BajaNomad

30# rooster fish

dtbushpilot - 7-31-2009 at 01:46 PM

Just got back from an ATV ride (yes, on the beach....shoot me $12). Came across these brutes cruising the shallows for mullet. I don't know what they might weigh but 30# would be conservative. They were about 10' off shore in 3' of water. These are the type of roosters we see regularly and they won't even aknowledge a lure. The only chance you have to catch them on a lure is to find them actively feeding (chasing bait fish) then maybe.

Think I'll grab my rod and give them one more shot at frustrating the sh#t out of me.....dt

Santiago - 7-31-2009 at 01:57 PM

Heck - I'm frustrated just looking at the pics.

Pez Gallo

OLIGUACOMOLE - 7-31-2009 at 02:08 PM

Lots of Rooooosters boiling in front of the restaurant yesterday. Today on the way to Santa Rosalia there were lots of roosters boiling in front of Coyote by the anchored boats. Can't say the size, but nice to see the life!

Skeet/Loreto - 7-31-2009 at 03:40 PM

bushpilot:
Please try casting a silver Castmaster, then bring it up with a Jerk or two. If no hits try a small leadhead with a Red feather., casting over in front of the fish about 6 feet.
, some times letting it settle to the bottom.

I all the above fail get a hold of a piece of Squid with a fair sized Hook, cast out and let it settle to the bottom, then just "Twitch " it every 10 seconds or so.

That is the way my wife caught a 57 Lb Bull out of Ensenada Blanc, I have only caught a 55 lb er.

Skeet

dtbushpilot - 7-31-2009 at 04:03 PM

Thanks Skeet, I'll try a castmaster next time. I've tried all of the usual suspects from Crocodiles, Megebaits and Rapalas. Most folks that know say that catching the really big ones takes live bait.

The fly fishermen who catch the big ones are usually on a boat and the roosters are chummed with sardines to get them feeding.

They are pretty boat shy. Fly lining a live mullet slowly far behind the boat is a good technique too.

If you can find them in a feeding frenzy I think a bare hook will work but I'm not usually in the right place at the right time.....dt

ps: are you referring to the castmaster with the bucktail?

[Edited on 7-31-2009 by dtbushpilot]

[Edited on 7-31-2009 by dtbushpilot]

OLIGUACOMOLE - 7-31-2009 at 04:06 PM

Try using a live mullet with a 5/0 hook. Use 500 yards of 20lb test wrapped around a tecate can. That way when she spools ya keep the can!

dtbushpilot - 7-31-2009 at 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by OLIGUACOMOLE
Try using a live mullet with a 5/0 hook. Use 500 yards of 20lb test wrapped around a tecate can. That way when she spools ya keep the can!

That's how I've seen the locals do it. They go out to Lighthouse Point in the evening, snag a few mullet with a large trebble hook and throw them out with a large hook. They all use hand lines, no self respecting local will use a fishing rod. You know they are serious when they throw a 3lb mullet out there......dt

baitcast - 7-31-2009 at 04:26 PM

A recap of my first encounter with a large pez gallo.

Towed to sea

Not being able afford a boat in my early trips to willard bay,just next door to Gonzaga I did all my fishing from the beach, punta willard and walking distance from Papa Fernandez,s campo and it was there I met my first rooster-fish.

Every morning first light you could hear them coming,hunderds of mullet would be out front with a dozen or so huge pez-gallo in hot pursuit, the noise would wake us up every morning and if it didn,t my daughter would,"WAKE UP DAD THE ROOSTERS ARE HERE" and I would jump up and grab my rod and start throwing everything I owned at them and never a touch,what to do?

I began to put together the master plan no boat,what could I use to get off the beach? then I remembered a friend who had a one man life raft,problem fixed.

The following took place in front of PaPa,s casa 1966 or 67,I had the raft inflated and in the ready position,two outfits,one for snagging a mullet and the other for fishin,and here they come just like I knew they would,my heart rate started to climb just like I knew it would.

It didn,t take long to snag a mullet,pinned him on a hook an jumped in the raft and shoved off,I hadn,t went 50 yds when two big boys crashed the bait,an I was hooked up to a fish I had dreamt about for two years,everything was going to plan,but then he had other ideas an started steaming east toward the mouth of the bay doing a easy 40 knots.

I began hearing cheering from the camp "Dads got a rooster ya ya"but I think it was the other way around.

One man life rafts do not tow straight I found,they do slow spins and things were getting out of control,the line was heavy enough so no problem there,and as the man said "getting towed to sea by a large fish what a hoot"

To shorten the story,after he cleared the point he headed south with me a couple hunderd yds behind,sharp rocks an fishing line do not mix! and that was that.

I will never forget that morning and think of it often.
BAITCAST

Hook - 7-31-2009 at 04:28 PM

Ask around and see if anyone has a Ranger lure.

baitcast - 7-31-2009 at 04:43 PM

I,ve read about the ranger for years,odd looking,red and white, and when used the guys skip them,the secoud it hits they start cranking rod tip up,ultra fast,flat rock that sucker.

Acme or kast/master makes a large white spoon,two red slashs one on each side of the head,use the same routine,for that matter use the K/M for any beach fishin a real winner.
Rob
The red you must apply

[Edited on 7-31-2009 by baitcast]

[Edited on 8-1-2009 by baitcast]

Skeet/Loreto - 7-31-2009 at 05:39 PM

Yes Castmaster with the bucktail.

Another way where I was successful right North of "Doctors Point" was a "Straggler Jig".. Orange and about 7 inchs long... Go out to about 20 yards over the drop off, cast into the shallow water where the fish are and start moving the Jig toward the deeper water.

Maybe hard to find a Jig. Old Len Straggler only sold them for about 5 years.

Skeet