BajaNomad

Fishing this weekend

fishbuck - 6-25-2009 at 04:54 PM

Anybody got any suggestions for the best place to fish.
Right now I'm leaning towards the Condor out of Fisherman's Landing in San Diego. 90 X 25 steel hull fishes 35 anglers. Probably get as far as Colonet area.
A 1.5 day trip leaving Sat. night and return Mon. morning.
It's the easiest in terms of driving. But it's a little early in the summer yet. Hit or miss on finding the albacore or bluefin.
I think the slamdunk on the fish is BOLA. Yellowtail season is getting hot there. But the drive!

[Edited on 6-26-2009 by fishbuck]

Paulina - 6-25-2009 at 06:11 PM

Fly.

fishbuck - 6-25-2009 at 06:21 PM

Trust me if I drive to BOLA... I will be flying!
But ya, flying makes the most sense time and effort wise. I'm thinking 6 hours round trip flying from San Diego.
Cost about $1000.
It's cheaper to take a day of from work and drive. Probably better to take two days off.
Fishing from San Diego I don't need to take a day off.
Always a tough choice.

Paulina - 6-25-2009 at 06:27 PM

Not for me. Bahia in 9 hrs. If I lived that close I would be there.

The fishing (for fish) is supposed to be really good right now.

P<*)))>{

fishbuck - 6-25-2009 at 06:36 PM

Ya, 9 hours is doable. I'd love to go with Guillermo in his 30 foot panga out to the big island.
Yellowtail heaven!

Paulina - 6-25-2009 at 06:42 PM

You'd better call him and make a reservation now. If Guillermo is booked, maybe Igor has an opening. His number is on Mia's website, if you need it.

fishbuck - 6-25-2009 at 06:44 PM

Thanks! I'll check.

For you?

Dave - 6-25-2009 at 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by fishbuck
Anybody got any suggestions for the best place to fish.

Adelita's.

Perfect. :rolleyes:

fishbuck - 6-25-2009 at 07:24 PM

Ah ya Dave, thanks for the help.:coolup:

Skipjack Joe - 6-25-2009 at 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Paulina

The fishing (for fish) is supposed to be really good right now.

P<*)))>{

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Paulina - 6-25-2009 at 09:27 PM

:saint:

fishbuck - 6-25-2009 at 09:40 PM

I'm leaning toward San Diego again for this weekend.
I got an email from Bloodydecks for a share charter with Kelly Catian on July 4th in San Q.
So it will be a little easier on me to fish San Diego this weekend. Plus I'm taking my son too. This will be his first San Diego party fishing boat trip.
If you've never tried fishing from one of the big San Diego boats you should try it.
It's awesome!

fishing SD

BajaDanD - 6-25-2009 at 10:09 PM

The condor is a good boat for 1.5 day trips Its still a little early for the Albies though but should be fun anyway. Wish I was going too.
I also like fishing on the New Lo'an or on the Pacific Queen on the overnighters or 1.5 day trips.
Ive fished with Kelly Cation in SQ and his son too. for a quick weekend trip San Quintin is my favorite.
GOOD LUCK

fishbuck - 6-25-2009 at 10:15 PM

Ya, it's a bit early for sure. I've fished the other boats too.
I love the deck on the New Loann but if the sea is rough it's a bit of barge and falls into the trough with a thud. Guaranteed to knock you out of your bunk. But on smooth water it's fine.
I think the Pac Queen was one of the original long rangers and is very comfortable for a 1.5.
I'm watching the fish count like a hawk and hope it comes up a little.

fishbuck - 6-25-2009 at 10:32 PM

From todays fish count:

Sea Adventure 80 (Ret from a 1-1/2 day)
19 anglers
8 Albacore, 35 Bluefin, 13 Yellowtail

I've fished this boat before. I nicknamed it The "Pee Adventure". Not the cleanest boat I've ever fished on.
I only went once with them.
Anyway, looks like 2 tuna per stick and maybe a bonus yellowtail. Right at my lower limit to go fishing.
Some of the other boats did a little better.

fishbuck - 6-25-2009 at 10:39 PM

Prowler Overnight
21 anglers 1 Yellowtail, 7 Albacore 8:50pm

Pegasus 1.5 Day
9 anglers 9 Bluefin Tuna, 45 Albacore, 2 Yellowtail

Royal Star 1.5 Day
22 anglers 13 Bluefin Tuna, 59 Albacore, 10 Yellowtail

Pegasus limited on Albies and everyone got a Bluefin too! That's good fishing!

Bob and Susan - 6-26-2009 at 05:57 AM

whats the cost for one of these "little adventures"

Bob H - 6-26-2009 at 06:34 AM

Fishbuck... for decent fishing, try Adolitas or Peanuts and Beer in TJ... hahahahah.
Bob H

fishbuck - 6-26-2009 at 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bob and Susan
whats the cost for one of these "little adventures"

$275 for a 1.5 day. About $100 more on the super boats like the Red Rooster. It's not cheap anymore.

fishbuck - 6-26-2009 at 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bob H
Fishbuck... for decent fishing, try Adolitas or Peanuts and Beer in TJ... hahahahah.
Bob H

Ah thanks Bob. But Dave already suggested that. I guess I could cross the border early on Saturday and try my luck at Adelita's and still make it back to San Diego to catch the boat.
But not this time. I'll have my son and he's only 15.
But ya maybe on my next solo trip.:cool:

tripledigitken - 6-26-2009 at 03:25 PM

Fishbuck,

Best of luck catching fish! Favor por favor, could you make a note of the furthest north that you catch fish? Do you have a handheld GPS? Curious just how north the schools are. I know a couple of days ago they were off Colonet, and a poster here got some 50 miles from Ensenada as well.

Gracias,

Ken

capt. mike - 6-26-2009 at 03:27 PM

how much for the other "little adventures".............:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

fishbuck - 6-26-2009 at 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by capt. mike
how much for the other "little adventures".............:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Mike, I sure you already know the answer to that!:cool:

Cypress - 6-26-2009 at 03:30 PM

Oh well. $150-$200 for a day on a panga, all the trigger fish you can haul in. Or catching Tuna etc. ? Big halibut off AK. Maybe I'm a troll, negative or whatever, but fishing is fishing. Why settle for less, when you can have more. :spingrin:

fishbuck - 6-26-2009 at 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by tripledigitken
Fishbuck,

Best of luck catching fish! Favor por favor, could you make a note of the furthest north that you catch fish? Do you have a handheld GPS? Curious just how north the schools are. I know a couple of days ago they were off Colonet, and a poster here got some 50 miles from Ensenada as well.

Gracias,

Ken

Ken, I don't have a handheld, but I'll try and ask the captain at our first good stop.

tripledigitken - 6-26-2009 at 03:37 PM

Gracias! First or Last!

TonyC - 6-26-2009 at 04:16 PM

Mike,

If the trip with Kelly doesn't happen for us the 4th of July weekend, I may head down to BOLA for a day of fishing. I have not fished there yet, and thinking with the good reports, now maybe the time.

Pulling my boat to San Quintin late August, and may fish BOLA for a few days also. I can use my July visit to recon. Bahia L.A., if I don't fish SQ.

Tony

fishbuck - 6-26-2009 at 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by TonyC
Mike,

If the trip with Kelly doesn't happen for us the 4th of July weekend, I may head down to BOLA for a day of fishing. I have not fished there yet, and thinking with the good reports, now maybe the time.

Pulling my boat to San Quintin late August, and may fish BOLA for a few days also. I can use my July visit to recon. Bahia L.A., if I don't fish SQ.

Tony

I'd love to fish with Kelly next weekend. But ya, maybe BOLA instead. $350 for Guillermo's 30 foot mega panga. Slam dunk on the big island yellows!

TonyC - 6-26-2009 at 05:07 PM

Mike, is that $350. for up to 4 fishing?

fishbuck - 6-26-2009 at 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by TonyC
Mike, is that $350. for up to 4 fishing?

Our two Super-Pangas can fish 6 people comfortably. Rates start at $350 per day* and usual departure time is before dawn.

From the U.S., call 011-52-200-12491-04 for more info.

From Mexico, dial 01-200-12491-04

Buy ya, four max is best, maybe 3. But I will split one with you if you want.

fishbuck - 6-26-2009 at 09:01 PM

The fishcount dropped way down today. Typical for this time of year. Not sure what to do now.

BajaWarrior - 6-26-2009 at 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by fishbuck
The fishcount dropped way down today. Typical for this time of year. Not sure what to do now.

Quit wishing, go fishing!

fishbuck - 6-27-2009 at 01:51 AM

Man, you got that right!
But this ain't cheap so you need to be careful.
$275 X 2 = $550 plus Mexican license 2 x 5 = 10 plus jackpot (you gotta do it) 2 x 10 = 20.
Just call it $600 for 2.
So I need to catch atleast 5 fish and 2 or more for my son.
Keeping in mind the Mexican limit for 2 people is 20 fish.
In the US there is no limit on Tuna.

dtbushpilot - 6-27-2009 at 07:31 AM

Hey fish, be careful about giving GPS coordinates to the fishing spot or the fishermen on the board will make you the object of ridicule and scourn and break out your headlights.........Oh, wait, that was the surfers.....sorry:lol::lol::lol::lol:.....dt

[Edited on 6-27-2009 by dtbushpilot]

TonyC - 6-27-2009 at 07:12 PM

Mike, Pops needs a trip to Socorro to hang. I'm heading down with Pops for sure....where I'm fishing....no se?....Pero estoy pesca, es cierto. Did I say that right. Let me know what your down for.

Bajaboy - 6-28-2009 at 07:10 AM

Hey Bucky-

Headed down on Tuesday regardless of what the fish are doing. I'll either catch some fish or drink some beers and talk about catching some fish. A wise man once told me, crap or get off the crapper (that's the PG version).

So what's it going to be?

[Edited on 6-28-2009 by Bajaboy]

shari - 6-28-2009 at 08:23 AM

BBoy....Juan's waiting to take a crap with ya! All your amigos and vecinos are anxiously awaiting your arrival...wooo hooo...you are the only person who celebrates Canada day with me!!!

Bajaboy - 6-28-2009 at 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by shari
BBoy....Juan's waiting to take a crap with ya! All your amigos and vecinos are anxiously awaiting your arrival...wooo hooo...you are the only person who celebrates Canada day with me!!!

This is either my 3rd or 4th year in a row...nothing better than Canada Day in San Roque! Gabriel has been practicing his face plants at the beach and can't wait to show off for everyone.

Paulina - 6-28-2009 at 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bajaboy
Gabriel has been practicing his face plants at the beach and can't wait to show off for everyone.

:lol::lol:

shari - 6-28-2009 at 10:21 AM

hmmm...:?:let me look it up to see if face plants require a permit...seems it may be a delito for something like introducing a foreign species to a protected area:biggrin:

Howard - 6-28-2009 at 04:12 PM

Before discovering Southern Baja, I have been out on most of the boats in San Diego at one time or another. I have found that the captain, Chuck Taft of the Sea Adventure (we call it the Sea Misadventure) consistantly bring home the most fish. If I were to go out of the San Diego area I would look for the boat that Chuck Taft is in charge of.

fishbuck - 6-29-2009 at 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Howard
Before discovering Southern Baja, I have been out on most of the boats in San Diego at one time or another. I have found that the captain, Chuck Taft of the Sea Adventure (we call it the Sea Misadventure) consistantly bring home the most fish. If I were to go out of the San Diego area I would look for the boat that Chuck Taft is in charge of.

I know Chuck. He's a bit rough but does hunt hard for fish. Last time I fished with him the boat was filthy, the decks hands were surly. We didn't catch many fish either. But to his credit we spotted some dolphines on the way home at the Coronado's and we threw bait. I got two yellowfin.
But I won't fish with him again because of his smart a$$ deck crew.

fishbuck - 6-29-2009 at 03:57 PM

Fisherman's Landing Fish Counts
as of June 28, 2009

Searcher 1.5 Day
29 Anglers: 1 Yellowtail, 3 Bonito, 8 Albacore

That was a bad day to go fishing. I guessed right. We didn't go.

Bajaboy - 6-29-2009 at 04:00 PM

No such thing as a bad day of fishing in my book...maybe an expensive one...but not bad.

fishbuck - 6-29-2009 at 04:01 PM

Very true. I sure it was a beautiful boat ride.