BajaNomad

BOLA Report

24baja - 10-11-2009 at 01:44 PM

We arrived in BOLA in the afternoon of the 4th with westies blowing. Decided to stay in on Monday due to windy seas so we worked on the house making improvements ( I have a shower and hot water now). We went out on Tue, Wed, Thurs, Fri, & Sat. We have gotten Several Bonita and 3 Yellowtail at the 7 mile reef and a multitude of bottom fish all over the bay. There are huge amounts of baitfish here. We have seen Whale sharks in South Bay, Finback Whales near Smith westside and eastside. Also saw Dolphins and 1 finback heading out by Los Muchas. I caught a small Dorado between Smith and Piojo while bottom fishing. It was chasing the fish I was reeling in and hit my second shrimp fly on the line right at the top of the water column. We have canned 48 1/2 pints and 12 pints of Bonita so far. All in all I would say it has been a great trip so far. Sorry pictures are unavailabe at this time. Connie

24baja - 10-12-2009 at 04:57 PM

yes, I have seen them fishing, and it is pleasant except we have had very windy conditions for 2 days with no fishing. Hope we have better luck tomorrow. Connie

David K - 10-12-2009 at 04:59 PM

Thanks Connie for the report...

24baja - 10-13-2009 at 09:05 AM

Staying in again today, very windy again. Thinking of driving to LaGringa and the fish camp, we have never ventured out there.....projects done on the house so time to explore.

David K - 10-13-2009 at 09:08 AM

Let me know if you need any ideas for exploring! The 'lost mission' was a fun site if you want to drive to Las Animas (35 miles).

The railroad terminal south of Las Flores is another interesting site if you haven't been there!

24baja - 10-14-2009 at 03:41 PM

Update....7 mile reef....5-yellowtails 15-25#, 9- Bonita and 6 whitefish. Canned 72- half pints, 12- pints and have enough to fill 16 more pints tonight, of bonita. one more fishing day before heading home.

4baja - 10-15-2009 at 05:52 PM

we saw you out there 24baja, what a good time down there. will post my report soon. we were in the bayrunner that franko was talking about.

Santiago - 10-15-2009 at 08:46 PM

I won't spoil 4baja's upcoming post but make sure you guys look for it - one of the most unusual fishing techniques for pez gallo I've ever heard.