BajaNomad

No spearfishing in Loreto?

BajaBruno - 7-29-2009 at 07:55 AM

The dear wife and I were having dinner at Cafe Milano (La Paz) and struck up a conversation with an Italian couple. Well, most of the talking was by Alix, because I don't speak Italian. The fellow said they had come to La Paz seven times over the years (from Rome) and he was a spearfisher.

He said they liked Loreto, but he wasn't allowed to spearfish in Loreto. Is that correct? A marine park rule, perhaps? I'll beg forgiveness in advance if this has already been covered.

As a Cafe Milano plug, the couple also said the food at Cafe Milano was better than they get in Rome!

vandenberg - 7-29-2009 at 08:31 AM

True !!
No spearfishing within the park.

DENNIS - 7-29-2009 at 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by vandenberg
True !!
No spearfishing within the park.

How about electric blasting caps? Are they OK?

Martyman - 7-29-2009 at 08:55 AM

Dennis;
You crack me up!!!

Hook - 7-29-2009 at 10:42 AM

Yeah, the spearfishing tends to interfere with the commercial netting during the YT spawns. :rolleyes:

vacaenbaja - 7-29-2009 at 11:13 AM

Is spearfishing allowed in BOLA? I remember being stopped
while fishing from our boat by a couple of guys in a Zodiac and questioned about if we had disembarked to any of the islands. They said that they were with the "park service" They were not interested in our fish or fishing license.

[Edited on 7-29-2009 by vacaenbaja]

woody with a view - 7-29-2009 at 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by vacaenbaja
Is spearfishing allowed in BOLA? I remember being stopped
while fishing from our boat by a couple of guys in a Zodiac and questioned about if we had disembarked to any of the islands. They said that they were with the "park service" They were not interested in our fish or fishing license.

[Edited on 7-29-2009 by vacaenbaja]

they were probably running interference/distraction for the cartel.:light:

airmech - 7-30-2009 at 02:10 AM

Last I heard spearfishing was OK while snorkeling but not with tanks.

flyfishinPam - 7-30-2009 at 04:18 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by airmech
Last I heard spearfishing was OK while snorkeling but not with tanks.

no you can't do it in the park at all and the new managament plan will also prohibit it. This was an issue that the people were dead set against it was a unanimous vote

Hook - 7-30-2009 at 05:42 AM

OK, so what about netting within the Park?

backninedan - 7-30-2009 at 08:31 AM

It is ok to net spearfishermen in the park.

Hook - 7-30-2009 at 08:59 AM

OK, what's the limit?

And what about when they are spawning????????

backninedan - 7-30-2009 at 02:22 PM

The limit is four, but only two of the rare spawing pair.

OLIGUACOMOLE - 7-31-2009 at 02:27 PM

When we are not having deliveries some tourists like to go and try spearing. Away they go and return with a couple of little fish usually telling me that they saw big ones but when they(fish) saw the spear the fish high tailed out of there.
I just laugh. These fish get big by not getting speared. Between the mexican pangas fishing with houkas and the tourists trying to blast a fish the fish usually win! Few fish and so much time!

Martyman - 7-31-2009 at 04:06 PM

I'd like to go an one of those hooka panga boats. Bring a lot of beer and food. Sometimes it is hard to light the hooka when you are trolling fast.

OLIGUACOMOLE - 7-31-2009 at 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Martyman
I'd like to go an one of those hooka panga boats. Bring a lot of beer and food. Sometimes it is hard to light the hooka when you are trolling fast.

Maybe for you, sailor?