BajaNomad

VHF Handheld Radio Sale

bajaguy - 6-22-2009 at 08:32 PM

For all of you Baja fishermen/women, boaters, anyone on or near the water or if you just want to listen to ship and boat radio traffic, Overton's (overtons.com) has the Cobra MRHH 300 handheld VHF radio, regular price $79.99 on sale for $39.99.

Features include:

Illuminated display and function keys
dual watch, scan and NOAA weather channels
weather alert
instant channel 16/9
all US, Canadian and international channels
select 1 or 5 watt output
operates on AA alkaline batteries

http://www.overtons.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?r=view&a...

[Edited on 6-23-2009 by bajaguy]

amirravon - 6-23-2009 at 02:00 AM

Thanks for sharing , look like a nice backup VHF radio and a good deal.

rpleger - 6-24-2009 at 11:06 AM

Just placed my order......Thanks for the info...

bajaguy - 6-24-2009 at 12:41 PM

I have 2 of the Midlands, but placed an order for 2 of the Cobras......and compare the two

toneart - 6-24-2009 at 01:08 PM

The specs say that the range is five miles maximum. That makes it more of a toy than a serious marine radio. You could communicate with nearby boats within a five mile range, but it hardly takes the place of an onboard marine radio. It is not a radio for contacting onshore family, friends or emergency services if you are out further than five miles.:no:

bajaguy - 6-24-2009 at 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by toneart
The specs say that the range is five miles maximum. That makes it more of a toy than a serious marine radio. You could communicate with nearby boats within a five mile range, but it hardly takes the place of an onboard marine radio. It is not a radio for contacting onshore family, friends or emergency services if you are out further than five miles.:no:

You can add an external antenna and some height to get more range.....I have done that with my Midland model handheld

toneart - 6-24-2009 at 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajaguy
Quote:

You can add an external antenna and some height to get more range.....I have done that with my Midland model handheld

Thanks for the information. :yes:

Cypress - 6-24-2009 at 01:28 PM

Five miles? On an average day, barring fog etc. , you're looking at 'em.

toneart - 6-24-2009 at 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Cypress
Five miles? On an average day, barring fog etc. , you're looking at 'em.

"looking at 'em" has been my best back up. :coolup:

bajaguy - 6-24-2009 at 01:52 PM

My advice on fishing on the ocean, or a lake for that matter is only go out as far as you can swim back!!!:lol:

Hook - 6-24-2009 at 02:07 PM

Make sure this HH unit will accept an external antenna, before you buy one with the idea of going that route. Many, especially the less expensive ones, will not.

woody with a view - 6-24-2009 at 03:42 PM

Quote:
My advice on fishing on the ocean, or a lake for that matter is only go out as far as you can swim back!!!:lol:

my general rule, also!

CortezBlue - 6-24-2009 at 10:19 PM

sold out

toneart - 6-24-2009 at 10:22 PM

Quote:

Whattttttttttt? You're supposed to know how to swim:?::O:lol:

DENNIS - 6-25-2009 at 06:04 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by CortezBlue
sold out

Forever? Any mention of a rain-check?

bajaguy - 6-25-2009 at 06:19 AM

Dennis.....should have mine by my next trip. I'll be at the Salon on 7-11 if you want to check them out.

vandenberg - 6-25-2009 at 07:16 AM

Quote:
Quote:

Whattttttttttt? You're supposed to know how to swim:?::O:lol:

Will usually only prolong the agony.:biggrin::biggrin:

[Edited on 6-25-2009 by vandenberg]

DENNIS - 6-25-2009 at 07:54 AM

Quote:
Dennis.....should have mine by my next trip. I'll be at the Salon on 7-11 if you want to check them out.

Yeah....Thanks Terry. What's happening at the salon on Sat. the 11th?

tripledigitken - 6-25-2009 at 08:01 AM

Time for a Perm?

DENNIS - 6-25-2009 at 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by tripledigitken
Time for a Perm?

Toe fetish. It's a pre-requisite for living in Puta Banda.

beachbum1A - 6-25-2009 at 08:52 AM

Quote:

Should be advised that a Marine Band VHF radio is just that, Marine use only, meaning it is intended for making contact ship to ship, emergency calls to the Coast Guard, marine weather reports, ship to Port facilities, etc.. It is not intended to contact friends & relatives "on shore". In fact in the US you could be fined for this illegal practice though here in Mexico that's probably of no concern.

tripledigitken - 6-25-2009 at 09:15 AM

Beachbum1A,

Your absolutely right re use of Marine Frequencies.

In many Gringo communities in Baja, however, that I have visited the use of a VHF frequency for community anouncements is common.

Not a bad idea to have a handheld just to be able to monitor the local chit chat and occasional fish reports.

Ken

One thing to consider regarding a purchase of a handheld is how it is powered. The less expensive units (like the one discussed here) are battery powered. For $70+ you get into cigarette lighter charged lithium units with a 110v charger also. Not having to worry about dead batteries may make the extra investment worthwhile. Moving into the more expensive units also gives you water resistant units and ones that actually float if dumped overboard.

my 2 cents

beachbum1A - 6-25-2009 at 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by tripledigitken

Not a bad idea to have a handheld just to be able to monitor the local chit chat and occasional fish reports.
Ken

Or better yet, since there are no vessel towing services in Mexico like Boat US or Sea Tow, you could use it to "call home" in an emergency and you needed help on the water.

bajaguy - 6-25-2009 at 07:33 PM

Please call for help while you are still on the water....if you reach shore (in the US) you are probably breaking the law by transmitting on land to a land station....:lol: