july 4th roosters...mulege

rpleger - 7-4-2009 at 03:37 PM

ˇWOW! Good for you....

Hook - 7-4-2009 at 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bob and Susan
both were released unharmed...

Yeah, right.

Try having someone stick their dirty fingers in your lungs and see if you feel unharmed.

Well, at least they got a pic for bragging to the neighbors back home in RIALTO. :rolleyes:

Pescador - 7-4-2009 at 07:22 PM

I think Hook is relating to the fact that both fish are being supported by a hand in the gills which is a real no-no in releasing fish. They may have swum away but they may not have lived. It is much better if one does not stick their hands in the gill area, it is extremely sensitive area.
Actually it is better if they do not come out of the water to be unhooked but that is a big stretch because most people want to get their pic taken.
My most unfavorite picture is a sailfish or marlin draped across the back end of the boat. These fish get so damaged that the chances of them surviving the scraping, scale loss, and removal of slime layers make it very unlikely that they will be alive the following day.

Cypress - 7-5-2009 at 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Pescador
I think Hook is relating to the fact that both fish are being supported by a hand in the gills which is a real no-no in releasing fish. They may have swum away but they may not have lived. It is much better if one does not stick their hands in the gill area, it is extremely sensitive area.
Actually it is better if they do not come out of the water to be unhooked but that is a big stretch because most people want to get their pic taken.
My most unfavorite picture is a sailfish or marlin draped across the back end of the boat. These fish get so damaged that the chances of them surviving the scraping, scale loss, and removal of slime layers make it very unlikely that they will be alive the following day.

Cypress - 7-5-2009 at 02:59 PM

But, They meant well, and did release the fish. Maybe there should be a little more education regarding the releasing of fish and how to minumize damaging 'em.

slammeddown - 7-5-2009 at 03:04 PM

Removed all posts and evidence of the fish murderers:fire:

baitcast - 7-5-2009 at 03:58 PM

Not a another one:lol::lol: this is the fishing section,maybe he,s just lost.

There is a better way to release a fish that you not keeping for sure.
Rob

Pescador - 7-5-2009 at 07:08 PM

I was very reluctant to post anything but was hoping to educate. I have spent a long time reading and studying all the info on release and have come up with some techniques which work very well. I get on Gene Kira's case all the time because there is always one or two shots of sailfish or marlin laid across the back of the transom. Great for pics but really hard on the fish.
Bill Erhardt of Loreto does a great job of fish pics and they are always in the water. Fish have a slime layer which basically keeps them from getting infections and parasites. It is important to always wet your hands first before doing anything and then being really careful in where you place your hands. The lip holders like the boga scale can work but you need to be really careful in how you lift the fish. The billfish foundation has a dehooker called the ARC dehooker that works fairly well if you have the right size. Circle hooks are always the best and I use them for billfish as well as other species. And we had a great discussion some time back about how to release grouper and bottom fish with a weight and release system.

mulegemichael - 7-5-2009 at 07:33 PM

i never did see the pics...richards was the first post i saw...did i miss something?..bob? susan?...did you get the fish inside the bay?

Cardon Man - 7-6-2009 at 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by mulegemichael
i never did see the pics...

I never saw the pics either. But judging by Hooks reaction I'm imagining the classic 'gill grip' rooster shot. Mexican sportfishing captains have done a good job of promoting this technique as proper handling...which it isn't. It's a noble thought to release fish, but it's way mo' betta if they are handled properly.

drzura - 7-6-2009 at 07:16 AM

Are they still catching dorado right now????

Hook - 7-6-2009 at 07:20 AM

I apologize for being so sarcastic about the release. Pescador's method of education is much preferred and probably more effective.

I especially dont like the "release" shots on Kira's site where they have billfish laying along the gunwales. I've taken to calling that a "mexfish.com" release.

Sarcasm and me, we're pretty good company..................

Leave them in the water. Yeah, the photo wont be as "personal" but the fish will thank you.

Skipjack Joe - 7-6-2009 at 04:08 PM

Would have liked to see your roosterfish, Bob and Susan.

I felt bad for tripledigitken recently who was excited about the san diego long rangers coming in with big fish. Only to be criticized by the fish-haters.

Now you are trying to share your excitement about those roosterfish and are being criticized for not releasing them properly.

At this rate nobody will be posting on this forum.

Let's support and appreciate our nomad fishermen and women.

woody with a view - 7-6-2009 at 04:28 PM

yeah, even the surfers around here have thin skin...

imagine!

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Cypress - 7-6-2009 at 04:31 PM

Fish Haters? Jeez. If you respect the fish, you are a fish hater? How 'bout supporting the dwindling fisheries of the Sea of Cortez? At the rate things are going the nomad fishermen and women aren't going to have any fish catches to report. And you call conservation and stewardship of the fisheries hate?:O

mulegemichael - 7-6-2009 at 04:42 PM

there is really a way to reach into the fishes gill plate and the fish will be safe and will survive....one just has to be sure and not press and actually "gill" against the "gill plate" itself...if you can reach in and "gill" the fish without touching the actually "gill" there's usually no damage done...this, is assuming we are all using circle hooks where the fish does not have the opportunity to get the hook into it's "gills" in the first place...did i make myself clear?

tripledigitken - 7-6-2009 at 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Cypress
And you call conservation and stewardship of the fisheries hate?:O

Unfortunatly there are many in the conservation movement that are in fact against sportfishing.

The fisherman here that caught the Roosters didn't exceed the allowable limit, his only sin was not knowing the appropriate way to release a fish. Many well intentioned fisherman are quilty of that.

Ken