BajaNomad

San Felipe/ Fishing License/PROFEPA

El Comadante Loco - 7-1-2009 at 12:02 AM

Fished SF last weekend. Still good action on Covina. Pangueros all upset, busted by PROFEPA no fishing license, no fish, plus fine. They will not take you out if you do not have a license. A few pangueros have day permits that cost about $10.00. You can also buy a yearly license for about $40 at the State Tourism office across the street front from the Bandidos bar.

PROFEPA was out checking for licenses also do not keep any totuaba.

No problem for me. I purchase my license each and every year..

fishbuck - 7-1-2009 at 03:27 AM

Si Comandante, I get a yearly license tambien(also)!
I got mine last year at the Tourist Office in Ensenada. Make sure you have exact change.
I hope I can get my Biosphere reserve passport there also.
About $40 for the fishing license and $25 for the Biosphere.
I have(Tengo) una pregunta(a question).
Is it difficult to tell the difference between a 24 inch or so White Seabass and a similar size Totuaba?
I've never seen a Totuaba.

jimgrms - 7-1-2009 at 07:08 AM

Fish buck if you google totuaba it has some photos or sit on the beach in san felipe when the pangas come in they generally have them mixed in there catch

El Comadante Loco - 7-2-2009 at 06:48 PM

The difference is in the tail. WSB has a forked tail. Round tail for the Totoaba. I learned this in 2000 after returning from fishing the reefs out of Puertocitos.. Came in with what we thought were 2 WSB. We were informed on the dock that we had in fact Totoaba and were told to fillet the fish and ditch the carcass and scales as quickly as possible.
To add more anxiety and fear the Mexican Navy was in Puertocitos, in truck and followed us for a few miles, We had visions of jail. Had we known we would have released the Totoaba. No mas Totoaba para mi!!!!!