BajaNomad

Almejas chocolatas

tattuna - 6-21-2009 at 10:06 AM

I had the best clams ever last week at Palapa Azul on Tecolote beach in La Paz last week. They were raw and chopped up with white and red bits in a clam shell.

Does anyone know If I can find these in So. Cal. or are the only native to the Cortez? I heard someone say they were called "chocolatas" because of their shells.

BMG - 6-21-2009 at 10:34 AM

I can't help you find them in CA, but I can help you remember enjoying them.

Here's my favorite way to enjoy them.

Udo - 6-21-2009 at 10:39 AM

Tattuna,
They are available in Southern California at the Santa Monica Fish Market (in Santa Monica). They are open 7 days a week. Although they save their best sea food for their restaurant/catering customers, where we are allowed to roam their warehouse.

tattuna - 6-21-2009 at 10:46 AM

Oh BMG you've got me drooooling!!!

Udowinkler, thanx so much for the info. I'll be making my way to Santa Monica next week!:bounce:

ncampion - 6-21-2009 at 11:42 AM

Chocolatas are my favorite clam ever. Unfortunately they don't keep well out of water. I think that's why you don't see them outside of their native areas. I'm glad to know that at least one place in US has them, I'm going to check they out ASAP.

JESSE - 6-21-2009 at 11:57 AM

Nothing like eating fresh live chocolatas right at the beach.

Sharksbaja - 6-21-2009 at 12:33 PM

Oh no! Never eat chocolate clams. Very bad! Extremely poisonous and they bite!;D

btw, Happy Pappy Day!

BAJACAT - 6-21-2009 at 12:49 PM

I had those suckers in El Nido in Loreto, they are great, and yes listent to Sharks, they are bad for you, hehehehehe

bajario - 6-21-2009 at 02:16 PM

Auggies bar in Loreto has clam nights on Wednesdays and these were all you can eat(free) last Wednesday during happy hour. Delicious.

Howard - 6-21-2009 at 05:01 PM

I am extremely offended by the amount of clams that you show in the pictures.

I am sure that after you read this that you will see the light and send me one of those jars so you don't feel so bad. It's my little way of helping your feelings.

Great photo's and I am extrmely jealous!

ncampion - 6-21-2009 at 05:51 PM

Howard, don't feel bad, we are leaving for Loreto on Tues. and when we get there we will be sure to have a few in your honor. I also hope to land a few dorado - also in your honor.

Von - 6-21-2009 at 06:09 PM

I remember catching at least a dozen in BOLA last August so delicious with the cheese:yes: mmm......

Russ - 6-21-2009 at 08:26 PM

Part of the Fathers Day celebration .... Almejas Brujas (sp?) with almeja renas

Almsjas Renas.jpg - 46kB