BajaNomad

la ribera 9/20-9/27

luckyman - 9-29-2009 at 04:43 PM

La Ribera 9/20-9/27

I headed south last week for what is becoming a traditional post harvest fishing trip the last week of September. We finished harvesting almonds the day before flying out of Sacramento, so we cut it pretty close and were really ready for a break.

This year my brother in law Matt came with his daughter Kristen, and Nate, a fishing buddy of mine, rounded out the foursome. We typically fish three people to a super panga, but we hooked up with Pedro in La Ribera, who has a nice new super (I think maybe 26’), who is licensed to fish with four. We made arrangements with him to fish Monday and hit the sack early that evening.

Day one, Monday, we caught a ride down to the beach in front of town where Pedro and his brother waited to launch the boat. We headed straight out to jig up some Humboldt squid for chum; Matt and I have spent plenty of time on the work end of making bait, so we let Nate, a newbie to the squid game, hook and land the first one. Nate’s no dummy, so I think one of us landed the second, then we were on our way to find sardines and go fish.

[img]http://[/img]
Nate with his squid

That first day we fished just south of the lighthouse near Rincon on a school of 10-20 lb yellowfin. We landed a few tuna as well as a couple of dorado that wandered through the chum line, then we headed back to the beach by 3:00 or so.
That night we ate dorado tacos…always best the day it’s caught. My neighbors Cliff and
Carol have one of the best recipes on the east cape for taco batter, and try as I might I’ve never been able to duplicate the closely guarded secret, so I’m resigned to do the fishing and let Cliff do the cooking, which isn’t all that bad a deal.

[img]http://[/img]
Kristen and her first dorado.

Day two, Tuesday, we launched from the beach again with Pedro at 6:30 AM, made squid bait and bought sardines. This time we headed further south to Frailes, where we heard there was a school of larger tuna holding. Sure enough, there were probably 15 boats drifting when we got there and several rods already bent. It didn’t take long to get our first hookup, and the reel smoking first run told us we were into a larger grade of fish. Before we had color on that fish, we had a second one on, which made things interesting in the tight conditions on the panga. As luck would have it, both fish got to the boat about the same time, and in the fire drill to follow one managed to break the 40 lb fluoro leader we were using. Later that morning we managed to hook up three out of four rods simultaneously…Matt, Kristen, and I all stumbling around the boat…over, under, through armpit, around the rail we went as 50 lb tuna had their way with us…good thing we’re all family. There was a great deal of cursing and name calling going on, with Matt waiting for his fish to die of old age before it got to the gaff.

Matt and his voting age tuna.

At any rate, with Nate standing there holding his rod and watching the family bond, we failed to notice old Pedro continue to throw sardines and squid chum…as if a triple hookup wasn’t enough. Sure as shi#, here come a couple of sails through the chum, and we watch as Nate gets bit and hooks up on one. About then the real fire drill started, with our three fish pinning us to the rail, Nate scampers around the boat a couple of times as the sail runs circles dancing around the boat. Somewhere in there one of us lost a tuna, the sail was leadered and released, and we boated a couple of more tuna.

We fished a total of four days with Pedro, and managed to catch a few more dorado, and one wahoo south of Frailes.

My long awaited wahoo.

One of the four days we fished the inshore area in front of la ribera down to the lighthouse and caught small roosters (all released), and surprisingly enough, a slug of sierra on wired hoochies. We attributed part of our fishing success to Kristen, who had a different bikini for each day of the week…the bait guys always lingered and aimlessly shoveled more sardines into our tank, and for some reason there were always boats showing up wherever we stopped to fish around us and add to the line of chum we threw into the water. Hell I think we could have skipped making bait every day…whenever it got slow we would send Kristen up on the bow to fish and we had all the chum we wanted in short order…she was good natured about it and we all had a good laugh over the whole deal.

Nate and Kristen double up on tuna.

We had heard the local fish cops were checking licenses and limits, and sure enough, we were boarded one day by the feds out on the Vigilante II down at Frailes. The fellow checked our licenses and fish, which were all in order, and was very pleasant and professional with all of us. We have always been a little foggy on limits and combinations allowed, so he took a minute to explain the 10 point system…at least as it existed that day, on that particular piece of the sea of cortez.

We took a day and went over to Cabo Pulmo in the morning to do some snorkeling and then have lunch there in town. Water conditions were great, with 87 degree water and good visibility, we saw plenty of fish and I got to try out a little underwater digital camera I picked up for the trip.

Matt and Kristen at Cabo Pulmo.

Local wildlife on the inshore reef, Los Arbolitos.

The highlight of the day was when two shiny humvees pulled into town and puked out a bunch of scrawny throwbacks there to save the planet and pet the turtles, dressed in their Obama 08 shirts (no kidding one of them was)….I wondered to myself why they weren’t driving hybrids instead of the rented hummers, but I never bothered to ask…no sense ruining what was a great day with what would have been pointless conversation.

On another day we walked to the top of the flat hill over near Leonero to get some pictures and see some new country, then went over to LB to have a burger at buzzards and watch some football.

Matt and Kristen before the hike to the top of the hill.

View back toward La Ribera.

After lunch we drove up the arroyo past the dump up to the place where the old guy makes hammocks out of palm leaves. He didn’t have any on hand, but I put in a request for one come November or December when I hope to visit him again. The brush up that arroyo was about as green as I’ve ever seen it, with lots of yellow and red blooms along the way.

Almost to the hammock makers place. LB in the background.

Hopefully the baja will be blessed with a little more rain before the season ends. As usual, I’m looking forward to my next visit, next time with my family.
Steve

[Edited on 9-30-2009 by luckyman]

luckyman - 9-29-2009 at 04:44 PM

my first try at posting with photos...anybody know what i'm doing wrong?
thanks, steve

4baja - 9-29-2009 at 07:01 PM

thanks steve for the report. we fished that area many times and allso hooked up on marlin. loved the town and theres one store there that has the coldist beer ive ever had in baja. your pics may be oversized, try making them smaller. thanks again.

Pacifico - 9-29-2009 at 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by luckyman
my first try at posting with photos...anybody know what i'm doing wrong?
thanks, steve

You need to host them on another site and then provide a link. I'm no expert on this.....Do a search on it - there are some good tutorials on posting pics. Good luck!!!

pics

luckyman - 9-29-2009 at 07:44 PM

ok, i'll see what i can find about hosting pictures.
thanks,
steve

mulegemichael - 9-29-2009 at 08:04 PM

steve...long time..hope all is well with you and family...lavender is still taking care of me and we're happy in mulege..bueno suerte

luckyman - 9-29-2009 at 09:09 PM

mike!!
good to hear from you, i followed your progress here as you made your way back to mulege. i hope you and your wife are well, and your place is getting back together after the storm.

Pescador - 9-30-2009 at 07:33 AM

The highlight of the day was when two shiny humvees pulled into town and puked out a bunch of scrawny throwbacks there to save the planet and pet the turtles, dressed in their Obama 08 shirts (no kidding one of them was)….I wondered to myself why they weren’t driving hybrids instead of the rented hummers, but I never bothered to ask…no sense ruining what was a great day with what would have been pointless conversation.

As Larry the Cable Guy would Say, "I don't care who you are, that right there is funny". I keep wondering if they are hatching these critters somewhere in the outback. We had a small group doing the same thing and then they got down to the serious business of "communing with Nature".

If you want to post the pics, and I hope you do, go to www.photobucket.com and put them on there and then give us the link.

bill erhardt - 9-30-2009 at 08:48 AM

Steve........That is a great report of what was clearly a great trip! Looking forward to the photos........

luckyman..

Pompano - 9-30-2009 at 09:29 AM

Never enjoyed a fishing report 'without' photos so much before. Makes me eager to get back in the CC and head further south. As for those photos, I've tried a few sites, but find photoshop.com to be my easiest way to post photos..including mulitiples on a single thread. Give it a whirl, it's easy, even for this non-computer fisherman.

Here's what to do:

1. go here first - http://photobucket.com/ - and go thru the 'Join Now' procedure..using your own user name and a password of your choice.

2. now you are a member and all set to transfer photos from your computer. So click on the window at top of page that says "Upload Images and Videos". That opens a window showing your computer files, from which you will choose wherever your photos are.(..mine are easy = Pictures) Yours may be in Documents, etc.

3. pick out what photos you want to upload to Photoshop by clicking on them and then click on the "Open" selection in the lower right of that window. Note: You can download multiple photos at one time by holding down the CTRL key on your computer while clicking on whatever photos you want to download to Photoshop.

4. Now you wait while Photoshop downloads those selections to your Photoshop personal album. You can label them if desired..or not. Now they come up on the screen of your album...and you merely put your pc's pointer below the photo you want, making sure it is over the IMG selection. Right click on that highlighted photo number and 'Copy'.

5. now go to your Nomad post here and place the pointer wherever you want the photo to show up...hit right click and select 'Paste'..and poof, there's your photo!

6. now post those photos so we can further enjoy your great fishing report!

David K - 9-30-2009 at 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Pompano
Never enjoyed a fishing report 'without' photos so much before. Makes me eager to get back in the CC and head further south. As for those photos, I've tried a few sites, but find photoshop.com to be my easiest way to post photos..including mulitiples on a single thread. Give it a whirl, it's easy, even for this non-computer fisherman.

Here's what to do:

1. go here first - http://photobucket.com/ - and go thru the 'Join Now' procedure..using your own user name and a password of your choice.

2. now you are a member and all set to transfer photos from your computer. So click on the window at top of page that says "Upload Images and Videos". That opens a window showing your computer files, from which you will choose wherever your photos are.(..mine are easy = Pictures) Yours may be in Documents, etc.

3. pick out what photos you want to upload to Photoshop by clicking on them and then click on the "Open" selection in the lower right of that window. Note: You can download multiple photos at one time by holding down the CTRL key on your computer while clicking on whatever photos you want to download to Photoshop.

4. Now you wait while Photoshop downloads those selections to your Photoshop personal album. You can label them if desired..or not. Now they come up on the screen of your album...and you merely put your pc's pointer below the photo you want, making sure it is over the IMG selection. Right click on that highlighted photo number and 'Copy'.

5. now go to your Nomad post here and place the pointer wherever you want the photo to show up...hit right click and select 'Paste'..and poof, there's your photo!

6. now post those photos so we can further enjoy your great fishing report!

PLEASE also pick the SIZE to upload to Photobucket... The standard setting is 17" screen which causes the Nomad pages to spead out wide, off the screen of those with standard 15" monitors. Pick 15" screen or a smaller upload size ...

Pompano - 9-30-2009 at 09:40 AM

Good additon, David..... but for some reason I have never had to do that? I guess my pics are 'downsized' to start with...especially the fish images.

luckyman - 9-30-2009 at 02:38 PM

ok, i gave it a shot...thanks for the tutorial on photobucket....if you're real patient, you might make a computer jockey out of me yet, but don't hold your breath.
i couldn't find the option for sizing the photo, hope it works for you anyway.

Cypress - 9-30-2009 at 02:57 PM

luckyman, Thanks. You are a lucky man.:D