BajaNomad

Always a new twist.

Pescador - 6-2-2009 at 12:24 PM

Just when you think you have things pretty well figured out concerning the tides and feeding times of yellowtail, they throw you a new twist. Because we had guests who wanted to go fishing, I said I would take them out to the bajos of San Marcos Island but when I looked at the tide charts, I did not really expect to do anything but thought that we might find a "retarded fish" that was willing to bite so we went. Well, for the last three days it has been a wide open bite that could only be described as fantastic and the fish have mostly been in the low to mid thirty pound range which is a good size for yellowtail. The season is really late and we are all starting to think of sailfish and dorado which are biting like crazy to the south of us 20 - 30 miles away and these fish are biting like they are in the middle of winter. Guess it just goes to show that yellwtail are too stupid to read all the books.:lol:

Cypress - 6-2-2009 at 12:30 PM

If anybody can catch 'em, you can. Congrats.

Martyman - 6-2-2009 at 12:57 PM

Next year I will plan my trip around Memorial Day-end of May.

estebanis - 6-2-2009 at 01:00 PM

Good for you!!! Nothing like WFO...
I am going spearfishing after a 20 year hiatus. I am hoping to find a uneducated perch...:smug:

Any Dorado near San Marcos Island

drzura - 6-2-2009 at 03:13 PM

Are any dorado being caught near San Marcos Island? I will be coming down in a couple weeks and have fishing fever...

Damion

[Edited on 6-2-2009 by drzura]

Skeet/Loreto - 6-2-2009 at 03:24 PM

The present Cycle of Good Fishing comes about every 5 years, sometimes it may change if the Squid come back in large numbers. if the Sharks come back in increased numbers, or if Bait patterns change.

I would say if you would like a chance at some large Dorado go out to Mercuerous Reef{ 45 minutes on a 030 Heading from Island Coronodo} or take a North line off of Catalana directly for Pt. Lobos.
Good long ride but chances you could pick up some good fish..

Have Fun

Pescador - 6-2-2009 at 07:07 PM

Skeet, I totally agree with you that most of the hype about all of the fish being killed off is nothing more than a way to sell memberships to the wacko environmental orginizations, but I need to be very clear here. The fishing is no way what it was back in te 50's and 60's. Fishing is my main passion in life and I spend a large number of days a year on the water and I can show you clearly what has happened both in size and numbers of the fisheries in the Sea of Cortez. The biggest danger that I have seen in the yellowtail populations is the spring netting which has gotten much worse in the last few years. In the old days they used to avoid the rocks and close to the islands both here and on the mainland side, but when they started using divers and they string nets around the schools that are coming in to spawn, they are killing not only the present generation but the future generations as well. So yes, we get runs of migratory fish and sometimes they are very large but you need to be very careful not to confuse that with the overall health of the yellowtail population. Reef fishes like cabrilla and grouper are in serious decline while the more migratory species like dorado, marlin, and sailfish seem to be holding their own. Most fish survive simply because there is a small population of predators (namely fishermen both private and commercial) who are working them hard but the effects are starting to show and I seriously doubt that Mexico will put anything in effect with enough control to have much effect.

Santiago - 6-2-2009 at 08:56 PM

Pescador: thanks for your report and honest observations.

Cypress - 6-3-2009 at 05:59 AM

Pescador, Thanks. It's unfortunate, but your statement sums up the Sea of Cortez fisheries.:( Is anyone gonna tell Pescador where, when, or how to fish?:biggrin: