BajaNomad

Wahoo In Loreto

bill erhardt - 5-29-2009 at 02:31 PM

Yesterday, after logging well over 200 NM on the water over two days, I scored on a 64 pound wahoo. Also two 30#+ dorado, the biggest 39 pounds, that couldn't resist fast trolled wahoo lures. I know of four other wahoo caught out of Loreto over the past week. Probably not enough to constitute a real "wahoo bite" but enough to pique the interest of a number of local fishermen. The dorado continue to get bigger, and billfish are starting to hit artificial lures. It is shaping up to be a good summer for fishing in Loreto.

5-28hoo.jpg - 37kB

Cypress - 5-29-2009 at 02:38 PM

Thanks for the picture.:D Nice Wahoo.:bounce:

capt. mike - 5-30-2009 at 07:17 AM

outstanding Bill.
best tasting fish i ever ate, 50 lb one taken south west of La Paz in 1991.

Bajaboy - 5-30-2009 at 07:21 AM

I'm with you Mike-my favorite fish as well.

Alan - 5-30-2009 at 07:46 AM

You slay me Bill! I jones over every one of your reports. I really think you could catch a Wahoo in Lake Mead. Having yet to mark a Wahoo off my list I was wondering what lures have been most effective for you? I am leaving for La Paz in the morning. A few Wahoo have been reported in the area recently so I am looking for help in catching my first.

rpleger - 5-30-2009 at 08:02 AM

Man...Now thats a fish!!!!!:yes:

Von - 5-30-2009 at 10:18 AM

NICE one my friend cannt wait to try to catch one....

bill erhardt - 5-30-2009 at 08:26 PM

Alan...... I caught the wahoo Thursday on an orange and black 8 1/2" Yo-Zuri Bonita, the top lure in the photo. The second lure down is an identical lure after a dozen or so wahoo. They seem to like them just as well chewed up as new. The purple and black Bonita is also good for wahoo. The bottom lure is an Island Islander modified with a 12" squid skirt and a 4 oz. sliding weight. That lure accounted for about 15 hoos around Thetis Bank last fall. I use the Island and Bonitas more than any other lures for wahoo. Last year, or the year before, you were planning a trip to Lopez Mateos. I think you had to put it off for some reason. If you can make it down this fall, let me know and we will get together over there and maybe notch your first hoo, if you haven't done it before. This one out of Loreto was a nice surprise, but it is always a long shot here. I logged around 50 miles this morning trolling the same area and not a touch.

wahoo lures.JPG - 49kB

Alan - 5-30-2009 at 09:14 PM

Thank you Bill. I'm packing my Mauraders!

Wish I could meet up with you this fall but I brought my boat home until I retire. It was nearly impossible to get it launched when I'd fly down without my truck.

htnfool - 5-31-2009 at 06:37 AM

Bill,

Thanks for posting the lure pictures. It sure helps us rookies catch fish. Congrats on the Wahoo. A rare feat indeed.

comitan - 5-31-2009 at 12:56 PM

For the Rookies, He's showing you the lure but not the leader, for myself I always use 135# test wire, W4 sleeve,not for the size of the fish but for the teeth, lost too many with 90#. When you go to buy that lure you'll understand why you don't want to lose it.

bill erhardt - 5-31-2009 at 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by comitan
For the Rookies, He's showing you the lure but not the leader, for myself I always use 135# test wire, W4 sleeve,not for the size of the fish but for the teeth, lost too many with 90#. When you go to buy that lure you'll understand why you don't want to lose it.

I use 275# 49 strand SS cable, and not the nylon coated cable. Salt water invariably gets under the nylon coating, corrodes the cable and costs you a lure and a fish.
The hoos are definitely hard on tackle.