BajaNomad

Rental car from SD to Ensenada

TheColoradoDude - 7-7-2009 at 09:00 AM

Buenas Dias amigos!

Can anyone recommend a car rental place in SD that allows entry into Baja.

Thanks,
James

:cool:

bajaellen - 7-7-2009 at 10:05 AM

AVIS allows travel from their San Diego offices.
The cost of auto insurance is up to $30-35/ day, in addition to the rental fees.

TheColoradoDude - 7-7-2009 at 10:13 AM

Thanks for that info!

bajaguy - 7-7-2009 at 10:16 AM

Avis and Budget for sure, I have used both....the extra Mexico insurance coverage is about $25 a day.

BajaErin - 7-7-2009 at 07:01 PM

Have had trouble with Budget before, but Enterprise has worked out well.

woody with a view - 7-7-2009 at 07:28 PM

there is something called "CaBaja". google all the different ways...

TheColoradoDude - 7-7-2009 at 07:38 PM

Thanks Woody!

bajadock - 7-7-2009 at 07:49 PM

Dude,
Holler with your plan.
Doc, former member of Cherry Creek Bathtub Yacht Club, but, found a bigger tub at Ensenada.

BajaGeoff - 7-8-2009 at 12:39 PM

Sun Diego Car Rental allows their vehicles to go to Baja. Ask for Carlos....he is a good guy.

http://sundiegocarrental.com

Kell-Baja - 7-11-2009 at 11:30 AM

www.cabaja.com (Specializes in rentals from San Diego to anywhere in Baja, MX)

Bajahowodd - 7-11-2009 at 03:12 PM

This reminds me of a few other threads where there has been discussion about the failure to have proper documentation (FM-T, etc.) if necessary, would cause your auto insurance to be void. So, if you are driving a rental that has a blanket policy on the vehicle, are you covered even if you are illegal? In the US, insurance basically follows the car; not the driver. I have to believe that the rental agency, as owner would want a bulletproof coverage. Geoff?

TheColoradoDude - 7-11-2009 at 05:50 PM

I do know that if you get into an accident and you dont have an FM-T then there could be a big problem. But then again, you are not required to obtain an FM-T if you are within a certain radius of the border and Ensenada figures into that, so who knows?

Also Cabaja seems pretty good but if you fly in to SD airport you still have to pay about 40 bux each way to their place.

I found that Beckerautorental.com has the best price so far. $38 a day for a med size/ $30 for sub compact then around $10-15 a day for mexican insurance and that's it! SOme other places where more than double that. And I just call when I land and someone comes and picks me up.

I will report back after my trip and let you know if this good deal is for real.

I did place a call into Sun Diego on Friday and I expect I will be getting a call back on Monday.

:cool:

Bajahowodd - 7-12-2009 at 12:14 AM

So, you're only going to Ensenada? Even so, after 72 hours, you're supposed to have the FM-T.

TheColoradoDude - 7-12-2009 at 08:17 AM

Yeah this time! And yes I do know about the 72 hour dealio! Most people don't or don't care.