BajaNomad

Punta Canoas to Santa Rosalillita - Coast Road

Ryan - 6-18-2009 at 09:51 AM

NOTHING TO SEE HERE. MOVE ALONG.

[Edited on 6-22-2009 by Ryan]

Von - 6-18-2009 at 10:50 AM

Cool pictures my friend I was down in Santa Rosalillita last August with my wife and two girls just for the day because they couldnt take the heat in BoLA. It was about 30 degrees cooler there thats for sure.

woody with a view - 6-18-2009 at 11:16 AM

Ryan click your "U2U" icon at the top right corner of the page.

drzura - 6-18-2009 at 12:38 PM

Thanks for telling me about your nice little surfing spots. I may have to take that road next time and check out the breaks. Woody's secret spot is not so secret anymore....:P

[Edited on 6-18-2009 by drzura]

woody with a view - 6-18-2009 at 01:58 PM

X

don't worry ryan.... i tried to offer some nice words via u2u and ask you to remove the names, not the fotos. easy enough, or so i thought. sorry if you're panties are wound too tight, son!

[Edited on 6-18-2009 by woody in ob]

[Edited on 6-18-2009 by woody in ob]

Curt63 - 6-18-2009 at 02:18 PM

Ryan, I'm stoked for your trip. I've known about those spots for decades and I assume many others do too. If anything, your post serves to deter all but those hardiest surf traveler.

There has always been an air of secrecy and localism in surfing. Sad to say I used to be a Seaside local (the mellow non vocal kind) and I'm ashamed of it. I've seen all the hassles and fistfights in the line up and its so sad.

I've even seen hassles in 3' Abre (extreme secret spot) by "local gringo landowners???". I've heard secret spot Scorpions Bay has gotten bad too. No plans for me to visit that place. They bought it and they can have it. What comes around goes around.

Sorry to see you got hassled online. One thing about line up hassles is there's no where to run to no where to hide. You may have to back up your words.

I have found that many surfers mature and mellow and learn to share and enjoy. I'm glad That many Mexicans have welcomed me to share their simple, beautiful land.

I'm confident their will always be an empty beach with great waves and fishing for those willing to get their truck dusty and haul some supplies. I live for it

Ryan - 6-18-2009 at 02:37 PM

This U2U from cardonhugger was my favorite:

Hey you f888cking kook..... it's the last remote stretch in Baja and your sharing it with the f***king internet WORLD???? Why do you think it was so unpopulated? Those that have been going there for decades don't blab about such special places. Those names get onto every search engine across the globe!!!! Delete your David K report or that area won't remain unspoiled very long.......

Ryan - 6-18-2009 at 02:59 PM

One last thing - directed mostly at cardonhugger. If you think that the 7 Sisters is the last remote stretch in Baja, you haven't looked far enough or hard enough.
Here, I will give you a head start - get a boat 28' or less and head to Mag Bay. Launch. Explore. Repeat. Your flippin head will explode.

David K - 6-18-2009 at 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Ryan
One last thing - directed mostly at cardonhugger. If you think that the 7 Sisters is the last remote stretch in Baja, you haven't looked far enough or hard enough.
Here, I will give you a head start - get a boat 28' or less and head to Mag Bay. Launch. Explore. Repeat. Your flippin head will explode.

No kidding... saying that place is unknown is quite a stretch... and why is it okay for him to know and nobody else? Like only he can protect it? Well, big news flash Cardon: The Mexicans are building a graded highway north from Santa Rosalillita along your 'secret' coast... and it reached Punta Blanco in 2007! I trust viewers of Baja Nomad over people in 2WD cars from cities who NOW can access that coast... Direct your anger where it will do the most good, I say.

KurtG - 6-18-2009 at 03:20 PM

Beautiful stretch of coast. I've done it twice going out to Catarina Landing from Guayaquil and working my way south to Rosilillita. Both trips solo with an S-10 Blazer. I think you can give directions for this area to everyone you meet and maybe 1 out of a 100 will actually go out there. Last time I did the trip I took 3 days and didn't see another person in the northern 2/3's. I haven't motorcycled it yet because I haven't found anyone who will do it with me, I have enough range on my bike to do the trip and I didn't see anything that the bike wouldn't handle except the moon dust near Bahia Blanca but I think I could get around that.

squintingringo - 6-18-2009 at 03:21 PM

I've driven the coast from Punta Canoas to Santa Rosalillita probable ten times at least, and walked most of it. Its hardly a secret. More than once I've had to find an alternate camping spot because someone was already set up where I was planning to stay. I'll be camping down there again next month. Yes, its a great stretch of pristine coastline, but hardly undiscovered.

bajaandy - 6-18-2009 at 03:22 PM

Yo Ryan,

Cool report. I know X-actly each and every spot you mentioned. Glad you had an X-citing time! Sorry I missed seeing your pictures before you removed them. Try not to let the online "vibe-bro-matics" get you down. I got the same lame-a$$ flame a few years ago when I posted about the area.

Oh, and welcome to Nomads.

David K - 6-18-2009 at 03:25 PM

It is a remote area, no supplies, foggy and cold much of the time... It appeals only to very few... no surfer need worry about photos or trip reports on Nomad causing the ruin of one's ideal beach break.

I was clear in my 2007 trip report that Baja Angel nor I have any desire to return to the wet and windy west! Give us heat, warm water, and a sandy beach anyday over the Seven Sisters!

dtbushpilot - 6-18-2009 at 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by KurtG
Beautiful stretch of coast. I've done it twice going out to Catarina Landing from Guayaquil and working my way south to Rosilillita. Both trips solo with an S-10 Blazer. I think you can give directions for this area to everyone you meet and maybe 1 out of a 100 will actually go out there. Last time I did the trip I took 3 days and didn't see another person in the northern 2/3's. I haven't motorcycled it yet because I haven't found anyone who will do it with me, I have enough range on my bike to do the trip and I didn't see anything that the bike wouldn't handle except the moon dust near Bahia Blanca but I think I could get around that.

What bike do you ride and when do you want to go?.....dt

Ryan - 6-18-2009 at 03:37 PM

On a m/c you can hug the coast at Blanca and even run the beach at lower tide. The dust bowls are definitely avoidable. There are tons of guys on day trips on motorcycles in that area. The moondust was the scariest thing for me in 2wd. But, just put the pedal down and don't let up until on the other side! Also, I was aired down to about 22 to 24 psi on 33" tires.

woody with a view - 6-18-2009 at 04:26 PM

......and where else can you find named fotos of the spots???? i'm just saying, if you're a surfer you should understand that aspect of it. maps abound but nowhere can you find pictures.... it's like leaving crumbs for the next crew.....

i'm not trying to claim any spot(s) at all. in fact, i've met a couple guys from here out on the road(s), so it shows that we don't all hate each other. i even get an earful at times for posting fotos that are very well cropped so as to not i.d. the spot. maybe i'm responsible for our friend ryan following my crumb trail....

it all boils down to leaving something to the imagination. i'm glad you had a good time. reports are cool too. just don't name the spots in fotos.........

David K - 6-18-2009 at 04:42 PM

Sure Woody, I understand you alright... It is Cardon Hugger's mean u2u to this new Nomad that was out of line, IMO.

A couple of names Ryan gave to the points. etc. didn't appear on the maps most of us use (Baja Almanac, AAA), so what good does it do a 'stranger' to the Sisters if he doesn't know where to drive to get to Punta X?

Now, that book that Cardon Hugger doesn't seem to remember: 'The Surfer's Guide to Baja' by Mike Parise c2001 has the area well covered, but again that one point Ryan had a couple photos of... isn't in the guide book.

So, who cares what name Ryan called that point... It means nothing unless the maps and books would be surfers have it listed. No ned to be nasty to Ryan.

Cheers!

KurtG - 6-18-2009 at 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by dtbushpilot
Quote:

I've got a KLR 650, a little heavy for real dirt riding but it works well on two track Baja roads. I've got good upgraded suspension and the 7 gallon fuel tank as used on the military version of the bike. At age 65 my riding is a bit slower than the young guys on real dirt bikes but I keep meeting up with them in out of the way places. Just takes me a little longer to get there! Early fall would be a great time for me to go there again. I live in San Luis Obispo County and ride the bike from here instead of hauling it.

cardonhugger - 6-18-2009 at 06:49 PM

As long time lurker to this fabulous forum, I am proud to now twice have had a PRIVATE, PERSONAL message to another posted for all to see. First it was most everyones hero David K a while back and now Ryan.

Kinda a breach of trust regarding a personal communication??? Do I see a pattern here? Was it something I said? O well, at least Ryan didn't include a panorama of his face(s) in his photo "sharing".......

Mexitron - 6-18-2009 at 07:01 PM

May I make a suggestion--if it irks you to see the Sisters being reported on I think the best thing to do is to not say anything at all and let these threads die a quick death.....and I realize THIS post is bumping it back up in the queue, but next time..........

Bob H - 6-18-2009 at 07:05 PM

Ryan, did you post photos? I don't see any but just David's two photos.
Bob H

BooJumMan - 6-18-2009 at 07:32 PM

I donno, they were relatively secret for a very long time. Up until about 5 years ago, I never saw another car (expect for a local fisherman). My dad and his buddies have been going there since the 60s, and in fact were the ones who built the first wall at the wall. Once it got too crowded they moved north.

Anyways, even if you post pictures, it wont matter. The fact remains that you still need to know when they break. They are VERY fickle, and the prevailing winds blow most people home. I've camped there for 2 weeks straight in the middle of the season without seeing a wave over knee high ;)

Dewey - 6-18-2009 at 10:26 PM

I started surfing in 1962. May or may not be older then Woody. Been into all of the places people are so upset about before 1965. People had been there before me. I have learned over time that there are no secret surf spots, Only easy ones to get too and harder ones to get too. The harder ones have less people then the easy ones.

dtbushpilot - 6-19-2009 at 06:14 AM

Well put Dewey.......Welcome to Nomads......dt

Curt63 - 6-19-2009 at 07:21 AM

News flash Tahiti and the Motus belong to Sculpin....and he's ready to enforce it! You wont know he's coming

I, too, grew up in Palos Verdes (70's) with mostly spoiled kids in a haze of drugs. Probably explains your sense of entitlement.

Careful who you drop in on around Cardiff. Sometimes I lose my balance and you never know where that board might go....

The founders of surfing, The Hawaiians, have a concept called Aloha. You should check into it and maybe change your angry signature line and your sense of ownership over the ocean.

Aloha

David K - 6-19-2009 at 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Curt63
News flash Tahiti and the Motus belong to Sculpin....and he's ready to enforce it! You wont know he's coming

I, too, grew up in Palos Verdes (70's) with mostly spoiled kids in a haze of drugs. Probably explains your sense of entitlement.

Careful who you drop in on around Cardiff. Sometimes I lose my balance and you never know where that board might go....

The founders of surfing, The Hawaiians, have a concept called Aloha. You should check into it and maybe change your angry signature line and your sense of ownership over the ocean.

Aloha

Aloha, and very well stated Curt!

ncampion - 6-19-2009 at 08:42 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by dtbushpilot
Quote:

I've got a KLR 650, a little heavy for real dirt riding but it works well on two track Baja roads. I've got good upgraded suspension and the 7 gallon fuel tank as used on the military version of the bike. At age 65 my riding is a bit slower than the young guys on real dirt bikes but I keep meeting up with them in out of the way places. Just takes me a little longer to get there! Early fall would be a great time for me to go there again. I live in San Luis Obispo County and ride the bike from here instead of hauling it.

Count me in on that ride. I'm a 62 year old rider on a WR400 who is always looking for a riding partner of my vintage who wants to explore Baja on two wheels.

woody with a view - 6-19-2009 at 10:29 AM

Sculpin

it sounds like the same thing that was going on at ob/sunset cliffs back then. i was that last generation to learn to surf without a cord. 1976 and the boys would laugh you outta the water if you wore a cord, ESPECIALLY if you were just learning and wanted to be able to hang with the older guys on the beach. it just made for better watermen even after everyone eventually started wearing them.

Curt63 - 6-19-2009 at 11:32 AM

Sculpin, By your own definition, you have not "earned" anyone's respect. These are just words in an online forum. No one has seen you in the line up taking late drops in big surf. You can be anyone online if you got the right lines. But you do sound legit.

By my definition, your comments to Ryan removed any respect I reserve for strangers. So, I dont respect you.

I would guess you have probably never left the So. Cal. beach culture and think surfing is the main thing in life (boobs, doobs and tubes). I'm sure you still hang with a tribe and wear all the right clothes, car and stickers.

There is a whole world out there that looks nothing like a So Cal beach town. I could have lived on the coast, but I don't really like the culture/displays of wealth/crowds/transients.

As your surfing abilities decrease (they do), you will probably learn to appreciate other surfers that share and encourage each other instead of being verbally hassled by a local 14 year old and his back up tribe. I hope your headlights never get broken.

Instead of fiercly protecting and taking waves and thinking of yourself, consider sharing and giving. You may learn that there is much joy in giving.

Aloha

Curt63 - 6-19-2009 at 12:46 PM

I did read a few of your posts and found one in which you gave GPS coordinates to a great fishing and diving spot.

Hows that for calling the kettle black?

No one cares if you were the 6th member of Nomads. Have you been a quality contributor?

I think I've read enough of your posts and said all I need to say.

tripledigitken - 6-19-2009 at 12:53 PM

boobs, doobs, and tubes..........................

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Definitely Nomad material!

edited for spelling doobs wrong, my bad.

[Edited on 6-19-2009 by tripledigitken]

Fred-o - 6-19-2009 at 12:59 PM

Gee Whiz: The secret is out.

Yesterday I read here on the "Nomad" where many folks were unhappy that these "secret" spots are being posted, and today I read in the Punta Banda Newletter, that they are all for sale. Boy, that didn't take very long.
Read On:

19. Coastal lands to the south of us.
Posted by: "tierrasdebaja" tierrasdebaja@yahoo.com.mx tierrasdebaja
Thu Jun 18, 2009 6:55 pm (PDT)

My friends and neighbors,

I would like to share a few pictures, and words about some coastal lands
a few hundred miles south of here, where the land is dramatically
different. My friends and clients on this recent trip were world class
big wave surfers, and kite boarders, searching for the land with the
perfect waves. This is to be their individual piece of Baja Heaven,
where they can read the coming swells by satellite map, leave a
stressful California life behind; jump into a small plane, and in an
hour or two be alone with the waves. We prefer these kinds of clients,
who do not plan large projects, but appreciate the land, and plan on
some very low key sustainable development.

See the Photos section under of Baja Lands Album, on the second page
with the Beaches of El Rosario, and the Punta Canoas shots to see this
area.

These fellows know what they want, and they know Baja waves from many
years of surfing this coast; so we spent our three days flying to many
of their favorite spots. I had driven in with Alejandra three weeks
earlier, to meet the principal private land owners, and the politicians,
and to gather maps, and drive out to the water from El Rosario. This
time we flew into Catavina, a desert town of 200, further south, and
were greeted by the local policeman who soon became our friendly guide
around town. We had studied these large parcels on google earth, and
poured over maps studying the terrain, but flying over it and landing
where possible, gives one a very different perspective.

I was impressed constantly by the raw majesty that is Baja, drawn like a
moth to light constantly to the coastline, where desert and huge water
meet. We flew by Puerto Santa Catarina, Punta San Antonio, Punta San
Fernanado, Punta Canoas, Maria's and "The Wall". This is an
area where the main highway 1 down Baja is closer to the Sea of Cortez
side than the Pacific, and where on the dirt roads which crisscross this
coastline, it is fifty miles or eighty kilometers out to this, the west
coast.

Over the last several months, Mari, Alejandra, Steve and I have become
familiar with these coastal lands which span several ejidos. To be
clear, we do not represent ejido lands, or are by any means offering
ejido "in common land" for sale to Americans (who could not
legally own such lands directly in any case). We are not selling land
exclusively to Americans either, nor Mexicans per se, but to eligible
buyers, who may need because of their nationality to hold the land as a
Mexican Corporation, or even more simply, in a bank controlled land
trust, or "fideicomiso". It is really straight forward, if one
understand the law, and improving in simplicity as time goes on.

In any case, this ejido San Jose de Las Palomas, is one of the areas we
are working with, and as was approved in their assembly, they divided up
their land among their 150+ members so that among other inland parcels,
each "ejidatario" received one ocean parcel, of approximately
one kilometer of ocean front by a kilometer deep. This is 100 hectares
per parcel, or approximately 247 acres each. These parcels are shown in
the "photos" section on the home page, and then in the Baja
Lands album, under the heading of Punta Canoas. These parcels have in
most cases received their "Certificado Parcelario", meaning that
they are ninety days from full clear title, (any deal would be made
pending title) or they have their title already. They range in price
from approximately $250,000 to a few million USD depending on their
orientation, access, beaches, water source, or owner's needs. Please
call us if you might be interested in this part of the world. The road
access from main highway #1 is through the protected "Valle de los
Cirios", sporting dozens of unique local desert species of cactus,
succulents, flowers, scrubs and trees. It is singularly spectacular from
the ground and the air.

Enjoy the pictures, and if you'd like to see more I have a bunch.

Note: Our local ejido Col. Esteban Cantu has undergone a similar
"privatization" process, and we represent many titled properties
on our coastline to the south. One that is a great deal, and the owner
is pressed to sell, is 50 acres owned by Cuco Salas with over 150 meters
of ocean front, at $350,000 firm. This is a price much below his
neighbors, driven by the fact that he is ill and needs a quick sale if
possible. See the same Baja Lands album, under Cuco's Property
series of photos…

mark

Bajalands.com

local: (646) 154-3064

US (949) 309-3376

Ryan - 6-19-2009 at 03:49 PM

I am seriously very sorry that I posted my trip report. I can't believe all the drama it has caused! I love the Baja and wish it would stay the pristine wonderland that it is now, but I know that as the years pass, "progress" will change everything.

How do I delete a thread?

The Sculpin - 6-19-2009 at 04:26 PM

Ryan,
Don't worry about it.
Some of us are more ornery than others and don't know how to let it go. With this board you get a healthy dose of pee (pee?!?) and vinegar with every helping of cake.
I'm going to go crawl back into my tequila bottle now.....good night......

Oh - and as usual, DK don't get it 'cuz DK don't surf.

[Edited on 6-19-2009 by The Sculpin]

[Edited on 6-22-2009 by The Sculpin]

David K - 6-19-2009 at 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Ryan
I am seriously very sorry that I posted my trip report. I can't believe all the drama it has caused! I love the Baja and wish it would stay the pristine wonderland that it is now, but I know that as the years pass, "progress" will change everything.

How do I delete a thread?

Don't be... the negative Nomads are just sad lonely folks who like to see how many newbies they can blow off this site with their mighty-than-thou attitude that because they were there first, they own that 'secret spot'.

Once you get past them, and keep posting your trip reports and photos... you will get private messages (u2u's) and emails of appreciation for standing up to the bullies and posting great stuff.

I appreciate your trip report and I know it will never spoil any 'secret beach'... True 'Baja Nomads' take out all their trash and leave a camp area looking as good as or better than what they found.

It is those who don't read this site or have an appreciation for Baja's natural beauty or practice clean camping who ruin places.

Hang tuff Ryan!!!

dtbushpilot - 6-19-2009 at 05:15 PM

What DK said......

On a related topic I know a lot of places where the fishing is real good. Nobody else knows about them......I'm going to keep them secret so that nobody will find out where they are and catch all the fish........

If you're surfing and you catch a wave do you release it so that someone else might catch it another day? Or if you catch all the waves do they come back or does it ruin the beach for surfing:bounce::bounce:......dt

David K - 6-19-2009 at 05:33 PM

dt, you are such a trouble maker!!! :lol::lol::lol:

Sharksbaja - 6-19-2009 at 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Curt63

Aloha

D

Wow do you suppose we know each other? Surfed along side?Lunada Bay? Haggartys'"

Where and when did you graduate?

I kinda have to agree that up until the internet went bizerk 5 or so years ago the Sisters were not front stage center.

btw, ask a local Hawaiian how they feel about Howlies crowding their favorite spots. Secret surfing spots have never been so generously shared till now.;D

mahalo

dtbushpilot - 6-19-2009 at 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
dt, you are such a trouble maker!!! :lol::lol::lol:

It's my mission in life:lol::lol:......dt

Mike99km - 6-21-2009 at 12:56 PM

I liked Ryan's report. It wasn't full of all the details. Lets face it most of the better breaks will fill up on one swell or another. Some of us have put a lot of time trying to figure out a spot or a area. To come on the internet and see all the beta about a place sucks. I don't post a lot for just that reason.
If you don't think it make a difference, look at Asuncion. Most people drove right on by that place for years. I'm not finding fault with the locals promoting their little town, it's just an example. Baja is littered with cool places filled with good caring people.
Most folks a afraid to try the unknown and maybe have a personal discovery. When you read about the bumps in the road less traveled your less likely to turn around. The more people that travel down said road it becomes smother and and easier.
I am a hypocrite because I read the trip report section and add new places to my list because of them. I see a photo of a wave or they comment on the size of surf I look at the swell direction and the period reports. I still look at the Almanac and Google Earth for places to go, I just don't need the way points to get there. If I screw up in route it's on me.
I regret that it is getting harder to spell adventure with capitol A, when it comes to Baja.

Tomas Tierra - 6-22-2009 at 07:48 AM

The Cactus Groper has struck again!

Just my take on breaks

Lee - 6-22-2009 at 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Sharksbaja
btw, ask a local Hawaiian how they feel about Howlies crowding their favorite spots. Secret surfing spots have never been so generously shared till now.;D

mahalo

Hawaiians have more issues than localism but they DO make their feelings known if a pack of howlies show up at a break.

My home break -- San Onofre -- is the most crowded and competitive break in SoCal (along with Santa Cruz) but I still surf there, get my share of waves, and don't drop in. The crew I know, however, do not share Aloha, and wouldn't share their wave with their family. I miss the old days. Party waves, more the merrier.

Anyone thinking there are secret breaks in Baja, and fear a break being discovered, might be living in scarcity -- not enough waves to go around? Not really.

Couple months ago, it looked like Old Mans, Costa Azul, was breaking so I drove back the next day. 9-10am, no one out, and I was out a couple hours. Slow sets, 4'-6', paradise. Few guys at Zippers.

There are no crowds in Baja. Everything is relative.

bog - 6-22-2009 at 08:40 AM

nice trip ryan, but really there is no reason to post it. keep it to yourself and let others find it ----on their own. the aaa map has been used for many many years. enjoy, but please don't post it.

boe4fun - 6-22-2009 at 10:28 AM

My oldest brother (retired military) has a bumper sticker/decal on his rear window: "Live Aloha" It's a cool sticker, as well as lifestyle.

pappy - 6-22-2009 at 12:02 PM

they may not be secrets, but it is a bummer when posted up at a spot with nobody else around, and then wake up to 8-10 campsites because of the word getting out about the spot and some bullchit swell report. i could care less if the waves show- i just want the beauty and solitude of the place.getting harder and harder to do thanks to things like the internet info highway...

Ryan - 6-22-2009 at 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bog
nice trip ryan, but really there is no reason to post it. keep it to yourself and let others find it ----on their own. the aaa map has been used for many many years. enjoy, but please don't post it.

Thank you for the input.
Dear Baja Nomads: Please eliminate the forum called "Trip Reports". Keep it to your self and let others find out.
Apparently, that is not what this message board is all about. That is all for now. Thank you.

dtbushpilot - 6-22-2009 at 01:43 PM

Ryan, it's been said many times in this thread but worth repeating once more. Don't let a few sourpusses keep you from sharing your Baja experiences with the VAST MAJORITY of Nomads who appreciate the time and effort you put into sharing with us.

I was a surfer in the late 60s and early 70s in the San Diego area, was even on the high school surf team. I don't do it any more but have considered taking it up again. If it is a requirement that I act like those who would criticize you for posting a trip report maybe I'll just stick to fishing.

I wonder how many times this year (or any year for that matter) those who would criticize you have been down to Baja to surf. I would imagine that most of them (except woody) are a bunch of talkers and posers who talk a good line but never get far from home.

Just North of my place in Buena Vista about 300 yards there is a reef that has great fishing from the beach. About 200 yards South there is a smaller one but it's pretty good too. If you watch closely right in front of my place you can sometimes see rooster fish cruising the shallows after mullet. I know that nobody else has noticed it but I just wanted to share. I hope the fishermen aren't lined up elbow to elbow when I get down there next week.....the local fishermen might break out my headlights........

Pretty stupid huh.........dt

woody with a view - 6-22-2009 at 03:45 PM

i don't surf in baja!

a guy could get killed down there!!!

but i did stay at a holiday inn express last night in 29 palms....

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:
:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:
:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::P

[Edited on 6-23-2009 by woody in ob]

Fred-o - 6-22-2009 at 03:56 PM

I love The Eagles tune called: "Get Over It!"

To criticize a NOMAD for making a trip report is really "the limit".

How many of your friends and neighbors ever get off thier duffs long enough to even go to the next town or village?
Many people here in Punta Banda have not even been down Highway 1 more than 20 miles in 20 years.

Maybe some of these "secret surf beach" advocates should just take thier long boards and bury their heads in the sand
of same said secret beach. You cannot put a Baja surfing beach in the Smithsonian.

It's almost 2010, not 1960 or 70. That was 50 years ago. Half a century.

Here are just a few of the reasons that some of you need to live in the "now":

1. The Internet
2. Google Earth (et al)
3. American Fishermen
4. Private Aircraft
5. Long Range Ocean Going Vessels
6. Pangaros
7. Surfers
8. Baja Racers
9. Land Developers & Real Estate Agents
10. Savvy Land Owners & Ejidos
11. Word of Mouth (1000's of them)
12. Books, Charts, AAA Maps,
Baja Almanacs, etc.
12. Trip Reports on many Baja forums
13. You Tube & People PC
14. Baja Explorers and adventurers (small "a")
15. Cell, Satelite, & Camera Phones
16. Modern Vehicle Capabilities
17. Quality Digital Camera & Video Equipment
18. GPS & Other Navigational Aids
19. Baja Satelite Sea, Wind & Surf Reports
20. Many, Many more people in Baja
21. Highway 1 & Other Road Improvements, BOLA etc.
22. Advertising, in all it's forms

Ryan: I wholeheartedly aggree with dt's post, and hope that you will not be daunted by the few.
Great report!............fred-o

BooJumMan - 6-23-2009 at 07:56 AM

Whats interesting to note is that this is the FIRST time I've ever seen it mentioned on the internet. Maybe some of you others have, but, I've never seen it.

Its true though, anyone willing to do some research and put in a little effort can easily find these areas... Last time I was there, most of the roads were in graded condition. You don't even need a 4x4 anymore!

Mag Bay, anyone?

Lee - 6-23-2009 at 08:16 AM

Surfing Magdalena Bay, Baja

Mag Bay is very hard to get to and very secluded, Isla Magdalena, ‘Mag Bay” is a rocky point break with strong offshore winds prevailing. Mag Bay is the place to go if you want perfect waves and absolutely 0 crowds. Three right point breaks: Cuevas, Campsites and Bathtubs. Cuevas is the best out of the three, Cuevas is the most consistent break it also catches almost any swell. Cuevas can also handle triple overhead surf. You can only access Magdalena Bay by boat or by plane, so it is best to bring food and supplies, because there are no stores on Mag Bay. There are tour companies that set up all inclusive packages, but make not that you will not be staying in 5 star accommodations, you will be camping on the beach or in small shacks. You really cannot go wrong at Mag Bay, there is usually good surf 150 days out of the year.
Wave Information for Surfing Mag Bay

Alternative Name: Punta San Lazaro, Isla Magdalena, Magdalena Bay and Punt Hughes
Skill Level: Advanced to are you out of your mind
Best Season: Spring and Summer
Crowds:No crowds
Locals: No locals
Hazards: Sharp rocks
Wave Description
Wave Type: Point and rock reef break
Wave Direction: Mostly rights
Best Surf: Head high to triple overhead
Power: Fast and hallowl
Wave consistency: Regular consistency
Bottom Type: Rock
Tides and Swell
Best Tide: Varies between breaks
Wind Direction: North and Northwest
Best Swell Direction: Mag Bay is best on a big West
Wave Access
Easy to Locate: Yes, if you own or have access to a boat
Location: The best way to get to Mag Bay is by air. Fly into Loreto, get a cab or a to Puerto San Carlos. Then catch the ferry to Puerto Magdalena, the break is located at the base camp of Isla Magdalena.

How about Seven Sisters?

Lee - 6-23-2009 at 08:21 AM

Seven Sisters

The famous "Seven Sisters," area of Baja has probably some of the best surf you will find anywhere. The famous "Seven Sisters," which is a series of right point breaks that stretch from Punta Cono all the way to Punta Rosarito, "The Wall." The winter winds create an upwelling in the water, making these perfect points freezing, the water temperature is sometimes as much as 10 degrees colder than San Diego. At famous "Seven Sisters," It is not rare to see guys in 4mm suits, with booties; you may even see guys in hoods.

Punta Cono -Right point break that breaks best on Winter West swells.
Punta Maria - Right rock reef point. Needs a strong West or Northwest.
Punta Lobos - Really good right point reef break. Needs a West or Northwest swell.
Punta Negra - Good right point reef break. Needs a West or Northwest swell.
Punta Rocosa - Right rock reef point. Needs a strong West or Northwest.
Punta Santa Rosalillita - Perfect right point break. Best on a big West. To get completely away from the crowds head to Bahi Santa Rosalillita, which begins after the point. Here you will find a bunch of reefs with no one in site.
Punta Rosarito - The Wall is located 18 miles south of Punta Santa Rosalillita. It is a consistent right point break that takes most swells, but it breaks best on a West and Northwest. The Wall is Legendary for its power and size.
Surfing Seven Sisters

The famous "Seven Sisters," 400 miles down Mexico Highway 1. To get to these breaks it is best to go to Punta Santa Rosalillita and head either North or South. The roads to the beach are decent, but some breaks require 4-wheel drives to get to. Most of these breaks offer camping on the beach.

Sharksbaja - 6-23-2009 at 10:34 AM

Story at 11! Paving next year! Don't we all want more people along there!:P Why, do you get scared on those lonely stretches of pristine coastline? I can remember a few that were quite private not that many years ago.. Now you can order a $15usd margarita on that same beach. How cool is that!!!!!!:NOT!:P

woody with a view - 6-23-2009 at 11:54 AM

can you say CABO?

keep the details, gps co-ords and neon signs coming and that's what we'll have in no time at all.......

[Edited on 6-23-2009 by woody in ob]

Half empty or half full

Lee - 6-23-2009 at 02:08 PM

Cabo? I LOVE CABO! Scratch my head when people say they hate Cabo. But then, I know different people like different things.

Cabo has one of my favorite breaks: Old Mans at Costa Azul. For the most part, I've never seen it crowded to where I objected. It's best when Mexicans are in the majority in the water -- EVERYONE is having fun.

Abreojos and Sisters might have paved roads someday -- but not in my lifetime.

Don't hear Mexicans whinning about crowds or telling people not to talk about their surf breaks in public.

Gringoes arguing for gringo ''localism'' in Baja? Yeah right.

Here's Johnny!

Sharksbaja - 6-23-2009 at 02:27 PM

Surf's up!!

These kind of surfers scare the hell out of me!:wow:
and I'm supposed to be a shark!
:lol:

[Edited on 6-23-2009 by Sharksbaja]

Dewey - 6-23-2009 at 10:31 PM

Been to all of the Seven Sisters points you mentioned and even some not mentioned. Some are easy to get too, some are medium and some are hard but they were all fun and certainly not secret. Even been to Punta Hughes before the surf camp. Just hired a ponga like the guys who were there before me. "Gringo localism", great term.

David K - 6-24-2009 at 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Lee
Cabo? I LOVE CABO! Scratch my head when people say they hate Cabo. But then, I know different people like different things.

Cabo has one of my favorite breaks: Old Mans at Costa Azul. For the most part, I've never seen it crowded to where I objected. It's best when Mexicans are in the majority in the water -- EVERYONE is having fun.

Abreojos and Sisters might have paved roads someday -- but not in my lifetime.

Don't hear Mexicans whinning about crowds or telling people not to talk about their surf breaks in public.

Gringoes arguing for gringo ''localism'' in Baja? Yeah right.

Abreojos is now at the end of a paved highway... You may live forever!:bounce:

Photo taken 2 years ago near the Campo Rene road:

707 222r.JPG - 21kB

XRPhlang - 6-25-2009 at 03:38 PM

Quote:
KurtG, check your u2u