BajaNomad

Good news / Bad news

Russ - 6-21-2009 at 05:18 AM

The good news is there are dorado and bill fish moving into this area now. Reports are spotty on the catching but lots of life just few hits. They're a few more boats going out this morning so I'll have more news later.
Bad news is that I counted 18 seiners off Mulege yesterday afternoon. Maybe someone over there will post some more inf/photos. After dark they all seemed to move offshore beyond the island and this morning it looked like a city out there. I took one photo but it's blurred because of the long exposure time in the dark this am.

Sunrise seiners.jpg - 31kB

Hook - 6-21-2009 at 05:50 AM

Really gotta believe that they must be sardineros. Do they have a small boat that they carry on the back deck? Shouldnt be shrimpers this time of year.

I guess their real threat to dorado and billfish are the amount of sardines they will take from the dorado and other fish the billfish feed on. I doubt they are netting sportfish but it is possible that some could be servicing illegal longlines.

But have no fear, Russ. Carlos Slim is riding to our rescue. :rolleyes:

Russ - 6-21-2009 at 06:24 AM

Hook, Absolutely sadineros making lots of sets 24hrs a day. Yesterday there were two really big seiners off the horizon where you could just see their huge masts & rigging. Tuna seiners and or long liners staying out side the limit? The huge ones went north at sunset probably towards our "tuna hole". I wish you'd keep you seiner fleet on your side of the pond:P

Russ - 6-21-2009 at 11:29 AM

Noon o'clock update:
Only three boats from PC that I can hear and they're doing well after finding some schools. Also only 3 seiners in the bay so far today but the big one is still out side and it has a helo on it. My friend close to it doesn't have a camera. here it is with a 1000mm lens.

Big Seiner 6:21:09 1000mm lens.jpg - 47kB

Russ - 6-21-2009 at 11:31 AM

Here's a smaller one off Mulege with the same lens.

Smaller Seiner 1000mm lens.jpg - 34kB

Cypress - 6-21-2009 at 02:11 PM

Russ, Those commercial boats operating in your area are taking any and everything that is worth $$. Long lines? Without a doubt, and anything else that they can employ to fill their holes.

Russ - 6-21-2009 at 08:43 PM

Anyone from Loreto recognize this guy? Another friend with a camera got him today off PC

:fire:

bill erhardt - 6-22-2009 at 02:25 AM

Russ....... Yes, the Maria Rosana was working off Loreto a couple of weeks ago. You can keep it up there. We don't need it any more.

rosana.JPG - 39kB

by catch

mooose29 - 6-24-2009 at 10:09 AM

Russ have you noticed a lot of dead by catch washed up on shell beach. Last summer when we were down at our place and the seiners were out in force it seemed like every morning 100's-1,000's of dead fish, mostly all small reef type fish would wash up. I was thinking it had to be from the seiner's.

rpleger - 6-24-2009 at 11:11 AM

Well kept up for a local boat...

Cypress - 6-24-2009 at 11:47 AM

The Maria Rosana is a tuna seiner. Are there enough tuna in the waters in that area to make it worth their time and effort?:?:

Russ - 6-24-2009 at 05:31 PM

mooose29, Seems every summer there is a two or three week period of dead fish on the beaches here. A lot of trigger fish and puffer fish (deadly poisonous). Not sure what causes this, maybe a plankton or algae bloom? But they are mostly reef fish like you said and the seiners mostly work the open water. Also the local pangeros net a lot but would keep the trigger fish.
Cypress, I don't think so. Not this time of year. Maybe it's just working with the dozen or so smaller seiners as a "mother ship" so they don't have to cross over so often.
I haven't seen one seiner today. Strong E winds and rough seas may cause them some head aches when bringing in the nets.