BajaNomad

Trip report Punta Chivato

mooose29 - 10-13-2009 at 02:25 PM

We got back from a 10 day trip down to our place in Punta Chivato last week. The trip was a combo vacation and huricane repair trip.

We left around 11 on Saturday the 26th as my daughter had a soccer game in the morning that she didnt want to miss. We hit the border, got our visa's, changed our money and were done in 30 minutes. The wait on the US side going south was only backed up a few minutes. Hit the toll road and we were happy to be cruising south. The girls had driven down a few days prior to have some time without kids and husbands and so it was my Dad, Son, Daughter and 2 labs in the car with us. All was great until about 2-3 kilometers north of the Ensenada toll booth and the traffic came to almost a complete stop. At first we figured there was a bad accident that was closing the road however we soon learned that the back up was because of the Rosarito to Ensenada bike ride. It took us almost 2 1/2 hours to go about 5 km it was brutal. South of Ensenada the road is still all torn up for a couple of KM S of Manaderro but the check point was just a wave of the hand.

We had planned on going to Catavina the first night but with the delays decided on San Q. We knew Hotel Jardines was booked as we had tried to make a reservation 3 weeks before but still decided to stop to see if there was a cancelation and at the very least have dinner. The kids were bummed when we got there and Fernando told us everyone had checked in. However we had a great dinner and headed to the Desert Inn to get a room and good night sleep. As a side note we have noticed that especially if you are traveling on a weekend that reservations are a must at Hotel Jardines, you can email them or call them and they are always very quick to get back to you. The hotel is comfortable, clean, safe, affordable, and they allow dogs. If you are just looking for a place to sleep and Jardines is booked the Desert Inn is not bad we had not gone there for many years and the last 2 trips we tried it and were pleased with what we got. Funny story we got connecting rooms, my Dad sleeping in one and the 2 kids, 2 dogs and me in the other. At about 3 am I got up to open the slider on the balcony to get some air. Well the dogs took this as time to get up so Max with his 10 pound tail wagging stood up and his tail wagging full speed hits the hollow door to the connecting room hard about 6 times before I could grab him. It sounded like someone was trying to break in to the room. Needless to say it about gave my Dad a heart attack as he is about the lightest sleeper I know. Not funny then but pretty funny now.

We hit the road at 7:30 the next morning and didn't stop till Catavina were we like to get breakfast if we don't stop at Momma's. We have been stopping at the place accross the street from the desert Inn. We all had Corizo and were on the road in about 30-40 minutes. The drive was uneventful and smooth. The road is in good to fair shape the whole way down. We thought because of the hurricane there might be some rough spots but all was good until we got to the gulf side. The 4 check points in the usual spots were quick with just wave throughs and the 20 peso bug spray at GN was just that no fruit or visa inspection.

We got to Santa Rosalia around 2:00. The town still had a lot of mud and some road damage but it looked pretty good all things considered. Seeing how big the arroyo's got with water was ammazing in some areas the water must have been 100 meters or more across. The new bridge construction south of Santa Rosalia was still intact and still under construction although it looks like they are getting close to being done.

The dirt road out to Punta Chivato was in pretty bad shape but better then expected.

The family and I spent a week, cleanning up, swimming, riding motorcycles, playing games, raeding and generally just having a great relaxing time.

We went to Mulege on Thursday to drop off some donations at the hospital that I collected from my Rotary club in Carlsbad (high-noon club). Randy from the Mulege Rotatay club has been doing a ton of work to help raise money and donations and we were gald we could help a little bit. It seemed like the damage was worse this time then from John. There was a lot of damage but like Sanat Rosalia people were cleaning up and getting on with there lives. The area south of the river just looked devastated.

I have found over the years and this trip simply cemented the thought in my mind that the people of southern Baja are very resilient people. They to start the rebuilding process very quickly.

We had diner at La Serinidad because of the hurricane our choices were fish, lobster, scallops, or shrimp. It was great and we had a nice evening diner toped off with a stop at the ice cream shop in Mulege.

The weather all week was nice until the last few days. The first several days were hot hot upper 90's and just a slight breeze. The sea must have been in the mid 80's which is were we spent most of our time. About half way through the week the wind picked up and blew strong the reat of the week and the temp's lowered to the 80 and even one day were I don't think we got out of the 70's. We even got 2 days of light rain off and on and about 3 days of grey skys. This posed a slight problem as the hurricane destroyed our wind power generators and the grey skys made for not great solar panel weather. We were fine and we always had enough power to keep the beers cold.

For those out there wondering camping beach is still closed and they even have a guy that sits there most of the day making sure you are not campping. You can go there and snorkel, picnic, beach comb etc... as we did 3 days you just can't stay over night. The fish life was awesome and my kids and I would have contests to see who could find the most unique sealife. My 9 year old son has gotten really good at spotting the stone fish, we saw several. I think he likes them because they are poisionous and my 12 year old daughter spends her time looking in cracks for eels (found 4 or 5) and stuff. They would stay in the water so long that we would actually start to get cold

The kids helped their Grandma and Mom with projects like building a fence out of old cactus wood, doing a tile mosaic on the palapa, and generaly just having a great time being kids and doing what kids do. While Dad and I spent 1-3 hours a day on our projects, fixing leaks, fans, doors, plumbing, Solar, etc...

The week came to an end and we were all very bummed to be leaving. As usual the inspections going north were a little more through, about 5-10 minutes per car of which there were 3 in our group. We drove to Jardines and had a great dinner and a good night rest and then headed to the border the next morning. However not before changing a flat tire that I got on the dirt road on the way in the night before. I must have hit a big rock because there was a big gash right in the middle of the tred. Thankfully we had bought the tires from discount tires with the $19 insurance so when I got back to Encinitas they replaced the $200 tire for nothing.

Both coming and going we saw very little American and Canadian traffic in fact on the way down we only had one camper pass us on the way north and we only had to pass maybe a half a dozen trucks. On the way north we saw maybe a dozen campers heading south.

To end the trip in a nice way we only had a 45 minute border wait at 1:00 on Sunday afternoon and we were back home 45 minutes after that. All in all a great October trip which is always one of our favorite times of the year to go down.

David K - 10-13-2009 at 03:35 PM

Thanks for that!

Bajahowodd - 10-13-2009 at 04:34 PM

Moose- Great trip. Great report. Just a couple of observations. I'm assuming that you stayed at the Desert Inn in San Quintin. Always wondered why they didn't "trick" the place out a bit, as it is, or should be considered a great destination resort type place. Second, it appears you ate across the street from the Desert Inn at Catavina. It's probably just me, but in off the grid places like that I just tend to go with the folks that I know have 24 hour power. Just think it would be awful to get sick there, with so much trip ahead. Finally, I'm not sure what Guillermo and Carmen's plans are, but it would seem to me that they really could do with more rooms. I know they had plans for more. But, given this slow economy, if they still sell out many nights, it should be a no-brainer to build more rooms to be ready for the crowds after the recession.

mulegemichael - 10-13-2009 at 05:45 PM

isnt it fernando and carmen?...no sey...at las jardines es verdad..

DianaT - 10-13-2009 at 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by mulegemichael
isnt it fernando and carmen?...no sey...at las jardines es verdad..

The owner's I believe are Guillermo and Carmen, but there was a young man working there the last time we were there and I do not remember his name. Fernando could also be the name of one of the sons.

bajario - 10-13-2009 at 06:49 PM

Great report! I'd love to get a trip like that in w/ the kids and my Pops sooner than later.

mulegemichael - 10-13-2009 at 07:23 PM

whatever the name; our favorite hotel in all of baja...they are just so gracious hosts

Pacifico - 10-14-2009 at 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bajahowodd
Moose- Great trip. Great report. Just a couple of observations. I'm assuming that you stayed at the Desert Inn in San Quintin. Always wondered why they didn't "trick" the place out a bit, as it is, or should be considered a great destination resort type place. Second, it appears you ate across the street from the Desert Inn at Catavina. It's probably just me, but in off the grid places like that I just tend to go with the folks that I know have 24 hour power. Just think it would be awful to get sick there, with so much trip ahead. Finally, I'm not sure what Guillermo and Carmen's plans are, but it would seem to me that they really could do with more rooms. I know they had plans for more. But, given this slow economy, if they still sell out many nights, it should be a no-brainer to build more rooms to be ready for the crowds after the recession.

Guillermo gave us a little tour when we were just there and they are adding rooms as we speak. He is currently finishing the old kitchen area right now. He said he will have many rooms when complete. He also has plans for moving the office out to the front of the parking area and then securing the parking area with a wall (I think he said.) He is a super nice guy....I don't know if Fernando is their son or not, but he is usually the young guy at the front desk.

mooose29 - 10-14-2009 at 12:01 PM

Fernando

Is the young guy that works the desk many nights. Carmen has told us that they do plan on adding rooms as they often have to turn people away.

Russ - 10-14-2009 at 01:41 PM

I'm heading back Saturday. I really miss it but don't realize how much until I've been in the States for awhile.

DianaT - 10-14-2009 at 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Pacifico

Guillermo gave us a little tour when we were just there and they are adding rooms as we speak. He is currently finishing the old kitchen area right now. He said he will have many rooms when complete. He also has plans for moving the office out to the front of the parking area and then securing the parking area with a wall (I think he said.) He is a super nice guy....I don't know if Fernando is their son or not, but he is usually the young guy at the front desk.

One tour Guillermo really loves to give is one of all his plants and he does have a variety of absolutely beautiful plants.

If they move the office, I sure hope they keep the coffee pot in the patio. :yes:

Besides being a beautiful setting and really nice rooms, I think one of the things that has made this hotel such a word of mouth success is the fact that the owners are there on the property.

Not only do they make everyone feel welcome, they are there most of the time keeping an eye on all that is done. Absentee ownership never works quite as well. Was not very long ago when reservations were not needed----

Their success is well deserved.

Moose, enjoyed reading your trip report---thanks

[Edited on 10-14-2009 by DianaT]

Posada-BushPilot - 10-14-2009 at 03:23 PM

Moose,
Thanks for a great report. Sorry I missed you when you were here but thanks for bringing your donations including the generous financial one from your Rotary Club in Carlsbad!

Hope you can return sometime this fall or winter.

Randy

SunnyDay - 10-18-2009 at 10:42 PM

No hope for camping (as in parked camper van, self-contained vs. tent) at Punta Chivato at all? Ever? Why did they close it off? With all the big beautiful homes I'm not surprised, but it sure took a while.

Bajahowodd - 10-18-2009 at 10:54 PM

The Jardines hotel was originally the home of Guillermo and Carmen. They have been gradually building it out as a hotel. The last time we stayed there, Carmen mentioned that the room we were in was originally her livingroom. Yes, Nomads, these are genuinely sweet people who deserve our business.

ncampion - 10-19-2009 at 07:58 AM

Great report, we're heading down to Loreto next week. One question about the border crossing going South. Were you stopped at all? Any inspection of the cars etc. We heard that they are stopping a lot more cars than they used to. Thanks

mooose29 - 10-20-2009 at 11:24 AM

On the US side they did not check us but were spot checking some cars. On the Mexican side we were in the declare area and it was the usual red light green light thing. We got the Green light ;D

With the no campping on campping beach question it is because a large corporation KRCC (I think was the name) bought the land at the point that the beach sits in front of and has plans to build a mega resort any day now :lol::lol::lol: So far they have a fence up and a guard hut with a worker in it that writes down licnese plate numbers when you go in to use the beach.

Who knows what the future has in store for the point???