BajaNomad

Southbound crossing at San Ysidro a mess

bajamigo - 7-8-2009 at 07:08 PM

On our return trip from the States this afternoon, we experienced a 45-minute delay on the 5 south. We stopped at the duty-free store to pick up some sodas, and it took the full 45 minutes to get back on. The 5 itself seemed to be backed up to National City!

The reason is reconstruction of the Mexican customs facilities. The two lanes closest to the "something to declare" lane are torn up. Once you pass through, two or three lanes on the left side are occupied by the military.

We experienced this at 3:00 p.m. If you hit it much later, say 5:00 when all the commuters are heading south, I would guess you'll need to be prepared for a very long wait.

bajadock - 7-8-2009 at 09:00 PM

GEEZO, to quote another nomad neighbor.

My typical shopping commute to SD is longer than ever. My trip 2 weeks ago had same hassle as Bajamigo getting back ON I-5 from duty free. Just short of one hour wait way past 805 intersection on I-5 at 18:00.

I'm headed to SD tomorrow/thursday. Wish I could get everything done by 2PM-ish, but no way. I attempt to pack as much of my needs and neighbors' items in as possible and that means I'm at SY to TJ crossing during rush hour.

Maybe I should use my boat?

bajamigo - 7-8-2009 at 09:14 PM

Buena suerte.

surfer jim - 7-8-2009 at 09:16 PM

Any idea how things are before noon?

bajamigo - 7-8-2009 at 09:20 PM

Couldn't say, but in the recent past traffic has been pretty light at 3:00 (our usual crossing time after our shopping trips). If 9:00 am traffic patterns are similar, the delays might also be the same.

Paulina - 7-8-2009 at 09:43 PM

Well, they had better get their act straightened out before 3pm on Wednesday, July 15th :fire: OR ELSE!

Or else :saint: we'll be sitting in it practicing our patience like you all did.

Thanks for the heads up.

P<*)))>{

Von - 7-8-2009 at 10:58 PM

I crossed at 945 am this morning heading towards Rosarito and Ensenada there was 7cars and lost of fresh cement being laid down. Don't recommend crossing after 4pm probably crazy there and you'll probably pull your hair out....

bajaguy - 7-9-2009 at 06:39 AM

Use the Otay crossing and take Blvd 2000

bajabound2005 - 7-9-2009 at 07:22 AM

I'm guessing Otay will have the same mess. They are "remodeling" the entry lanes to allows screening of all vehicles entering Mexico. Not sure what "screening" details but it's in the works. We'll wait for your report tomorrow Bajaguy...and Otay precludes a Duty Free stop unless you want to shop at UETA, which does not have the best prices.

woody with a view - 7-9-2009 at 08:10 AM

it's not hard to imagine all the mexicans returning home from work/school/shopping right about, oh i'd think 3pm. kinda like trying to cross northbound at 6am......

Terry28 - 7-9-2009 at 09:14 AM

We crossed northbound yesterday.....over a 2 hour wait......no bueno...on the good side we had perfect weather for 5 days in Rosarito....no problems of any kind....and decent surf!!

tjBill - 7-9-2009 at 10:01 AM

The peak hours for entering MX on weekdays are 3pm - 7pm. Otay can be just as bad. :(

DanO - 7-9-2009 at 10:53 AM

Had the same experience a week ago at 5:10 pm. Ugly.

Fred-o - 7-9-2009 at 01:41 PM

As Rick said to Elsa in Casblanca:
"We'll always have Tecate"

Not a bad route these days, especially Northbound.

MikeLikeBaja - 7-9-2009 at 07:23 PM

Crossed today (thursday) at a lil after 3. Stay away from the 2 far right lanes. 10 minutes max to get across. I am sure a lil later and things are ugly.

Sorry. crosssed into Mexico today at the San Yasidro port

[Edited on 7-10-2009 by MikeLikeBaja]

bajadock - 7-9-2009 at 10:31 PM

Hit TJ northbound crossing at 9:40 and backup was significant, likely 90 minute wait by my subjective marking experience. Jumped over to Otay first time in 6 months. Thanks for construction warning neighbors, but Otay was only 42 minutes at 10AM this morning.

13.10 exchange rate in TJ this morning.

Otay guard was intelligent, witty and kind as I presented my Colorado driver's license, S.D. registration and photocopy of my passport showing my Cleveland birthplace. These 3 documents have driven them crazy last 2 times crossing, as I lost my passport last month on a trip back east last month. Today's Otay guard acted like he was greeting an old high school buddy. He was curious how I retired early and what it's like living in Ensenada.

After gate, was guided to a "random vehicle inspection". Approx 10 vehicles got in line at the secondary area and instructed to leave our keys in vehicle and step to a corral to the right. Only thing I saw was a large truck move along one side of the row of vehicles. This may have been random or the vehicle may have a new SCMODS(Blues Brothers) xray detection system.

5 minute wait, no question, no vehicles opened and I was relieved to get closer to bladder relief.

14 stops today, including my new favorite place to get rid of my retirement funds, West Marine on Point Loma.

Successfully "imported" 2 cases of wine and 2 cases of Pabst Blue Ribbon as I returned south to Ensenada tonight. That's right, PBR used to be my standard house beer in Denver. Try it, you'll like it, and you can try it for free if you stop by next 7 days. Pacificos always available.

Crossed SY/TJ southbound at 19:42, just like the good old days w/ approx 10 cars ahead of me. Ensenada toll gate at 20:43. Home on Punta Banda at 21:38. That's right, I drove in Baja at night. Prefer daylight driving, but... Lots of state and federal police, lots of flashers on and trucks speeding ahead. Show or go, I dunno, but they were flashing their presence this evening in TJ, Rosarito, La Mision and at downtown Ensenada entry all the way to the beach at Casa Country.

Loads of stuff for neighbors "imported" today, Lowe's stuff for my house and I'll sleep well after an adventurous shopping day in SD. zzzzz

[Edited on 7-10-2009 by bajadock]

Cyanide41 - 7-10-2009 at 06:43 AM

The other day I noticed a long line as I walked over the 5. They were stopping cars maybe 100 yrds from the border and letting them go in groups. I couldn't tell who was actually stopping people.

bigboy - 7-10-2009 at 07:13 AM

I like PBR but have a hard time locating that brand. Where do you buy PBR?

One of my favorite watering holes, Joe Jost's in Long Beach, served PBR tap beer for years but recently switched to another brand. I think it may be Bush Bavarian but not positive.

When I was a mere child, they served Eastside old tap larger beer and then about 30 years ago switched to PBR. I just love a frosted 20oz schooner of beer along with a Joe Jost's special and pickled egg.

We will cross the border this afternoon and hopefully not get stuck in south bound traffic.

[Edited on 7-10-2009 by bigboy]

[Edited on 7-10-2009 by bigboy]

k-rico - 7-10-2009 at 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Cyanide41
The other day I noticed a long line as I walked over the 5. They were stopping cars maybe 100 yrds from the border and letting them go in groups. I couldn't tell who was actually stopping people.

I cross frequently and hit one of these improvised US border guard inspections a stone's throw from the border a few weeks ago. Really slowed things down. I've also gotten the Mexican red light recently. Don't know if they have increased the sampling size. I was asked for ID in secondary and had to pay import fees on a new computer I had in the trunk. The Mex official was not what I would call typical. He was young, bilingual, sounded sharp, and acted very suspicious (of me). Things are tightening up.

bajadock - 7-10-2009 at 07:58 AM

PBR is surprisingly served via tap or bottle at lots of places. Hash House A Go Go is one spot in S.D., but a "pabst on tap ________(your city)" search will provide lots of beverage establishments.

Vons always has it on sale throughout San Diego.

Note how border crossing hassle frequency is directly related to improved beer sales?

Cyanide41 - 7-10-2009 at 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by k-rico

I cross frequently and hit one of these improvised US border guard inspections a stone's throw from the border a few weeks ago. Really slowed things down.

Who was stopping traffic? US BP? If so why? Did they check anything or ask you anything? I am thinking they just wanted to keep a clear area around the border

k-rico - 7-10-2009 at 10:14 AM

BP, DHS, Customs, I dunno, it's tough to tell the players without a scorecard. Lots of cops/military everywhere on both sides of the border.

I simply call them all what they are "border guards".

They asked me one question: "How much money do you have with you?"

???????

Bajahowodd - 7-10-2009 at 11:02 AM

We crossed S/B at SY on June 25 and there was nothing on the US side. Went right through. I haven't searched the threads about it, but there is a great deal of road construction on the Mexico side approaching Otay and not all the access roads are open.