BajaNomad

Halibut arrive in numbers in Asuncion!

shari - 7-13-2009 at 06:17 PM

finally, the halibut have arrived here...Kevin reported catching one from his kayak this morning along with 4 whopper calicos he gave me the heads)!

So when Juan got home from abalone fishing, we zoomed out to San Roque where he speared 3 nice lenguados for dinner today and for ceviche for tomorrow's newbie nomads arriving.

Of course the monster halibut got away when Juan tried to spear it with the safety on...dang!

amigo David tried out his float tube here in Ensenadita and was stoked at the number of calicos he could catch. It was the first time anyone had seen one of these neato contraptions here...pretty darn cool.

[Edited on 7-14-2009 by shari]

fishbuck - 7-13-2009 at 06:30 PM

Awesome!:yes:

Russ - 7-13-2009 at 06:38 PM

Good news! hope to head out your way with my not so new toy boat & Ranger. Can't believe it's been 3 years.

Iflyfish - 7-13-2009 at 06:54 PM

How cool is that. I just got a new Outcast Fat Cat Float tube and you can count on seeing anther one out there when I next come!! Those would be a blast on a flyrod!!!! Wait, that is a flyrod in that belly boat! Keep your tip up!! Whooa!!Now that would be fun!!

If David is a Nomad I hope he will post on fly patterns etc.

So the halibut are seasonal?? Man those are good eating!!

Iflyfish

shari - 7-13-2009 at 07:28 PM

It was sooo cool watching him floating around out in the cove...hooking into so many fish with a very contented smile on his face. Now THAT is Ecofishing at it's best...beaching in a big swell might get kind of exciting.
It appears that David may be joining the ranks of fisher folk here soon...he fits right in...now if we can just get him to reside in nomadlandia.....

mulegemichael - 7-13-2009 at 07:49 PM

oh shari, those flatties look just about the right size for my flyrod...but alas, i'm up here in the flowers for the summer...roz and i will be down in sept. tho, i think so will see you then..tell juan to keep his tip up...

Curt63 - 7-13-2009 at 08:00 PM

Hey Shari, Great fish!

I took this the day before we visited you (about June 10) not too far from your place.

I didn't have quite the luck/skill these locals did. Same spot same plastics...oh well still had a great time

BMG - 7-13-2009 at 09:24 PM

Float tube. Another item on my list.

Nice fish. How long do the halibut hang around?

float tube fishing in the salt

Skipjack Joe - 7-13-2009 at 10:14 PM

Brought mine down this past winter and never inflated it.

To be honest, the thought of sharks kept going through my mind. I know the odds are small....

Shari, please ask Juan what he thinks about that possibility in your area.

Yes, fishing for bass and halibut from a tube must be very satisfying. I would use olive/white clousers.

Santiago - 7-14-2009 at 05:38 AM

Joe: I'm with you there on the shark thing - they call them "Shark Donuts" in SoCal - but I must admit, that looks like fun.

Russ - 7-14-2009 at 06:31 AM

Here's Curt63 photo

Halibut resized.jpg - 47kB

shari - 7-14-2009 at 07:03 AM

Sharks are EXTREMELY rare here...just a few small nurse sharks, guitar fish etc...nothing to get excited about. There are divers in the water here nearly year round so any shark sightings would get reported and be the talk of the town. Although last year, a diver did see a hammerhead close to Punta Loma...between Asuncion and San Roque...no one else saw it though so possibly suspect.
David did have a very curious sea lion checking him out though! I think these contraptions would work well here...just to get past the kelp on the shore or out to the closest kelp beds off our place...floating around san roque cove would be awesome too.

jimgrms - 7-14-2009 at 07:26 AM

I use a belly boat (Float tube) here in colorado in the warmer water but when the water is cold not a lot of fun

Iflyfish - 7-14-2009 at 08:36 AM

jimgrms

This is why the goddess created neopreme waders!!

Iflyfish

Pescador - 7-14-2009 at 08:04 PM

I used to live in Northern Colorado in North Park and we started tubing as soon as the ice melted. Did get a pair of the extra thick neoprene waders just to keep my voice from going up an octave or two. A 10 lb trout on a flyrod and a float tube is a memorable experience.

BMG - 7-14-2009 at 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Pescador

A 10 lb trout.......
Wasn't it Mae West that said something like: "Is that a trout in your waders or are you just happy to see me?"

shari - 7-14-2009 at 08:36 PM

gotta love a man in black rubber!

Sharksbaja - 7-15-2009 at 12:31 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by shari
gotta love a man in black rubber!

Nope, women in tight neoprene!:cool::coolup::wow:

fishbuck - 7-15-2009 at 01:24 AM

Yep, girls in wetsuits!

baitcast - 7-15-2009 at 05:37 AM

Black wetsuits YA

Some of the boys haven,t seen Misfish

[Edited on 7-15-2009 by baitcast]

[Edited on 7-15-2009 by baitcast]

Russ - 7-15-2009 at 06:21 AM

"Halibut arrive in numbers in Asuncion!"
Distracted? Where's the fish (halibut) pics and story?

Iflyfish - 7-15-2009 at 08:52 PM

Don't you hate it when the red rubber ball in your mouth flakes off paint, yuk, I just hate that!

Iflyfish

Russ - 7-16-2009 at 09:36 AM

Does that baby Zodiac come with a baby motor? Sorry couldn't resist.

baitcast - 7-16-2009 at 09:50 AM

Your legs are still hanging down there like yum yums:o
Rob

DianaT - 7-16-2009 at 10:13 AM

The lack of sharks in Bahia Asuncion is not all positive. The sea lions are quite overpopulated.

One fisherman told us about a reported sighting a few years ago and it really caused panic----

Even though the sea lions cause the lobster fishermen a lot of problems, I don't think a shark would have a chance if it dared to show up around there.

Then again, there are no guarantees. :lol:

shari - 7-16-2009 at 10:13 AM

i dont see a drink holder on that baby:no:

Skipjack Joe - 7-16-2009 at 10:19 AM

You would need a sheltered cove to launch that thing or those pacific waves could make it tough. That trail in San Roques to the watchman's house passes several such spots. Outcast sells shoulder straps now that let's you carry it all like a backpack. I tie my fins and the rest to D rings and off you go.

shari - 7-16-2009 at 10:26 AM

at the bajaboy weenie roast last night, I heard a story that some fisherman caught a big great white shark just off the beach around Turtle Bay somewhere....hmmm....so much for my no shark theory.

BMG - 7-16-2009 at 10:56 AM

Quote:
at the bajaboy weenie roast last night, I heard a story that some fisherman caught a big great white shark just off the beach around Turtle Bay somewhere....hmmm....so much for my no shark theory.
On second thought, maybe I'll scratch float tube off my list.

DianaT - 7-16-2009 at 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by BMG
Quote:
On second thought, maybe I'll scratch float tube off my list.

Ah, it sounds like the shark did not live to tell about it----it is gone, so nothing to worry about. :lol::lol::lol:

woody with a view - 7-17-2009 at 04:19 AM

he'd spit you out and you'd bleed to death before you could reach the beach, assuming you still had your legs.....

shari - 7-17-2009 at 06:50 AM

dont worry Farb...I got your back....besides the hospital here is getting used to me bringing in our guests with rather odd afflictions:lol::lol:

baitcast - 7-17-2009 at 08:39 AM

With a bite radius like this I would worry more about my body than my leg:lol:

wilderone - 7-17-2009 at 08:53 AM

baitcast - what's the story on THAT shark? Yikes!

baitcast - 7-17-2009 at 09:16 AM

Don,t know the story,don,t know if that belongs to this But WHOA!!!!!!!!:lol: something this size would get your attention:o

bajabum - 7-17-2009 at 10:56 AM

Shari...please tell Juan to leave my fish alone untill after I get there in October!

BMG - 7-17-2009 at 11:52 AM

I can hear the Jaws music now.

shark.jpg - 39kB

Iflyfish - 7-17-2009 at 01:21 PM

I got the Outcast Fat Cat this year. I have to use boat cushions to support my back as the foam seat is too long for my thighs. Having said that, it is a great tube. Another factor you might consider is that the Outcast does not have a restraining mechanism so one could theoreticaly slip off of it. This could be an issue in waves.

Iflyfish

nbacc - 7-17-2009 at 02:30 PM

I read in my local paper this morning that some Humboldt (jumbo) squid were roughing up uususpecting divers off of San Diego. Has anyone seen them further south? Nancy

shari - 7-17-2009 at 02:31 PM

we get them here from time to time....they wash up nearly dead on the beach for some reason....the shore fishermen love it as we use them for bait!

woody with a view - 7-17-2009 at 04:20 PM

2 years ago in march. "near" Shari's, sort of.....

this guy was delicious. note the ink!

100_2850.jpg - 44kB

Barbareno - 7-18-2009 at 06:08 AM

Well I just about had myself talked into bringing down my U boat Shari and giving it a whirl. But after seeing those shark pictures and now that squid...no thank you.

Something else that should be concidered....birds. Just a few weeks ago I took the U boat up to a little puddle here. It was 6:00am, the lake was calm and I had it all to myself. Oh and a couple of loons. How nice. One even swam right under me, startled me at first. But I was one with nature.

And then I caught me a fish. Didn't take 2 seconds and that loon was on it. It was fun and all and I won. Only a 2lb'er. But I had forgotten my fish chain. Just as well as that loon would of been on my tail. I ended up putting the fish in one of the side pockets. If it had of been any bigger I would of needed to put it on my lap.

So this is what I am thinking. What if I had the same problem with birds down where David is fishing. A Pelicun would be way more aggressive. I could just see one dive bombing me. One would be bad enough, lets put 3 in the picture.

Would make for good entertaining for people on shore or sitting at that pub.

Barb

Russ - 7-18-2009 at 07:05 AM

I still want to bring my "Little Boat" and play over there. Maybe Wed. I'll get the motor back and go troll. With the dual hull I may be able to ride the back of a small wave in without broaching it. :yes:

Boat x 2.jpg - 45kB

baitcast - 7-18-2009 at 07:28 AM

Love it Russ,for a little rig that should be very stable,it will be lots of fun,one problem with little rigs is working a bigger fish sitting down,but I wouldn,t worry about that until you hook him then katie bar the door:lol:
Rob

Those encounters make for good sea stories.

Russ - 7-18-2009 at 07:44 AM

This "Little Boat" is really stable and standing in it is not an issue. I hope!:o Well, it'll be easier than standing on a float tube anyway. Just not quite as "with nature" as one.

shari - 7-18-2009 at 07:12 PM

russ...you could play in your little boat in the bay in San Roque and catch halibut or in the cove by our place and even head to the kelp beds and island...looks like the swell will go down next week...i think your amiga Betita will be here too...look forward to our coffee klutch.

rts551 - 7-18-2009 at 07:21 PM

Shari

don't little tin boats go to the kelp beds North of San Roque easily?

shari - 7-18-2009 at 07:26 PM

sure...depending on the swell and wind of course....many folks launch their tin boats in san roque and putter out there...just heard some yellowtail were caught on the outside of san roque island yesterday...wooohoooo

jorgie - 7-19-2009 at 05:40 AM

Farb how about a pic showing the whole boat and some specs ? looks like lots of floatation etc

Russ - 7-19-2009 at 09:02 AM

jorgie, http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=40142