BajaNomad

East Cape Dorado Shootout...trip report

dtbushpilot - 7-20-2009 at 09:09 PM

We decided to enter our first BIG TIME fishing tournament, the East Cape Dorado Shootout put on by the Palmas De Cortez hotel in Los Barriles. We went down to the hotel to check out the prize we would be winning to be sure it would fit in the garage.

It soon became apparent that it wouldn't fit in the garage but we decided to go ahead and enter anyway and find a place to put it when we took it home.

Our team consisted of me, my lovely fishing partner Jill and our "ever present" mutt Cacawhate.

I was able to get a cruiser from Verdugo's on a last minute cancellation and set about preparing my gear and rigging a few "special lures". Cacawhate was really excited to be part of the team but that was before she knew what role she would play on the team.

So off we went with visions of giant dorado and and a 25ft panga on a buoy in front of our house. There were 139 boats entered in the tournament but our confidence level was high.

We climbed aboard the Deborah Lee and met our captain Hugo and first mate Armando. We got bait and took our place in the line up of boats. There was everything form a Bertram 50 to a 16' Boston Whaler with 4 big guys in it, you could cut the tension with a knife. Suddenly a flare was shot and we were off. We found ourselves in the middle of a 139 boat drag race. I don't know if anybody knew where they were going but it was ok as long as we were in front.

Well, we had a nice looong boat ride punctuated by a few exciting moments. We actually had to race away from marlin several times so that we didn't use any of our valuable fishing time on anything but dorado. We accidentally caught a nice 35lb wahoo but I did my best to get him quickly in the boat so that we didn't lose much time.

Since we didn't catch any qualifying fish we went ahead and let a marlin eat one of the lures. There were 3 of them together and Armando pitched out a ballyhoo bait to try for a double hook up which ended up in a tangled mess and an early "catch and release" for both marlin.

No hey problema, we didn't need no steenkin marlin anyway.

We got back to the dock and took the wahoo to the cleaning table where I realized that in all the excitement we hadn't taken a picture of it yet.

I know what you're thinking, anybody can show up at a cleaning table and get their picture taken with a fish. I promise I didn't do that.......this time.

Anyway, a great time was had by all even though we didn't win. I think the winning fish was 59lbs. We did manage to win a few goodies in the swag drawing at the banquet after the tournament. We can't wait to do it again next year.....dt

[Edited on 7-21-2009 by dtbushpilot]

[Edited on 7-21-2009 by dtbushpilot]

amirravon - 7-21-2009 at 12:18 AM

Nice report, good pictures. thanks

bill erhardt - 7-21-2009 at 03:21 AM

Good report! Sounds like a good time was had by all, and that hoo is not a bad consolation prize in itself.

Russ - 7-21-2009 at 05:39 AM

Nice report David. Would have been a bit better with you in the panga at the end tho. How's the surf fishing been?

Osprey - 7-21-2009 at 06:30 AM

Now that's the kind of report we like. Great day on the water, a nice wahoo as consolation. Thanks for letting us in on your adventure.

Cypress - 7-21-2009 at 06:58 AM

dtbushpilot, Thanks for the pictures and the fishing report.:D

shari - 7-21-2009 at 07:12 AM

Rats...too bad ya didnt win the panga...I knew you had planned to donate it to Juan...we would have built a garage for it! Nice thought anyway amigo and LOVE the sexy babe in your avatar...she's the bomb!
Give peanut the wonder surfer dog a wet kiss for me!

dtbushpilot - 7-21-2009 at 08:32 AM

Yes Shari, I had planned to donate the boat to Juan, how'd you know?

Cacawhate is the "fishing dog" now. Did you notice her new outfit in the second picture? I have to teach her not to swim back to the boat every time I cast her out:lol::lol::lol:.......dt

Osprey - 7-21-2009 at 09:02 AM

I taught my puppy how to swim just that way, threw him out of the boat. Couple of times he almost didn't make it out of the sack.

dtbushpilot - 7-22-2009 at 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Russ
Nice report David. Would have been a bit better with you in the panga at the end tho. How's the surf fishing been?

Fishing from the beach has been OK but nothing fantastic. It's been pretty warm so it's hard to get too motivated. I rode down the beach yesterday and chased 25lb roosters back and forth. It is really frustrating when they don't even acknowledge the lure. You have to cast to them when they are chasing something else to even have a chance. I do catch smaller ones pretty regularly, up to 10lbs but the big ones are almost impossible to catch without live bait......I did manage to get a 3rd degree sunburn though:lol::lol:....dt

Give Mason a scratch for me...

Russ - 7-22-2009 at 12:26 PM

Sorry about the burn... but we know who to blame for that.... those roosters that have your running up and down the beach:no:
Damn, if I saw a 25# rooster I'd but on the chase on too. I just got a new 9' noodle rod and am using 6# test. A 10# rooster would be a great accomplishment. Worthy of some new stories. I guess if there were any 10# fish in my pond I wouldn't have down sized so much. nets:fire:
Mason says Thanks for the scratch, but take that sill harness of the peanut. The only thing you'll catch with a peanut is and elephant. Good luck reeling that in.

Cypress - 7-22-2009 at 03:41 PM

Russ, Careful! You're gonna get tagged as a negative troll if you keep telling it like it is. What nets? Honesty about the decline of the Sea of Cortez fisheries is a touchy subject. Somebody will just tell you how to fish, call you a dumb fisherman, etc. It's all about presentation.:lol::lol:

Udo - 7-22-2009 at 06:58 PM

Great report, Dave. :bounce:Too bad about not winning the new boat. I'm stll jeallous about your fishing adventure though.

BTW cute photo of Jill as your new avatar. Don't ever change it!

mulegemichael - 9-11-2009 at 04:22 PM

dt y jill....just crossed over this afternoon...in ensenada now with an adult beverage....please stop at our place when you pass through mulege...looks like our casa is still standing...we brought down enough stuff to clean out the taj majal...look forward to hearing from you