BajaNomad

9-8 Asuncion report

Santiago - 9-9-2009 at 04:29 AM

Quick recap of yesterday's fishing:
Fished with Juan Arce. We started trolling X-Raps in the purple bonita partern and had a double hook-up on 15-ish pound yellowtail about 2 seconds after placing the rods in the holders. I hate it when that happens. The next 2 hours was non-stop and the fish got a little bigger as Juan figured out the pattern. This school was located just north of Asuncion Island. We then tried north of Isla San Roca for larger yellow tail but nada. Finished up a short day with calicos as the effects of my buddy's Bahia Asuncion initiation rites caught up with him. sigh.......rookies
So far, no sign of tuna from Totrugas to Abreojos- at least one trawler has been looking. Water temps in the low 80s.
For those of you who plan to visit, the food at Juanita's Kitchen is outstanding and very reasonably priced: 2 dinners of fried fish with 2 beers was $125NP. That's basically 5 bucks each. The spanish lessons are free, heh.
Will try today for Dorado.

bajajurel - 9-9-2009 at 04:39 AM

Thanks Santiago for the report. Any word from La Bocana south of you? We are headed there tomorrow. How was the gas situation at GN and Vizcaino?

4baja - 9-9-2009 at 06:25 AM

hey jim you still going to be in bahia on the 16th?

shari - 9-9-2009 at 06:58 AM

I got a report of the first tuna showing up yesterday south of here...san hipolito so La Bocana should be seeing some nowadays...have fun...I'm firing up the smoker after breakfast...whole wheat english muffins that santiago kindly supplied!!!