BajaNomad

everybody's eating Halibut in Asuncion

shari - 8-3-2009 at 07:22 AM

I have good news to report about net fishing in Asuncion. This time of year, the halibut come in to the shallows close to shore to lay their eggs. Every day families are catching some to eat. Last week some pangas were seen stringing nets very close to shore right in town. Many people reported them to Fisheries....and I am pleased to say that they were stopped. I spoke to the fisheries officer and he agreed that the shore halibut should be left to the family fishers and tourists. Nice to see enforcement.

Yesterday on our sunday outing to our secret beach...juan kept catching little ones but kept at it and finally got a keeper...ceviche today!
Sr.Kevin got some nice ones from his kayak too but the big one jumped off his bow before he could get it in the hold...dang...why do the big ones always get away?

The weird thing was that the water was colder than it was a couple weeks ago...go figure! This time of year we always feel like we are being picked on by the cold water gods...come on Neptune...give us a break and some warm water so the yellowtail head in....I'm dying for some sashimi! Check out today's water temp map...the little friggin purple square is right on our beach...what's wth that??Well..i guess it's our blessing as it keeps the air temps lovely anyway.

a couple more photos of the beach seeing as I couldnt boogie board...the current was strong and waves too close together and water chilly...sheesh...

this is the arroyo leading to the beach

[Edited on 8-3-2009 by shari]

woody with a view - 8-3-2009 at 08:12 AM

life is good!

Hook - 8-3-2009 at 09:01 AM

Fishery experts in the US have determined that the length at which a California halibut (the same species that exists in Baja California on the Pacific side) has had a chance to reproduce is 22 inches in length. So, in theory, releasing halibut under that length is beneficial for the fishery.

Of course, there are no size limits on halibut in Mexico but sometimes it's good looking beyond the letter of the law. It cant hurt to inform the locals, Shari, and let them make their own decison.

I love halibut. The catching and the eating.

My favorite form of fishing in SoCal was drifting for them with live bait and a trap rig, baseball on the radio, Sunday paper strewn about the stern., waiting for the bump of a small one or the voracious strike of a big un.

Bob H - 8-3-2009 at 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Hook

My favorite form of fishing in SoCal was drifting for them with live bait and a trap rig, baseball on the radio, Sunday paper strewn about the stern, waiting for the bump of a small one or the voracious strike of a big un.

Hook, you have a way with words, my friend.

Shari, would love to know where that "secret beach" is... Bob H

Martyman - 8-3-2009 at 12:28 PM

Is the halibut we caught in the Sea of Cortez (BoLA) a California Halibut too? Do you know the genus and species?
Thanks

fishbuck - 8-4-2009 at 11:17 AM

Another perfect day in Paradise!
Don't worry Shari those Jurel will be there any day now.

Bajaboy - 8-4-2009 at 08:01 PM

I saw a number of kids keeping very small halibut while we were in Asuncion. I didn't want to point this out earlier but since size was brought up earlier in the post, I figured I point out my observation.

fishbuck - 8-4-2009 at 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bajaboy
I saw a number of kids keeping very small halibut while we were in Asuncion. I didn't want to point this out earlier but since size was brought up earlier in the post, I figured I point out my observation.

Maybe they had families to feed!:cool:

bajabird - 8-5-2009 at 08:53 AM

I will be making my first trip to the bay this weekend..... save a fish or few for me.

shari - 8-5-2009 at 09:14 AM

Hola pajaro! make sure you come by for a cold one out at the point and we can help ya get oriented...or maybe disoriented:lol:

amirravon - 8-5-2009 at 10:03 PM

hi shari

did Joan try to look for kelp peddys 12 - 15 mile offshore for dorado and yelow tail ?

i fished the ensenada area last weekend and scored big on the yellow tail/fin
and dorado. water temp. 64- 68

please keep me updated. miss you guys

shari - 8-6-2009 at 06:18 AM

thanks for that Amir...hmmm...that's the water temp here too...mid 60's but I know they didnt go that far out...he's going fishing tomorrow so I'll mention that...no YT inshore yet but that will change any day now...it better anyway...we need those yellows for the tournament!

fishing

bajabird - 8-6-2009 at 08:27 AM

i hope to arrive down there tomorrow. i will be ready to be disoriented.... :bounce: