BajaNomad

Another 3 hour tour

Russ - 8-16-2009 at 08:29 PM

My neighbor caught my fat self launching the toy boat this morning. Ran the sore line all the way to the camping beach without a bite. Trolled rapalas, castmasters, crocks, plastics... tried everything but gulp. Water was clear and going over the reefs I was shocked at how few colorful reef fish there were. Only thing in any numbers were sting rays. After the disapointing tour along the shore I went out a mile or so and worked in an out over rock piles and reefs. Nada. I did get a couple of bumps and something eat the tail off a scampi. Worked my way back inside just south of fis camp. There are some promising reef there and got the skunk off with a small cabria.

Almost sunk the toy boat trying to get in. Someone say DIET!

OK, Now for the tour!

Kinda hard fumbling a camera around in a toy boat. More shore line shots next cruise. And hopefully fish too.

[Edited on 8-17-2009 by Russ]

irenemm - 8-16-2009 at 09:26 PM

Wow
that is really pretty
never been more than 50 miles south of Vicente Guerrero. Maybe this coming year. No tourist so we should have the time.
Have heard people tell me how beautiful everything is for the last 28 years. I hope to see it for myself.
keep the pictures coming
thanks

Barry A. - 8-16-2009 at 10:20 PM

Beautiful pics, Russ. Excuse me, but "Shell Beach" is where in Baja?

Barry

Mulegena - 8-16-2009 at 10:53 PM

Thanks, Gilligan!

Russ - 8-17-2009 at 06:08 AM

Barry & others, Shell Beach is connected to Punta Chivato and just North of Mulége. I used to have Punta Chivato on my location along with Shell Beach but when the new Land Barons put up their barbed wire/chain link 8' fence along my property I dropped the Punta Chivato. This company has not started any improvements to their holdings here, other than to totally surround themselves and the home owners of Punta Chivato with their ¶§§©∆√ fence! Oh, and restrict use of the camping beach that you see in the a photo, empty. They have cut off historical access roads across there land to some of the best vistas around Punta Chivato :mad: They have, in a touch of fairness, generously participated in community events and road repairs. What really sent me over the edge was when they put in speed bumps & a guard shack. WOW, looks like I hijacked my own thread :yes:

Guard Shack.jpg - 46kB

woody with a view - 8-17-2009 at 06:25 AM

maybe Cypress is onto something?

Russ - 8-17-2009 at 06:46 AM

Mulegena, You caught that right away :wow: Gilligan might be a good name for the little boat? SS Minnow ain't bad either. Any one else wanna help name the little boat?

Cypress - 8-17-2009 at 06:54 AM

Russ, Thanks for the pictures and report. Your boat is just the right size. I'm sure some of our "armchair" fishermen can explain your failure to see more fish and catch only one.
woody in ob, Yea, it's amazing how few fish are to be found in some areas. Great habitat etc., only thing missing are the fish.

Paulina - 8-17-2009 at 07:06 AM

That morning sure was pretty.

I'm thinking "Mary Ann" for the name of your boat. She had it going on much more than Ginger did.

P<*)))>{

bajajudy - 8-17-2009 at 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Russ
WOW, looks like I hijacked my own thread :yes:

You are allowed!

Great photos. Cool looking boat. Is it stable in the water?

mulegemichael - 8-17-2009 at 07:34 AM

Russ, your boat looks like a little Livingston, am i right?....and, they are VERY stable for their size.

DENNIS - 8-17-2009 at 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by mulegemichael
Russ, your boat looks like a little Livingston, am i right?....

I thought it looked like a bath tub. :lol:

Russ - 8-17-2009 at 08:02 AM

Definitely a Livingston wanna be but I like it better because it has a bench seat with storage below. The top rail matched the Livingston exactly.

So Dennis, your name suggestion is "The Bath Tub"?:?:

David K - 8-17-2009 at 08:03 AM

La Tortuga :light:

Russ - 8-17-2009 at 08:08 AM

David, I like that name but someone here already has it.:no:

David K - 8-17-2009 at 08:13 AM

'La Tortuga de Shell Beach'

Hey, how about 'La Almeja' (The Clam)?

dtbushpilot - 8-17-2009 at 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Mulegena
Thanks, Gilligan!

Looks more like the Skipper to me....:lol::lol::lol:..dt

bajajudy - 8-17-2009 at 09:22 AM

Nice extension on your throttle;D

Russ - 8-17-2009 at 09:24 AM

dtbushpilot , Ouch!:lol:
Keep going DK but have a couple of beers first. Something a little silly but short I don't have a lot of space. Buzon, litter box?

Hook - 8-17-2009 at 09:38 AM

How about Sardina?

Or Mi 'Chovey?

DENNIS - 8-17-2009 at 09:57 AM

La Bañera..........

Crusoe - 8-17-2009 at 10:09 AM

Russ- Great pics, thanx. Boats like yours.... Livingstons and other copycat brands are as common as opinionated boat Captains here in Puget Sound. Most sizes of these craft were constructed to be unsinkable as their false floors and seat struts were filled with foam. And Barry....Shell Beach is just a short hop ( 1mi) west frrom the hotel..... Another truly unforgettable Baja beach. ++C++

DENNIS - 8-17-2009 at 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Mulegena
Mary Anne
Mary Jane
Merry Juana
The Merry Wanna Bee
Ann Chovey
Mary Ann Chovey
Jon Bon Chovey
Carnada de Tiburon (trans: shark bait)
Culo Mordida (trans: a@@ bite)

Let's not forget "The Merry Pranksters." Ken Kesey would have loved that craft.

Russ - 8-17-2009 at 10:28 AM

Livingston

Little Boat

[Edited on 8-17-2009 by Russ]

patsydiamo - 8-17-2009 at 04:01 PM

Mr. Meany sez: Russbucket
Mrs. Meany sez: Chugga-Chica:tumble::lol:

Timo1 - 8-17-2009 at 08:43 PM

I'm thinkin
SS.Camel Yacht
all them upside downie humps and all

fishbuck - 8-17-2009 at 08:49 PM

"El Bajo";D

Frank - 8-17-2009 at 08:58 PM

Gatito

I really like your set up Russ. When I wear out my Gregor Im getting a Livingston.

Crusoe - 8-18-2009 at 09:57 AM

Thanks for pics Russ....The Livingston looks as if someone had set it up with a sailing rig at some point in its life.... Very interesting?... Are those boats both 8 footers?... In the small boat department.... If I am not mistaken, I believe some crazy Englishman set a world record a couple of years ago and sailed a 6 ft. boat across the Atlantic. And I know some years ago as well, a South African completed a circumnavigation in an 11ft. boat. Also... there is a young Mexican man from Acapulco who has sailed an 17ft.open boat (some specific Olympic class like a Finn) across the Pacific from mainland Mex. to French Polyinesia not once but twice!!!!! Someone accused him of lying the first time,so he had to set the record straight. Takes all kinds!! ++C++

mulegemichael - 8-18-2009 at 10:41 AM

"My Tub"

Russ - 8-18-2009 at 01:05 PM

Crusoe , The Livingston had a center board & tiller. Reminds me of the sabot I played in when I was ten. Both are 8'. I don't think I'll take it off shore more than I'm willing to row in. Last outing I forgot my radio. I only had 3 beers left of 12 when I got back. Woulda been BAD if I couldn't call for provisions.
I kept asking people to name my little boat until someone said I'd already named it. "Little Boat" it is. Thanks everyone for the input.

Sharksbaja - 8-18-2009 at 01:09 PM

"EL DINKY"

Cypress - 8-18-2009 at 01:30 PM

"Frying Pan":D is my nomination. "Little Boat" It's your boat and it's a good one. So be it, "Little Boat" it is!!! Provisions, a twelve pack ought to get you there and back. Good luck and appreciate all your posts.:D

vandenberg - 8-18-2009 at 01:40 PM

How about " GOT SOAP ? "

Russ - 8-18-2009 at 04:12 PM

OH chit! I really like "Got Soap?"

Crusoe - 8-18-2009 at 04:51 PM

Oh Poop--I forgot my nonination, It is ROCKBOTTOM! With a name like that the Mexican Pirates won't board you and steal your beer stash!! ++C++ :spingrin::spingrin:

Pescador - 8-19-2009 at 04:31 PM

The only thing that comes to mind is the old poem of Rub-a-Dub-Dub, three men in a tub. But in this case it is Rub a Dub-Dub one man in a tub.

Curt63 - 8-19-2009 at 04:58 PM

I vote for Russ Bucket

David K - 8-19-2009 at 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by vandenberg
How about " GOT SOAP ? "

Gets my vote!!!:light:

got soap? You could make a bumper sticker even!

Sharksbaja or someone with that talent can doctor my sticker image for Russ.

[Edited on 8-20-2009 by David K]

Russ - 8-20-2009 at 06:08 AM

?

W:name.jpg - 47kB

baitcast - 8-20-2009 at 06:51 AM

I like it:lol:
Rob

Crusoe - 8-20-2009 at 09:36 AM

Russ.... GOOD,ON YA.... ++C++

dtbushpilot - 8-20-2009 at 02:27 PM

Another vote for "Russ Bucket".......dt

Crusoe - 8-21-2009 at 10:14 AM

Another one for THE SMALL BOAT DEBT.... As there are many Baja Nomad kayakers and alot of kayakers in Baja here is a good one......The Queen of the international womens kayak scene is a German woman Freya Hoffmeister, and she is now doing a circumnavigation of Austraila. She is very brave, as she has to fend off saltwater crocidiles, sleep in her kayak all night on long passages where she is unable to land ashore ( one was 350 miles) and fend off salt water boils etc.,etc..She replys to the man interviewing her......"One of my gel seat pads had another use. Do you want to hear about that? When I was doing the number two in the morning, I did that on a pad and just lifted it up and overboard and washed it off.It was an easy job, just get your legs out of the c-ckpit,and straddle the whole c-ckpit. It was not an issue at all. I was ballancing pretty well and could do that without the outrigger. People are probably interested on how I was doing that and I don't mind talking freely about that. Its just human. Peeing into the boat each day was not a problem issue. You don't want to interrupt your paddeling and open your spray deck to pee. Just let it go and eventually use a sponge and rinse the c-ckpit out. Its not really an attractive smell and the hygene is not really nice, but my skin was not affected at all. It might have been good for my skin.".... Now there is a very unique individual I'd say... ++C++:wow::wow::wow: