BajaNomad

New Baja Almanac

bajacrawler - 10-31-2009 at 03:18 PM

I just bought a copy of the new Baja Almanac at the San Felipe Title Company (Book Store) in San Felipe today. They had a stack of them sitting on the floor. He had just picked them up in San Diego. The only problem is they are big. They are about 10 3/4 wide by 15 1/2 inches high.

[Edited on 10-31-2009 by bajacrawler]

David K - 10-31-2009 at 03:20 PM

WOW!!! :bounce::bounce::bounce::P

[Edited on 11-4-2009 by David K]

surfer jim - 10-31-2009 at 07:38 PM

How much?

bajacrawler - 10-31-2009 at 09:10 PM

$24.95 plus $2.50 tax.

ArvadaGeorge - 11-1-2009 at 05:49 AM

Can we get them on line?

Dianamo - 11-1-2009 at 06:46 AM

I don't find the new one on Amazon.com, but there are two used one:

Baja California Almanac by Baja Almanac Publishers (Paperback - April 2003)
2 Used & new from $90.00

elgatoloco - 11-2-2009 at 12:40 AM

http://www.baja-almanac.com/contact-faq/

bajaguy - 11-2-2009 at 07:23 AM

I'm in for three!!!!!!....now just need some Baja Nomad T-shirts!!!!!!!

David K - 11-2-2009 at 08:06 AM

Looks good... the sample map shows that there are new additions... including the short cut near Santa Gertrudis between the Punta San Francisquito road and Guillermo Prieto (near Vizcaino): http://www.baja-almanac.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/10/baja_...

beachbum1A - 11-2-2009 at 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajacrawler
I just bought a copy of the new Baja Almanac at the San Felipe Title Company (Book Store) in San Felipe today. They had a stack of them sitting on the floor. He had just picked them up in San Diego. The only problem is they are big. They are about 10 3/4 wide by 15 1/2 inches high.

[Edited on 10-31-2009 by bajacrawler]

You must be under 60 y/o? Over 60, 'big' is good (most of the time.) :lol:

Martyman - 11-2-2009 at 09:13 AM

Yipee! Just ordered mine. My friend with the old one ain't got nuthin' on me now.

geoffff - 11-2-2009 at 09:23 AM

Here's my GPS track from a year ago plotted on the sample map (using OziExplorer). The real latitude/longitude grid and tick marks are nice, but the map still doesn't seem perfectly calibrated with reality. On this image, the road south from San Rafeal has improved, but still doesn't exactly match my experience.

In any case, I just ordered my copy!

-- Geoff

David K - 11-2-2009 at 10:12 AM

Discover Baja Travel Club will have them for sale... 10% discount for club members. I just got off the phone with Carol...

Discover Baja is at their new location off Governor Drive, San Diego (between I-5 and I-805)... directions/ map at http://www.discoverbaja.com/contact.html

Gaucho - 11-2-2009 at 12:16 PM

Just ordered mine from their website.
:tumble:
If you pay using PayPal and have it debited right from your checking account they give you a $5.00 credit.

grmpb - 11-2-2009 at 01:04 PM

just ordered mine. they better get ready for a second printing! when was the last one published??

Casey67 - 11-2-2009 at 01:37 PM

Not a moment too soon. I ordered one too.

I think the last one was published in 2003.

BajaNaranja - 11-2-2009 at 04:36 PM

Just ordered a pair of 'em, can't believe they are finally available...

bacquito - 11-2-2009 at 06:19 PM

Yup, I ordered mine today. I'm thinking about ordering one more.

Casey67 - 11-2-2009 at 06:36 PM

Good call on ordering a second or more. This line in their FAQ is possibly concerning: Q:Will this stay in print? A: A limited quantity have been printed. First come first serve.

I'll probably take my chances and pick up a second at DBTC or such on my way down if they're still available in 6-12 weeks.

Udo - 11-2-2009 at 06:38 PM

I never thought i'd see this day!
I just ordered one plus a spare for the RV.

dizzyspots - 11-2-2009 at 06:54 PM

Ordered mine today as well

David K - 11-2-2009 at 10:26 PM

After I posted this morning, I got a call back from Discover Baja saying they got the okay from Landon to begin selling today... and then an email was sent out to DB members:

BAJA CALIFORNIA ALMANAC IS NOW AVAILABLE!!!

The Almanac is now at Discover Baja Travel Club! The new, completely revised and updated Almanac brings you the latest full-color topographic maps detailing every inch of Mexico's Baja California peninsula. With over 10,000 entries, the new Baja Almanac lets you pinpoint any location anywhere in Baja down to the most remote ranch or campsite. A must have for any Baja traveler. Price is $24.95 but Discover Baja members pay only $22.45 plus tax and shipping.

Call now 800-727-2252 to have your copies sent or stop by our office -- 3264 Governor Drive, San Diego CA 92122 and pick up a copy.

Discover Baja Travel Club
(619) 275-4225
(800) 727-2252
(858) 458-0722 Fax
www.discoverbaja.com

I am picking mine up tomorrow! Now, will I be able to get any work down with those books in my truck begging to be studied! LOL

I will post my list of errors (that all maps have), just as I did after the 2003 edition was in our hands. It is all in good fun...

Hasta Mañana amigos!

Oggie - 11-3-2009 at 05:18 PM

I just picked-up two copies at Discover Baja today.

David i must have just missed you!

SEE THE NEW ALMANAC

David K - 11-3-2009 at 06:08 PM

>>>Oggie

posted on 11-3-2009 at 04:18 PM
I just picked-up two copies at Discover Baja today.

David i must have just missed you! <<<

Sorry I missed meeting you! I was there for about 30 minutes around 10 am...

I picked up my copies of Landon's new Baja California Almanac this morning at Discover Baja (members get a discount, and no shipping charge).

Well, it is BIGGER (as noted above)... almost as big as the original Baja Topo Atlas. Unfortunately, it is not the original Atlas large scale (1" = ~1.75 mile). In fact, it is slightly smaller scale than the 2003/ 1998 (previous editions) which was 1"= ~ 4 miles... The 2009 scale is 1" = ~ 5.5 miles.

Instead of 55 maps to cover Baja, the new Almanac covers the peninsula with just 22 maps... They do overlap and that is an improvement to following your route from one page to the next.

I did a quick look, and I am impressed... Landon did a pretty good job... and we are all glad he put out a new edition!

The paved roads to the Observatory, Asuncion and Abreojos are shown. Tortugas too, but he notes that is under construction. The section of pavement south from San Juanico (Scorpion Bay) is shown, as well. Blvd. 2000 and the Mexicali 'Libramiento' are also shown.

The short cut to Santa Gertrudis/ San Francisquito is shown... the correct Valle Chico road to Matomi is finally shown... but the Azufre Pass (Parral) 'fence line' road is not shown (the old track route is)... Arroyo el Volcan is still shown as the next arroyo south (as before). Ensenada de San Francisquito (the bigger part of Gonzaga Bay) is listed in the right area, but called 'Bahia' instead of Ensenada de.

Good edits to the previous edition include changing from 'road' to 'trail' the west way to Mision Santa Maria (over the mountain from Hwy. 1), and removing the road between San Francisco de la Sierra to Santa Marta (which never was a road).

However, the foot trail to Los Dolores is still shown as a road. La Pasion ruins is not shown in the correct location. A good edit is removing the 'mission' of Santa Maria Magdalena from near Mulege... It was not there, nor was a mission.

So, some minor negative stuff... but nothing to prevent all of you from getting one (or more) copies...

All in all a lot of very good changes... I recommend you all get some!

Here are some photo of the new Almanac and the previous ones...

David K - 11-4-2009 at 09:16 AM

Another good edit with the new Almanac is the road to San Juan de Dios is correctly shown going north from the SJDD River crossing.

The 'new' dirt road from Laguna Chapala to the Pacific isn't in it, however... nor is the new road in the San Pedro Martir foothills, or the mine road north of El Aguila (near San Agustin) towards Puertecitos.

Just thumbing through... Please get yours and let us know what you find!

schwlind - 11-4-2009 at 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by udowinkler

I just ordered 10 via telephone... No problem...

Really looking forward to receiving them in 7 to 10 business days!
Linda

David K - 11-4-2009 at 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by schwlind
Quote:

Linda

Christmas presents???:light:

mtgoat666 - 11-4-2009 at 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
The 2009 scale is 1" = ~ 5.5 miles.

1:348480. Couldn't the publisher haven chose a more usable or more common scale?

David K - 11-4-2009 at 10:37 PM

Hmmm.... maybe ask the publisher? These are Mexican government topo maps and Landon has added to or edited them. As far as the scale, just what it turned out to be when the maps were sized to fit the pages.

Bob H - 11-5-2009 at 12:43 AM

David, you've got it ALL man.....

I ordered my new alamanac Today! My old one is DESTRoyED!

Bob H

schwlind - 11-5-2009 at 06:36 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by schwlind
Quote:

Linda

Christmas presents???:light:

Yup! I think the Almanac would make a great present!

Linda

[Edited on 11-5-2009 by schwlind]

Taco de Baja - 11-5-2009 at 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Gaucho
Just ordered mine from their website.
:tumble:
If you pay using PayPal and have it debited right from your checking account they give you a $5.00 credit.

Did not work that way for me....But, I ordered anyway :yes:

Can't wait to see it

bacquito - 11-5-2009 at 09:40 AM

ordered two for myself.

805gregg - 11-8-2009 at 07:12 PM

Just got mine, great service, I'm torn between this version and my older combo version. I like the smaller size of the previous addition.

bbbait - 11-8-2009 at 08:33 PM

David, great review and thanks for the photos. No one on here comes close to your editing abilities.... Just in time for Christmas!

[Edited on 11/9/2009 by bbbait]

danamite - 11-9-2009 at 12:35 AM

Well, well, well.... he finally came through, after a 4 year long wait.

I am so excited to hear about these new versions, as I previously sold hundreds per month of this book & it was my #1 seller. I did get the mass email on MON NOV 1 & the publisher has not answered my emails or calls about getting 100+ at a wholesale rate.

Does anyone know where I can EASILY obtain these Almanacs as a retailer?

DanaMite
Total Escape - California, Off the Beaten Path
http://www.totalescape.com

Where I've been
http://www.flickr.com/photos/danamite/sets/

Hook - 11-9-2009 at 12:44 AM

What's the big deal? Has the four year wait turned this into some kind of cult magazine that is indispensible? Wouldnt it be wise to see how accurate it is and how practical the scale is for use with a GPS?

I mean, it's not like it has the Secret Surfing and Fishing Spots of the Seven Sisters or the Secret Lost Missions of the Jesuits and the Franciscans marked on it.

Uh...............does it???????:o

bajaguy - 11-9-2009 at 08:58 AM

Maybe he should have hired DavidK as a fact checker

Diver - 11-9-2009 at 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajaguy
Maybe he should have hired DavidK as a fat checker

:lol::lol::lol:

David K - 11-9-2009 at 12:19 PM

Contacting Landon is not easy... He has never responded to emails or messages sent via personal friends or retailers.

I do go over the Almanacs looking for edits and new roads to add. Maps and Baja details are of interest to me.

Let me tell you all, the new Almanac is better as far as new roads added, some mistakes of the past fixed, etc.

I found almost no errors with this edition, none should cause anyone from not getting it.

woody with a view - 11-9-2009 at 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Hook
What's the big deal? Has the four year wait turned this into some kind of cult magazine that is indispensible? Wouldnt it be wise to see how accurate it is and how practical the scale is for use with a GPS?

I mean, it's not like it has the Secret Surfing and Fishing Spots of the Seven Sisters or the Secret Lost Missions of the Jesuits and the Franciscans marked on it.

Uh...............does it???????:o

don't start, Hook!!!

David K - 11-9-2009 at 03:01 PM

Relax, Woody's SECRET SURF SPOT or my LOST MISSIONS are NOT in it!:lol::lol::lol::light::cool:

surfer jim - 11-9-2009 at 04:18 PM

Just got mine in the mail.....ordered on internet late last week...my copy shows the secret surf spots (you just have to know where to look):saint:

Taco de Baja - 11-9-2009 at 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by surfer jim
Just got mine in the mail.....ordered on internet late last week...my copy shows the secret surf spots (you just have to know where to look):saint:

The Seven Sister's are, of course, on page 7. :light: ......
Or are they? :P

Bajahowodd - 11-9-2009 at 04:59 PM

And where are the Tres Virgenes?

motoged - 11-9-2009 at 05:23 PM

Quote:
Relax, Woody's SECRET SURF SPOT or my LOST MISSIONS are NOT in it!:lol::lol::lol::light::cool:

David,
Would you please be kind enough to forward a link to your Almanac drawing of that shortcut between San Francisquito and Santa Gertrudis turnoff? If I have that, I won't need the new Almanac.

Your hand-drawn route is either on an almanac map or the AAA map....either works for me.

I have ridden it several times either way, but want to provide an accurate link to a friend.

Thanks

TMW - 11-9-2009 at 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by motoged
Quote:

David,
Would you please be kind enough to forward a link to your Almanac drawing of that shortcut between San Francisquito and Santa Gertrudis turnoff? If I have that, I won't need the new Almanac.

Your hand-drawn route is either on an almanac map or the AAA map....either works for me.

I have ridden it several times either way, but want to provide an accurate link to a friend.

Thanks

No David don't be giving out secert info until they pass the cult blood hand shake and midnight run to the cave on shell beach.

David K - 11-9-2009 at 08:42 PM

Quote:
Quote:

David,

Thanks

It shows on the sample map on the Almanac web page... I have posted it on the 2003 Almanac and AAA map many times... Let's see if I can dig those up...

David K - 11-9-2009 at 08:47 PM

The link to the 2009 sample with that part of Baja... is above... posted earlier in this thread.

Here is the 2003 Almanac with that road drawn in...

This map is from my El Camino Real from space series... the numbers and arrows point to places where I saved a photo of the Camino Real from Google Earth. Anyway, the shortcut road is drawn in.

Below is the AAA map, and I drew in the northern half of the short cut, with mileage... Not sure why AAA didn't drive it when they mapped the southern section?

[Edited on 11-10-2009 by David K]

Guillermo-r.JPG - 42kB

motoged - 11-9-2009 at 09:57 PM

David,

So Many Thank Yous....Muchas Gracias Todos Tiempos

On that road....

David K - 11-10-2009 at 09:41 AM

El gusto es mio, amigo!

Happy Trails!

Casey67 - 11-16-2009 at 06:30 PM

If you're not living in the US, don't bother trying to order the almanac from the [expletive withheld] site. I received this today, a full two weeks after placing my order. The complications of ~$2 more for postage to Canada must have overwhelmed them for days.

"Sir, We are not setup to ship international Almanac orders. A refund has been issued to your account. To order please visit www.discoverbaja.com, they can process international orders. Thank you, Baja Almanac Publishers"

I should be leaving within 5 weeks so I'll take my chances at picking up the new one at DBTC on the way through since ordering through the DBTC website isn't a simple online affair. If I can't get one there I don't think I'll bother. Given the 1.5 year publishing delay and now this, I can't say that I'm all that interested in supporting the Baja Almanac people any further than my 2003 edition.

[Edited on 17-11-2009 by Casey67]

woody with a view - 11-16-2009 at 06:38 PM

hey Casey

i agree. all the places are right where they have always been!:light:

mulegemichael - 11-16-2009 at 07:49 PM

david, i must say, that while i disagree with your right wing extremist outlook on life as it is, you are a true gentleman and guide to this baja that we all love...thank you

motoged - 11-16-2009 at 10:34 PM

Yeah !!!!:light:

We don't need no new stinkin' Almanac...we have David:cool:

He knows where what is at and forwards map pics to prove it....along with his trip photos:saint:

David K - 11-16-2009 at 11:15 PM

Thanks Ged and Michael...

Since Landon doesn't sell direct to Canada, order from Discover Baja Travel Club... or pick them up in San Diego when you are down here... Remember, they recently moved a couple miles away from their old site. Get address off their web site... It is real easy to get to off I-5.

I am sure Landon has already distributed them on the peninsula, so you can buy them at places down there. Kim Williams in El Rosario (Baja Maps and Fossil shop) is a distributor for Landon, as well. They were first sold in San Felipe and that's how we found out on Nomad.

[Edited on 11-17-2009 by David K]

Martyman - 11-17-2009 at 09:59 AM

I'm so glad we are cutting off the canucks. Ever since my kid started playing ice hockey I've had to spend about $4000 usd every year. Let see that 7 years X 4000 = $28,000. Thats about 40 trips to baja that I got shorted on. I blame Canada and their national sport, Ice Hockey.

It's too bad canadian girls are cuter then americans.

motoged - 11-17-2009 at 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Martyman
It's too bad canadian girls are cuter then americans.

MM,
Tell ya what.....keep the map. we'll keep the cuties...:light::lol:

Casey67 - 11-17-2009 at 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Martyman
I'm so glad we are cutting off the canucks. Ever since my kid started playing ice hockey I've had to spend about $4000 usd every year. Let see that 7 years X 4000 = $28,000. Thats about 40 trips to baja that I got shorted on. I blame Canada and their national sport, Ice Hockey.

Sorry about the whole hockey thing :tumble:

Almanac's in El Rosario

Fred-o - 11-17-2009 at 11:28 AM

I saw one for sale (Maybe they had more) at Mama Espanosas' (sp) last week. It was all wraped in cellophane so it could not be perused. Maybe they get them from Kim, I don't know.

DENNIS - 11-17-2009 at 11:38 AM

OK, hockey people. Lemme ask....did anyone ever punch Wayne Gretsky? I think it would have been like punching Jesus.

motoged - 11-17-2009 at 11:41 AM

Wayne wouldn't turn the other cheek....he would buy the team and fire the guy;D

DENNIS - 11-17-2009 at 11:43 AM

Quote:
Wayne wouldn't turn the other cheek....he would buy the team and fire the guy;D

Ah yes. The Donald Trump method. :light:

bajalou - 11-17-2009 at 01:44 PM

For those of you that have the new Atlas, I have noted the following error

The Lat/Long on pages 5-6-7 is incorrect. The Lat/Long shown on those pages really is the data for page 4 and has just been copied to the later pages.

David K - 11-17-2009 at 02:39 PM

Lou, that is a serious typo/ error!

Are you going to send a letter to landon about it? On the contents page he says that he welcomes comments, errors, etc. for future printings... and gives the Las Vegas mailing address.

Thanks, I didn't even look at the numbers along the edge... !!

Taco de Baja - 11-17-2009 at 02:47 PM

So the whole northern portion of Baja on these maps is now useless with a GPS....:( Hope he sends out a correction.

David K - 11-17-2009 at 03:27 PM

Not useless... but (only) the LATITUDE numbers on pages/ maps 5, 6, 7 need to be edited if you are looking to find a spot by GPS.

On 5 & 6: the latitude changes: 31º needs to be 30º (the minutes are fine). On 7: 31º needs to be 29º and the one 30º needs to be 28º.

The longitude lines all look to be fine...

David K - 11-17-2009 at 03:48 PM

I just spoke to Discover Baja and asked them to let Landon know of the mis-print of latitude numbers on those 3 pages.

BIG thank you to Lou! Good eyes!!

David K - 11-17-2009 at 04:28 PM

More latitude errors... I checked the rest of the maps to see if the same mistake was made elsewhere:

Map 12 right side only latitude figures are all wrong, should be the same numbers as on the left side.

Map 18 degree figures on both sides are all wrong: the 25º numbers should all be 24º, and the 26º numbers should all be 25º.

That's all folks (I hope)!!

Oso - 11-17-2009 at 05:20 PM

Got mine today, ordered online last week. Noticed a few errors right away. Aside from spelling- Gulfo, Cuidad, it says the San Luis border crossing is open from 6AM to 8PM. Jeez, if that were true we'd never get any lettuce picked. It's been 24/7 for many years. Ihe lechugueros are usually in line by 4AM in the winter.
Lately it's been taking almost as long to cross into Mexico as it does to get back. No more green light, everybody gets searched for guns or cash.

Bajahowodd - 11-17-2009 at 05:37 PM

Does anyone here just head down and play it by ear? Maybe I'm an old fart who cannot embrace modern technology, but I've always considered that a good part of the fun was to wing it. Just a minor rant here about GPS and alike, but hey, doesn't some of this mierda just sem to make it too easy? Are our progeny going to lack the basic kills to survive in the event of a widespread power outage? I look at it as a nice toy. But there are major implications.

David K - 11-17-2009 at 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bajahowodd
Does anyone here just head down and play it by ear? Maybe I'm an old fart who cannot embrace modern technology, but I've always considered that a good part of the fun was to wing it. Just a minor rant here about GPS and alike, but hey, doesn't some of this mierda just sem to make it too easy? Are our progeny going to lack the basic kills to survive in the event of a widespread power outage? I look at it as a nice toy. But there are major implications.

Sure... we are just noting the human side of the maps... anyone making maps or writing guides can miss stuff like what Lou and I found on the maps... Because our minds see the stuff the way we think it, and not necessarily the way it is, in print. Imported to have copy editors (proof readers) that are unrelated to the project go over it.

I think Landon does this all alone... and the Almanac is one fine set of maps for Baja even with the errors/ typos.

Yes, I saw El 'Gulfo' right away... it was in my list I sent to Landon last week. Gypsy's is also no more, but is in the Almanac, etc.

The good far outweighs the bad... :light:

[Edited on 11-18-2009 by David K]

CortezBlue - 11-17-2009 at 09:03 PM

For all of you know it alls, give the guy a break and contact him directly in stead of trying to strut your stuff.
The poor buy probably busted his ass and then has to get knocked publicly.

David K - 11-17-2009 at 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by CortezBlue
For all of you know it alls, give the guy a break and contact him directly in stead of trying to strut your stuff.
The poor buy probably busted his burro and then has to get knocked publicly.

Cortez Blue, you might not be including me in your post above, but ifyou are...

I am one of Landon's biggest fans and try to promote his Almanac at every post. There has always been a link to his web site in mine, etc.

I have never met him, nor has he ever contacted me. I pay the same for an Almanac as you...

I think it is better that his fans let others know of any mistakes rather than angry customers who expect a map to be perfect or close.

I have sent Landon a letter last week per his request in the book... and today tried to get the word to him about the new findings...

All in order for him to have a near-perfect map of Baja!

I think Lou wants the same and is not being mean by mentioning the errors/ typos...

The Baja Almanac 2009 is a MUST HAVE for Baja travels, even with these errors!

oldjack - 11-18-2009 at 02:39 PM

Maybe an "Errata" could be published!!! I think that is the name/spelling of corrections to content that some publishers put out with new printings... I have ordered the almanac and yet to receive....

danamite - 11-23-2009 at 01:33 PM

20+ days and nothing.
After 3 phone calls and 3 emails this month to the publisher on the said web site, Landon obviously doesn't really wanna sell his maps at wholesale anymore. He seems to be ignoring his retail and online vendors - or possibly the case, he and his crew could be overwhelmed w/ the strong demand. Did he print enough this time, to make himself profit yet?

So I wait so patiently and try to find a supplier of these new books.

I need over 100 copies wholesale (immediately). Someone please contact me if you have any leads.

DanaMite

Where I've been

NEW Almanac...

sc-surfer - 11-29-2009 at 02:52 PM

I bought 3:spingrin: One to use, and two more to sell in a couple of years to finance further Baja adventures!!:lol:

David K - 11-29-2009 at 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by danamite
20+ days and nothing.
After 3 phone calls and 3 emails this month to the publisher on the said web site, Landon obviously doesn't really wanna sell his maps at wholesale anymore. He seems to be ignoring his retail and online vendors - or possibly the case, he and his crew could be overwhelmed w/ the strong demand. Did he print enough this time, to make himself profit yet?

So I wait so patiently and try to find a supplier of these new books.

I need over 100 copies wholesale (immediately). Someone please contact me if you have any leads.

DanaMite

Where I've been

Well? Anything... ? Kind of like being in Mexico... you need to be patient... it will be there mañana!

David K - 11-29-2009 at 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by sc-surfer
I bought 3:spingrin: One to use, and two more to sell in a couple of years to finance further Baja adventures!!:lol:

I also bought 3... 1 to mark up/ wear out, 1 for my Baja bookcase and 1 for my truck... Although the idea of buying several for future ebay sales when this one is out of print did cross my mind!:light:

motoged - 11-30-2009 at 11:14 AM

Folks,
What I did with my last Almanac was to scan it and print copies of pages I needed when travelling Baja.:light:

Why buy a bunch of copies?:?:

That way, sharing a map is way easier...

bajalera - 11-30-2009 at 03:18 PM

Howodd, your post took me back to the good old days when we got to places by following directions like, "If you come to a burned-out white pickup you've gone too far, go back to where you could first see the Gulf and take the first right."

GPS is safer but that was funner.

Desertbull - 12-1-2009 at 03:06 PM

a couple of my buddies, Frijolero, for one, got his map books in the mail before Thanksgiving and new Baja Almanac is missing complete whole pages from his, such as page #2 is missing and the left half of page #2 is mixed up with the right half of page #3 and the page numbered "iii" is printed where the right hand of page #4 should be...:lol:

he said he's waiting for Landon to call him back or return his email :bounce: he said all his new map books are exactly the same, we just spent 30 minutes comparing almanacs, the second printing must have been printed under the influence...or he was sitting there smiling saying "I'll get those guys," maybe he printed the second set when the shipment of wine arrived after cashing my check for the first batch I purchased...

i:cool::cool::cool::cool:

David K - 12-1-2009 at 03:21 PM

I got my three at Discover Baja Travel Club within a week of their being made available (first ones sold were in San Felipe, posted on Nomad)... and all was there... bajalou found the latitude number errors on maps 5, 6, 7. I found latitude number errors on maps 12, 18... and El Golfo de Santa Clara is spelled Gulfo (but that isn't even in Baja).

So Landon did miss having some proof checking of his work done... but sounds like your friend got really a fried up version!

Take it to Discover Baja (as the only U.S. distributor we know of at the monment) and see if they will just exchange his and give the mis-printed ones back to Landon when they see him again.

The maps are good... better than the last edition other than the typo or printing errors with the latitude figures along the sides of the maps named.

David K - 12-1-2009 at 04:34 PM

2009 Almanac latitude corrections to pencil in:

On Maps 5 & 6, the latitude changes to make: All the 31º figures needs to be 30º (the minutes are fine).

On Map 7: All the 31º figures need to be changed to 29º and the one 30º figure needs to be 28º.

Map 12 [RIGHT side only] latitude figures are wrong, they should be the same numbers as on the left side.

Map 18 degree figures on both sides are wrong: the 25º figures should all be 24º, and the 26º figures should all be 25º.