BajaNomad

Classic Rock & Jeepin'

Ken Cooke - 6-21-2009 at 10:22 PM

rpleger - 6-21-2009 at 10:25 PM

¿How much does it cost to build a jeep like these? More or less...

dtbushpilot - 6-21-2009 at 10:26 PM

Kool pix ken, where were they taken?.....dt

Ken Cooke - 6-21-2009 at 10:26 PM

$6K-$10K depending on condition of the Jeep

Ken Cooke - 6-21-2009 at 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by rpleger
¿How much does it cost to build a jeep like these? More or less...

Jacume off Hwy 2 east of Tecate near El Hongo

Ken Cooke - 6-21-2009 at 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by dtbushpilot
Kool pix ken, where were they taken?.....dt

If my Jeep weren't still broken down, I'd have loved to have run these trails with all of the 4WD clubs from Northern Baja Mexico.

Ken Cooke - 6-21-2009 at 10:30 PM

...and that's all folks!

TMW - 6-22-2009 at 07:00 AM

Cool stuff

Curt63 - 6-22-2009 at 07:12 AM

Good times!

If anybody tips, flips or rolls do they have to wear their club sticker upside down for a year?

David K - 6-22-2009 at 08:15 AM

What is broke on your Jeep now, Ken?:o

Is it Toyota Time, yet?:light:

Ken Cooke - 6-22-2009 at 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
What is broke on your Jeep now, Ken?:o
Is it Toyota Time, yet?:light:

Control arm bushings are toast. This makes the rear axle jolt back and forth during shifting, accellerating and braking. No bueno. Bushings are cheap parts that anyone can install - I just don't have the time to get the work done with my crazy work and Master's Degree schedule.

Here's my current daily driver:

It drives just like Mom's station wagon did back in the 70s, but it gets twice the gas mileage as my Jeep on the street. Its super comfortable, but the suspension bottoms out on the street - dirt roads feel 'EXTREME' in this vehicle. Two broken-down daily drivers would spell disaster, so I don't recommend taking a Honda automobile on the dirt if you can help it.

Toyota? Surprisingly, I was thinking about that FJ Cruiser with a 6" lift, upgraded axle shafts, regeared to 4:88 to 1, and 35" BFG KM2s, but that would take $$. Plus, Leidys is excited to ride in an Authentic American military vehicle, so, I'm sticking with the Rubicon. On a sidenote, Mom and I are going to see Leidys (and introduce the family) in a few weeks. :bounce:

David K - 6-22-2009 at 08:39 AM

Good for you Ken... I hope you and your mom have fun in Colombia!

Baja Fever + Dirt Fever

Ken Cooke - 6-22-2009 at 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
Good for you Ken... I hope you and your mom have fun in Colombia!

I hope to take the Jeep out in Baja in August.

Steve&Debby - 6-28-2009 at 09:27 AM

Ken, wash your mouth out with soap,a Jeep Man never says the " T " Word :fire::fire::fire: Don,t leave us ken:no::no:. Ken just pull the 44 out and order a Prorock 60 ,install it, problem solved.Easy as pie. O I forgot about one small item aaaa, ummm about $4000.00 to 5000.00.:tumble::tumble::tumble:. How many miles do you have on your Rubicon and what year is it?

Ken Cooke - 6-28-2009 at 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Steve&;Debby
Ken, wash your mouth out with soap,a Jeep Man never says the " T " Word :fire::fire::fire: Don,t leave us ken:no::no:. Ken just pull the 44 out and order a Prorock 60 ,install it, problem solved.Easy as pie. O I forgot about one small item aaaa, ummm about $4000.00 to 5000.00.:tumble::tumble::tumble:. How many miles do you have on your Rubicon and what year is it?

When you dump several hundred into repairs, and you still end up with a partially repaired vehicle, it forces you to rethink your allegance to a particular brand. My vehicles steering problems had me completely angry because I wanted to spend that money on my vacation to Colombia this summer instead of at the garage down the street from my house getting the Jeep fixed.

What really angered me was how the parts were supposedly OEM - I'll never know the truth on that or not, but for example, my steering knuckle cost me nearly $400 when the aftermarket part costs $95 out of Quadratech's catalog. These guys were also supposedly "Jeep Club" guys, but they really stuck it to me. That's why I figured, there's no point in staying loyal to any particular brand when the guys at the shop don't care anymore and are out to make a killing instead. That's why the Jeep is in my garage and awaiting new bushings - I'm going to repair the control arms myself and not support banditos who are out to rob customers like myself.

bajalou - 6-28-2009 at 12:35 PM

I used to be a manufacturer's rep and dealer for some aftermarket parts people. We had a blower repair kit for Detroit Diesel motors that I resold to Detroit Diesel dealers for about $140. The same kit from Detroit cost the dealers over $200 - and the main parts - roller and ball bearings were the EXACT same part - same manufacturer.

When you have a "Cult" vehicle, the sky's the limit for some of these parts suppliers. And yes, Jeep owners do form a cult.

Ken Cooke - 6-28-2009 at 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajalou
When you have a "Cult" vehicle, the sky's the limit for some of these parts suppliers. And yes, Jeep owners do form a cult.

When you drive up in a lifted Rubicon, the repair people see you coming a mile away.

Steve&Debby - 6-28-2009 at 08:30 PM

Ken, What are you calling a "steering knuckle"? Do you mean a ball joint on your tie rod?If you paid $400.00 for a ball joint on a tie rod!!!! Then I have a great deal for you on some ocean front property in Arizona:biggrin::biggrin:

Ken Cooke - 6-28-2009 at 10:07 PM

Quote:
Ken, What are you calling a "steering knuckle"?

This guy right here: OEM price ~$350.00 Aftermarket ~$99.00

The ball joint that attaches: OEM price ~$60-90 Aftermarket ~$15.00

Steve&Debby - 6-29-2009 at 07:38 AM

Ken did the $400.00 include labor?If it did $99.00 for the part and the labor at $70.00 to $80.00 per hour to remove the tire,hub,axle ball joints,brakes and then put it all back together,$400.00 does not sound to bad.If it was $400.00 for the part plus labor,that I would agree would be a bit excessive.What happened to the old steering knuckle? These do not go bad very often.What year is your Rubicon and how many miles do you have on it?

A-OK - 7-2-2009 at 12:11 AM

If I went Toyota for Baja it would be a TLC ICON

http://www.icon4x4.com/

Ken Cooke - 7-2-2009 at 05:08 PM

Quote:
Ken did the $400.00 include labor?If it did $99.00 for the part and the labor at $70.00 to $80.00 per hour to remove the tire,hub,axle ball joints,brakes and then put it all back together,$400.00 does not sound to bad.If it was $400.00 for the part plus labor,that I would agree would be a bit excessive.What happened to the old steering knuckle? These do not go bad very often.What year is your Rubicon and how many miles do you have on it?

$385 for the steering knuckle, $275 for installation.
$130 for trackbar, ~$100 for installation, etc, $etc$, $etc$.

I took the used steering knuckle home w/me. The shop told me it looked as if I damaged it on a rock while Jeeping, but this seemed a little far-fetched. The knuckle was not offered to me after the repair, but when I retrieved it 1/2 an hr. later, everyone looked nervous. The Rubicon is an '03 w/ 106K mi. on the Odo.

I can't find the invoice, but I will give an itemization when I locate it.

Steve&Debby - 7-4-2009 at 04:04 PM

WOW!!!!! $385.00 for the steering knuckle?????????!!!!!!!!.I hope it came with a big jar of vasaline. The labor to install is about what I figured. But $385.00 for a $100.00 to $125.00 part thats nuts. Rock damage on a steering knuckle that is protected by a tire and wheel ???????? I have driven the Rubicon and Fordice Trails many times and have never damaged a steering knuckle,maybe a tie rod or two or ten.

jimgrms - 7-4-2009 at 04:46 PM

Ken i had a ome suspension kit new front and rear springs 4 new shocks transfer case drop on my cherokee 800 for parts 300 for labor 4 wheel parts Denver