BajaNomad

Baja 709-9: DAY 8: Going Home, but not until we meet Mama Espinoza, find another lost mission site, avoid a military...

David K - 8-2-2009 at 12:03 AM

DAY 8 (Saturday July 25)

This is continued from 709-8 at: http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=40486

Like all the others on our Baja vacation, Day 8 was great! We woke up very rested thanks to the quiet and comfortable luxury room at Baja Cactus Motel. When you want to sleep in, always get an upstairs room, no matter where.

We decided to eat at Mama Espinoza’s (next door) as we have had breakfast there in the past, and it was fine. Mama’s daughter, Roli had been running things. Well, this time I am sure glad we did because we found a totally new restaurant supervised by Roli’s son-in-law, Gerardo. The inside was re-organized, the waitresses were on the floor and attentive and the food arrived fast and it was good… very good. I took several photos. Breakfast for both of us was $15, with tip.

A big surprise for us was when we were invited to meet with Anita (Mama) Espinoza when I asked how she was doing. We were taken around to her private residence where she was knitting… Amazing, and she was sharp as a tack. I had never met with Doña Anita despite my dozens of trips to and through El Rosario since the first in 1966… that I could recall. I mentioned how our friend Roy (The Squarecircle) spoke fondly of her and she remembered him… as she does so many details. Her famous saying she even quoted: “Bad roads bring good people… Good roads bring ALL kinds of people!”

We got her new book, and she autographed it to us… What a special thrill from someone who is almost 102! We wished each other good health and a promise to meet on ‘the other side’ if not again on this earth.

We topped the gas tank at Antonio’s Pemex station: 51.95 liters, 385 pesos, 12.70 pesos per dollar, 240 miles traveled. That translates to $2.21 per gallon and 17.5 miles per gallon. We were on the road at 11:00 am and soon had a short stop for the military checkpoint on the mesa.

Except for about 30 kilometers of new, wider road, this is what Highway One looks like from San Quintin south! Just where are those bicycle tourists going to fit when two trucks are passing each other?

Since it was a beautiful day, and we were in no hurry to leave Baja, one more mystery awaited finding!

The mission of Santo Tomas was first located west of the present town, 3.9 miles from Highway One, off the La Bocana/ Puerto Santo Tomas road, by an oak grove campground. The mission’s final location was just east of Highway One, next to the El Palomar campground. The debate among historians is if there was a third site between the first and final site or if that third location was the first site. I was originally in the ‘two site camp’ based on the nearness of the two to each other. Once I got my hands on my own copy of the valuable ‘Missions and Missionaries of California’ by Fr. Zephyrin Engrlhardt 1929 for research and to update my mission web pages http://vivabaja.com/missions1 I was convinced there were three sites for the Santo Tomas mission.

We had visited and photographed the first and last site in November of 2005 http://vivabaja.com/1105 but at that time I was under the impression that the questionable second or middle site was destroyed by road building (per Ed Vernon and INAH).

This day, we had time to look over the area where I knew the middle site was or had been. I had seen old photographs that showed the background mountains to assist me in this quest! I didn’t have those photos with me, but I remembered what they showed.

1949 photo by Marquis McDonald

~1998 photo by Kevin Clough

2009 photo by me!

Eureka! It was 2.8 miles west of Highway One (1.1 miles east of the first site) in the center of a pepper field north and higher up from the La Bocana road. Just a clump of dirt that stands out from the surrounding soil with rocks. See the photos and note the background. GPS (WGS84): N31º34’24” W116º27’59” or 31º34.41’ 116º27.98’

Intersting that nothing grows on the mission remains (adobe) even though they planted and irrigated over the top of it?

This photo is from the southedge of the pepper field looking north.

Wow what a great day this has been… all 8 days have been! Elizabeth asked to see if we might finally find the Half Way House open for dinner. Heck yes, it was worth a shot (the past two visits found it closed or reserved for a wedding).

A longer line at the checkpoint above the Santo Tomas valley then through Ensenada to the toll road where a giant line of vehicles had grouped because of a checkpoint on the other side of the toll gate. We had been through checkpoints at or near Loreto, San Ignacio, El Tomatal, El Rosario, Santo Tomas already on this trip and I had enough… I made a U-turn through the cones, didn’t get shot at and went to the free road to Tijuana. You know what? It was a great road with almost no traffic.

We arrived at Medio Camino to find Chef Johnny open for business at the Half Way House… Dinner was great. It was still early; plenty of daylight we used the Blvd. 2000 to get to Tecate and it was great. Lot’s of cars and trucks now, no more intersections/ stop signs. We got to the Tecate borderline at 7:07 pm and were in the USA in 33 minutes.

EIGHT GREAT DAYS IN BAJA (when can we go back again?)!

[Edited on 8-2-2009 by David K]

JESSE - 8-2-2009 at 12:12 AM

Beautiful Dave. nice trip.

David K - 8-2-2009 at 12:15 AM

Thanks Jesse... Soup for me?:biggrin:

Santo Tomas Mission Sites, from space

David K - 8-2-2009 at 12:58 AM

High View, all three sites (Site 3 is in town, next to Hwy. 1)

Closer view of sites 1 & 2

Closest view of site 2. The mound in the middle of the pepper fiels is easily seen.

MarkR. - 8-2-2009 at 01:35 AM

Very cool David!!

Years from now people will talk about David K. , in regard to Baja/Baja Mission history, with the same reverence give to Mama Espinoz.

...And another aside; one can't do a Googel search -- on almost any Baja subject -- without David K coming up some where on the first three or four pages.

[Edited on 8-2-2009 by MarkR.]

Barry A. - 8-2-2009 at 06:45 AM

Bravo David------------what a great report, and congratulations for the excellent results from your field research and patience in solving historical Baja mysteries, and your willingness to share the info and photos with us.

This is truly what the NOMADS BOARD is all about, to me at least.

I applaud you, and Elizabeth also.

Barry

Corky1 - 8-2-2009 at 06:45 AM

Excellent 8 day report. Only one mistake I could find!!!

You drove in the dark to Mama's.

Thank you for all the info.

Corky:lol::lol:

woody with a view - 8-2-2009 at 06:50 AM

when we passed southbound at the santotomas check 2 fridays ago the line must have been 75+ vehicles. we laughed and thanked Neptune that we were headed the other way. sunday it was 5 vehicles.

David K - 8-2-2009 at 10:23 AM

Gracias!

Glad some of you find these details either intersting or helpful. It was writers before me who shared what they saw or researched that inspired me to continue the search for the truth and facts on this period in Old California History.

David K - 8-2-2009 at 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Corky1
Excellent 8 day report. Only one mistake I could find!!!

You drove in the dark to Mama's.

Thank you for all the info.

Corky:lol::lol:

Well, we drove to Baja Cactus because we had reserved a room and they were expecting us.

Mama's was for breakfast the next morning.

Dark? I don't do dark!

:lol::lol::lol:

Bob H - 8-2-2009 at 11:04 AM

Wow, David... a great trip report indeed. I love the photos you took of Mamma E! I can't believe that she doesn't even wear glasses!

Your trip reports are supurb and contain lots of Baja history.

Bob H

desertcpl - 8-2-2009 at 11:07 AM

david k,,, truly great report and photos,, you really need to make this a full time endeavor,, like Ray Cannon did, I bet you could come up with alot of sponsers and make you and Elizabeth alot of money also, think of the fun you would have doing the thing that you have a passion for

David K - 8-2-2009 at 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bob H
Wow, David... a great trip report indeed. I love the photos you took of Mamma E! I can't believe that she doesn't even wear glasses!

Your trip reports are supurb and contain lots of Baja history.

Bob H

Thanks Bob. Mama has vision in only one eye.

David K - 8-2-2009 at 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by desertcpl
david k,,, truly great report and photos,, you really need to make this a full time endeavor,, like Ray Cannon did, I bet you could come up with alot of sponsers and make you and Elizabeth alot of money also, think of the fun you would have doing the thing that you have a passion for

That would be great... I wouldn't need to be working in dirt anymore, installing sprinklers and drip systems!

:light:

Thanks for your enthusiasm!

Cypress - 8-2-2009 at 11:54 AM

David K., Thanks for sharing the adventures of you and your lady.

TacoFeliz - 8-2-2009 at 01:24 PM

Thanks again David. Nice report. As the earlier poster mentioned, for me this is what Nomads is all about.

Cheers,
Jay

:yes:___:yes:_____:yes:

David K - 8-2-2009 at 02:58 PM

Thanks Jay and Cypress!

I do have more photos... but, posted what showed the most for a trip report... You guys don't care about the pictures of my wife and I kissing, right? :rolleyes:

fdt - 8-2-2009 at 03:12 PM

David, thank you very much for your report, it was a great 8 days. Great to see the historic picture of you and Mama Espinoza. Priceless!

Cypress - 8-2-2009 at 03:13 PM

Post 'em if'en you want to.:D

TacoFeliz - 8-2-2009 at 03:19 PM

You mean MORE pictures of you and your wife kissing? Just kiddin'.

:o :lol: :yes:

LisaR. - 8-2-2009 at 05:02 PM

Thanks for the wonderful report and pictures, David!

I think Mark and I narrowly missed meeting you on several occasions...most notably in El Rosario on Friday night. We tried to get a room at Baja Cactus, but it was full. We went down to Turista, and there met Phil C. and Russ. We had a "parking lot c-cktail party" with them. What great guys! They said they were expecting you to turn up any time. We had hoped to meet you, both to thank you for all the excellent advice you gave before our trip, and to pick your brain on seeing missions on the rest of the way north. Hope to meet you on another journey!

Howard - 8-2-2009 at 05:46 PM

Dave and Mrs. Dave:

In my opinion, you have been elevated from Platinum Nomad to pretty darn close to Royalty! I probably cannot get down to BCS until October and I take my mental vacation through the both of you people’s eyes and ears!

Thank you for thanking the time and effort to share your experiences.

BAJACAT - 8-2-2009 at 09:10 PM

David why Tecate, umm besides the 33 minute wait time?

David K - 8-2-2009 at 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BAJACAT
David why Tecate, umm besides the 33 minute wait time?

Hi Jose, we usually come back north through Tecate. The wait is usually shorter, fewer people trying to sell you stuff and just 2 lines of cars instead of 16. It also avoids almost any 'city' traffic that is impossible to avoid with Tijuana or Otay.

I would rather be driving an hour than waiting in a line for that same hour.

David K - 8-2-2009 at 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Howard
Dave and Mrs. Dave:

In my opinion, you have been elevated from Platinum Nomad to pretty darn close to Royalty! I probably cannot get down to BCS until October and I take my mental vacation through the both of you people’s eyes and ears!

Thank you for thanking the time and effort to share your experiences.

Thank you Howard, that is so very nice of you to say!

Baja has so much to see and do... I wish we were going back, tomorrow!

David K - 8-2-2009 at 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by LisaR.
Thanks for the wonderful report and pictures, David!

I think Mark and I narrowly missed meeting you on several occasions...most notably in El Rosario on Friday night. We tried to get a room at Baja Cactus, but it was full. We went down to Turista, and there met Phil C. and Russ. We had a "parking lot c-cktail party" with them. What great guys! They said they were expecting you to turn up any time. We had hoped to meet you, both to thank you for all the excellent advice you gave before our trip, and to pick your brain on seeing missions on the rest of the way north. Hope to meet you on another journey!

How about that?!!

We reserved a room at Baja Cactus for that night and we rolled into town just after 10 pm. You guys had probably all retired by then... There were a lot a cars parked in front of Ed's, across the street from Turista Motel... Hope to see you another time! Phil C and we live a few miles from each other in north SD county... I have a 'Baja theme' home... Lot's of books and maps if you want to do some research... and I will be getting a fresh keg of Mexican beer for the kegerator, soon... Baja Nomads need only u2u!

Thanks!

David K - 8-2-2009 at 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by fdt
David, thank you very much for your report, it was a great 8 days. Great to see the historic picture of you and Mama Espinoza. Priceless!

Thank you Ferna!

arrowhead - 8-3-2009 at 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
DAY 8 (Saturday July 25)

We decided to eat at Mama Espinoza’s (next door) as we have had breakfast there in the past, and it was fine. Mama’s daughter, Roli had been running things. Well, this time I am sure glad we did because we found a totally new restaurant supervised by Roli’s son-in-law, Gerardo. The inside was re-organized, the waitresses were on the floor and attentive and the food arrived fast and it was good… very good. I took several photos. Breakfast for both of us was $15, with tip.

David, two Grand Slam breakfasts at any Denny's are less than $15. What is the big deal?

David K - 8-4-2009 at 07:47 AM

We wouldn't go to a Denny's on a vacation... in fact, we wouldn't go to Denny's off a vacation, either!

Take a look at the photos... Have you ever been in a Denny's that has so much to see about Baja?

GeoRock - 8-11-2009 at 01:38 AM

David, great report/fun to read. When are you going again? I want to know when and where.

It was great to see you both at Josh's party. Next visit stay longer!

If you ever can handle going north....you know where to find us.

David K - 8-11-2009 at 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by GeoRock
David, great report/fun to read. When are you going again? I want to know when and where.

It was great to see you both at Josh's party. Next visit stay longer!

If you ever can handle going north....you know where to find us.

Thanks Suzanne... Good to see your family last weekend as well! We would really like to visit you area... Are there any 'lost missions' up there? LOL