BajaNomad

fish tale in Asuncion!

shari - 9-4-2009 at 03:35 PM

:o

Alex and his dad Scott drove down in the face of a hurricaine so they could fish the aftermath...these guys are fishing machines! they surfed and shore fished catching waves, calico and corvina and got out today to search for tuna.

Trolling a cedar plug, Alex (17) hooked into something enormous...the monster spooled him 3 times...20 minutes of playing and when he tired out and was reeled up to the boat...Juan couldnt believe his ojos...it was the biggest bull Dorado he'd EVER seen...easily 7-8 feet long. But just as they were about to gaff it, this magnificent bull thrashed to save his life breaking off the 100 lb test and he still has the plug in his mouth to prove his story!!! They got some great video of him...(and I'm secretly glad he got away) and will set out again on sunday to try their luck one last time.

they had a great day on the water and limited out with nice yellowtail...wish I could send some sashimi out to those suffering after the storm.

woody with a view - 9-4-2009 at 04:11 PM

i'm glad it got away also... good breeder that one!!!

[Edited on 9-4-2009 by woody in ob]

mulegemichael - 9-4-2009 at 04:14 PM

Always, always, ALWAYS, it's the big one that got away...would be great if you could post that video clip here tho, shari...

Taco de Baja - 9-4-2009 at 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by mulegemichael
Always, always, ALWAYS, it's the big one that got away...would be great if you could post that video clip here tho, shari...

x2 :o :cool:

Osprey - 9-4-2009 at 04:18 PM

I lost one a lot bigger than that. I'm sure of it. Pretty sure. How big was it again?

shari - 9-4-2009 at 04:26 PM

Juan said it was alot longer than the panga is wide...he said he kept looking at it from both sides of the boat and just couldnt believe his eyes...they were all really excited...cant wait to see the video. Everyone always think we overdo it with 80 lb test! NOT.
alex had the thrill of a lifetime and he's only 17 and so hooked on fishing.

Iflyfish - 9-4-2009 at 06:58 PM

Can't wait to see the video! My record is a 68lb bull that broke my rod off at the reel. Had to fight it that way, inches at a time. A thrill of my lifetime. So good to hear that kid had the ride of his life and a wonderful reminder of why we all love Baja!

Iflyfish

shari - 9-4-2009 at 09:09 PM

i have a correction....it wasnt the test that broke, it was the 100 lb leader that snapped....he had new 80 lb test and a new lure out of the box....that big boy was destined to swim on! tomorrow we will try to upload the video....

[Edited on 9-5-2009 by shari]

rbwrivers - 9-5-2009 at 06:36 AM

How awesome! Looking forward to the video.

Udo - 9-5-2009 at 07:03 AM

I'm glad you and Juan came out OK, Shari!
And I'm looking forward to the video too!

shari - 9-6-2009 at 05:27 PM

17 year old Alex and his dad tried their luck again today and once again Alex outfished Dad....they saw quite a few dorado and alex caught the first dorado of the season here...about 15 lbs...maybe the grandson of the big guy a couple days ago....they limited out on yellowtail and cabrilla as well and are busy vacuum packing and brining to smoke some tomorrow.

Santiago will have ceviche ready for when he gets here, smoked fish and cold cerveza!

Pacifico - 9-6-2009 at 07:36 PM

I wish Alex would have landed that fish - that would have been a fish of a lifetime! What great memories for them both... Once a dorado gets that big, you have to wonder how long it will live anyways with the amount of food it requires just to survive. I would have rather seen father and son holding that beast with big smiles on their faces!!! Can't wait to see the video....

shari - 9-8-2009 at 08:41 AM

It is really cool when families visit...Alex not only proved to be an ace fisherteen but he was adopted by the Jurjos surf club here and has made some lifeling amigos. Pretty funny they met their neighbours from BOLA here last night...sr.santiago. They'll be back for tuna and surf in the fall ad we look forward to Alex participating in some surf competitions here.
Here is a happy father and son team.

ligui - 9-8-2009 at 11:22 AM

Great story .... good for everyone ... even the fish .. would love to see such a big dorado , glad he got away ...

Von - 9-8-2009 at 11:29 AM

We need that video Right now~~......:yes:

shari - 9-8-2009 at 11:53 AM

they had a weird video camera that has tape...so they will try to deal with it when they get home and upload at least the nearly landing it to youtube. Patience grasshopper.

[Edited on 9-8-2009 by shari]