BajaNomad

quick trip report Bahia de Soledad area

MikeLikeBaja - 7-18-2009 at 11:15 AM

Took my family dry camping in an area overlooking the pacific. A block of ice is amazing (left in shade wrapped ice chest in sleeping bag) had a quarter of it left on Friday morning (bought Monday morning). We caught 6 fish off the beach only kept 3 cause they were big enough to eat. 1 perch and 2 bass. Left it up to my wife as how long to stay. I was super happy she wanted to stay as long as she did. We enjoyed many different shell fish as well. Great time. Thanks for all those suggestions. I ended up going to a place I knew and my family ended up loving it as well. Now, how do I get to sneak out there on my own?

[Edited on 7-18-2009 by MikeLikeBaja]

MikeLikeBaja - 7-18-2009 at 11:18 AM

Also got stung by something on my foot Thursday and part of my foot is still a little numb. Anybody know what kinda sting or bite starts with quick fire pain and then goes numb?

Russ - 7-18-2009 at 11:27 AM

In the water or out? In the water, maybe a scorpion fish or a relative like a cabazon.
On land maybe a scorpion. The scorpion stings I've had have been like a hot bee sting then a little numb for awhile. Over in something like an hour.

MikeLikeBaja - 7-18-2009 at 11:43 AM

I was knee deep in the water with shoes on. I dont know if something was already in my shoe from the stump I had them sitting on earlier or If something from the water got in my shoe. Been 2 days still numbness

woody with a view - 7-18-2009 at 01:29 PM

where's bahia de soledad?

Russ - 7-18-2009 at 01:49 PM

That's weird that you'd still have effects from a sting. A stingray you should know right away you've been hit. But left untreated could last awhile. I don't think a scorpionfish would penetrate a shoe. Hope fully you don't get an infection. If it continues see a doctor.

MikeLikeBaja - 7-18-2009 at 01:55 PM

Its a lil north of punta santa tomas. That reef break is not a secret. Thanks for the info Russ. After looking online, it seems to be a scorpion sting. It can be numb for up to 3 weeks. No swelling, redness, or infection yet.

DianaT - 7-18-2009 at 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by MikeLikeBaja
Its a lil north of punta santa tomas. That reef break is not a secret. Thanks for the info Russ. After looking online, it seems to be a scorpion sting. It can be numb for up to 3 weeks. No swelling, redness, or infection yet.

Glad you had a good time. It is easy to forget to shake out the shoes before putting them on---OUCH. The last one John got on his foot also itched like crazy for a couple of weeks.

While probably not a deep puncture, have you had a tetanus shot within the last 10 years? Good thing to keep up to date.

Hope you have some pictures?

Diane