BajaNomad

New Boat/movie lor

Russ - 6-24-2009 at 08:05 PM

Well it's a new boat for me. Vintage 1980 4.5 hp Johnson and a 8' Livingston type hull. A little clean up and have the mechanic go thru it before I do and I should be fishing in my boat in a couple of days. Hot damn I'm excited!

[Edited on 6-26-2009 by Russ]

Hook - 6-24-2009 at 08:13 PM

Perfect, Russ. All you need now are outriggers. :lol:

mulegemichael - 6-24-2009 at 08:17 PM

that'll be great there in the bay, russ....find those halibut for me; i hear it can be dynamite for them there...m.

bill erhardt - 6-24-2009 at 08:34 PM

Russ...... I ran my boat cross to San Carlos, Sonora a couple of years ago and saw this guy fishing in the bay. You'll have to get a T-top like his......

SC fishing boat.jpg - 43kB

Russ - 6-24-2009 at 08:35 PM

Maybe that old downrigger I've got in the garage... somewhere:light:
I can hardly wait for my 1st marlin:rolleyes:
Maybe just a nice rooster!

Paulina - 6-24-2009 at 08:37 PM

What is her name?

BajaBruno - 6-24-2009 at 10:15 PM

The "best boat' for any person is the one you will use. Enjoy your boat and don't forget your PFD.

Bill, I think you photographed me in about twenty years... :)
"Now he lives in the islands, fishes the pilin's
And drinks his green label each day..." [Buffett]

Skipjack Joe - 6-24-2009 at 10:21 PM

What a beaut. She's yar.

Grrrreat boat, Russ.

Pompano - 6-24-2009 at 11:16 PM

Wow..

The sight of your new 'fishing boat' brought back some very good memories of my Baja dinghy. I was very fond of that fiberglass ugly duckling, which we named Barbara after one of the patron saints of boats. Created from a mold under the tutelage of an old Baja amigo, I could load her with bricks and she never complained with so much as a small leak. We popped many a Pacifico cap on her oarlocks, plus some fishing misadventures aboard her reminded me of Hemmingway's, The Old Man and the Sea and a Nantucket sleigh ride. Gotta love boats!..especially dinghys!

You ARE having a boat christianing and naming ceremony, right? I suppose a human sacrifice is out these days, so instead will donate a bottle of cheap champagne in absentia.

I'm Up North at the moment and glad to have a satellite connection to check Nomads again. Happy as a Baja clam releasing lake trout, pike, walleye, char and grayling, but would love to read about a mega-bull dorado pulling you around Sta. Inez during the Chivato Tournament.

Tight lines..and please post some pics of your fishing adventures in the days to come.

Russ - 6-25-2009 at 04:45 AM

Thank you all for your kind words, photos and ideas!
I'll give her a good bath and fix the wheel strut and any patches she may need.
I may name her "Nelie Boat II" after the 8' Livingston I gave my sister for June Lake when I moved down here. It has a 3hp Nissan and she named her because of the lightening speed on her first voyage with my sister and we all shouted, "Whoa Nelie"! Wasn't that the name of Roy Rogers side kicks' (?) jeep? And didn't he say that when he pulled to a stop?:tumble:

ELINVESTIG8R - 6-25-2009 at 05:21 AM

That looks like an S.S. BajaNomad boat if I ever saw one!

Cypress - 6-25-2009 at 05:37 AM

Russ, My kinda boat! Looking foreword to some fishing reports.:D

DENNIS - 6-25-2009 at 06:07 AM

Just the right size for the corner of your living room with some plants in it. :lol:

Russ - 6-25-2009 at 06:43 AM

Dennis, it's bigger than my living room.

Hah...can't believe I actually beat Igor (Skipjack Joe) to this movie recollection!

Pompano - 6-25-2009 at 08:24 AM

Russ, a fitting way to give an identity to your flower pot...er..boat. And Nelly is a nice name.

Quote:
Originally posted by Russ
I may name her "Nelie Boat II" after the 8' Livingston I gave my sister for June Lake when I moved down here. It has a 3hp Nissan and she named her because of the lightening speed on her first voyage with my sister and we all shouted, "Whoa Nelie"! Wasn't that the name of Roy Rogers side kicks' (?) jeep? And didn't he say that when he pulled to a stop?:tumble:

Indeed, Roy Rogers sidekick did say that, Russ. "Whoa, Nelly!"

The Roy Rogers Show, featured a 1946 Willys CJ-2A Jeep named Nellybelle, which had some unusual bodywork. It was in fact owned by Roy, but was driven in the show by his comic sidekick, Pat Brady. The name apparently developed out of Pat riding an ornery mule in the earlier movies, and addressing it with phrases like "Whoa, Nelly!"

As Pat Brady drove around Mineral City, he had the habit of
talking sweetly to his Jeep as if his verbal compliments could
convince Nellybelle to get up and go.

I can see it all now.

A mighty rush of fins swirling on a trolled feather...Russ softly beseeching Nelly to heave to while he sinks steel into a large fish. This is what happens out on the magic of the Cortez..I know...I've heard the phrase myself many, many times...faintly coming from upwind... "Alto Nely, Alto! EEEee-jole!"

Of course, it could have been the voices in my tackle box....

DENNIS - 6-25-2009 at 08:36 AM

Quote:
Dennis, it's bigger than my living room.

Oh........................I'm sorry. :lol:

Pescador - 6-25-2009 at 08:45 AM

There was a couple of guys at San Lucas Cove that were using Livingstons and they turned out to be great boats. They had them fixed up with 15hp and all the stuff, bait tanks, VHF radio, Depth finders, and GPS and they were formidable yellowtail chasers for the north end of the island. I think they actually outperformed the aluminum boats like the Gregors and Klamaths. They ride the waves very well and offered a really stable platform

Paula - 6-25-2009 at 09:14 AM

SWEET!!

BajaGringo - 6-25-2009 at 09:46 AM

It's all in the hand of the fisherman, not the size or price tag of his boat. Way to go Russ - be sure to post a photo of the first one you catch (and admit to).

;)

Russ - 6-25-2009 at 10:00 AM

Pampano! very cool! Thanks I'll pass the along to my sister.
Pescador, I'm pretty familiar the the Livingston too. Not only did I have the 8 footer I mentioned earlier but I had their Warrior 15.5 CC. It had a 90 on it and would top out at 55mph on slight chop in the Puget Sound. That's flat scary in a small boat! But it would almost track straight thru boat wakes and at 7.5' wide it was stable as a tug boat. But they're really heavy for there size.

3o13pf3l0ZZZZZZZZZ96i269c5313a0401b21.jpg - 9kB

Size matters!

toneart - 6-25-2009 at 10:51 AM

Russ,

Better heed this cliche and not put it in very cold water. :o:lol:

Skipjack Joe - 6-25-2009 at 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Pompano
Hah...can't believe I actually beat Igor (Skipjack Joe) to this movie recollection!

Not so fast .....

I got the word 'yar' from this film made in the 50's. The boat was called the 'True Love'. When the lovers (who were out of love at the time) fondly recalled their honeymoon on the boat:

"My, she was yar"

Below are the two main characters.

What was the name of the film, Roger? Who was the third main star? What 30's classic was it based on (hint: Kate Hepburn).

tic-toc-tic-toc-tic-toc

Grace.gif - 37kB

vandenberg - 6-25-2009 at 02:13 PM

High Society:?::?:

Udo - 6-25-2009 at 02:40 PM

Sweet boat, Russ. Make sure equip it with a tow line, just in case.

Russ - 6-25-2009 at 03:42 PM

Anchor/tow line, VHF, FF, bail bucket, PFD, cushons, 4 coolers, tackle, 4 rods, gaff, extra gas, dog, towels, lunch & dinner, live bait tank, solar panel & battery, flares, drift sock, kicker. Jeeze I think I'm gonna have to add a second story:O

Paulina - 6-25-2009 at 06:41 PM

I liked the original with Kathryn Hepburn, Cary Grant and Jimmy Stewart.

It was a pretty boat, very "yar".

Bajagringo, I agree with your post. I know someone with a fancy boat, but can't fish for beans.

Russ, don't forget the swim step.

P<*)))>{

Pompano - 6-26-2009 at 04:46 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Skipjack Joe
Quote:
Originally posted by Pompano

Not so fast .....

I got the word 'yar' from this film made in the 50's. The boat was called the 'True Love'. When the lovers (who were out of love at the time) fondly recalled their honeymoon on the boat:

"My, she was yar"

Below are the two main characters.

What was the name of the film, Roger? Who was the third main star? What 30's classic was it based on (hint: Kate Hepburn).

tic-toc-tic-toc-tic-toc

Aha...tic toc tic toc tic toc...shades of Anthony Hopkins in '______'? Hmm...?

Sorry about the tardiness of this reply, but a normal fishing day up here is long. 20+ hours of daylight...and scant sleep. (Which should remind you of yet 'another movie' starring Al Pacino and Robin Williams?)

"YAR"...'..easy to handle, quick to the helm, fast, just right.' ..quote from Katherine Hepburn. My boat Up North is a Yar-Craft and one I have used a lot on the Cortez...a pure fishing boat....very yar.

So....Skipjack Joe, Russ, Vandenburg, Paulina, and other classic movie buffs, the name of that movie was High Society Bing Crosby and Grace Kelly...two of my all-time classic favorites.

Crosby and Kelly reminisce of their former marriage and a former yacht. After fondly discussing the craft’s virtues, Kelly sighs, “My, she was yar,” meaning nautically admirable in every way. It looks like Russ's new boat will be 'yar' , too!

The other male star was....drum roll....FRANK SINATRA!

Crosby and Kelly's movie was based on this earlier classic ....another drum roll if you please.......Katherine Hepburn and Cary Grant in...'The Philadelpia Story'..yup, a remake of a classic.

Now..what did I win? Something fishy, I hope.

Good luck with the new boat, Russ! May she be yar.
edited to correct typo duplicate on movie name...grrrr

[Edited on 6-26-2009 by Pompano]

Bob and Susan - 6-26-2009 at 06:01 AM

Bing Cosby movie "High Society"

mulegemichael - 6-26-2009 at 06:24 AM

roger, you really should try and make it out our way this summer; the fish are biting and the lavender is smelly.

Skipjack Joe - 6-26-2009 at 10:30 AM

High Society it is.

A bit more on this film.

Who was the musician that narrates the film now and again? He's a favorite of mine. Hint: he always sings with a handkerchief in his left hand.

Hook - 6-26-2009 at 10:35 AM

Satchmo????

Skipjack Joe - 6-26-2009 at 10:54 AM

Nobody, but nobody, played the horn like that man.

174964.jpg - 40kB

tripledigitken - 6-26-2009 at 10:57 AM

and like many a fine musican as they age often they will given singing a try.

Who can forget his version of "What a wonderful world", priceless.

Ken

Russ - 6-26-2009 at 11:06 AM

Did I get highjacked?:o

Sharksbaja - 6-26-2009 at 11:18 AM

I had some cprn flakes this morning. OOPS sorry Russ. Cute boat. We used one as a skiff for years. Isn't that unsinkable?

Hook - 6-26-2009 at 11:27 AM

Quote:
Did I get highjacked?:o

No. You got boarded, tied to the mizzen and your boat is now in tow.

Skipjack Joe - 6-26-2009 at 11:32 AM

Sorry.

I hear the livingston is the most popular skiff in the puget sound area. Very stable. Gas usage may be higher than the aluminum boat as it probably takes more power to plane.

Russ - 6-26-2009 at 01:57 PM

No problem with the highjack! It's a fun thread so far so highjack away. I hate it when I get tied to the "mizzen". Really tough to type.
My beauty isn't a Livingston but a really close copy. I like it better cuz it has a bench seat with dry storage and some flotation pockets too. Still waiting for the motor to be worked on and it has been really ugly out on the water the last three days so our dorado tourney may be canceled if it doesn't calm down this afternoon:no:

Pompano - 6-26-2009 at 02:18 PM

WIND!

I feel your pain, Russ. Gale force winds here right now....in fact, it's soooo windy here that my dog has to back up to bark.

57°15'N 102°15'W

[Edited on 6-26-2009 by Pompano]

Russ - 6-26-2009 at 02:51 PM

We've only got 20mph +/- and it's nice if you're not wanting out on the water. 87º & 73%hum

Skipjack Joe - 6-26-2009 at 10:25 PM

Just this last one from an old magazine clipping I found on the internet. It's kind of like finding mother's diary in the attic.

kelly-satchmo.jpg - 46kB