BajaNomad

Bahia de Los Angeles Report Aug. 6th-ish

Paulina - 8-6-2009 at 11:54 AM

I say "6th -ish" as it is hard to remember the day and date as they seem to melt together. Here is just a quick report from Bahia de Los Angeles...

The 6.9 earthquake we experienced didn't effect the fishing as Yellowtail are being pulled up in the 10 - 18 lb average. Dorado are in, hanging out in the channel off of Guadalupe / 7 mile reef. There is an abundance of Sargasso patties teaming with life. Live bait has been pretty sporadic, but large schools of Bonita are easy to catch to make strip bait.

The weather has been in the mid to high 90s with an average of 40 - 70% humidity. The water temp. was reported to be 82 in the channel.

The town has been pretty quiet other than the few weekend warriors that come through. Whale sharks are plenty.

Life is good in Bahia. We will be here till Aug. 9th when we head back to Punta Banda. For something that is difficult to account for, time is going by too quickly.

P<*)))>{

fishbuck - 8-6-2009 at 12:04 PM

AWESOME!!!

woody with a view - 8-6-2009 at 12:11 PM

living the dream!!!!

hey Buck, ready to fly?

DENNIS - 8-6-2009 at 12:15 PM

Tell Dern to zip up his pants. :lol:

Paulina - 8-6-2009 at 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
Tell Dern to zip up his pants. :lol:

Ohhh Dennis, you have no idea the extent of that "area". Dern is allergic to bee stings. Needless to say, we had quite an awakening from our afternoon siesta one day. Things were quite blown out of proportion for a couple of days. All fishing was called to a halt ( and everything else for that matter)

To all the dirty old ladies who frequent this board; I will NOT post photos of that dreaded bee sting either. Get over it. :P

:lol: P<*)))>{ Just another day in the life.

DENNIS - 8-6-2009 at 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Paulina
Ohhh Dennis, you have no idea the extent of that "area".

:lol::lol: Nor do I want to know. Thanks.

Von - 8-6-2009 at 02:40 PM

Wow! awesome fish! Man i sure hope ill make it down there this yr.

bill erhardt - 8-6-2009 at 05:44 PM

That is a great picture of the whale shark!

flyfishinPam - 8-6-2009 at 07:02 PM

Yes LOVE the whale shark photo!

Oggie - 8-6-2009 at 07:53 PM

Paulina,

Beautiful pictures! Seeing them makes us miss our house in BOLA. Looking forward to meeting on one of our trips. I was in Lane McDoald's biology class in 1982.

[Edited on 8-7-2009 by Oggie]

Russ - 8-6-2009 at 08:21 PM

What a wonderful report! Thanks.
Question? Do the seiners come in there and set their nets when the fishing gets good like here?

Paulina - 8-10-2009 at 07:41 PM

Oggie,

I was in Lane's class "Project Genesis" in 1981. Little did I know that first trip to Bahia would have such an impact on me, such that I would never want to leave. Zona 2, is that on Ocana land or Angelitos?

Our place is south, in Zona 5.

Russ,

The seiners used to come in years ago, marching up the Sea side by side, lighting up the channel at nights. I haven't seen any for quite some time.

Here's one last fishing photo of a Huachinango I caught on our last day of fishing. It was 10lbs. caught using a 6" strip bait out at 7 mi. reef. It was a good fighter and was tough to pull in before the sealions could make it a meal.

Bajaboy - 8-10-2009 at 07:49 PM

Looks like heaven...thanks sharing with us.

zac

elgatoloco - 8-11-2009 at 05:18 PM

WOW! Too much fun! :dudette:

fishbuck - 8-11-2009 at 05:24 PM

It looks like a big goldfish!

Cypress - 8-11-2009 at 05:58 PM

Paulina, Nice fish! Thanks for the report and the pictures.:bounce:

Oggie - 8-11-2009 at 06:10 PM

Paulina,

Our house is in OcaņaLand in Zona 2 next to Mary and George Fricker.

Lane's class was a life changing experiance for me too. Did you know he has purchased Rancho San Gregorio from the Viavencencio family to use as another componet to the Field Station for classes.

Bob

Ken Bondy - 8-11-2009 at 08:47 PM

Great stuff Paulina!! Looks like you guys are having a great summer. Miss you guys, ++Ken++