BajaNomad

Fly Fishing in L.A.

apadulo - 8-23-2009 at 04:29 PM

Anybody fly fished B-OLA?

4baja - 8-23-2009 at 06:28 PM

we have seen them do it once in a while, the dorado are in now and its a good time. once the north winds start up in october forget it as the yellows will be deep and the dorado will head south. get on it now.

Paulina - 8-23-2009 at 06:50 PM

apadulo,

Since you are going down in Nov. the Dorado will be gone. Right now the yellowtail are on the bottom as the water temperature is warm. Maybe in Nov. it will cool down enough to bring them back up so you can get a surface bite.

I've never fly fished before, but have friends who have tried it in Bahia. Not too many anglers do the fly fishing gig in Bahia that we've seen. Fly fishing seems more popular in the southern part of Baja.

http://www.bajafly.com/

Good luck,
P<*)))>{

Pescador - 8-23-2009 at 07:51 PM

If you want to use the skinny stick, there is always something that you can catch if you want to work at it enough. I catch yellowtail, dorado, sailfish, marilin, skipjack, tuna, and most of the other species down there on a flyrod, but I have my own boat and lots of time. If you are going out with a guide, he would probably rather eat rusty thumb tacks than spend the day with you flailing the air and producing nothing, and not even mentioning the ridicule that he gets from his buddies when he comes back in with the "Hombre de Pesca Mosca".
But if you are doing your own thing, then the fun begins. I have a great time with sierra, pargo, bay bass, and triggerfish on the fly rod, but it has taken me a lot of time to perfect the techniques that are present in this fishery.

Paulina - 8-23-2009 at 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Pescador
... If you are going out with a guide, he would probably rather eat rusty thumb tacks than spend the day with you flailing the air and producing nothing, and not even mentioning the ridicule that he gets from his buddies when he comes back in with the "Hombre de Pesca Mosca".

You have a very good point there. I bet that if the guide knew in advance, he'd take his client far, far away from the parking lot as to avoid being seen in public.

He'd also be worried that the lack of fish at the end of the day would reflect upon his tip.

I didn't think about that angle. The fly fishermen that I've seen have been on private boats.

baitcast - 8-24-2009 at 07:47 AM

To avoid those kinds of problems I would look into fishing the beach with the outfit that has been mentioned already,Bajafly who specializes in this sort of thing can fix you for sure.

There is a spot in BOLA that would work for you from the beach;D
Rob

And for Cypress LxTxP=sucess.......Location=south bay estro........Timing=high and OUT-going tide........Presentation= Spooks and K/M,s

[Edited on 8-24-2009 by baitcast]

4baja - 8-24-2009 at 07:25 PM

baitcast your right, we find that in sept. early oct. that the corvina, sierra and small roosters are all along the beach. casting small crocs, cast masters and small scampis work well along the beach. im sure that fly-fishing would be fun tho not my cup of tea.

baitcast - 8-25-2009 at 07:45 AM

Same beach,but north of the hot spot,place yourself at the estro,s boca,when the tide starts out a pretty good current developes:biggrin: the estro is full of weeds and there are all kinds of critters in there,we would stomp around in there and everything start out the boca and my finny friends would be waiting.

By this time a regular convention is taking place out front,spooks and most top waters work on the corvina,a fun wat to fish these guys.

Last time time we did this,corvina,seirra,needlefish small roosters,triggers,some small jacks that I could not id? and two butts!! a kick in the ass on light rigs 4#and 6#.

Corvina from the last outing there!!

Like the man said "if you can,t catch a fish in the gulf you better try another hobby"

[Edited on 8-25-2009 by baitcast]

baitcast - 8-25-2009 at 08:33 AM

Same spot,current has started,baitfish are gathering,couple of birds waiting for the show to start,great spot for a fly guy I would think:biggrin:
Rob

Wiles - 8-25-2009 at 05:18 PM

Yup. October always produced for us at that spot.

scan0144 (Small).jpg - 43kB

thanks

apadulo - 8-25-2009 at 08:44 PM

Thanks to everyone you have helped tremendously!

Paulina - 8-25-2009 at 08:57 PM

Baitcast,

How long ago did you catch roosters at the mouth of the estuary? Back in the day they were there, according to Gene Kira, but I haven't heard of any lately, or seen any photos.

Stevo, did you happen to snap any shots of the ones you caught?

Wiles, I think I remember that whale. Great shot.

P<*)))>{

baitcast - 8-26-2009 at 08:00 AM

That is a whopper:lol: just what do you do with a thing like that?

I got one and my bro two three years ago little dinks they were but pretty,their colors are so bright when small.

As far as I know they have always been there,I first found the spot in my boat many years ago while always camping at La Gringa,after that we would always drive down to Rincon and walk over.

I now have a ? for you if there are small ones like that around its got to mean they are spawning some where around BOLA,a couple of years ago someone got two biggies
down around La Animas?

In all the years we went to BOLA and camped at La Gringa I never saw a rooster out front of the camp? and that goes back to 70 or 71?

Now that I think of it the only place i ever saw them was on that stretch of beach right at the estro.

It goes way back but I,ve seen big roosters chasing mullets in Puertecitos and caught smallies in the coves south of there,how times change.
Rob

Paulina - 8-26-2009 at 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by baitcast
.... I now have a ? for you if there are small ones like that around its got to mean they are spawning some where around BOLA,a couple of years ago someone got two biggies
down around La Animas?

In all the years we went to BOLA and camped at La Gringa I never saw a rooster out front of the camp? and that goes back to 70 or 71?

Rob

Rob,

I believe it was Igor who caught the two large Roosters down at Animas. They were toads, I think he said in the 40 lb. class. This was a couple summers ago.

I have never seen a Rooster in Bahia and I've been going since 81.

It would be interesting to ask around town to see if any of the fishermen have seen them. Now that they are no longer netting in the bay, one can only hope that the Roosters will make a come back.

We did see a billfish jumping in front of the estuary this summer. That was a first for us.

Thanks for the reply.

P<*)))>{

[Edited on 27-8-2009 by Paulina]

baitcast - 8-26-2009 at 05:52 PM

There is something about current ?

We caught a bunch of little jacks of some kind 8"9" which I had never seen down there or anywhere for that matter

Paulina - 8-26-2009 at 06:00 PM

There is definately a strong current there as, in my experience, that is where the majority of the dead whales eventually end up.

4baja - 8-26-2009 at 07:58 PM

baitcast, the only roosters i have ever caught were along the outside of the light house. they wern't very big but with combs allmost bigger then the fish they were cool. sometimes we allso caught them on sabikis with other bait fish. allways fun.

Santiago - 8-26-2009 at 08:59 PM

3 years ago in early October while coming in to Gecko from Horse Head a rooster in full comb mode came out of the water a few hundred yards in front of us. Absolutely shocked me. I've never seen another. I'll be there in a few weeks and will try the estuary.

baitcast - 8-27-2009 at 07:42 AM

Santiago when you try an time it to the high and outgoing tide,stomp around in the weeds when the current is going out,this is very important,if you look closely you can see the bait out front.

Even better is first light or in the evening,if you can bring all that together you will have fun.
Rob
There were time times when the mullet would be there which is even better yet.

That corvina in the pic was a evening run.

4baja - 8-27-2009 at 06:36 PM

jim, we will be down in 2 1/2 weeks and maybe youll still be there. will be fishing 5 days with 5 friends.

fly flickin at bola

Cardon Man - 8-28-2009 at 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by apadulo
Anybody fly fished B-OLA?

I spent a day fishing the fly at bola but it was well over 10 years ago. It was in August. I hooked one dorado and many skipjacks. Worth doing for sure. However, as some have already pointed out...a Mexican captain with no fly fishing experience ( or interest ) can be problematic. Especially if you don't speak Spanish.