BajaNomad

MEXFISH.COM???

beachbum1A - 9-20-2009 at 07:35 AM

Does anyone have any idea what has happened to this popular site? The last report published is for the week beginning August 31st, but nothing since.

DENNIS - 9-20-2009 at 07:37 AM

Gone Fishing.

Skipjack Joe - 9-20-2009 at 08:24 AM

??

This looks up to date:

http://mexfish.com/magb/magb/090917wahoo/090917wahoo.htm

Pescador - 9-20-2009 at 10:01 AM

Gene Kira told me that there were almost no reports due to the hurricane so they did not publish reports last week. The new reports come out monday afternoon or tuesday. Check after the weekend.

beachbum1A - 9-21-2009 at 02:26 PM

Here's a email I received from Gene regarding a change in format. I was sent this email because I had on occasion submitted fishing reports to Gene's web site.

'The weekly "Mexico Fishing News" format of Mexfish.com has changed to focus
on fish species photos and information, specific boat and fish counts,
general interest articles, and fisheries conservation. Submissions should be
400 to 1,200 words in length. Photos should be accompanied by complete
caption information, including date, boat, location, and full names of
people shown, from left to right. All new reports published will be linked
periodically at the top of our home page'

Fred - 9-21-2009 at 03:31 PM

Walk 100 yards from your place and give the guy in the van a beer and he will tell what the mexfish report is. When he is there.

bill erhardt - 9-21-2009 at 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by beachbum1A
Does anyone have any idea what has happened to this popular site? The last report published is for the week beginning August 31st, but nothing since.

There will be no more new weekly composite fishing reports from the various regions of Baja and the Mainland on Mexfish.com, but the archive of old weekly reports will be maintained, and periodic general interest articles will be added as Beachbum noted.

freediverbrian - 9-23-2009 at 05:09 PM

Is there an other fish report for baja norte, I can not find any thing ,just for sur and east cape. bay of LA or Gonzaga ?

24baja - 9-23-2009 at 05:18 PM

I don't like their new format, not as user friendly.

freediverbrian you might try www.bloodydecks.com they sometimes have info.

bill erhardt - 9-23-2009 at 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by freediverbrian
Is there an other fish report for baja norte, I can not find any thing ,just for sur and east cape. bay of LA or Gonzaga ?

Bloodydecks.com has a forum for fishing reports from Baja norte y sur combined. http://www.bloodydecks.com/forums/baja-mexico-fishing-report... Nothing like the 9+ years of detailed reports on Mexfish.com, but the bloodydecks reports are sometimes more current than those on Mexfish over the past couple of years.

David K - 9-23-2009 at 05:45 PM

Where are you guys looking... ? I just went to Gene's site (MexFish.com) and it all seems to be there:

RECENT UPDATES:

PHOTOS OF PUERTO LOPEZ MATEOS AFTER THE PASSAGE OF HURRICANE JIMENA

WAHOO IN HOT EARLY SEASON BITE AT THE THETIS BANK

WHITE SEABASS TAKEN IN SPEAR FISHING AT PUERTO SANTO TOMAS

CABO BOATS IN SLUGGISH FULL MOON ACTION FOLLOWING HURRICANE JIMENA

WHITE SEABASS AND TUNA DURING BAJA RUN TO SAN QUINTIN

BIG TIGER SHARK SEEN DURING DIVING AT CABO PULMO CORAL REEF

MAPS OF EAST CAPE'S CABO PULMO MARINE PARK & THE CABO PULMO CORAL REEF

CABO SAN LUCAS ESCAPES MAJOR DAMAGE AS HURRICANE JIMENA STRIKES BAJA FARTHER NORTH

Previous updates, peak seasons, articles, and fishing maps for major Mexican
sportfishing areas may be found in the following individual sections:

BAHIA DE LOS ANGELES (L.A. BAY) -- BAJA CALIFORNIA (COASTAL AREAS) -- CABO SAN LUCAS
CANCUN -- EAST CAPE -- ENSENADA -- ERENDIRA -- HUATULCO -- IXTAPA ZIHUATANEJO -- LA PAZ
LORETO -- MAGDALENA BAY -- MAZATLAN -- MEXICO -- MULEGE -- PUERTO SANTO TOMAS
PUERTO VALLARTA -- ROCKY POINT (PUERTO PENASCO) -- SAN CARLOS (SONORA)
SAN FELIPE -- SAN JOSE DEL CABO (LOS CABOS) -- SAN QUINTIN -- SANTA ROSALIA

bill erhardt - 9-23-2009 at 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
Where are you guys looking... ? I just went to Gene's site (MexFish.com) and it all seems to be there:

As of August 31, there have been no more weekly composite fishing reports from various regions of Baja and the Mainland as had been published every week for 9+ years, and there will be no more of those weekly composite reports.

beachbum1A - 9-25-2009 at 06:51 AM

THE END of yet another service that we've allowed to entertain us and to depend on......So sad.

David K - 9-25-2009 at 08:54 AM

Quote:
THE END of yet another service that we've allowed to entertain us and to depend on......So sad.

YESTERDAY (Sept. 24) fishing report on Mexfish.com... Don't give up so easily beachbum!:

http://mexfish.com/baja/baja/090924BigTunaShowing/090924BigT...

bill erhardt - 9-25-2009 at 07:08 PM

Beachbum........This does indeed mark the end of an era. The weekly fishing reports on Mexfish.com were an institution for Baja fishermen for nearly 10 years. I am one of many hundreds, probably thousands, of fishermen who looked forward every Monday to the report of what was being caught where on Baja, and in recent years on the Mexican Mainland. There is presently no other source that comes close to matching what Gene Kira did. Maybe somebody will step to the fore...... Although new current weekly reports on Mexfish will not be available, the archives will remain as an invaluable source of historical information when planning to fish in a new area, or just in reconstructing when different species were active, or not, in your own area and what weather conditions, water temperatures, etc were coincident with that activity.

Paulina - 9-25-2009 at 08:43 PM

You can still find a weekly report in the Western Outdoor News. Robin Wade lives in Baja Sur and in my opinion she is doing a fantastic job.

Years ago when Fred Hoctor turned his weekly report in WON over to Gene, at first I wasn't sure what to think. Fred reassured me that Gene was handpicked and was the man for the job.

When Gene went internet I thought that was a cool new thing, but I missed his weekly article in WON.

On the possitive side, I'm glad Jonathan Roldan is still with WON and I love his column. I once told him that I thought his style of writing reminded me of Fred's. I hope he took that as a complement. I hope he sticks around for a long time.

There are a few fishing captains and resort/fishing operators who report on Bloodydecks that can be counted on for an accurate fishing report, with "Fishing" being the subject at hand. One might be able to still get a weekly report on that forum.

It sometimes takes a while to get used to the change in the tides. I never thought I'd get over Fred's retirement, now I'll have to get over Gene's (if that's what he's doing!).

P<*)))>{

beachbum1A - 9-26-2009 at 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
Quote:

YESTERDAY (Sept. 24) fishing report on Mexfish.com... Don't give up so easily beachbum!:

http://mexfish.com/baja/baja/090924BigTunaShowing/090924BigT...

It's not the same format anymore David. In the past his web site would give fishing reports by area, so you could scroll up/down and see the heading for a particular area you were interested in (like Mulege, or the East Cape, or Ensenada) and then read that weeks reports from fishermen & women to see what was being caught in the area that interested you personally. NO MORE!

David K - 9-26-2009 at 09:26 AM

Then, perhaps someone should pick up, if Gene is tired of doing the work? He is easy to contact, ask for his sources and offer to do the regional weekly posts on his site... or here on Nomad, where there is a fishing and hunting forum... Gene and I have the same web host, and he didn't know of any change to Gene's forum when I shared your guys' concern over this.

9 years is a long time to do something (without pay?) and maybe a break is needed...?

Pescador - 9-26-2009 at 02:05 PM

I can only read between the lines but I get the feeling that the issue originated with Western Outdoor News and not necessarily with Gene. Typical cost cutting as newspapers are folding around the world and they have been very slow to figure out what the market and readers are doing or wanting as they seem to keep doing the same old things and wonder why their readership is falling off. I did get a mealy mouthed response from Western Outdoor News, but it really did not answer the question, perhaps they did not like the fact that the reports were also on the internet and that was somehow cutting into business but the reality is that for us poor souls who live and fish in Baja it was our source of getting updated information. So I for one, will continue to post to Gene's website and will wait to see what happens with WON. It is imperative that the news is available or how else will I know what Bill Erhardt is catching now.

Santiago - 9-27-2009 at 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Pescador
So I for one, will continue to post to Gene's website and will wait to see what happens with WON. It is imperative that the news is available or how else will I know what Bill Erhardt is catching now.

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

bill erhardt - 9-27-2009 at 07:38 AM

Pescador.........I guess you'll have to give me a call. For guys like you and me and Beachbum, the Mexfish Monday reports were probably the most important source of news for the week. Just reading what was happening at PV, the East Cape, the San Marcos bajo, or, more recently with the monster white sea bass out of San Quintin, was enough for an adrenalin jolt before I finished my morning coffee. And, it was not just the content but the fact that the report was by Gene Kira, himself a part of Baja lore with the Baja Catch, King of the Moon, his articles in WON, etc. We'll survive, and I, too, will continue to submit reports for however Gene wants to fit them into his new format, but there will be a void there for a while.