BajaNomad

Santa Rosalia Yellowtail

Pescador - 10-23-2009 at 05:21 PM

The reports have all been pretty bad here since the bait situation is really deplorable but we managed to go out to Tortuga today and find a good amount of Green Mackeral which meant that the yellowtail were willing to bite. I must admit this is the first time I caught bait on the bottom in 600 foot of water and I was so tired from pulling the bait off of the bottom that I almost did not want to put down for the big yellows that were hungry. We did manage 12 yellows and one really big amberjack so there are fish there and all one needs to fill the cooler is to get more bait.
It may be easier to go over to the pacific side where they are nailing the tuna and yellowtail.

woody with a view - 10-23-2009 at 05:25 PM

mackerel 600 feet down?

:?:

flyfishinPam - 10-23-2009 at 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Pescador
.. I must admit this is the first time I caught bait on the bottom in 600 foot of water and I was so tired from pulling the bait off of the bottom that I almost did not want to put down for the big yellows that were hungry. ...

I can certainly relate to that! Isn't it weird though how the adrenalin just takes over?

amberjack woww love it

amirravon - 10-24-2009 at 03:14 AM

Quote:
The reports have all been pretty bad here since the bait situation is really deplorable but we managed to go out to Tortuga today and find a good amount of Green Mackeral which meant that the yellowtail were willing to bite. I must admit this is the first time I caught bait on the bottom in 600 foot of water and I was so tired from pulling the bait off of the bottom that I almost did not want to put down for the big yellows that were hungry. We did manage 12 yellows and one really big amberjack so there are fish there and all one needs to fill the cooler is to get more bait.
It may be easier to go over to the pacific side where they are nailing the tuna and yellowtail.

Any way you can post a picx of this amberjack, my favorite fish at the Mediterranean sea . will you share your knowledge about this amazing fish at the Cortes / SR area ? is he like the YT ? any info re this fish behavior will appreciate. Thanks

[Edited on 10-24-2009 by amirravon]

Pescador - 10-24-2009 at 08:48 AM

Amberjacks o Almaco Jacksare of the same family as Pacific Yellowtail but are broader shoudered fish and are rarely seen as frequently as their cousins, the Yellowtail. They inhabit pretty much the same area of reefs but normally a little shallower and pretty much eat the same type of baitfish that Yellowtail prefer. Most catches are incidental while fishing for Yellowtail or Cabrilla and they will eat live bait, trolled plugs like Rapalas, and can be taken on a fly rod. This time of the year they are lower in the water column as they do not relate to the 80+ degree water we now have in the Sea of Cortez.
The Mexicans call them Pez Fuerte meaning Strong Fish and they are a true bulldog when hooked on a rod and reel. The flesh of the amberjack is very similar to a Pacific Yellowtail and may have a little pink tone to it but I think they are almost the same. Because they are a seldom seen fish they have a certain allure to them and some people claim they are much tastier than a yellowtail but I think if they were prepared the same way they would be hard to tell apart.
They have a beautiful golden hue unlike the yellowtail which has color bands.

Amberjack.jpg - 33kB

bog - 10-24-2009 at 08:57 AM

nice fish

durrelllrobert - 10-24-2009 at 08:58 AM

Quote:
Amberjacks o Almaco Jacksare of the same family as Pacific Yellowtail but are broader shoudered fish and are rarely seen as frequently as their cousins, the Yellowtail.

Number 2 fish, after grouper, in Florida restraunts:coolup:

amirravon - 10-24-2009 at 04:36 PM

Thanks for the replay Pascador , very interesting . i will hope to hooked some amberjack my next trip to santa rosalia . the fish in your pix look much darker than the Mediterranean amberjack.
I tryed to add a pix but didn't figure it out , hare is a link to Mediterranean amberjack that i spearfishing , i hope it will work

http://picasaweb.google.com/amirravon/AmberjackPix#539631577...

[Edited on 10-24-2009 by amirravon]

mulegejim - 10-24-2009 at 06:03 PM

Pescador, great fish - must have been one heck of a fight. You are correct in that they eat much like yellowtail, however, I actually like them a little better - that is just a personal opinion. We go to a Japanese resuarant in Dana Point, CA often and when they have amberjack I always get an order of it. I am in Mulege at this moment and wanted to get to Tortuga but it just did not work out. Maybe next trip.