BajaNomad

TRIP REPORT- CAMPING-Mag Bay/Pta. Chale/San Carlos/Scorpion Bay(San Juanico)/Ligui

CasaManzana - 6-21-2009 at 05:09 PM

A three week camping trip with four folks/two tent trailers all from La Playa Posada. All was good except for the decision to really get out in "the rough" by going to the very south end of Mag Bay- Punta Chale. The long road in was 1.5 hours

...and the best spot was muddy and cold at the south end of "town". We did ONE long night but toured the village before leaving. Nice folks there but camping is...ah...rustic.

Of the 40 casas there, 8 were of a very upscale design

On from there to San Carlos. A great spot to camp is half way between the town and the big power plant on the estuary. Pretty cool to swim but you can and a nice beach. Wind blows all night so take blankets. Locals very friendly and helpful. Town has a restaurant Los Arcos...priced right/great HUGE portions/good service. Main drag on right side. The one big mercado is great and has it all...really rell stocked. Town is clean and mostly paved. Veeeery user friendly. We did one fun -cold week there.

On to San Juanico/Scorpion Bay. The one fancy campground there has good food at the restaurant but very pricey....and camping there now is $130 pesos per night per PERSON. The locals say they are in trouble and have jacked up prices that are really putting themselves in trouble....seen this before...duh. The one internet/surf shop/ice cream store functions well. And Tacos Cristys is the best you have ever had...can you say B_E_S_T TACOS!!! We camped east of town by half a mile right on the beach. Warm and a bit windy in the afternoons with some blowing sand so we just hid out and played bridge inside. You can buy halibut on the beach as the boats come in. This IS Fish City....loads and loads of fish. I think I'd go there if I had a boat and wanted good fishing. The dirt road from La Purisima took 1.5 hours to get in-

And I hear this failed adventure for a 40 foot whale watching ship has been there for a while

And finally a week at Ligui (LEE-wee), the best spot of all. Warm water, no blowing sand and friendly fishermen. Ligui is south of Loreto by 25 miles

Von - 6-21-2009 at 06:02 PM

Awesome pics! Im happy you guys had a great time too...

wakemall - 6-22-2009 at 08:22 PM

Really great pictures and story

TMW - 6-23-2009 at 07:19 AM

Great, wish I was there instead of here.

Bajaboy - 6-23-2009 at 07:33 AM

Looks like a great trip and route. Thanks for sharing with us.

Paulina - 6-23-2009 at 07:33 AM

Nice trip report. I wish I were there too.

Skipjack Joe - 6-23-2009 at 10:32 AM

Thank you for sharing your pictures from your vacation. They were marvelous.

tripledigitken - 6-23-2009 at 10:58 AM

Really enjoyed the report and a great job with the photo's!

Thanks

rpleger - 6-23-2009 at 11:03 AM

Good report, those popup campers look like they work well....

Cypress - 6-23-2009 at 11:31 AM

CasaManzana, Thanks! There's something about your Avatar that's sorta eye-catching.;D