in a tent or outside - the choice is obvious.

Last year I spent about 4 weeks eating backpacker's food and after about 2 weeks I couldn't stand the sight of one of those packages. You start skipping meals just to avoid them. But bbq'ed salmon .... no problem.

P.S. Oatmeal breakfast is simple and seemed to give us the most energy.

[Edited on 10-23-2009 by Skipjack Joe]

seayak - 10-23-2009 at 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Skipjack Joe
Get a small backpacker's grill for cooking. The fish will taste a lot better when barbqued over a fire. That dehydrated stuff gets old real fast. It really doesn't take very long to set up some rocks and start a fire. Fires are fun. The whole process of searching, eating, sitting around with the coffee, stoking it now and again, writing a journal entry. Given a choice of doing all that in a tent or outside - the choice is obvious.

Last year I spent about 4 weeks eating backpacker's food and after about 2 weeks I couldn't stand the sight of one of those packages. You start skipping meals just to avoid them. But bbq'ed salmon .... no problem.

P.S. Oatmeal breakfast is simple and seemed to give us the most energy.

[Edited on 10-23-2009 by Skipjack Joe]

I'm not keen on the back packer food either, it does however remind me of food. I've been experimenting a little with the idea of small grill or possibly just foil. What would you pack for seasoning fish?

wilderone - 10-23-2009 at 04:37 PM

I agree your MSR setup is too large and heavy. Check out the GAZ stoves and its cannister. 3 cannisters for the Gaz is about the size of your largest fuel container shown above. The pot shown on the MSR is too heavy for either the Esbit or a backpacking stove. Go titanium and/or the pot shown with your Esbit. Takes too much fuel to boil water in a large, heavy pot with heavy lid. Use heavy duty aluminum foil for lids. I'll experiment with my Esbit outside to see how long it takes to boil 8 oz of water in a 12 oz titanium pot. (However, 2 cups of water in 5 min. isn't bad.) Old Bay seasoning, szchuan (sp?) seasoning for fish. With boil in the bag rice or couscous. Instant mashed potatoes, pouches of tuna, chicken, salmon pack well. Lots of trail mix consisting of walnuts, coconut, yogurt coated raisins, dried cranberries, can be thrown in some oatmeal for breakfast or eaten while paddling for sustained caloric energy. A small grill will be very handy whenever you find the time and fuel for a small fire.
If you want to consider another option for a stove, as a backup or otherwise, you can get the very, very light and inexpensive alcohol stoves on eBay. Yes, you have to carry fuel for it, but I was very pleased with the light weight and size and reliability. You can put alcohol stove fuel in plastic bottles - like plastic shampoo bottles - so they're not so heavy.

wilderone - 10-23-2009 at 04:39 PM

Like this - I have 2 - one I've had for 30 years:

http://cgi.ebay.com/GAZ-Compact-camping-STOVE-Bleuet-S-200-b...

woody with a view - 10-23-2009 at 05:00 PM

Yak

every turn of the coast past San Quintin will have a fish camp. you will be revered as the next coming of Cortez when you haul out for the night. they will treat you like family. don't over pack or sweat the minute details. there will (nearly) always be smiling faces willing to share what they have with, "The Crazy Gringo Who Came From The Sea."

when are you going again?

seayak - 10-24-2009 at 12:50 AM

Quote:
I agree your MSR setup is too large and heavy. Check out the GAZ stoves and its cannister. 3 cannisters for the Gaz is about the size of your largest fuel container shown above. The pot shown on the MSR is too heavy for either the Esbit or a backpacking stove. Go titanium and/or the pot shown with your Esbit. Takes too much fuel to boil water in a large, heavy pot with heavy lid. Use heavy duty aluminum foil for lids. I'll experiment with my Esbit outside to see how long it takes to boil 8 oz of water in a 12 oz titanium pot. (However, 2 cups of water in 5 min. isn't bad.) Old Bay seasoning, szchuan (sp?) seasoning for fish. With boil in the bag rice or couscous. Instant mashed potatoes, pouches of tuna, chicken, salmon pack well. Lots of trail mix consisting of walnuts, coconut, yogurt coated raisins, dried cranberries, can be thrown in some oatmeal for breakfast or eaten while paddling for sustained caloric energy. A small grill will be very handy whenever you find the time and fuel for a small fire.
If you want to consider another option for a stove, as a backup or otherwise, you can get the very, very light and inexpensive alcohol stoves on eBay. Yes, you have to carry fuel for it, but I was very pleased with the light weight and size and reliability. You can put alcohol stove fuel in plastic bottles - like plastic shampoo bottles - so they're not so heavy.

The MSR stove, pot, and cylinders is the set up I used for my last tour. It wasn't the lightest or smallest but the XKG-EX stove is really reliable, and it will even burn diesel. The set up ran flawless for 65 days straight. I like titanium but I just can't convince myself that it's worth it. The aluminum cup cost me $1.98 and the titanium version is $34. If weight was more of an issue I wouldn't hesitate. :)

seayak - 10-24-2009 at 12:54 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by woody in ob
Yak

every turn of the coast past San Quintin will have a fish camp. you will be revered as the next coming of Cortez when you haul out for the night. they will treat you like family. don't over pack or sweat the minute details. there will (nearly) always be smiling faces willing to share what they have with, "The Crazy Gringo Who Came From The Sea."

when are you going again?

I'm glad to hear that, I read the book "Into A Desert" and the stories of how friendly the fish camps were great.

The plan is too leave the first week in June 2010.

woody with a view - 10-24-2009 at 06:40 AM

give some warning. maybe we'll be "out there" somewhere to meet up with ya!

jahImpala3 - 10-24-2009 at 08:15 AM

Jerry,
I would bring a small grill to cook fish on. Aluminum foil is good, but you would need to bring a roll of it to cook every night. Mrs. Dash has always been a good, general seasoning for fish that we have liked.
Talk to you later,
-E

TheColoradoDude - 10-24-2009 at 09:56 AM

If you have the cash I highly recommend the Jetboil. You will have boiling water in about 90 seconds and its pretty compact. Carry some extra fuel cannisters and your good to go. I have used this on numerous camping expeditions and it seemed to outperform anything else I saw available. I was usually eating or drinking hot tea while others were still fighting to get a flame.

http://www.rei.com/product/791308

You can also get replacement fuel coleman 70 butane 30 propane at walmart. It's cheaper than the actual jet fuel from REI and I don't notice a difference.

http://www.amazon.com/Canister-Propane-Butane-Fuel/dp/B002RZ...

KapeZer - 11-8-2009 at 05:50 AM

Quote:

I want to try this food I will try cook this thing .,I really like yogurt I do not know why .,I wish I can make a tasty and lovely food .,

dean miller - 11-8-2009 at 07:45 AM

suggest that you read
"We Survived Yesterday" by John Reeseck. Jr.,
1994. ISBN # 1-882180-18-6.

John is retired to Washington State and is still active in water sports.

Should you like to contact John please PM me

monoloco - 11-8-2009 at 07:36 PM

Also you might want to get a copy of;" Baja Boater's Guide vol.1" by Jack Williams. It has very good aerial photos of all the major anchorages and launching spots.

seayak - 4-27-2010 at 02:23 PM

Hello,

So it's almost time to go and things have changed a little. Not paddling solo, teamed up with another paddler for safety. Start date is June 9th hope to make Cabo by July 17th, I have a flight home on July 18th. Most of the details are tentative due to the nature of things but I'm hoping to meet some of you on the Pacific side.

seayak - 4-29-2010 at 12:38 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by dean miller
suggest that you read
"We Survived Yesterday" by John Reeseck. Jr.,
1994. ISBN # 1-882180-18-6.

John is retired to Washington State and is still active in water sports.

Should you like to contact John please PM me

So I had the chance to meet John at his place in Orange County. He's pretty awesome, got him to sign my copy of "We Survived Yesterday". Having never met me, he invited us to his house and went over all my maps and plans for the trip. If I survive this, I may make a trip up north to paddle Vancouver Island with John.

[Edited on 4-29-2010 by seayak]

wilderone - 5-11-2010 at 06:01 PM

Let us know where you'll be in San Diego to launch - I'd love to wish you fare well.

Nan&D - 5-11-2010 at 06:53 PM

Hey Seayak,
Cool to see this thread up again, and wishing you a great trip. Looking forward to hearing more!

Udo - 5-12-2010 at 05:10 PM

I second this suggestion, and as one kayaker to another, sure would be nice to see you off and wish you luck. I'll bet other yakers as well as Nomads would do the same.:bounce::tumble::yes:

Quote:
Let us know where you'll be in San Diego to launch - I'd love to wish you fare well.

wilderone - 6-4-2010 at 07:42 AM

seayak - are you on track? Can we meet up with you for a farewell?

Udo - 6-4-2010 at 06:57 PM

I would be there for that one too, wilderone.

I think they were leaving this Sunday, June 6.

This has to be better that the right coast guys that spent their time in the SOC.
The Pacific is humongously rougher!

I did this one on a Hobie 16, as well as crossing the SOC from San Felipe to Puerto Peņasco.
However, those trips were 25 years ago, but I would still do them again even at my age.

I hope the kayakers are taking at least one fishing pole.

[Edited on 6-5-2010 by Udo]

[Edited on 6-5-2010 by Udo]

wilderone - 6-5-2010 at 07:04 AM

I sent him a U2U too - tomorrow would work for me.

Udo - 6-5-2010 at 09:30 AM

I tried their e-mail, wilder, but not working, (the one set up on Nomads)
I also sent a u2u.
If I had their names, I could google them.
I noticed they are in Apple Valley, which is right behind the San Bernardino mountains. About 45 from me.

BajaBlanca - 6-5-2010 at 03:29 PM

if anyone talks to them ... have them stop by la bocana !!!!!!!!!!!!!! we will put them up like royalty !!!!! food - shower - booze .... What an amazing story they will be able to tell

hey yakster

woody with a view - 6-5-2010 at 04:14 PM

U2U me for some recent info (mid may).

Udo - 6-5-2010 at 04:26 PM

Woody...

I think these guys are finishing packing their stuff and readying their yaks about this time.

woody with a view - 6-5-2010 at 04:35 PM

just as well. let the adventure guide their way!

i'm sure they have info overload by now and just wanna paddle. at least the surf won't be a problem for the next 2 weeks (barring any potential chubasco's!)......