BajaNomad

14 year old's first Yellowtail in Asuncion!

shari - 8-25-2009 at 08:08 AM

Jake Knott from Laguna Beach was all smiles when he showed me his nice fat yellowtail. He and his dad Brian stopped in on their way home from their casa in Pescadero to do some fishing with Juan. While dad is a fishing nut...Jake caught most of the big fish (24-35 pound range)...Juan commented that he is muy pesada...heavy duty man!!! That kid can FISH!!!
(the teenage girls were sure interested too and Tuto loved him and his leftover quesadillas)

They fished 2 days and are taking home enough fish to feed the neighbourhood for sure...hopefully Brian will post some of the photos of the giant calicos they caught too. Yellowtail season is ON!...bring on the tuna.

[Edited on 8-25-2009 by shari]

Bajagypsy - 8-25-2009 at 08:17 AM

That is one happy boy! Glad the fishing is so good!

Pompano - 8-25-2009 at 08:28 AM

shari...I'm chomping at the bit to get over there and cast a line! Be warned that we will be there sometime in October. I would be there sooner if I didn't have an appointment in September with Umpqua salmon.

That guy looks like he's in seventh heaven.

shari - 8-25-2009 at 08:29 AM

oh pomp...please please please bring us some kind of salmon...anything!

shari...If I catch some, you got some.

Pompano - 8-25-2009 at 09:20 AM

Hopefully.....my Old Guide will take me to the fish...if I can keep him awake.

rts551 - 8-25-2009 at 12:19 PM

Glad he had a nice time Its very important kids that age can do that..

PS wait let me find a photo of me from 1964.

DENNIS - 8-25-2009 at 12:36 PM

What a thrill for that young fella. I'd say he's hooked. No turning back now.
He'll have to take up gardening so he'll have something to do with those lunkers.

We never did get an answer on the "Yellowtail and Bonita Helper," did we? Coming to your super mercado soon, I'll betcha.

vacaenbaja - 8-25-2009 at 04:32 PM

Shari, What will be biting around labor Day week?(Sept 5-11th) Trying to convince some first timers to check out Asuncion. I know that it will be cooler than at BOLA.

woody with a view - 8-25-2009 at 05:15 PM

Pompano

my buddy just brought back 230 #'s of halibut and silver salmon filets from up there. the neighborhood is readying the BBQ's...... he was smart enough to buy a chest freezer before he headed north......

shari - 8-25-2009 at 09:03 PM

the yellowtail bite will be hot for sure labour day weekend and who knows....juan thinks the tuna should be showing any day now followed by dorado. The water is getting real warm real fast now and there is lots of bait, bonita, barracuda, dolphins etc everywhere...they have been getting lots of nice size yellowtail this season so far...no small ones at all.

vacaenbaja - 8-26-2009 at 02:08 PM

Just the news I need to make a case Thanks so much
for the local reports. Keep em coming.

jake's all smiles

elskel - 8-27-2009 at 05:33 PM

Hola to all: jake and I had a great couple of days fishing with jaun. It was his first yellow, all fish were in the mid 20# - to 30# plus we also caught some toad calicos. thanks shari and jaun for the fishing and the accommodations. it sure makes the drive up the peninsula nice, breaking it up with a couple days of fishing. I will post a few pictures if i can figure it out. brian