BajaNomad

Bahia and Cuatro Casas

BajaRoadrunner - 9-15-2009 at 02:28 PM

We went to Bahia de los Angeles this past weekend, left Tijuana on Saturday morning and by 5pm we where there. Not much traffic and no incidents. Met with some friends that were staying at Los vientos and then headed to arrange a fishing trip for the next day.
Weather was great and we camped just south of town. We had a great evening with natural "fireworks" or what looked like a thunderstorm far away in Sonora.
Sunday morning we went fishing, saw 2 pilot whales that past like 50' from our panga. Caught some "Sierra", Barrilete, Bonita and Grouper. Did some snorkeling near an island.
In the afternoon we had lunch at Costa del Sol (was really good, especially the flower tortillas,mmmm). We then drove to La Gringa and stayed there for a few hours sleeping and snorkeling.
Around 6pm we left Bahia and stayed in "Maria Celeste Hotel" in San Quintin, good price and nice rooms; very quiet now that they have covered the front of the hotel with glass windows and doors.
In the morning we drove to Cuatro casas, the entrance to the dirt road that takes you to the coast is just in front of the entrance to the Observatory road in San Telmo. After a few miles of a really nice graded road we got to the coast, beautiful scenery but my wife did not find a good place to surf so we just explored for a while and took some pictures.
By 8pm we were back in Tijuana and reality.

Pictures tomorrow.

Lauriboats - 9-15-2009 at 02:30 PM

Great report, sounds like you had a great time. Can't wait to see your pictures.

Bajahowodd - 9-15-2009 at 02:45 PM

It does sound like a great time. I'm glad that you mentioned the Maria Celeste, as well. I can't remember seeing it mentioned on here, at least in the recent past.

BooJumMan - 9-21-2009 at 07:41 AM

So Cuatro wasn't breaking? I was just there a few weeks ago. Not many people around. Good swell was hitting though.

There was a beached blue whale inside the point...but, was looking pretty decayed. Was the body still there?

BajaRoadrunner - 9-25-2009 at 11:08 AM

We didn't see the blue whale.
I'm wondering if we missed the point :?:
Is the hostel still there?

We explored most of the area to the right from the white church and a little bit to the left, just past some houses on the edge of the cliff.

BooJumMan - 9-27-2009 at 10:18 AM

Hehe! The white church is "north" of the Hostel and point. If you keep going south from the church, you'll eventually run into the houses with the hostel inbetween them! Did you go that way?

Anyways the beached whale wasn't anything great. It was very smelly and like I said was decayed. The locals tried to pull it up off the beach but they ended up just pulling out the jaw bones (which were 30ft LONG!!).

BajaRoadrunner - 9-30-2009 at 10:19 AM

Yes we did go south to the houses.

I have never seen a 30ft long jaw, even if it was smelly it would look cool on the roof of my jeep, hehe.

Thanks for the reply.

Baja12valve - 9-30-2009 at 12:28 PM

I am wondering if you did not end up in Punta Colonet?