BajaNomad

What to do with the Cherokee?

dtbushpilot - 6-10-2009 at 11:35 AM

I have my 79 Jeep Cherokee down at our place in Buena Vista. I plan on updating my wheels and will need to get rid of the Cherokee. It isn't imported and still registered in New Mexico. When I had it at the mechanics shop for the day several locals stopped in and inquired if it was for sale. I'm not really looking forward to driving it all the way back home to sell it, I'd rather let it fade away in Baja.

Can I sell it down there without getting in trouble? How?

DENNIS - 6-10-2009 at 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by dtbushpilot
I have my 79 Jeep Cherokee down at our place in Buena Vista. I plan on updating my wheels and will need to get rid of the Cherokee. It isn't imported and still registered in New Mexico. When I had it at the mechanics shop for the day several locals stopped in and inquired if it was for sale. I'm not really looking forward to driving it all the way back home to sell it, I'd rather let it fade away in Baja.

Can I sell it down there without getting in trouble? How?

Man...That's exactly the type of ride I would want to keep for a local beater. Remember Pizza Insurance here? I think Oso coined the term. It's Piece Of chiit insurance because nobody will ever want to steal it and, if they do, no big deal.

gnukid - 6-10-2009 at 11:57 AM

You can sell it to an American or anyone (non mexican) who will plan to register it legally.

It's also reasonable that it could be imported by anyone.

Legally you are not supposed to sell a US registered vehicle to a Mexican, but this seems odd, since most of the vehicles in Baja are imported from the US. I have never heard of Mexico prosecuting a foreigner for doing this. I believe the law is to discourage sale of stolen vehicles. So no preocupes.

How about you either sell to an American, or to someone planning to legally register, or if you plan to sell it to a Mexican, declare it no-op at the DMV and let the buyer know they are on their own to import or register. Its a common scenario.

I know a really good mechanic who specializes in Cherokees and I am sure they could take it for cheap like $200.

Just don't sell it and fail to make a declaration with the DMV, such as wrecked, no-op, or sold.

If you want to be a real good guy, you could include a letter providing permission for the Mexican to drive it which will help them a little to get going.

Lastly, do not sell it and accept a buyer who says they are going in the car for the money and will be right back or they can pay later.

dtbushpilot - 6-10-2009 at 11:57 AM

I like the Cherokee just fine but the AC doesn't work, it doesn't ride very well, it shakes and rattles and exhaust fumes seem to migrate into the vehicle at times. Like I said, I like it but my wife doesn't..........I find that I am well rewarded when I keep her happy:yes::yes::yes:.....dt

comitan - 6-10-2009 at 12:08 PM

Over the years I have sold 5 vehicles and 2 boats no questions asked, they will give you more if its imported if not they deal with it.

bajaguy - 6-10-2009 at 12:21 PM

Take the current license plates off of it!!!!!

DENNIS - 6-10-2009 at 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by gnukid
If you want to be a real good guy, you could include a letter providing permission for the Mexican to drive it which will help them a little to get going.

Are you suggesting.........gasp*****sputter.........that he enable a National without a foreign drivers license to drive a foreign plated car?
Why, Gnu....That's so unlike you. Seems your ethics have taken a Mexican holiday. :tumble:

gnukid - 6-10-2009 at 01:31 PM

Oh I think you are correct sir. I noted a legal method to allow the buyeror a pal to drive the US vehicle to the import station or a bar as would be required and reasonable.

By the way, I include blank permission to use vehicle forms in all vehicles should I encounter such a scenario, I highly recommend it. Let's say your drunk with 5 hot mexicanas and you need more beer. The right thing to do is give a sober driver permission to drive you, legally. Makes sense to me! I do it all the time, legally of course.

FYI the forms are available at practically any papeleria which provides formatas pancho! Stick it in your packets! Last thing you want is your mexican friends to suffer while they are in fact supporting your debauchery.

As it is, the cops know my car is documented as such and don't bug my posse!

DanO - 6-10-2009 at 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by gnukid
Let's say your drunk with 5 hot mexicanas and you need more beer.

I predict Fishbuck will post on this within 15 seconds of his next login.

On the topic, I have dispensed with a beat up trailer I traded for a propane refrigerator, three tanks of propane and some construction work by signing the pink slip over to a local. I made sure to file the bill of sale with the DMV stateside to avoid registration renewal requests. They didn't seem to care that the buyer's address was in Mexico. And he didn't need to import it. He just took off the wheels and the plates, built a palapa in front of it and sold it to someone else as a vacation home. Still going strong.

texascarwasher - 6-10-2009 at 03:19 PM

you really ought to think about getting it back to the US. If Obama has his way it will be worth $4,500 on a trade in for a new car.

DENNIS - 6-10-2009 at 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by texascarwasher
you really ought to think about getting it back to the US. If Obama has his way it will be worth $4,500 on a trade in for a new car.

Who wants to buy a car from the federal government?

dtbushpilot - 6-10-2009 at 03:59 PM

Quote:

I saw that in the news today, the wheels definitely started turning. I wonder if I could get the rebate if I bought a used vehicle that got the required better mileage. I shouldn't have any trouble finding something at about twice the mileage of the Cherokee.

toneart - 6-10-2009 at 04:03 PM

If the price is very cheap, why not, as a seller, declare it as non-op with your DMV? I see so many vehicles with expired stickers or no plates at all. If the gringo buyer just keeps it for very local driving, who cares?

You just won't be able to buy Mexican Insurance though, if it is not registered and insured in The U.S. That is a major consideration. Just don't get into an accident. If you do, walk/run away from it and abandon it.
I am sure that many would not recommend this approach. Some would though. Certainly not I! :saint:

(Just thinking with my fingers but not necessarily my brain but my fingers ask, why not? Isn't that the way many Nomads post?)
:yes:

Phil C - 6-10-2009 at 05:45 PM

If it were a 151 I would consider it :yes:

Pescador - 6-11-2009 at 07:25 AM

Quote:

Yeah, but, you have to trade it in on a two seater putt-putt with a lawnmower engine and while it gets 125 MPG, it only does 25 and for sure you don't want to meet head on with one of those big diesel rigs headed the other way on HWY 1. Course the diesel driver would look over to his partner and ask, did I just hit a bug or sometheeng.