BajaNomad

Walt Peterson, RIP

danaeb - 9-14-2009 at 02:58 PM

Walt Peterson died early this morning.

He was a noted Baja adventurer and author. His "Baja Adventure Book" chronicled his adventures with pals and family over the years and includes a wealth of information and maps for any Baja enthusiast.

Happy trails Walt, until we all meet again.

[Edited on 9-14-2009 by danaeb]

Gypsy Jan - 9-14-2009 at 03:11 PM

My condolences to his family.

His books, written in a clear and colorful way, about the place, the people and the history encouraged my interest and resulting passion for Baja. I am sad that I never had the chance to meet him.

RIP Walt, your good words and love for Baja will live on and inspire new adventurers.

GJ

GregN - 9-14-2009 at 04:01 PM

My condolences to his family. I found Walt's book to be very helpful. Greg Niemann

David K - 9-14-2009 at 04:28 PM

Adios Walt... thanks for the Baja Adventures you inspired and shared with us!

One of the best Baja guides ever written: 'The Baja Adventure Book', showed us many unique and special places to visit or just read about!

JULY 1987 FIRST EDITION:

JANUARY 1992 SECOND EDITION:

DECEMBER 1998 THIRD EDITION:

[Edited on 9-14-2009 by David K]

Skipjack Joe - 9-14-2009 at 04:37 PM

I'm really sorry to read this. He was one of my favorite baja writers. I had always hoped to meet him somewhere and find out more about the man. Judging from his writings he must have been a very intelligent man with an impish sense of humor. I never grew tired of rereading his short stories and campfire tales. Perhaps I'll post a favorite of mine when I get back home from work tonight.

RIP Walt. May your adventures 'up there' be as wonderful as the ones you had in baja.

DianaT - 9-14-2009 at 04:54 PM

Thoughts are with his family---he left behind a fine legacy with his books---favorites of many including us.

BAJACAT - 9-14-2009 at 06:14 PM

Another start for baja, I have two of his copies..RIP

capt. mike - 9-15-2009 at 12:29 PM

i have an autographed book from Walt. got it mail order i think early 80s when i started flying the peninsula - he must have signed them all, then cause i never asked for it.
but i poured all over his guides back then. great stuff - he knew baja!!

well lived individual.

Hook - 9-15-2009 at 02:17 PM

Still the most enjoyable baja guide ever written. Also the best, when it was current.

adventurer - 4-21-2014 at 05:40 PM

Apologies for resurrecting such an old thread but...
Was not able to find anything anywhere on Walt Peterson other than what was posted above
Does anyone have any more info?
The Baja Adventure Book was one of my all time favorites and accompanied me on many adventures
I am sad to find out that he is no longer with us

Ateo - 4-21-2014 at 06:31 PM

Dig the Baja Adventure Book. Thanks Walt.

Marc - 4-21-2014 at 07:01 PM

I have 'em. RIP

azucena - 4-22-2014 at 08:58 AM

My thoughts to his family. He was a true Baja spirit, and his books were wonderful

tiotomasbcs - 4-22-2014 at 01:05 PM

Welcome, Adventurer! Anyone who enjoys Walt Petersen's books is a Nomad at heart. Hope you hang around to share some of your own stories. Another recent post features pictures of some famous Baja guides and stories. Tio

[Edited on 4-22-2014 by tiotomasbcs]

pappy - 4-22-2014 at 01:49 PM

thanks for sharing your adventures in your great books! R.I.P. Walt...

DavidE - 4-22-2014 at 03:12 PM

Another adventurer goes to that invisible island out in the gulf, where yellowtail and dorado monsters almost beach themselves chasing bait fish. Someone planted hundreds of coconut palms, and in a huge circle around a blazing driftwood fire all the old adventurers are telling whoppers and the rest are enjoying every minute of it.

At least that's the way I hope it is...

adventurer - 4-22-2014 at 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
You folks posting in 2014 do know that he died on Sept. 14, 2009, right?

Do you have anything to add re: who he was?

Hook - 4-22-2014 at 04:28 PM

Quote:
You folks posting in 2014 do know that he died on Sept. 14, 2009, right?

You folks posting in 2014 do know that the lost missions have been ruins for hundreds of years, right? :lol:

adventurer - 4-22-2014 at 04:52 PM

Quote:
I really liked his way of sharing Baja... lot's of details and history!

Completely agree. A gifted writer
Can't believe no one has anything to share about his background/bio...

danaeb - 4-22-2014 at 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by adventurer
Quote:
I really liked his way of sharing Baja... lot's of details and history!

Completely agree. A gifted writer
Can't believe no one has anything to share about his background/bio...

danaeb - 4-22-2014 at 08:31 PM

My next door neighbor is Walt's niece. It was she who told me about his passing. Her father Reeve and Walt shared many Baja adventures. Suzy appears in several photos in the 'Adventure' book. I'm sure she would love to know how many fans they had. I'll forward these posts to her.

adventurer - 4-23-2014 at 08:13 AM

Thank you danaeb
Would love to read a few lines from Suzy about uncle

GregN - 4-23-2014 at 09:45 AM

My condolences. I loved his Baj.a Adventures

grace59 - 4-24-2014 at 06:02 AM

My thoughts and best wishes to the family....RIP Walt...The Baja Adventure Book is one of my favorite Baja guides. I always leave it out for company to enjoy when visiting me in Baja.