BajaNomad

Surf fishing fun

Russ - 6-17-2009 at 09:51 AM

Went driving around in search of some shore fish (no surf here) yesterday. The weather was really nice with a light breeze when we started. The water was crystal clear and inviting. My first cast with my new noodle rod, 9' very light, got this:

It was fun on 6# test but I've never caught one of these . Anyone got an ID for it? That was all we got out of there so moved down to the mile long stretch of rocks I call "The Flat Rocks" and we all got some fish. They're small but what a blast on light gear. After that we went to the estuary and hooked a few more.

The heron eat a 2' long lisa. It had to stretch it's neck all the way and swallowed it whole. Fun time and we even had a few moments for some very cold beer.:bounce:

Russ - 6-17-2009 at 10:05 AM

One more pic with the heron & lisa but before it got swallowed.

Skipjack Joe - 6-17-2009 at 10:26 AM

Wonderful pictures, Russ. Especially that roosterfish.

Aren't they something!

The colors on that dorsal fin are magnificent.

The fish in question is probably a grunt.

tripledigitken - 6-17-2009 at 10:32 AM

Russ,

Very Nice! Rooster's from shore...............perfect!

Thanks for the post.

Ken

Russ - 6-17-2009 at 10:46 AM

Thanks... I thought it's a grunt too but it is all gray and no grunting noise. Kinda like a huachinango (sp) but gray. That little rooster had great markings and for a really small fish it was a drag peeler.

4baja - 6-17-2009 at 11:56 AM

thanks for the stoke russ

Curt63 - 6-17-2009 at 12:59 PM

Real nice!

Cypress - 6-17-2009 at 01:09 PM

Russ, Thanks for the pictures. A walk along the beach. And fishing along the way. Does'nt get much better than that. Wish the fish were a little bigger, but we all want to catch bigger fish.:biggrin:

24baja - 6-17-2009 at 01:40 PM

You always give good pictures, Russ, thanks for sharing them. The Roosterfish is beautiful, I haven't caught one as yet.....someday I will. Connie

Sallysouth - 6-17-2009 at 01:47 PM

Really great pictures Russ! I love the "back ground" of the fish pics especially.Shore fishing is so cool.Catch one, have a beer, sit for a while, do it again and again...

baitcast - 6-17-2009 at 02:48 PM

Wading around on a sandy point,warm clear water,a pretty little rooster damn you really got it tough Russ,nice pic,s to.
Rob

BajaBruno - 6-17-2009 at 03:45 PM

Good job, Russ! You are much more successful at shore fishing than I am.

toneart - 6-17-2009 at 03:50 PM

Great photos, Russ. What is that bird with the red beak and eyes?

Russ - 6-17-2009 at 03:55 PM

toneart, Oystercatcher
BajaBruno, I don't think so. I had been skunked for the last 4 trips and only caught 4 or 5 yesterday. I wanted to keep this post on an up beat so I'll not rag on the pangeros and their frigg'n nets :yawn: